• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Jawmuncher

lol. I went into battletoads arcade and did every snapshot on my first try...that is a radical change from battletoads

also, someone earlier mentioned you need 2 controllers for a milestone in Killer Instinct...what exactly do you have to do?

You have to press down b on both controllers to get to a secret stage. Also having two controllers lets you'd grind all of the stuff for arcade like 25 supreme victories. I guess so long as player two plays vs from pressing start at arcade it counts as arcade.

I thought this was 10,000 achievement points, mine says max 4000. Anyone else's ?
4000 for main game, 800 for all XBLA games, and 5200 for Kameo/PDZ/Banjo/Viva Pinata

So it makes 10,000 that way so the advertisement isn't a lie.

Anyways slowly going through Tooie. On Witchy World right now.

Gartooth

So I hooked up my Xbone yesterday, and am blocked by install times that are so fucking slow. Seeing 10 or 11 tiles pop up just became a nightmare since it already took a long time to install Killer Instinct.

Does this game have any bonus features besides "making of" and a look at the 5 cancelled games?

I own the retail disk of this game at the moment. I would like the convenience of the digital version. Would any of the existing installations or saves be affected if I now purchased the digital version?

AFAIK, there's zero difference between installation and save data between disc or digital, only the requirement of a disc in the drive or not based on license ownership of the account. So, no, buying digital will just mean you might need to 're-install' all of the existing game data installs, which should amount to a few seconds of process per chunk of data.

So I hooked up my Xbone yesterday, and am blocked by install times that are so fucking slow. Seeing 10 or 11 tiles pop up just became a nightmare since it already took a long time to install Killer Instinct.
Don't forget that you can prioritize the separate game you want to play first by selecting it in the My games & apps download queue. Anything that isn't one of the X360 BC titles will be in the Rare Replay game/app.

Does this game have any bonus features besides "making of" and a look at the 5 cancelled games?
Unreleased tunes and more concept art and early ideas for released games. Snapshots are the way to play the early games.

darkbanjo

Gah damn Conker is the funniest game I've ever played. Before this playthrough, all I had ever known it for and played was the great mighty poo. I just beat the boss that you
crush his balls with bricks
and it had me rolling. When one of those flame guys asked for another tab, was it a reference to LSD or is that british slang for a hit from the joint they were smoking?

Incredible game, even with the...questionable camera and swimming controls. Can't stop playing

Tab is slang for a cigarette.

Gartooth

Don't forget that you can prioritize the separate game you want to play first by selecting it in the My games & apps download queue. Anything that isn't one of the X360 BC titles will be in the Rare Replay game/app.

Unreleased tunes and more concept art and early ideas for released games. Snapshots are the way to play the early games.

Thanks! I will prioritize downloading RR, and then have the others queued up from there. Also great to hear that there is a lot of bonus content; it will definitely give me incentive to try and finish most of these games.

Lothar

Banned
My god this Conker game is so damn frustrating. Why won't the last
bee swarm
follow me? It's the one on top of the
barn, after you climb all those ladders

The creators of this game had the same problem while replaying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcIupBUAy98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZnNgd0JN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yct-5-Sd9kM

It took them several episodes to get past this part.

"If they're not following you, I'll throw this fucking machine out the window and right now this ends." from the second link 10:50

Sydle

Is there even any camera control in JFG? I spent a few minutes on it, checked original and modern control setups, and found no camera movement. There's manual aim mode, but I'm talking about just swinging the camera around in regular mode.

BTW what's up with the in-game control options? edit: Nevermind, i was looking at the menu for when you have modern controls turned off.

Only camera control is manual aim mode. It's a pain on the more difficult platforming sections, because I have to stop completely to avoid veering off the platform, turn my character in the right direction, and then enter manual aim mode just to get visibility on where I'm going.

I just wanted to try out Banjo Kazooie. After 10 minutes: "Well, that's it. I'm going to play this for the next 12 hours non-stop".

The creators of this game had the same problem while replaying it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcIupBUAy98
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nPZnNgd0JN0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yct-5-Sd9kM

It took them several episodes to get past this part.

"If they're not following you, I'll throw this fucking machine out the window and right now this ends." from the second link 10:50

lol, amazing.

Huzzah! I've now cleared all all 80 individual snapshots for all the games. The last couple of RC Pro AM II snapshots were a pain and I'm glad those are done now. Time to work on the rest of the 8 bit achievements... Loving this game and the achievements, gives me great reasons to continue to replay the games for a while. Its definitely one of the best retro collections I've ever played.

Man i really wish they did Conker Live&Reloaded instead of Bad Fur Day. L&R is much better with a better camera that you dont have to fight with.

I hope they do one of two things. Add Live and Reloaded as an expansion or update the camera in Bad Fur Day and Jet Force Gemini

Amazing compilation that ive already put a lot of time in, but really hope they update the controls for these two in specific.

so, my friend and I gameshare. My account is his primary and vice verse. He has two controllers, and I only have one. If I have him login to my account on his xbox and go do that thing in killer instinct for me that requires two controllers...would it unlock the achievement for me?

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
I really like the game but I fear it's going to be "Okay to beat each stage you have to collect everything." Dunno if I'll stick with that.

In order to not make Gruntilda unnecessarily difficult, you will need almost all puzzle pieces and almost all notes, yes.

munroe

so, my friend and I gameshare. My account is his primary and vice verse. He has two controllers, and I only have one. If I have him login to my account on his xbox and go do that thing in killer instinct for me that requires two controllers...would it unlock the achievement for me?

Should work as it would just be the same as if you went there yourself, signed in as yourself and got the achievement.

Hubble

Man i really wish they did Conker Live&Reloaded instead of Bad Fur Day. L&R is much better with a better camera that you dont have to fight with.

I hope they do one of two things. Add Live and Reloaded as an expansion or update the camera in Bad Fur Day and Jet Force Gemini

Amazing compilation that ive already put a lot of time in, but really hope they update the controls for these two in specific.

I agree. Rare Replay is sweet but man, I wish it was Conker Live and Reloaded instead of the original. It is one of my favorite games.

had conker live and reloaded been released on xbox 360 i believe we would have got it in rare replay
rare just didn't want to make servers, again my stupid logic x thinking
i would have loved to play online mode again, it wasnt as good as conkers bad fur day but i dont have friends to play it with in 2015 :(

Haha I'm glad I didn't try for more then. I didn't realize I was 3rd on the leaderboard for that either, barely anyone must've done that snapshot yet or something. Someone did get 14 though..

yeah #1 has the impossible 14 D: , is there a way to see how he or she did it?
i think you have to get hit by the wave at the beginning to get the first "chocolate" ( i call it that cause it looks like that haha), than get the next two and hope you dont get hit by the wave/line and bam you have 14 if you dont miss the rest

I really like Battletoads for the NES, but I have not be able to get past the turbo tunnel yet. Every time I think I'm on the last section a new, more difficult section comes up.

Should work as it would just be the same as if you went there yourself, signed in as yourself and got the achievement.

alright, ill have him try it when he is free. I wasnt sure how the achievement tracking would work changing to a different console, because this is just one step of an achievement. But I think u are right, it should work, if its just tied to profile

Gartooth

I just opened up a ton of making-of videos with my 360 achievements. 0_0

Been playing a bit of Jetpac and BattleToads. Jetpac is really fun aside from enemies popping up out of nowhere on the edges. Using rewind definitely helped me forget the nightmares this game gave me during DK64. lol

I'm also having fun with BattleToads and love the variety. I would hate this game though without the rewind button. I mean holy shit, I'm pressing the thing all the time and even with that have trouble since the timing window on some levels is so small.

The Catfish chapter in Conker is EVEN WORSE.
Funny enough Clanker's Cavern doesn't bother me as much as Atlantis in Tooie.

Clanker has a few annoying Jiggies, but it isn't too bad. I think the biggest problem is just the navigation of it due to being an underwater level. I like every other level in Banjo-Kazooie more than it though. lol

I hated Atlantis though, even though I love the town setting in Jolly Roger. I can't decide if that or Grunty Industries was the worst level in Tooie.

I agree. Rare Replay is sweet but man, I wish it was Conker Live and Reloaded instead of the original. It is one of my favorite games.

That game and the arcade Killer Instincts (guess MS wants to keep them incentives for buying KI 2013) seem like the big exclusions from the package. Hope we get it at some point, because I never played Live & Reloaded despite loving the original.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Lots of complaints about Conker in this thread. And here I thought it was supposed to be good.

I still like it a lot but it has some huge difficulty spikes that didn't age well. It was more chapter to chapter based where I don't like Bat's Tower‎ or War but the rest are fine.

Beefwheat

I got this for Jet Force Gemini basically, and instead I've gotten hooked on Banjo-Kazooie again. Haven't played it since it came out originally, and man, this game is a lovely surprise. So much fun to romp around after all the grim, serious games I've been playing lately :)

JFG holds up pretty well too, but getting reacquainted with the controls was causing some trouble. THEN: I discovered the Modern Controls option and it was a revelation.

I'm actually excited finishing BK and getting back into Banjo-Tooie which I don't remember at all. I'm even trying to avoid 'spoilers' in this thread, like it was fifteen years ago again!

Yep.
It is a game where the controls/gameplay have not held up compared to Mario 64 or Banjo.
However, the story/environment/characters are still really good. So it is worth putting up with the gimmicks to enjoy the plot.

A lot of stuff from that era pretty much boils down to gamers just don't have the patience anymore. At least I don't. I like Conker I just know I'm not going to finish it with that inverted camera and weird gameplay moments.

-MD-

Lots of complaints about Conker in this thread. And here I thought it was supposed to be good.

People will always bitch about Conker but having replayed it a few months ago it's still an excellent game.

A lot of stuff from that era pretty much boils down to gamers just don't have the patience anymore. At least I don't. I like Conker I just know I'm not going to finish it with that inverted camera and weird gameplay moments.

As pathetic as that is you're right, modern gamers just can't hang.

As pathetic as that is you're right, modern gamers just can't hang.

Depends on your situation. I have a lot of games so it's a little harder for something to grab me, plus I'm a little older now with more stuff to do besides getting sucked into a game for 3+ hours.

Dingles

Done everything but the platinum medal milestone for Blast Corps. Having to play each of those stages again to unlock the potential to unlock Platinum trophies? NO THANKZ

painey

I started playing Conker yesterday and have been stuck twice, which is odd. I gave up on the electric-water stage and went to play Banjo, and it's crazy how much better of a platformer BK is than Conker.

Got to admit, the latter half of Conker's Bad Fur Day hasn't aged well. Inverted aiming controls with no way to switch them back, strafing being mapped to the right stick, just felt really awkward to play. Made me really wish they had Live & Reloaded as an option to pick from as well, best of both worlds. Still a funny and memorable game, but unlike Banjo and Blast Corps in the N64 part of the collection, this one doesn't translate well to modern times.

I started playing Conker yesterday and have been stuck twice, which is odd. I gave up on the electric-water stage and went to play Banjo, and it's crazy how much better of a platformer BK is than Conker.
It makes sense when you learn BK was by the DKC team and Conker was the KI team.
Conker team never made a platformer before and honestly it isn't a bad first attempt.

Top Bottom