• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Kinsei

Banned
To be fair, the very same thing can be said about BK. I was in gaming bliss up until the Gruntilda Quiz Show segment. Not sure if I will finish.

What's the problem? If it's the instant death questions follow this route.

latest

At the first intersection head left until you get the joker.
Backtrack to the music space and go up.
Take the left path until you reach the instant death space and use one of your jokers.
Go left and then down to reach another joker space.
Now just head to the finish using your jokers on the two remaining death spaces.

I think I must be the only one who liked the quiz.

I like the quizzes in both Kazooie and Tooie. I'm so glad there will be a pre-final boss quiz in Yooka-Laylee.

Kinsei

Banned
Not played Tooie. More quizzes in that eh? What in the same format as kazooie?

It's a quiz show. Grunty asks the questions and you have to buzz in before the other contestants. Whoever has the least points at the end of the round is killed.

I had no interest in getting an XB1... the plan was to get a PS4 for Christmas for the family since I want Persona 5 and the Wife wants the last guardian... Then this Rare Replay nonsense happens... Just went out and bought an XB1 and this last night...-sigh- I was never planning on giving Microsoft my money, damn you Rare and your hold on my nostalgia! Damn you!

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Completed B-K with 900/900 notes and 100/100 jiggies. Didn't take too long because I've played the game a couple times over the years. It's crazy the stuff you forget, though - I had 100% forgotten that Clanker's Cavern even existed, although random parts of it started to come back to me as I explored.

Now on to Tooie. Or maybe Perfect Dark. Or maybe Ghoulies? I know it's preaching to the choir at this point but it really is crazy how much value there is in this package.

The first few missions of PD hit all of the right nostalgia notes... then playing the story mode for more than that.... Wow that has not aged well. I don't have Gold so I can't play online to find out if that holds up at least. Maybe I'll do a few bot matches.

Rare replied about the jet force gemini glitch

"Hi,

Rare social team here – we’ve already been responding to a few of you on Twitter, but we wanted to post here to offer a bit more detail than 140 characters.

First off, thank you to everyone who has reported this issue, both in this thread and on our social channels. Thanks to your reports and the details provided, our testers have been able to reproduce the glitch described here. Furthermore, we’ve been able to resolve this glitch on two of our accounts by using the following work around:

1. Reload your save game and bring up Jet Force Gemini’s pause screen. You can check on your progress in Floyd missions in the inventory (second page).
2. Use the Map page to return to the location of any Floyd mission(s) where you only have a merit.
3. Replay the mission, earning a bronze, silver, or gold.
4. Use the map page to return to Mizar’s asteroid.
5. Defeat Mizar and complete the final Floyd mission once more.

After completing Mizar’s asteroid with at least a bronze medal on every Floyd mission, the achievement should pop. As mentioned, we’ve been able to resolve this glitch twice by using these steps, so we’re keen to hear if these work for you guys, too. If you are in this state, please let us know if following these steps grants you the achievement. We’ll check in on Monday to see how things are going here, and will continue working on a long-term solution thereafter.

Again, thank you for all of the detail you guys have provided so far. You can reach us any time on our social channels, so please do follow up with us there if you have any more comments or questions."

http://www.trueachievements.com/forum/viewthread.aspx?threadid=5657007&anchor=5675930#m5675930

Thanks for the responses to my Banjo vs Conker question, looks like it's Banjo up first then! FWIW, I do also plan on going through Conker, but that will be later.

TheKeyPit

Banned
I'm getting Rare Replay around the 20th. The only game I've played from this collection is Blast Corps. What am I getting into? Will the awesomeness kill me? :D
What should I start playing first?

I'm getting Rare Replay around the 20th. The only game I've played from this collection is Blast Corps. What am I getting into? Will the awesomeness kill me? :D

Depends on what you're into. There is a ton of quality, but it is all in different niches. Viva Pinata, for example, is an excellent casual game. Banjo Kazooie is amongst the best collect-a-thon/exploration based games ever made. Perfect Dark is still a very competent if old school FPS (both in design and graphics).

Really, you can't go wrong with just about any of the games... besides Kill Instinct Gold.

Mr White

Go straight to Battletoads. Don't start other games before you beat it without rewind. Awesomeness will kill you for sure

RK128

Like everyone already said, the collection is bursting with quality with its game line-up (especially the NES-N64 era :D) with a number of the Xbox/360 games (GBTG, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts) surprising you with how good/enjoyable they are :).

My recommendation is starting with the N64 era (Banjo, Banjo Tooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini with the Modern Control option, Blast Corps) and going into the Xbox/360 era (GBTG, Kameo, Nuts & Bolts). In-between those, jump into the Spectrum/NES games to space out each game (after being Banjo, jump into RC Pro Am for example).

Hope this helps :).

addyb

I'd personally start with battle toads or rc pro am and then move onto blast corps then start banjo kazooie. Total awesome foursome there :)

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Yeah I did the bottles puzzles in the house. I only had a few minutes to play at the time so I figured I'd just do the puzzles. I don't think you can do save transfers but thank you for the offer.

Do you have a 360? I'm not sure but maybe the 360 saves are not tied to the gamertag? Then I could just send you a 360 save and you can then upload that provided you have XBL Gold :).

RK128

Do you get stamps for 360 games also? Would give me motivation to go back through 360 games even after being completed achievement wise

They are tied to how many achievements your got already; if you got them already, after you go into the stamp section of the selected 360 game, you earn the stamps automatically thanks your 360 profile being used on the X1.

You could still replay the games to get achievements you missed out on or playing 360 games you might have not played too.

munroe

Do you get stamps for 360 games also? Would give me motivation to go back through 360 games even after being completed achievement wise

You do get stamps, it will go off the achievements already earnt (you can't re-earn achievements)so as soon as you open up the page on rare replay you'll likely end up with loads of stamps already.

Xemnas89

Do you have a 360? I'm not sure but maybe the 360 saves are not tied to the gamertag? Then I could just send you a 360 save and you can then upload that provided you have XBL Gold :).

Nah I don't have a 360 but thanks for the offer. I tweeted rare about it yesterday and they say they're looking into it so hopefully this can get fixed soon.

I would recommend Battetoads, Banjo, or Kameo. I started off with the early titles myself since they tend to be much shorter but if you insist on not using the rewind feature in Battletoads then you may be in their forever :p

Drago

They're tied to achievements, you need 750GS to get all 10 stamps for 360 games (150GS for XBLA titles)

So if you already got all the achievements in these games, you'll automatically get all the stamps for them.

Korosenai

850 gs in trouble in paradise finally, got all 10 milestones. I love viva pinata so much, I need a next gen viva pinata injected directly into my veins.

TheKeyPit

Banned
Depends on what you're into. There is a ton of quality, but it is all in different niches. Viva Pinata, for example, is an excellent casual game. Banjo Kazooie is amongst the best collect-a-thon/exploration based games ever made. Perfect Dark is still a very competent if old school FPS (both in design and graphics).

Really, you can't go wrong with just about any of the games... besides Kill Instinct Gold.

It's great that they've made a collection with so many different games.

Go straight to Battletoads. Don't start other games before you beat it without rewind. Awesomeness will kill you for sure

On a scale from 1 to 10(10 being very hard), how hard and frustrating is Battletoads gonna be?

Like everyone already said, the collection is bursting with quality with its game line-up (especially the NES-N64 era :D) with a number of the Xbox/360 games (GBTG, Kameo, Viva Pinata, Nuts & Bolts) surprising you with how good/enjoyable they are :).

My recommendation is starting with the N64 era (Banjo, Banjo Tooie, Conker, Perfect Dark, Jet Force Gemini with the Modern Control option, Blast Corps) and going into the Xbox/360 era (GBTG, Kameo, Nuts & Bolts). In-between those, jump into the Spectrum/NES games to space out each game (after being Banjo, jump into RC Pro Am for example).

Hope this helps :).

Sounds like a good plan. The N64 was my first console and I didn't have the chance to play those awesome Rare games back then. A good reason to start with them :)

Camjo-Z

I put a couple of hours into Viva Pinata and feel instantly in love with its world and charm but I am never good at these micro management games. They stress me out and I never know what I'm supposed to be doing. I read up on what I need to turn them into residents and reproduce but i also seem to never have enough money to support most of the Pinatas in my garden.

Patience is also a problem for me.

Making money is easy. Just get a pinata worth a lot, breed them with romance candy to make things go faster, and sell the offspring. Wash, rinse, repeat.

Drago

I put a couple of hours into Viva Pinata and feel instantly in love with its world and charm but I am never good at these micro management games. They stress me out and I never know what I'm supposed to be doing. I read up on what I need to turn them into residents and reproduce but i also seem to never have enough money to support most of the Pinatas in my garden.

Patience is also a problem for me.
Trouble in Paradise has a Just for Fun mode that gives you unlimited money, no ruffians/Professor Pester, makes it significantly easier to attract Pinatas and make them residents, amongst other things. If you'd rather play something even more relaxing and stress free.

Man, now I remember why I stopped playing banjo. I'm weird about HAVING to 100% a level before I progress, and I have always only been able to get 8 jiggies on Treasure Xove or whatever it's called. That fuckin snail and the damn pale mane. And I'm too proud to look up a strategy guide.

Another reason why I love Conker so much (which I may be expressing too much but gah damn it was good) is that I never once needed a strategy guide.

Trouble in Paradise has a Just for Fun mode that gives you unlimited money, no ruffians/Professor Pester, makes it significantly easier to attract Pinatas and make them residents, amongst other things. If you'd rather play something even more relaxing and stress free.
Can you still get achievements on that mode?

Camjo-Z

Welp, I've finally decided that I hate myself just enough to want to get 100% in Rare Replay, so I'm now working on the obnoxious Perfect Dark Zero multiplayer achievements. Wish me luck as I start bot match after bot match in pursuit of virtual points.

d00d3n

Wow, the frame rate in nuts and bolts is awful. Does it get better after the tutorial section? The introduction is almost unplayable.

I have become seriously addicted to Viva Pinata: TIP again, and it's a game for which I already got 1000 GS on the 360. I started from scratch again and have an insatiable need to collect 'em all.

God, I love that series. I'd give anything for a new-gen sequel with bigger gardens, etc.

Kinsei

Banned
JFG complete! I even beat the best times on the arcade games and got an expert medal on every Floyd mission. It's now in my top 10 N64 games.

been trying Oyster Harbor in Blast Corps for about 3 hours...this does not seem possible

You need to get the final TnT across the boats before the missile carrier reaches the first one.

Xemnas89

I'm currently playing through Kameo for the first time since I played it back in 06. I really enjoyed it back then but was worried it wouldn't hold up but I'm still really enjoying it. What exactly was the problem that some had with this game?

Lothar

Banned
On a scale from 1 to 10(10 being very hard), how hard and frustrating is Battletoads gonna be?

You won't beat it in your first day. It's very hard. A 9. Still, I wouldn't call it frustrating. It's not like Ninja Gaiden 6-2 where you have 3-4 enemies attacking you at the same time or Castlevania with having to fight medusa heads and other enemies at the same time or Dark Souls where you have to take on two bosses at the same time. That to me is frustrating. Once you know what to do in Battletoads, it's all very doable. So if you die once in a spot, you're likely to get past it on your next turn and die in another spot. The difficulty is like Contra. It's from a total amount of things that can take your life, rather than being stuck on a specific spot.

I agree with the person that told you don't use rewind. Battletoads is really noteworthy for the challenge. Being challenged is fun. Rewind removes that and makes it just another game.

Mr White

With infinite lives (which I think is the right way to play it nowadays) it's something around 7-8. Battletoads isn't even hardest in this collection. Snake RnR is fuckin insane.

Fibally figured out the pale jiggy in Treasure Cove. All that is left is 6 very evasive notes and that damn snail. I feel like I've tried everything

Top Bottom