• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Copy finally showed up in the mail! I think I'm most excited to finally get back to Solar Jetman - I had forgotten that game even existed before seeing Rare Replay. I wish I knew when/where I originally played the game in the first place, must have been around 20 years ago.

Defect

So stupid question but how do I use the rewind feature? I have mostly been playing snapshots of the older games so maybe it isn't allowed there but the game never explained how to use this feature.
Can't rewind in snapshots but in the actual retro games you hold Lt.

Just bought the game and its an impressive package especially with all the extras, snapshot stuff..etc. Wonderful presentation all around.

I'm playing the games chronologically and right now I'm up to Cobra Triangle. I actually thought the first game, Jetpac, wasn't too bad. Still very playable and I did all the snapshots but the next game, Lunar Jetman, is one of the worst games I've ever played. WTF am I supposed to do? lol Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore and Gunfright are so bad. yikes

I kinda like Atic Atac. I'll try the snapshots for that game a bit later.

RC Pro Am is way harder than I remembered. I used to rock that game back in '87 when I was a wee lad. Now I f'n suck at the tender age of 38. My skills have truly deteriorated. :p

Just bought the game and its an impressive package especially with all the extras, snapshot stuff..etc. Wonderful presentation all around.

I'm playing the games chronologically and right now I'm up to Cobra Triangle. I actually thought the first game, Jetpac, isn't too bad. Still very playable and I did all the snapshots but the next game, Lunar Jetman, is one of the worst games I've ever played. WTF am I supposed to do? lol Sabre Wulf, Underwurlde, Knight Lore and Gunfright are so bad. yikes

I kinda like Atic Atac. I'll try the snapshots for that game a bit later.

RC Pro Am is way harder than I remembered. I used to rock that game back in '87 when I was a wee lad. Now I f'n suck at the tender age of 38. My skills have truly deteriorated. :p

I have kind of a weird appreciation for Lunar Jetman after playing through the snapshot. Without any context it doesn't make any sense, but after you understand the objective it's a cool evolution of the Jetpac concept.

Kalliban

Neo Member
Just bought this! Can't wait to get home and try it out! A lot of nostalgia in here, but also some games I haven't played (looking forward to trying Viva Piñata, Conker and Ghoulies)!

bobone

Trying to hunt down the last few Tribals in Jet Force Gemini. I honestly forgot how mean all of the Rare games were. Serious case of rose tinted glasses
Jet Force Gemini is amazing with the increased resolution and modern controls tho. I really really wish someone would give the same treatment to the 4 Turok games on N64.

Going back through this collection also made me realize I barely beat any of Rares stuff when I was a kid. With the exception of Banjo, they all had some extremely tedious or difficult section that just wasn't possible when i was 6-12 years old.

Dragoshi1

Conker 64 finding the keys for the mansion is total bull.

No health pickups, respawning zombies, and the twitchy controls when crossing thin thresholds is frustrating as heck.

Conker 64 finding the keys for the mansion is total bull.

No health pickups, respawning zombies, and the twitchy controls when crossing thing thresholds is frustrating as heck.
Oh yeah plus the fall damage took away your health. You only get 3 chocolates during the whole run. At least the bats don't respawn after you die beating both of them.

From the 15 minutes I played, I fear "It's War" will be worse, but I will try to play it without resorting to the chapter skip cheat.

Battletoads Clnger-Winger stage can GTFO! I want to beat the game so bad but that stage is just terrible!
We need a D-Pad controller built for the Xbox One. Would make the NES games playable.

Dazzler

Popped this into the Xbox last night for a quick blast before bed and it wasn't happening because of the absurd installation time

Will try again tonight

Roto13

Don't use rewind. Instead, suffer through horrible parts of mediocre-at-their-very-best games over and over and over again. It builds character. Or something.

munroe

The race against the clock in Gobi's valley (where you need the running shoes) is fuckin' impossible. Tried it 20 times. IT IS NOT POSSIBLE.

Is that the one where trapdoor opens at the top of the temple and you have to race to the top?

If so, did it on my second attempt just make sure you jump up when you can to the next level.

Roto13

Is that the one where trapdoor opens at the top of the temple and you have to race to the top?

If so, did it on my second attempt just make sure you jump up when you can to the next level.

This is the key.

What's annoying is how the timer runs when you're not even in control.

Ah, so you can do a backflip to get to the next level? Hmm...thanks!

@ Jet Force Gemini: What's the difference between the old and new control scheme? I tried the new one and it's crap, lol. Am I dong something wrong?

Roto13

Not a backflip, but you can jump high enough to hop up a level when you're close to the top of a ramp. Cuts a bit of distance you have to cover.

Xemnas89

The timed part?

I (possibly stupidly) forgot you can crouch and crawl which is necessary for some of those.

but prepare yourself for the next section outside because it's even worse.

What was supposed to be so bad about the outside part? I did it yesterday and had no problem.

Gartooth

Just finished NES BattleToads! I did think it was a fun game overall, with some pretty cool ideas for levels. The main problem is that the game is just an ass with its difficulty, where everything can feel cheap with how generously the game takes life from the player. Had it been better balanced it might be considered a classic today.

Also, the secret to beating Clinger Winger is to spam pause right before a turn and hope you hit the sweetspot of the bike just beginning to turn on the other edge. At that point, hold down the new direction and you should get the boost. Use rewind to undo any mistakes, and save states to make consistent progress.

Lothar

Banned
Don't use rewind. Instead, suffer through horrible parts of mediocre-at-their-very-best games over and over and over again. It builds character. Or something.

It makes it more fun. Having a penalty for death makes you care about what you're doing and makes it more satisfying when you succeed. Are you a Dark Souls fan?

Lothar

Banned
Dark Souls isn't bullshit. Bullshit isn't fun.

DS is way way way more bullshit. Ornstein and Smough took me about a month of trying. Nothing in Battletoads is as tough or as frustrating. I'd rather do 100 turbo tunnels in a row than another fight like that.

hunchback

I just got the game last night. These games really show how much my skills have eroded.
I started Banjo Kazooie and I'm already stuck on the first level with the giant bull and a ape throwing oranges.
The other game I can't stop playing is Slalom. I'm terrible at the game but I love it. Once I figure out how to freestyle in the air I should be ok.

Timu

DS is way way way more bullshit. Ornstein and Smough took me about a month of trying. Nothing in Battletoads is as tough or as frustrating. I'd rather do 100 turbo tunnels in a row than another fight like that.
Ornstein and Smough took me less than an hour. Turbo Tunnel took me days and then you have levels like Terra Tubes which are far worse.

No way. Turbo tunnel isn't even the hardest level in the game. Level 11 (Clinger Winger) is the hardest imo. Even spamming the rewind on that level barely helps.

Souls wasn't easy, but compared to Battletoads it's like a children's game. :)

Kinsei

Banned
I just got the game last night. These games really show how much my skills have eroded.
I started Banjo Kazooie and I'm already stuck on the first level with the giant bull and a ape throwing oranges.
The other game I can't stop playing is Slalom. I'm terrible at the game but I love it. Once I figure out how to freestyle in the air I should be ok.

Want a hint in banjo?
Stand on the oranges plates on the ground to get him to throw oranges at them, then climb the tree to get an orange for the chimp.

Hold back after launching off a snow mound to freestyle.

Roto13

I... don't even think I can reason with you. It's like you don't know the difference between a fair, well designed challenge and unfair garbage when you see it. Hint: One relies on memorization and one relies on mastery of mechanics and actual skill.

Xemnas89

So does KI Gold have a tendency to not listen to your inputs? I'm in training with sabrewulf right now and the first three things it wants me to do are FP, MK, forward back MK. I do them and yet it acts like I don't. At the bottom of the screen it shows that I do those inputs but it doesn't highlight them in the list to show I've done them.

Drago

Do 360 games count towards Rare Replay's total play time? I wouldn't think so since they're separate titles, too bad since I love seeing exactly how much time I've wasted playing games (can't check 360 play times). 36 hrs in the base Rare Replay already and my BK playthrough took 10 hrs... maybe I need to take a break lol.

Managed to finish Battletoads today. I really liked the diverse set of levels in the game, I didn't however like how the game felt very much like an excersise in trial and error on my first playthrough. Many obstacles seemed impossible to see coming unless you had prior knowledge of the levels, and level 10 was it (the water pipes level with swimming and spikes a plenty!) was just brutal. I probably abused the rewind button more on that level than any other. Once I got the patterns down I tend to be fine, but as it was my first time playing the game it felt fairly brutal.
I still actually enjoyed the game though! And I'm glad the rewind feature was included in the collection as it made things so much more bearable for me to learn the game!

def sim

I finished the arcade Battletoads the other day and I can't decide which one of the two I liked least. If they make a new one, I hope they don't stick too close to the original material. The new Killer Instinct gives me some confidence, at least.

I'll probably play Perfect Dark next since I've never done so. I liked Goldeneye well enough, so I have high hopes.

Gartooth

No way. Turbo tunnel isn't even the hardest level in the game. Level 11 (Clinger Winger) is the hardest imo. Even spamming the rewind on that level barely helps.

Souls wasn't easy, but compared to Battletoads it's like a children's game. :)

Completely agree that Dark Souls is nothing like a modern BattleToads. Turbo Tunnel is pretty hard given how long the level lasts for, but I managed to get some of the harder sections down. That level is probably notorious just because of the massive difficulty spike after the first two levels.

Agreed on Clinger Winger being the hardest in the RR version of the game. The other levels are much more doable with rewind enabled. I think the only other level that compares on its insane difficulty is Rat Race and Terra Tubes.

What makes Clinger Winger doable is the pause trick I outlined below.

Also, the secret to beating Clinger Winger is to spam pause right before a turn and hope you hit the sweetspot of the bike just beginning to turn on the other edge. At that point, hold down the new direction and you should get the boost. Use rewind to undo any mistakes, and save states to make consistent progress.

T.O.P

Banned
So does KI Gold have a tendency to not listen to your inputs? I'm in training with sabrewulf right now and the first three things it wants me to do are FP, MK, forward back MK. I do them and yet it acts like I don't. At the bottom of the screen it shows that I do those inputs but it doesn't highlight them in the list to show I've done them.

Yeah it's pretty awful

Only chance to get to play KI2 in a good way is with the Season2 Ultra Edition, and it has Online MP

Drago

Honestly I thought Rat Race was harder than Clinger Winger on my playthrough. I suppose my turns were good on CW since it was very managable for me with rewinds (though I came very close to failing). Had to start Rat Race over a few times and when I finally beat the third rat it was by mere milliseconds, you need to literally have perfect falls and inputs along with punching the rat whenever possible. Not fun!

bumpkin

I finally got past the turbo tunnel in Battletoads for the first time in my life and all it took was infinite lives and me somehow ending up in a "warp" of sorts. I never knew the stage had a warp, or is the warp the actual end of the stage?

Gartooth

Managed to finish Battletoads today. I really liked the diverse set of levels in the game, I didn't however like how the game felt very much like an excersise in trial and error on my first playthrough. Many obstacles seemed impossible to see coming unless you had prior knowledge of the levels, and level 10 was it (the water pipes level with swimming and spikes a plenty!) was just brutal. I probably abused the rewind button more on that level than any other. Once I got the patterns down I tend to be fine, but as it was my first time playing the game it felt fairly brutal.
I still actually enjoyed the game though! And I'm glad the rewind feature was included in the collection as it made things so much more bearable for me to learn the game!

I would've never finished BattleToads if it wasn't for rewind. That game alone pretty much justifies that entire feature in RR. lol

It is a shame about that game. It would've been so much better had it been properly balanced, since so many of the levels would be fun without the crazy difficulty. On the other hand, I do wish there was more traditional beat em up levels like the first since the combat was fun.

I finished the arcade Battletoads the other day and I can't decide which one of the two I liked least. If they make a new one, I hope they don't stick too close to the original material. The new Killer Instinct gives me some confidence, at least.

I think the NES version is better than the arcade one, since its difficulty can mostly be overcome with memorization and reflexes. That arcade game was designed to suck out quarters and it shows since I had trouble beating some encounters even with rewind.

A revival of that IP would definitely need to ditch that aspect of its legacy. It can be hard, but it shouldn't be cheap bullshit.

I finally got past the turbo tunnel in Battletoads for the first time in my life and all it took was infinite lives and me somehow ending up in a "warp" of sorts. I never knew the stage had a warp, or is the warp the actual end of the stage?

Some of the early stages have warp points that allow you to skip a level. The Turbo Tunnel goes on for a little bit longer than that warp point, but not by much.

def sim

It's one of the ends. You can keep going and that'll bring you to a different level.

If you're going for the all levels achievement, you're going to have to avoid the warp.

I think the NES version is better than the arcade one, since its difficulty can mostly be overcome with memorization and reflexes. That arcade game was designed to suck out quarters and it shows since I had trouble beating some encounters even with rewind.

I can agree with that. The slow movement along with the ridiculous enemy grab range and large hit boxes leading to prolonged hitstun would have probably been a bigger problem than some rote memorization back then.

daTRUballin

I would've never finished BattleToads if it wasn't for rewind. That game alone pretty much justifies that entire feature in RR. lol

It is a shame about that game. It would've been so much better had it been properly balanced, since so many of the levels would be fun without the crazy difficulty. On the other hand, I do wish there was more traditional beat em up levels like the first since the combat was fun.

A revival of that IP would definitely need to ditch that aspect of its legacy. It can be hard, but it shouldn't be cheap bullshit.

Some of the early stages have warp points that allow you to skip a level. The Turbo Tunnel goes on for a little bit longer than that warp point, but not by much.

Yeah, even the developers have said that the game was designed to pretty much suck out quarters in the making of Battletoads video. One of the bosses apparently can't actually be killed for the first minute of the battle or so. You're not actually doing any damage to him at all, even though it looks like you are. :p

Top Bottom