• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

As much as I love conker I can't stand the controls now. Kameo is the highlight for single player for me. For multiplayer pro am and toads have been a ton of fun so far.

For some reason I never played the banjo series but I'm sure I'll be happy to if I get the chance.I know that I hear nuts and bolts is the worst but the concept sounds awesome to me.

terrible

Banned
At least I finished the snapshots for cobra triangle
13 is the max you can get for snap #3 , it's impossible , wasted 45 minutes of my life trying to get 14 haha

Haha I'm glad I didn't try for more then. I didn't realize I was 3rd on the leaderboard for that either, barely anyone must've done that snapshot yet or something. Someone did get 14 though..

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
Kudos to anyone who can get to level 10 in Lunar Jetman without rewind. That game was brutal. I could only get to level 4 without rewinding. Surprisingly, I found the snapshots to be all pretty easy compared to the game proper.

Pez

Was really enjoying Banjo Kazooie until that ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE quiz show final level.

Wtf were they thinking? Just ruins the entire game, fuck that shit to hell and back.

The fuck.

RoKKeR

Thank you SO MUCH to whoever mentioned holding down RB while swimming in BK. made Clanker's Cavern way more bearable and I'm into the next zone.

Really, really enjoying this game. So happy I am finally getting around to it.

Zomba13

Was really enjoying Banjo Kazooie until that ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE quiz show final level.

Wtf were they thinking? Just ruins the entire game, fuck that shit to hell and back.

The fuck.

Yup. Was actually worse than I remember it being.

Xemnas89

So yeah these shooter controls in conker are completely backwards. I keep screwing up because my mind is used to have the right stick aim. Aiming with the left stick while moving with right just doesn't work well. I hope they put out a patch to change this.

Roto13

The fuck.

Yeah. That sucks. And the last boss sucks too. It's ok to just stop playing it there.

Been having a blast with Conker until now. At the underwater part rght after helping the gay cog (haha) and it is just dreadful. I got the switch and still don't know where the hell to go. I've drowned like 10 times

The fuck.

What? Surprised, I always loved the Quiz Show since I first played it in 1998.

The only part I don't like is the Grunty Trivia because it's randomly generated and I always forget which answer is correct in whatever save I'm currently playing.

Richie

Banjo Kazooie is still an absolute pleasure to play all through these years, 100%-ing these levels left and right. The game is chock-full with charm, from the animations to the personalities to the humor.

Surprised to see so much hate toward Banjo Tooie, recall adoring it as a kid, albeit I can see the validity of those points that detractors bring up the most. Time to see if it holds up, but only after I play other games; funnily enough, I feel that if I jump into Tooie right after Kazooie, the much reviled Nuts and Bolts will actually appear as a welcome breath of fresh air. (Very curious to try that one out now that I have my expectations in check).

One thing I do vividly realize while playing Kazooie is that, as funny as the dialogue can get here and there, Tooie has it absolutely beat in that regard. I remember Tooie going nonstop with the comedy, enhanced by how dark it was willing to go with it. Seriously looking forward to that game's script.

I never played most of these games and am tempted to get it just worried that I will stop playing after 30min...

Admittedly I have a bias toward 16-bit and higher and so the NES stuff to me hasn't aged well, but the entire compilation has SO MUCH variety in game type and era that you will find value in this.

I never got a chance to play Perfect Dark the first time around and I was expecting it to be underwhelming without the aid of nostalgia goggles, but I'm actually hooked on the game. It's strangely compelling.

Speaking of which, if we did a poll of GAF's favorite game in the entire collection, what would come out on top?

For me, so far it's PD all the way.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
For some reason I never played the banjo series but I'm sure I'll be happy to if I get the chance.I know that I hear nuts and bolts is the worst but the concept sounds awesome to me.

Most of the people who hate Nuts & Bolts hate it for what it isn't, not for what it is. Nuts & Bolts is a great game, as long as you don't care that it's nothing like the original or Tooie. The game could stand to have a bit more polish in certain areas, but building vehicles and having the parts you use actually affect the vehicle's physics is an interesting and utterly unique concept--as far as I'm aware, there isn't another game out there like Nuts & Bolts.

Cindro

I am taking this advice. =(
No way dude! The last boss is fine - even enjoyable, some might say. The ending is also a fantastic little bookend to the game.

If memory serves the only quiz show questions you can't look up online are the pieces of info Brentilda gives you, and it's not hard at all to zip through the lair to get her notes from each location. You could do it in ten minutes or less, I'll bet.

You're this far - see it through!

Zomba13

Yeah. That sucks. And the last boss sucks too. It's ok to just stop playing it there.

Oh yeah, the boss sucks too. It was like they though "hey, we'll have a boss every world" but then thought "nah, lets not" and then thought "what if we put every boss idea into one big boss at the end?". It's too long, gets a bit cheap with the fireballs and requires too much precision with the eggs for the last statue. Up to the phase before that it's ok, long but not too hard or annoying but the final statue with all that shit going on and no breaks is bad. Managed to actually do it this time around though, didn't beat it back in the day.

Also the Bottles Puzzles minigame is made sooooooo much harder with the shit controls. Eventually did them all though despite the controls fighting me every step.

Roto13

Oh yeah, the boss sucks too. It was like they though "hey, we'll have a boss every world" but then thought "nah, lets not" and then thought "what if we put every boss idea into one big boss at the end?". It's too long, gets a bit cheap with the fireballs and requires too much precision with the eggs for the last statue. Up to the phase before that it's ok, long but not too hard or annoying but the final statue with all that shit going on and no breaks is bad. Managed to actually do it this time around though, didn't beat it back in the day.

Also the Bottles Puzzles minigame is made sooooooo much harder with the shit controls. Eventually did them all though despite the controls fighting me every step.

The boss is tolerable up until the point where it expects you to aim at statues that are in one direction while dodging fireballs that are coming from the opposite direction. Good luck dodging something you can't look at.

Banjo Kazooie is still an absolute pleasure to play all through these years, 100%-ing these levels left and right. The game is chock-full with charm, from the animations to the personalities to the humor.

Surprised to see so much hate toward Banjo Tooie, recall adoring it as a kid, albeit I can see the validity of those points that detractors bring up the most. Time to see if it holds up, but only after I play other games; funnily enough, I feel that if I jump into Tooie right after Kazooie, the much reviled Nuts and Bolts will actually appear as a welcome breath of fresh air. (Very curious to try that one out now that I have my expectations in check).

One thing I do vividly realize while playing Kazooie is that, as funny as the dialogue can get here and there, Tooie has it absolutely beat in that regard. I remember Tooie going nonstop with the comedy, enhanced by how dark it was willing to go with it. Seriously looking forward to that game's script.

If only there wasn't so goddamn much talking in the opening. Bitches need to shut up for a minute and let me play. The part where you're trying not to let Bottles' family know that he's dead is hilarious, though. They stop just short of going "Boy, oh, boy, I sure am glad my dad is alive!"

Nowise10

Playing through the Banjo franchise. Just finished Tooie tonight, and moved onto Nuts and Bolts right after. The framerate in Nuts and Bolts is really bad. Like its 15fps or less while looking at most parts in the city. Hopefully MS can fix that....

It is such an amazing experience to play through everyone of them in order. I feel like Nuts and Bolts will be so much better now having the experience of the two previous games.

klaus

If you like building crazy vehicles and can live with some annoying missions, you're in for a real treat! Just spent a whole evening building catapults together with a friend just for the heck of it. Even if you don't like the main game, Klungo's arcade game is the true goat, even tough it crashes often ;)

I wish they would do another patch on JFG to make the second/right analog stick for camera movement only.

Is there even any camera control in JFG? I spent a few minutes on it, checked original and modern control setups, and found no camera movement. There's manual aim mode, but I'm talking about just swinging the camera around in regular mode.

BTW what's up with the in-game control options? edit: Nevermind, i was looking at the menu for when you have modern controls turned off.

Bsigg12

Playing through the Banjo franchise. Just finished Tooie tonight, and moved onto Nuts and Bolts right after. The framerate in Nuts and Bolts is really bad. Like its 15fps or less while looking at most parts in the city. Hopefully MS can fix that....

It is such an amazing experience to play through everyone of them in order. I feel like Nuts and Bolts will be so much better now having the experience of the two previous games.

Yea I've decided to hold off on Nuts and Bolts after playing the first two because of how rough the framerates can get.

Drago

Got a bunch of stamps from Atic Atac and Gunfright tonight, two more games to check off out of 30. Woop. (Trying to get at least 5 stamps from every non-360 title)

I've been playing a lot of Ghoulies since yesterday or so. Simple but fun game. It really does look fantastic visually! Somewhere in Chapter 3 now with 63 bonus books, trying to get all of them. Gonna be busy all day tomorrow so I'm gonna try to bang out the rest on Wednesday

dunno what to play after that though! I'm thinking Kameo. Not sure why, just feels like a good game to move onto next. Or I could put all my focus on completing Banjo Tooie. There's still so much I need to play. x_x

Burning Justice

the superior princess
I've never olayed Kameo or Ghoulies. My mind is racing with all that there is to do in this collection. Going to see Kazooie off

Speaking of which, the trivia quiz.

I mean, i have t been taking any notes thinking i'll just go online. But are some of you saying theres stuff in the quiz that cant be looked up? What do i need to be doing here? Writing down everytbing her sister says?

Yeah, just find all of the places Brentilda appears and remember/write down everything she says (remember to talk to her 3 times in each location). Grunty's "disgusting secrets" are randomized on every playthrough, so you can't look them up.

Yeah, just find all of the places Brentilda appears and remember/write down everything she says (remember to talk to her 3 times in each location). Grunty's "disgusting secrets" are randomized on every playthrough, so you can't look them up.

I'm only 2 worlds in, and reading this is giving me stress. I guess I should be writing that stuff down.

eastx

I haven't seen anyone hating on Banjo Tooie. Criticizing a game for bloat or not being as good as its predecessor is a far cry from hating on it.

Gah damn Conker is the funniest game I've ever played. Before this playthrough, all I had ever known it for and played was the great mighty poo. I just beat the boss that you
crush his balls with bricks
and it had me rolling. When one of those flame guys asked for another tab, was it a reference to LSD or is that british slang for a hit from the joint they were smoking?

Incredible game, even with the...questionable camera and swimming controls. Can't stop playing

Richie

If only there wasn't so goddamn much talking in the opening. Bitches need to shut up for a minute and let me play. The part where you're trying not to let Bottles' family know that he's dead is hilarious, though. They stop just short of going "Boy, oh, boy, I sure am glad my dad is alive!"

Incidentally, did they fix the soundtrack for the opening? IIRC the original 360 remaster had a glitch where the music was out of sync with the action. And man, am I looking to that meeting over Bottles' house, should be even funnier as a young adult.

I haven't seen anyone hating on Banjo Tooie. Criticizing a game for bloat or not being as good as its predecessor is a far cry from hating on it.

Admittedly I wasn't having this thread in mind, but rather the RTTP recently necrobumped, where extreme distaste for the game popped up in some posts, beginning right with the OP. Not that I mind, people are entitled to their opinion, it was just curious for me.

Nowise10

I just finished Tooie tonight, and will say they made it much too hard, and in a lot of instances in the later levels, it just became frustrating trying to solve some puzzles. With Banjo Kazooie, it stilled required some thinking and exploring, but was always reasonable in difficulty. in Tooie, it just became absolutely insane. A lot of the levels I would put an hour or more into, and not have discovered a way to get a single Jiggy. I had to use online guides a lot more for Tooie, then I did was Kazooie.

lol. I went into battletoads arcade and did every snapshot on my first try...that is a radical change from battletoads

also, someone earlier mentioned you need 2 controllers for a milestone in Killer Instinct...what exactly do you have to do?

addyb

I'm currently on gobi desert on banjo. 5 other areas done and dusted. Freezeezy peak is such a joy as always. Never really liked gobi that much but I'll do it.

Oh and I think my game glitched last night. I forgot what jiggy it was on freezeezy but it appears right at the top on the snowmans hat. I flew up there and landed and as I killed the ice cube enemies surrounding it, it just disappeared so now I have 9/10 jiggies. I've not been back in so maybe it's reset. I think you get it from beating all the surrounding snowmen.

I thought this was 10,000 achievement points, mine says max 4000. Anyone else's ?

the 360 games are the other 6,000

I think them saying the game had 10,000 was a little misleading, especially because people could already have the gamerscore from Viva pinata, banjo, etc..

Grassy

I just finished Tooie tonight, and will say they made it much too hard, and in a lot of instances in the later levels, it just became frustrating trying to solve some puzzles. With Banjo Kazooie, it stilled required some thinking and exploring, but was always reasonable in difficulty. in Tooie, it just became absolutely insane. A lot of the levels I would put an hour or more into, and not have discovered a way to get a single Jiggy. I had to use online guides a lot more for Tooie, then I did was Kazooie.

So far I'm up to the 3rd level and I'm averaging two hours per level or more, and I still need to do some back-tracking. I don't want to use guides, but I'm struggling with some jiggies at the moment.
Sometimes it's hard to tell if you can even access a jiggy, or if you have to come back after learning a new move. It's kind of frustrating but I'll keep chugging along.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
lol. I went into battletoads arcade and did every snapshot on my first try...that is a radical change from battletoads

also, someone earlier mentioned you need 2 controllers for a milestone in Killer Instinct...what exactly do you have to do?

You can't play on all the stages in the game without a second controller. For that you both need to do an input on the controller while selecting a charater.

I've never played any of the Banjo games and I'm grabbing an Xbox along with this collection next month hopefully. Can't wait to experience some of these classics!

Crumpet

Neo Member
I own the retail disk of this game at the moment. I would like the convenience of the digital version. Would any of the existing installations or saves be affected if I now purchased the digital version?

My god this Conker game is so damn frustrating. Why won't the last
bee swarm
follow me? It's the one on top of the
barn, after you climb all those ladders

Top Bottom