• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

I never played Conker until now, but played all the other Rare n64 games when they came out.

Conker is visually and audio-wise very impressive as an N64 game. It's pretty funny too. I revisit old games constantly and discover ones I missed out on a lot too. Some of them have simply aged bad, and Conker is one of them. Compared to Banjo it has astonishingly poor platforming and slow/inaccurate "combat" controls. It's a genuinely cumbersome game to play.

There's lots of humor to enjoy about it though, and I'm liking it enough, but it is not as good as I expected from both the fan praise and the legacy of Rare from that time.

terrible

Banned
yeah #1 has the impossible 14 D: , is there a way to see how he or she did it?
i think you have to get hit by the wave at the beginning to get the first "chocolate" ( i call it that cause it looks like that haha), than get the next two and hope you dont get hit by the wave/line and bam you have 14 if you dont miss the rest

If I don't miss any of the pods I can only get a max of 13 but when I start missing them more appear than usual. If it is dynamic and not just random I'm guessing we'd have to figure out which pods to miss in order to be able to collect 14 instead of 13.

There's no way to see how #1 did it unless they made a clip of it :(

daTRUballin

Is it just me, or does it seem like Grabbed by the Ghoulies is getting a lot of love and Conker is getting a lot of hate? Is it opposite week on GAF or something? :p

painey

Is it just me, or does it seem like Grabbed by the Ghoulies is getting a lot of love and Conker is getting a lot of hate? Is it opposite week on GAF or something? :p

to be fair, GbtG is a 2015 remaster, and Conker is a pretty badly emulated 2001 game. It's a lot easier to spot the flaws in Conker nowdays

T.O.P

Banned
Welp started Conker just to see how the game holds up before going on a full playthrough

Played for 4 hours lol

How is this game still so damn funny? it also feels so freakin weird to replay it with an "adult" mind

Sooooo much stuff went over my head when as a kid lol

_

Btw KI Gold is absolute shite, wow, didn't remember how bad of a port it was, especially after playing the Arcade version from the Season 2

It's a crazy long game especially if you're trying to collect everything.
I think I only missed 1 achievement on my 360, but a while back I wiped my 360 HDD and my save went with it, so I'll have to start from scratch if I want that one achievement. Thankfully it's a good excuse for me to play the game again :)

The Flash

Banned
Section 5 of Turbo Tunnel is insane. I made a save point just before it starts so I can practice but I still haven't successfully gone through it.

Section 5 of Turbo Tunnel is insane. I made a save point just before it starts so I can practice but I still haven't successfully gone through it.

are u using the stick or D pad? I was using the stick for the whole course, then switched to D Pad at the exclamation mark part till the end, I felt it made it way easier...idk why

minx

I'm going to start the collection tonight. Kind of a weird question but which games would be relaxing to play while I listen to podcasts?

daTRUballin

to be fair, GbtG is a 2015 remaster, and Conker is a pretty badly emulated 2001 game. It's a lot easier to spot the flaws in Conker nowdays

I dunno. It's just so bizarre seeing a lot of people liking GbtG in Rare Replay. The game is usually absolutely despised for whatever reason. And Conker is absolutely loved by many, but now it's a "flawed game". :p

I'm going to start the collection tonight. Kind of a weird question but which games would be relaxing to play while I listen to podcasts?

Battletoads arcade is mindless fun pretty much. If you care about achievements, u need to play through it 3 times as well. I listened to some podcasts while playing that. The original battletoads requires some thought, but you can rewind and make it easier. Either of those would be good.

Is there much of a community on XBL for Perfect Dark Zero MP?

Not sure of the answer to this, but even if not we should try to arrange a GAF meet on this game at some point. It may be a poor memory, but while I remember the campaign being terrible, I remember PDZ multiplayer being a blast, especially the Special Ops mode, and I played it intermittently but fairly regularly pretty much from launch up until Halo 3's launch.

Regarding the Conker complaints, it's plain to me the wrong version is in this collection. There's a truly brilliant game deep in Conker, and the Xbox version smoothed out the ridiculous difficulty spikes and unfair sections and sorted out the areas with really fucked up control. Everything about the story mode is better... except the censorship. But one would think it'd be easy enough to patch out the bleeps by replacing audio files, surely? It was also already 360 backwards compatible, so it already worked to an extent.

I guess there's a deeper reason, though, which is probably that they didn't want to have to work around patching out or removing a now defunct multiplayer with Xbox Live 1.0 dead. Alas.

I use the dpad all the way through. It's way more responsive imo.

i dont really have any advice other than what everyone always says, to match up the movements with the sound the pillars make when they appear on the screen. I never did it perfectly in my practice runs.

Fotos

Except for in Trouble In Paradise when Professor Pester comes over to wreck your shit, then it gets ass clenchingly tense. Prepare your anus.

My buddy showed me a glitch where you build a wall in your garden where he shows up. He just runs into the wall and gives up. Eventually he just gets forever stuck outside the boundaries and never comes in so you can delete the walls

Xemnas89

I dunno. It's just so bizarre seeing a lot of people liking GbtG in Rare Replay. The game is usually absolutely despised for whatever reason. And Conker is absolutely loved by many, but now it's a "flawed game". :p

I haven't played ghoulies yet but I always assumed it got hate because it was the first game they released for the xbox. If it had been released after a new banjo, perfect dark, or conker I think it would've been received better.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Just finished Jet Force Gemini. I played it as a kid, but was never able to completely finish the game back then. So this is my first time ever finishing it. Collecting all of the Tribals was... not nearly as hard as I thought it would be. There were only a few that were tricky to find.

Could not go back to the original controls, but had a lot of fun with the game after the control patch was released.

Also, it's very obvious some names were removed from the credits in this version... I'm guessing those were the Nintendo names? Removing logos is one thing, but I'm not sure how I feel about them taking names out of the credits...

The Flash

Banned
i dont really have any advice other than what everyone always says, to match up the movements with the sound the pillars make when they appear on the screen. I never did it perfectly in my practice runs.

I honestly feel like that's messing me up more than it's helping. I'll get this achievement eventually.

eshwaaz

Regarding the Conker complaints, it's plain to me the wrong version is in this collection. There's a truly brilliant game deep in Conker, and the Xbox version smoothed out the ridiculous difficulty spikes and unfair sections and sorted out the areas with really fucked up control. Everything about the story mode is better... except the censorship. But one would think it'd be easy enough to patch out the bleeps by replacing audio files, surely? It was also already 360 backwards compatible, so it already worked to an extent.

I guess there's a deeper reason, though, which is probably that they didn't want to have to work around patching out or removing a now defunct multiplayer with Xbox Live 1.0 dead. Alas.
Unfortunately, the violence was also toned down. Seeing Tediz' heads explode was shocking and darkly funny in the original game, but totally removed from the Xbox version. I'll never understand why they backpedaled on the mature content, especially on what was supposedly the more adult-focused console.

StillEdge

That Underwurlde game is the worst game I have ever played. I have no idea who has the patience for something like that. Just over jumping everything and impossible to actually get the gems or use the rope. 😩😩😩

Gartooth

So the rewind feature + save states got me to Clinger Winger on BattleToads. This is the first day I've ever touched this game, and I probably would've given up on Turbo Tunnels had I played the original version.

Seriously though, fuck this level. Rewind does jack squat to help most of the time since it isn't precise for the perfect frame precision to outrun the circle. I've been using save states and am near the end, but this large up and down stretch dooms me.

daTRUballin

I haven't played ghoulies yet but I always assumed it got hate because it was the first game they released for the xbox. If it had been released after a new banjo, perfect dark, or conker I think it would've been received better.

That's definitely a factor, but I've always thought it was mostly because many people were still bitter about the buyout back then. Ghoulies came out only a year after the buyout, so it was still fresh in gamer's minds back then.

Rare just received a lot of hate back then because they were "traitors".

I made it to chapter 3 in Grabbed by the Ghoulies last night, and am enjoying it. There were a couple of cheap spots, though, where it'd throw an unfair amount of enemies at me and expect me to work magic, but I got past 'em.

I still feel it's an underappreciated game, but it isn't great. I mean, it's flawed and repetitive, but still quite neat.

addyb

God I hate monster mansion on BK. Forgot about it. Just hasn't got a good flow to it at all. Game will always be one of my all time favs but it does dip in quality in this area imo. Outside the tunnel that leads to the mansion is another path that leads to brentilda and a small hole in the wall. I can't remember but do you transform into the pumpkin to get through that?

Kinsei

Banned
God I hate monster mansion on BK. Forgot about it. Just hasn't got a good flow to it at all. Game will always be one of my all time favs but it does dip in quality in this area imo. Outside the tunnel that leads to the mansion is another path that leads to brentilda and a small hole in the wall. I can't remember but do you transform into the pumpkin to get through that?

Yeah, you need the pumpkin.

I love MMM.

gaming_noob

Lies...one of the best areas in the game!

DJ_Lae

Anyone else getting a lot of crashes? I'm not strictly talking Blast Corps (which is a guaranteed hard lock within about two minutes of starting it up each time, and beyond frustrating) but everything else. Game's audio just seized up on me and booted me back to the OS while doing Atic Atac snapshots, and it's not the first time either.

daTRUballin

Yes, you have to transform into a pumpkin to get through there.

And come on, Mad Monster Mansion is fine! It has a cool atmosphere. :p

Kinsei

Banned
Anyone else getting a lot of crashes? I'm not strictly talking Blast Corps (which is a guaranteed hard lock within about two minutes of starting it up each time, and beyond frustrating) but everything else. Game's audio just seized up on me and booted me back to the OS while doing Atic Atac snapshots, and it's not the first time either.

I've only had one crash so far and that was during the first playlist. For reference I've finished every game up to B-K with all milestones (including Blast Corps) and I just finished Rusty Bucket Bay in Banjo.

So what is everybody's favorites from Rare Replay?

Mine is Banjo, Kameo, Viva Pinatas, Perfect Dark, Conker, and Battletoads. All really great games. Hopefully we will see some of these games return this generation.

DJ_Lae

I've only had one crash so far and that was during the first playlist. For reference I've finished every game up to B-K with all milestones (including Blast Corps) and I just finished Rusty Bucket Bay in Banjo.

Damn.

I love Blast Corps so much I've gone well past reason and fired it up nearly 20 times, expecting it to work each time. I've managed to make it through to the hard levels, but I'm at the point now where levels are long enough there's no hope of me finishing them before they crash.

I've tried moving it all to the internal drive too, but that didn't seem to solve anything. I must just have bad luck.

hawk2025

Blast Corps has aged like a fine wine.

That's definitely a factor, but I've always thought it was mostly because many people were still bitter about the buyout back then. Ghoulies came out only a year after the buyout, so it was still fresh in gamer's minds back then.

Rare just received a lot of hate back then because they were "traitors".

This keeps being said, and I'll keep pushing back:

- They had just released Star Fox Adventures, which had a lukewarm reception at best -- and is twice the game GbtG is in every way I can think of.

- It's an empty game relative to their previous output and other games coming out at the time: as a brawler, it's imprecise and sloppy. As an adventure game, it has no features other than challenge rooms.

- It came out two years after Luigi's Mansion, which did many similar things (including twin-stick combat) in a much, much more unique setting -- all while actually keeping exploration as part of the whole package, unlike GbtG. Luigi's Mansion, too, had a somewhat lukewarm reception at launch.

It's a fine little ditty as part of a 30-game collection. But even divorced of the context of the separation from Nintendo, it deserves what it got back then, and then some.

By the same token, I could argue that the game was overrated when it originally released because reviewers of Xbox are more likely to be Xbox fans. I don't think this kind of revisionist thinking takes us very far :)

I've encountered two. Hopefully that'll be all. Fingers crossed.

Bsigg12

I had it crash 4 times while working on finishing the last Snapshot for Knight Lore. It was kind of annoying.

daTRUballin

Blast Corps has aged like a fine wine.

This keeps being said, and I'll keep pushing back:

- They had just released Star Fox Adventures, which had a lukewarm reception at best -- and is twice the game GbtG is in every way I can think of.

- It's an empty game relative to their previous output and other games coming out at the time: as a brawler, it's imprecise and sloppy. As an adventure game, it has no features other than challenge rooms.

- It came out two years after Luigi's Mansion, which did many similar things (including twin-stick combat) in a much, much more unique setting -- all while actually keeping exploration as part of the whole package, unlike GbtG. Luigi's Mansion, too, had a somewhat lukewarm reception at launch.

It's a fine little ditty as part of a 30-game collection. But even divorced of the context of the separation from Nintendo, it deserves what it got back then, and then some.

By the same token, I could argue that the game was overrated when it originally released because reviewers of Xbox are more likely to be Xbox fans. I don't think this kind of revisionist thinking takes us very far :)

Except I'm pretty sure it's definitely possible that one of the biggest reasons Ghoulies was hated was because of the buyout. Just go read any old Rare related thread here on GAF. Rare received a lot of hate back then, even on GAF. It's sometimes cringeworthy to read some of the stuff people wrote about them.

And you have to remember that Star Fox Adventures came out like a day before the buyout or something. Lots of bitterness is associated with that game as well. :p

goldenpp72

Ghoulies is a fine game, it's a solid 7 to 8 game that had decent combat, nice atmosphere and a lot of varied challenges. It wasn't the best breakout title to release when introducing themselves to Xbox fans, but it was a competent and charming game. I enjoyed it back then and I enjoy it today, it's not among their best, but not their worst either.

hawk2025

Except I'm pretty sure it's definitely possible that one of the biggest reasons Ghoulies was hated was because of the buyout. Just go read any old Rare related thread here on GAF. Rare received a lot of hate back then, even on GAF. It's sometimes cringeworthy to read some of the stuff people wrote about them.

And you have to remember that Star Fox Adventures came out like a day before the buyout or something. Lots of bitterness is associated with that game as well. :p

I don't know how to reply to something like "I'm pretty sure it's definitely possible" my friend :p

My point is that this kind of thinking isn't constructive. If you look at the actual meat and potatoes of the game, it's just plain empty and underwhelming. I'm not saying my opinion is truth or anything like that, but it's completely and absolutely reasonable that it was received the way it was -- it did nothing particularly remarkable, it did not play particularly well, and it offered nothing new. By all accounts, it's a significant step back from what Rare was doing before. And I think that does a whole lot more to explain how it was received than sour grapes. Especially since what we ended up getting with GbtG was just a shriveled up raisin.

I think I'll drop this discussion here though, because I feel like I'm raining on people's parades for no real reason. To be clear once again, I have absolutely no problem with people liking the game -- I'm just not particularly a fan of going back and trying to attribute intent to certain things that we have no real way of proving or analyzing. It's dismissive of the issues people may have and had with the game.

Happened a lot to me doing snapshots in either game before the update came out. No problems since.

daTRUballin

I don't know how to reply to something like "I'm pretty sure it's definitely possible" my friend :p

My point is that this kind of thinking isn't constructive. If you look at the actual meat and potatoes of the game, it's just plain empty and underwhelming. I'm not saying my opinion is truth or anything like that, but it's completely and absolutely reasonable that it was received the way it was -- it did nothing particularly remarkable, it did not play particularly well, and it offered nothing new. By all accounts, it's a significant step back from what Rare was doing before. And I think that does a whole lot more to explain how it was received than sour grapes. Especially since what we ended up getting with GbtG was just a shriveled up raisin.

I think I'll drop this discussion here though, because I feel like I'm raining on people's parades for no real reason. To be clear once again, I have absolutely no problem with people liking the game -- I'm just not particularly a fan of going back and trying to attribute intent to certain things that we have no real way of proving or analyzing. It's dismissive of the issues people may have and had with the game.

I've never actually played the game, so I can't say if it's good or not, but you have to remember that the game didn't sell well at all. Not a lot of people have actually played the game when it was released. I feel like it's one of those games that only two people in the world played, and those two people didn't like the game, so everybody else just sort of went along with their opinion and didn't bother to play it. :p

Lots of people in this thread have played GbtG for the first time and are enjoying it. That shows how much the game was ignored when it was released, whether it was because of bitterness about the buyout or not.

Roto13

There are some things I really don't like about this level, but I think it's ok overall. The ghosts that you can't kill and can just float at you through walls. Having to navigate that hedge maze to get around. Having to open windows as Banjo before switching to a pumpkin and backtracking to get into the windows because you can't break them as the pumpkin. Plus having to leave the stage as a pumpkin to unlock that cheat and then backtrack all the way to Mumbo's Hut again to transform back into a bear. Actually, Monster Mansion has some of the same problems as Banjo-Tooie. :p

Top Bottom