• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

daTRUballin

There are some things I really don't like about this level, but I think it's ok overall. The ghosts that you can't kill and can just float at you through walls. Having to navigate that hedge maze to get around. Having to open windows as Banjo before switching to a pumpkin and backtracking to get into the windows because you can't break them as the pumpkin. Plus having to leave the stage as a pumpkin to unlock that cheat and then backtrack all the way to Mumbo's Hut again to transform back into a bear. Actually, Monster Mansion has some of the same problems as Banjo-Tooie. :p

Actually, you can just kill the ghosts with your yellow feathers. :p

how did people cheat KI with Sabrewulf? Saw something about jump+RT, then crouch+RT and its an easy win...I am doing this and the enemy doesnt give a fuck, they just combo me till I die. Going against another Sabrewulf right now and he is destroying me in the first round

Kinsei

Banned
so I have never played Blast Corps before, and the ratios for the achievements are extremely low. Are they really difficult or something?

Only the platinum one is really difficult. It requires you to get all golds to unlock time trial and then get all golds on time trial to unlock the ability to get platinum medals.

how did people cheat KI with Sabrewulf? Saw something about jump+RT, then crouch+RT and its an easy win...I am doing this and the enemy doesnt give a fuck, they just combo me till I die. Going against another Sabrewulf right now and he is destroying me in the first round

What difficulty are you on? Are you jumping over them and then hitting RT?

Only the platinum one is really difficult. It requires you to get all golds to unlock time trial and then get all golds on time trial to unlock the ability to get platinum medals.

What difficulty are you on? Are you jumping over them and then hitting RT?

im just jumping and kicking in place and the enemy sabrewulf does some cartwheel kick that messes me up everytime...god I hate fighting games.

Edit:...forgot to set it to easy. Yeah it was normal

FyreWulff

I haven't played ghoulies yet but I always assumed it got hate because it was the first game they released for the xbox. If it had been released after a new banjo, perfect dark, or conker I think it would've been received better.

It was an E rated game on a console that was all about M rated sales. In all honesty they should have gotten that one out the door on the GameCube to make some of their money back.

daTRUballin

It was an E rated game on a console that was all about M rated sales. In all honesty they should have gotten that one out the door on the GameCube to make some of their money back.

I've heard that the game was actually supposed to be a 3d platformer on the GameCube, sorta like Banjo I guess. When the buyout happened, they turned it into a beat 'em up. Would've been interesting. ._.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I just noticed that I have the in-game milestone for completing all chapters in Conker, but I don't have the achievement. Is this a glitch, or am I missing something?

_woLf

All of the Backlash levels in Blast Corps are literally the fucking worst.

The worst. Bar none. I want to fucking punch something.

EYEL1NER

I expect this camera in Conker's Bad Fur Day to give me a lot of problems. I never played CBFD and I haven't played an old platformer in a while, so I forgot what the game's X-axis camera movement was like. Really wish I could invert it.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yup. I'm on the hard levels and they basically amount to everything focused on this damn vehicle.

Gartooth

Has anyone beaten BattleToads on this yet? I'm wondering how much trouble level 11 is causing since rewind does nothing to help. I find it hilarious that the snapshot related to that level is pretty much training for the real thing.

Aside from that game which I really wanted to try out, I've been going from the beginning. Jetpac and Lunar Jetman are completely done, and I'm working on Atic Atac.

Dalto11

I have 9/10 milestones for Blast Corps. Finding out that I have to get a Gold medal on Angel City to even have the ability to try for a platinum medal on anything has made me realize I'll never get that 10th milestone. Fuck the Backlash. It's not that it's hard in a good way, it was just a poorly designed mechanic.

Drago

Ghoulies complete! Got 99 books, need to go back to get the last one I missed near the end... had to get out and only had 30 seconds! Gonna tackle the 20 bonus challenges and then I can move on.

Awesome game. Very simple, but very fun. I was surprised that I was able to go all 100 levels without getting tired of it, I usually can't stand beat em ups for that long. Probably the best surprise of the collection so far, glad I got to play it as I doubt I ever would have if Rare Replay didn't exist.

Great port too, game looked fantastic and ran butter smooth. I wish the N64 games got this level of treatment, but it's understandable that they didn't.

Navy Bean

First time playing Banjo-Kazooie. Was only gonna try it out...3 hours later and I'm hooked. Game is just really fun, looks great, and other than an occasional camera issue it plays great. Can't wait to try Viva and Perfect Dark.

Pez

Does anybody have suggestions for the monocycle race sequence near the end of Battletoads?

Super hard there.

Kinsei

Banned
Does anybody have suggestions for the monocycle race sequence near the end of Battletoads?

Super hard there.

Clinger Winger? You need to take every turn almost perfectly. Rewind doesn't really help here since a mistake at the start might not come back and bite you in the ass until the very end.

From what I've read, Conker's audio is already bleeped - it isn't engine based. The original audio files on the Xbox disc were apparently censored before being put to use in the game.

I guess that means Love and Reloaded would never be uncensored.

Super hard there.

there is a way to kind of cheat it. Pause the game right as u take a corner. If you do it at the exact right moment, it will look like you are not even on the cycle and it is at a 45 degree angle. Press the direction u have to go next, then unpause. It will give u a little boost. The ball that chases u wasnt even on my screen when I finished it while doing this. Just keep rewinding every turn until u do the perfect pause

I am loving Conker so far. It's the only Rare N64 game I've never played and it's absolutely hilarious and the game itself is awesome. Camera is a bit of a nuisance at times but at 5 hours in I'm loving it. I'm also surprisingly enjoying Lunar Jetman. Just finished up all the snapshots for that game and although #5 took me way longer than it should have, it's actually a pretty good game.

Bsigg12

From what I've read, Conker's audio is already bleeped - it isn't engine based. The original audio files on the Xbox disc were apparently censored before being put to use in the game.

I guess that means Love and Reloaded would never be uncensored.

Some things on the N64 version were censored go begin with. Emulation on the PC is able to remove that so some people thought it was Microsoft censoring it again when in reality it already was.

MrGerbils

Has anyone beaten BattleToads on this yet? I'm wondering how much trouble level 11 is causing since rewind does nothing to help. I find it hilarious that the snapshot related to that level is pretty much training for the real thing.

Aside from that game which I really wanted to try out, I've been going from the beginning. Jetpac and Lunar Jetman are completely done, and I'm working on Atic Atac.

I was having a blast with Battletoads until I got to this level. I'm too damn old for this shit :p

Edit: no wait, it's rat race that I'm stuck on. Even with rewinds I can't beat that damn rat.

Lothar

Banned
I have 9/10 milestones for Blast Corps. Finding out that I have to get a Gold medal on Angel City to even have the ability to try for a platinum medal on anything has made me realize I'll never get that 10th milestone. Fuck the Backlash. It's not that it's hard in a good way, it was just a poorly designed mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5FlOYCjSc This is doing it in 1:24 to get a platinum. For gold, you just need 2:50. Looks like you're given a lot of lee way to make mistakes. Come on, don't give up.

And then once you get all the gold, you try to get all the platinums. I wonder if I'm the only one here who did that.

I was having a blast with Battletoads until I got to this level. I'm too damn old for this shit :p

Edit: no wait, it's rat race that I'm stuck on. Even with rewinds I can't beat that damn rat.

You know you have to hit the rat to slow him down. Don't use rewind. That's cheating.

goldenpp72

Anyone else kinda bummed they didn't bother to do snapshots for the later games? I would have had a lot of fun with more of those.

Bsigg12

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY5FlOYCjSc This is doing it in 1:24 to get a platinum. For gold, you just need 2:50. Looks like you're given a lot of lee way to make mistakes. Come on, don't give up.

And then once you get all the gold, you try to get all the platinums. I wonder if I'm the only one here who did that.

You know you have to hit the rat to slow him down. Don't use rewind. That's cheating.

I'm not here to break controllers, I'm using it all I want. Same with Infinite lives.

munroe

I have no patience for Knightlore the framerate just drops far too low when you enter a room containing anything

Lunar jetman suffered as well but not nearly as bad as Knightlore

MrGerbils

Don't use rewind. That's cheating.

If it wasn't for rewind, I wouldn't be playing any of the retro games more than 5-10 min before putting them down forever. At least this way I've gotten to personally experience most of the content. Apologies if you don't approve of the way I like to relax and have fun :p

I beat Grabbed by the Ghoulies a couple of hours ago! One down!

Now that I've finished it, I'm happy I got to experience it because I didn't own an original Xbox until near the end of its generation and never bothered with Xbox Originals last gen.

GBtG is a unique and neat game, albeit one that gets repetitive and frustrating. It's cheap and it's unfair, but it's also fun and immersive, to the point where you can overlook some of its faults. The combat, itself, isn't perfect either, because of enemy crowding and the odd control issue.

It has too many chokepoints, though. Some of the rooms got pretty frustrating.

Pjsprojects

Anyone having trouble with Viva pinata not giving the option to save?
I have the Xbox set to home console so live is shared between four of us. Out of the four of us only two of us get the save option. The game just keeps asking for a sign in profile even when one is signed in for the other two.

It's so validating to see after all this time it wasn't just me back in the 90s that hated that thing. There was one stage with buildings on either side of a train track that I could never finish because backlash is shit and a terrible vehicle.

Is there an online community for Perfect Dark Zero? Have no love for single player but the Infected mode was pretty cool, from what I remember, would love to give that another go.

Is there an online community for Perfect Dark Zero? Have no love for single player but the Infected mode was pretty cool, from what I remember, would love to give that another go.

Not really, but there is something wrong with matchmaking imo.

Search for custom matches = "no matches available" (even if it's deathmatch)
Search for quick deathmatch = connecting within seconds (only 3-5 players though).

Has anyone had issues with Blast Corps freezing on them? It's done it maybe 5 times so far. No problems with the other games (although I have yet to play any other N64 games).

minx

So stupid question but how do I use the rewind feature? I have mostly been playing snapshots of the older games so maybe it isn't allowed there but the game never explained how to use this feature.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Surprised people beat "It's War" from Conker. The lasers are just unfair.

The timed part?

I (possibly stupidly) forgot you can crouch and crawl which is necessary for some of those.

but prepare yourself for the next section outside because it's even worse.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
There are some things I really don't like about this level, but I think it's ok overall. The ghosts that you can't kill and can just float at you through walls. Having to navigate that hedge maze to get around. Having to open windows as Banjo before switching to a pumpkin and backtracking to get into the windows because you can't break them as the pumpkin. Plus having to leave the stage as a pumpkin to unlock that cheat and then backtrack all the way to Mumbo's Hut again to transform back into a bear. Actually, Monster Mansion has some of the same problems as Banjo-Tooie. :p

You don't need to go back to transform back, just go to the Gobi's Valley puzzle and Mumbo will transform you back automatically. Same holds for Mumbo Mountain, Bubblegloop Swamp and Click Clock Wood where you need to leave the level with your transformed character.

It's so validating to see after all this time it wasn't just me back in the 90s that hated that thing. There was one stage with buildings on either side of a train track that I could never finish because backlash is shit and a terrible vehicle.

Yup. This was me 18 years ago. Loved the game but quit because I couldn't do that level.

Top Bottom