• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

addyb

Thought it was just me imagining the slight lag on conkers jump. It is a bit annoying especially after playing banjo. It's clunky. Good job it's good fun. The conversation he has with the reaper is hilarious with him moaning about cats lol.

Roto13

Man, Banjo-Tooie takes forever to get going. 35 minutes and I'm only just now getting to Mayahem Temple. This game was ahead of its time but not in a good way. :p

Xemnas89

So I'm finding that I don't really have to much trouble with the swimming controls in conker but I sure wasn't a fan of swimming through the blades. Don't know who though that was a good idea.

HOLY SHIT FINALLY

just crushed beyond the impossible. Almost looped turbo tunnel twice. Got 4:25 as my time. This was after about 10+ hours total trying

The Flash

Banned
HOLY SHIT FINALLY

just crushed beyond the impossible. Almost looped turbo tunnel twice. Got 4:25 as my time. This was after about 10+ hours total trying

giphy.gif

Camjo-Z

Decided to replay Nuts & Bolts and... I'm not seeing the huge framerate problems people have been talking about. It dips every once in a while in Showdown Town, sure, but other than that it's pretty much the same as I remember it on 360. Anyone holding out on trying it due to claims that it's unplayable should give it a shot anyway.

Roto13

Banjo-Tooie.

Walk to place.

Get a move.

Walk back to place you saw earlier to use move.

Walk to other place.

change to Mumbo.

Walk to Mumbo pad.

Open doors.

Walk back to Mumbo's hut.

Enter doors.

Learn move.

Walk back to start of level to use move.

etc.

This game is kind of a drag you know

daTRUballin

Banjo-Tooie.

Walk to place.

Get a move.

Walk back to place you saw earlier to use move.

Walk to other place.

change to Mumbo.

Walk to Mumbo pad.

Open doors.

Walk back to Mumbo's hut.

Enter doors.

Learn move.

Walk back to start of level to use move.

etc.

This game is kind of a drag you know

Well, what did you expect from a 3d platformer that came out on the N64? Especially from Rare. :p

Roto13

Well, what did you expect from a 3d platformer that came out on the N64? Especially from Rare. :p

Banjo-Kazooie wasn't really like this, though. Everything was more tight. Not a lot of wandering around and looking for keys (in the form of moves and characters) and getting from point A to point B in a level didn't take very long. I was hoping this would be more like Banjo-Kazooie than Donkey Kong 64. :p

daTRUballin

Banjo-Kazooie wasn't really like this, though. Everything was more tight. Not a lot of wandering around and looking for keys (in the form of moves and characters) and getting from point A to point B in a level didn't take very long. I was hoping this would be more like Banjo-Kazooie than Donkey Kong 64. :p

I'd say it's probably less bloated than Donkey Kong 64. I may be wrong though. Banjo Tooie came out after DK64, so I'm guessing some improvements were probably made. They're both huge games, though. :p

Man, Banjo-Tooie takes forever to get going. 35 minutes and I'm only just now getting to Mayahem Temple. This game was ahead of its time but not in a good way. :p

Banjo Kazooie is brilliantly paced, Tooie is a bit bloated in comparaison. One of the reasons why I think BK is a better overall game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Beat Bad Fur Day.

The Beach part at the end of War can suck all the dicks in the world. I somehow phased that out of my memory.

Banjo-Kazooie is one of the best games of all-time. I played it a lot as a kid, and plan to play through it again.

I still don't know how I didn't rush out to buy, or even get renting, Banjo-Tooie. I'd sold and re-purchased an N64 before I ended up buying it, and then it disappeared. I'd like to know who took it.

flak57

Worth mentioning the great fast travel system in Tooie though, couldn't imagine the game without it.

daTRUballin

Worth mentioning the great fast travel system in Tooie though, couldn't imagine the game without it.

Donkey Kong 64 had the same thing with the numbered warps. People always criticize those two games, but they act like they never used these warps or something.

Sydle

Banjo Kazooie is brilliantly paced, Tooie is a bit bloated in comparaison. One of the reasons why I think BK is a better overall game.

Agreed.

I love to go through BK every few years and it just feels good the whole way through. I don't ever want to touch Tooie again because of how big the levels are and how often I get lost.

Bumhead

Banned
I assume not liking Banjo-Kazooie would make one a pretty terrible person, right? It's a cross I'll have to bare, I guess. Started the game tonight and honestly it's all just very "eeeeh" to me. I have almost zero nostalgia to the N64 or that era of platformers and playing Banjo for the first time in 2015 just does nothing for me. I've had a better experience playing Pro-Am and Battletoads.

I also started Grabbed by the Ghoulies and I kinda like that! It's fun in a really cheesy and naff way.

Agreed. BT is the weak point for me, not N&B.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just finished Conker. The aiming controls in the late-game levels were really frustrating to deal with, and the section with a bunch of rocket-launcher enemies towards the end was ridiculous. Other than those parts, though, I liked the game.

Just finished Conker. The aiming controls in the late-game levels were really frustrating to deal with, and the section with a bunch of rocket-launcher enemies towards the end was ridiculous. Other than those parts, though, I liked the game.

I wonder if they plan on improving the controls for Conker through a patch ala JFG.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.

Yup, just mentioned that above, haha.

The Spooky chapter was always fine to me considering you can leverage the environment to shoot enemies, but War has SO MANY STUNLOCKS where you can just die off of one hit. The final part is the culmination of that with the rockets everywhere.

The inverted aiming didn't help at all.

Grassy

I agree after just doing a 100% run of Banjo-Kazooie and then jumping straight into Banjo-Tooie. I did play BT back on the Nintendo 64 but the framerate stopped me from getting more than a few hours into it, so it feels like I'm playing it for the first time.

The game is huge, but the amount of back-tracking you have to do early on is jarring. As others have said, it feels a bit bloated. It takes a while to get into gear.There were jiggies in the first world that I was struggling to get, only to work out I had to go to the next world to obtain a move and go back. It's not ideal, but once you work out the shortcuts and enable the warps it makes it easier to live with. It's cool that some of the levels are inter-connected too.

I'm still enjoying the hell out of it though, I think the good outweighs the bad so far(I'm still only up to Glitter-Gulch Mine). The only thing I'm not really a fan of is the FPS sections, if there was a mini-map it would make it so much better. It's hard to know if you've found everything.

TEHJOE

Neo Member
Nice..... I just wasted 2 hours going the wrong way. The correct way repels your ship.

I love this game but the snapshots tend to be poorly implemented,planned or some mixture of the two around 75% of the time.

For challenge two you need to press A and X.

Nice..... I just wasted 2 hours going the wrong way. The correct way repels your ship.

I love this game but the snapshots tend to be poorly implemented,planned or some mixture of the two around 75% of the time.

For challenge two you need to press A and X.

Thanks for that, I'll give that a shot :)

And yeah, I made the same mistake with snapshot 4, I went left initially but got repelled so headed off right in the complete wrong direction for some time...

I like the snapshots for the most part, many taught me nuances of the games but there were the odd ones that could have been a little clearer.

If I buy the disc version of Rare Replay, do I still need the disc inserted to play the XBLA and X360 games?

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer based on the quick search I made.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I wonder if they plan on improving the controls for Conker through a patch ala JFG.

I wonder why they haven't already. The shooting controls have pretty much the exact same problems that JFG's did. I know there's less of it in Conker, but still...

Yup, just mentioned that above, haha.

The Spooky chapter was always fine to me considering you can leverage the environment to shoot enemies, but War has SO MANY STUNLOCKS where you can just die off of one hit. The final part is the culmination of that with the rockets everywhere.

The inverted aiming didn't help at all.

Yeah, I had some problems when I first started the Spooky chapter, but eventually figured out ways to make it manageable. Plus, you don't even have to kill most of the zombies in the mansion--you can just run from them. Can't really do that as much in the War chapter--when you're in those corridors, you pretty much always have to be ready to shoot.

The rockets, though... man. I just could not take them out in time. Seemed like every time I got to a certain point, one killed me while I was trying to take a different one out. I ended up just running through it--died a lot of times trying to do that too, but eventually I was able to make it through.

EDIT:

If I buy the disc version of Rare Replay, do I still need the disc inserted to play the XBLA and X360 games?

Sorry if it's been asked before, but I couldn't find an answer based on the quick search I made.

Yes, you do.

I wish they would do another patch on JFG to make the second/right analog stick for camera movement only.

I'm really interested in seeing how Rare supports this game going forward. Controls have advanced a big time since most of the 3D games have been released.

Top Bottom