• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Yesssss got it without reading the spoiler. Just the "do ___ three times" helped so much. I feel like an idiot. Thanks!

Edit: and the last 6 notes were in there, yesssss. Goodbye forever, Treasure Trove Cove

I liked blast corps at first, but this is starting to become a drag. My friend told me that you eventually
leave earth and go to other planets
. I still havent gotten to that point and I feel like its gone on way too long...too much of the same stuff over and over again

Lothar

Banned
I liked blast corps at first, but this is starting to become a drag. My friend told me that you eventually
leave earth and go to other planets
. I still havent gotten to that point and I feel like its gone on way too long...too much of the same stuff over and over again

Just wait until you start trying to get platinums.

Kinsei

Banned
i think you only need one for an achievement, so thats how far I will go. Not gonna go through all of that lol

Make sure the level you do is the one called J-Bomb. Getting a platinum on that is easier than just beating Oyster Harbour, Diamond Sands, and Angel City.

Make sure the level you do is the one called J-Bomb. Getting a platinum on that is easier than just beating Oyster Harbour, Diamond Sands, and Angel City.

Thanks for the tip. I dont think I am even close to being able to attempt it though. Dont you have to do all the time trials after you beat the game, and get gold in all of them. Then you are able to attempt a platinum

Kinsei

Banned
Thanks for the tip. I dont think I am even close to being able to attempt it though. Dont you have to do all the time trials after you beat the game, and get gold in all of them. Then you are able to attempt a platinum

Yep, but your times the first time through are saved for the time trial. I'm pretty sure some of the harder stages like Oyster Harbour are an auto gold.

still haven't gotten my $10 from ordering from the MS store

I'm supposed to get $15, and I haven't gotten it either.

Got on support chat and they said I'd have it on the 21st. Gave me a $10 voucher for the website to make up for the error, but said I'll also still get the $15 in my reward account.

Cindro

Alright! So far I have:

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Banjo-Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day

All 100%'d. I'm very close with Atic Atac too - I just need the darn Inventory Management milestone. I'm also almost there with Perfect Dark (which has been the real highlight of the collection so far for me).

I just started Kameo for the first time - this collection continues to be pure gaming bliss. It's surprisingly addictive going for every milestone in a game, too - I think I'll be fine without buying any other games for a few months.

daTRUballin

Alright! So far I have:

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Banjo-Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day

All 100%'d. I'm very close with Atic Atac too - I just need the darn Inventory Management milestone. I'm also almost there with Perfect Dark (which has been the real highlight of the collection so far for me).

I just started Kameo for the first time - this collection continues to be pure gaming bliss. It's surprisingly addictive going for every milestone in a game, too - I think I'll be fine without buying any other games for a few months.

Wait, so you've already almost beaten PD on Perfect Agent? I remember I recommended you to try it on Agent first like less than a week ago or something. :p

They are tied to how many achievements your got already; if you got them already, after you go into the stamp section of the selected 360 game, you earn the stamps automatically thanks your 360 profile being used on the X1.

You could still replay the games to get achievements you missed out on or playing 360 games you might have not played too.

You do get stamps, it will go off the achievements already earnt (you can't re-earn achievements)so as soon as you open up the page on rare replay you'll likely end up with loads of stamps already.

They're tied to achievements, you need 750GS to get all 10 stamps for 360 games (150GS for XBLA titles)

So if you already got all the achievements in these games, you'll automatically get all the stamps for them.
Ah, okay, thanks for the quick responses! I found out I missed 2 achievements in Tooie, and don't have a save file, so will give me a good excuse to go through Tooie again at least :)

Just beat Uga Buga in Conker. Tunnel takes me back to the Poo Cabin. I went and saved the beehive a second time and now have no idea where to go. Tips?

RK128

Alright! So far I have:

Jetpac
Lunar Jetman
Snake Rattle 'n Roll
Banjo-Kazooie
Conker's Bad Fur Day

And even counting those games, you have Battletoads NES, Battletoads Arcade, Banjo-Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, Jet Force Gemini, Grabbed by the Goulies and the Vivia Pinta games.......Rare Replay is full of win with the amount of content it has XD!

Glad you are enjoying it so much and I have to get an X1 in the future to play the collection....missed out on all of Rare's Xbox/360 era stuff and a large amount of their NES stuff (and never even heard of their Spectrum stuff before this collection!)

I would say check out Perfect Dark Zero but I heard a lot of mixed things about that one sadly :l. Its soundtrack is great though and the MP seems like a lot of fun though :D.

ghibli99

I just started playing this last night (the previous night was spent installing everything!), and I have to say, I'm very impressed with the care in which this collection was made. Really top-notch stuff... not the cheap, basic compilation UIs we've seen over the years.

Decided to go through things chronologically, and Jetpac was still surprisingly playable for a computer game released 32 years ago. The Snapshots are great little NES Remix-style bits, which I very much am enjoying so far. Rage-inducing at times, but they're quick and pretty fun.

Only just moved on to Lunar Jetman, and the animation in this is really nice! It's kicking my butt, though, so we'll see how much time I spend with this one. Good stuff so far. :)

Cindro

Wait, so you've already almost beaten PD on Perfect Agent? I remember I recommended you to try it on Agent first like less than a week ago or something. :p
Oh, no - I'm just going for all of the milestones, not all of the achievements, haha. I'm not planning on doing a Perfect Agent run anytime soon, but I AM enjoying my Special Agent run way more than I was anticipating. Starting on Agent was absolutely the right call, because I'm now far more familiar with the mechanics and level design meaning I'm not getting absolutely annihilated on my SA run. Not that SA is overly difficult, but there are quite a few encounters I've had so far that required a tactical approach instead of allowing you to run through guns blazing (as was my default method on Agent).

This is truly the most fun I've ever had with a FPS outside of Halo. Perfect Dark is just amazing.

And even counting those games, you have Battletoads NES, Battletoads Arcade, Banjo-Tooie, Nuts & Bolts, Jet Force Gemini, Grabbed by the Goulies and the Vivia Pinta games.......Rare Replay is full of win with the amount of content it has XD!

Glad you are enjoying it so much and I have to get an X1 in the future to play the collection....missed out on all of Rare's Xbox/360 era stuff and a large amount of their NES stuff (and never even heard of their Spectrum stuff before this collection!)

I would say check out Perfect Dark Zero but I heard a lot of mixed things about that one sadly :l. Its soundtrack is great though and the MP seems like a lot of fun though :D.
Yes! I've still only chipped away a few precious gleams from the dense star that is Rare Replay.

I'm particularly excited to get around to Tooie and Nuts & Bolts - I've started both, but have never finished either. By contrast, B-K remains one of my favorite games of all time, and my most recent run of it a few days ago just cemented that. It's such a pleasure of a ride going through and 100%ing Banjo-Kazooie every few years. It's about as perfect as a 3D platformer can get.

I'm well aware of the issues plaguing Tooie, so I'm girding my loins before going in because I'm determined to finally 100% that game as well. Nuts & Bolts I have very fond memories of from when it launched, and my little sister just started playing it. Can't wait to delve into it once more and explore everything it has to offer, but that will probably be towards the very end of my Rare Replay list. I certainly don't want to save something like Killer Instinct Gold for last, after all :p

I am also excited for PDZ, Battletoads, Ghoulies, Trouble in Paradise, JFG, and Blast Corps. - all for different reasons.

I just wish this collection had come out when I was unemployed a few months ago instead of while I'm in the throes of acclimating to my new job + life schedule! Maybe I'll embezzle tomorrow so I can get fired and have more time for this gem.

daTRUballin

Oh, no - I'm just going for all of the milestones, not all of the achievements, haha. I'm not planning on doing a Perfect Agent run anytime soon, but I AM enjoying my Special Agent run way more than I was anticipating. Starting on Agent was absolutely the right call, because I'm now far more familiar with the mechanics and level design meaning I'm not getting absolutely annihilated on my SA run. Not that SA is overly difficult, but there are quite a few encounters I've had so far that required a tactical approach instead of allowing you to run through guns blazing (as was my default method on Agent).

This is truly the most fun I've ever had with a FPS outside of Halo. Perfect Dark is just amazing.

Yes! I've still only chipped away a few precious gleams from the dense star that is Rare Replay.

I'm particularly excited to get around to Tooie and Nuts & Bolts - I've started both, but have never finished either. By contrast, B-K remains one of my favorite games of all time, and my most recent run of it a few days ago just cemented that. It's such a pleasure of a ride going through and 100%ing Banjo-Kazooie every few years. It's about as perfect as a 3D platformer can get.

I'm well aware of the issues plaguing Tooie, so I'm girding my loins before going in because I'm determined to finally 100% that game as well. Nuts & Bolts I have very fond memories of from when it launched, and my little sister just started playing it. Can't wait to delve into it once more and explore everything it has to offer, but that will probably be towards the very end of my Rare Replay list. I certainly don't want to save something like Killer Instinct Gold for last, after all :p

I am also excited for PDZ, Battletoads, Ghoulies, Trouble in Paradise, JFG, and Blast Corps. - all for different reasons.

I just wish this collection had come out when I was unemployed a few months ago instead of while I'm in the throes of acclimating to my new job + life schedule! Maybe I'll embezzle tomorrow so I can get fired and have more time for this gem.

So you've pretty much beaten the game on Agent?

Playing through the 360 port of Perfect Dark for the first time ever makes me so pissed the 360 GoldenEye port never came out. Ugh that would have been amazing.

Cindro

So you've pretty much beaten the game on Agent?
Yes - I've beaten the game on Agent, and I'm about half through on Special Agent. I'm hoping that after my SA run I'll have almost everything I need for all 10 milestones!

Not looking forward to grinding multiplayer matches on PDZ for achievements though - that sounds torturous ;_;

daTRUballin

Yes - I've beaten the game on Agent, and I'm about half through on Special Agent. I'm hoping that after my SA run I'll have almost everything I need for all 10 milestones!

Not looking forward to grinding multiplayer matches on PDZ for achievements though - that sounds torturous ;_;

Hahaha! Is PDZ's multiplayer really that bad? People say the multiplayer in PDZ is better than the singleplayer. :p

If you're not planning on playing PD on Perfect Agent anytime soon, then you should at least try the first mission on PA just to see how it's like. Or maybe the first three missions. :p

Defect

I just saw that there was an achievement for beating the turbo tunnel once in the infinite snapshot. Didn't think I would get it but I beat it on my second try.

Lothar

Banned
I just saw that there was an achievement for beating the turbo tunnel once in the infinite snapshot. Didn't think I would get it but I beat it on my second try.

It's really not as hard as everyone makes it out to be. If you can get to where you can play deep into the game, you'll be doing Turbo Tunnels all the time without dying or thinking hard about it.

Tip for Turbo Tunnels:
In the section where you have to jump onto small platforms, stay left, and never touch the D-Pad. You'll make it. Never jump as soon as you land but instead wait until you get to the right side of the platforms. Keep those two things in mind and tell me that part isn't super easy.

For the end section where the walls go real fast, try just staring at your character. Don't look at the walls. You know where the walls are going to be. They're always up down up down. You'll see them out of the corner of your eye. I find it works better if you just focus on the position of your character. That way you'll be able to judge better where you are.

TEHJOE

Neo Member
Anyone have any tips for lunar jetman snapshot 5?

Don't do any of the bomb related stuff. Just stay at the rover (which refuels you when you land next to it) and rack up points. If you are about to get hit, hide in the rover for a second. It's really dangerous but it's not like your other options aren't risky as well. The meteorites are the only object that can come out of nowhere but the rest follow a simple pattern. You can zip anywhere as you aren't carrying anything.

The game sucks your fuel dry after you drop the bomb and the gun attachment can't rack up points as fast the player can with it's limited range. I think the developers knew this was a broken strategy and that's why the game ends if the enemy base isn't destroyed fast enough.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
After countless tries, I finally got an Expert Medal on Goldwood's Floyd mission. With that, I've now completed Jet Force Gemini 100%, and got a character for the multiplayer mode I'll probably never play.

MrGerbils

Man, Banjo Kazooie really holds up well. I only rented it once or twice back in the day, so this is my first time really digging in to it and it's a joy to play. I wish Conker held up as well. For that, in a dream world, I wish they could keep the N64 graphics and content but somehow bolt on the Live and Reloaded controls.

Xemnas89

Just finished Kameo. It only took 8 hours but I missed alot of elemental fruit so there's still more that could be done. Even so it is a bit short but I really enjoyed what was there. Playing Kameo then hearing about the canned sequel is heartbreaking. I doubt they will but part of me hopes they take another shot at a sequel someday.

1upmuffin

On world 4 of Banjo Kazooie, really enjoyable. Some camera issues and the swimming controls are pretty bad (even for N64 3d platformer standards), but overall it holds up really well.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
Perfect Dark is still so good. At least to my nostalgic eyes, which is all that really counts when playing a game solo, I suppose :)

I was always way more into PD than Goldeneye - spent 100s of hours playing every permutation of multiplayer you can think of. It's crazy to think back on how we played - 4-player on a tiny tiny split screen, running at maybe 15 FPS.

The Xbox 360 version is cleaned up just enough that you can still recognize the game's age and jank (and I mean that in the most respectful way possible), while bringing it up to a standard of ease and comfort that makes it supremely playable. It's this great combination of modernity and nostalgia.

For now I'm just blasting through it on Agent - dunno if I'll actually dig in heavy and go after some of the deeper stuff.

Edit: This + Banjo really makes me hope Rare is given another shot at both franchises. A modern Perfect Dark feels, to me, like it'd be a great fit for the current FPS landscape. Carve out some space for itself separate from Halo & COD.

So I started Grabbed by the Ghoulies, and... It's pretty bad. Based off the first chapter, I'd have been appalled to buy this at full price after shelling out for an Xbox just for Rare.

The Super Scary Shocks in particular look and are really fucking dumb. I'm guessing there are quite a few since one of the milestones is to survive 20 .

ramparter

Banned
I like the quizzes in both Kazooie and Tooie. I'm so glad there will be a pre-final boss quiz in Yooka-Laylee.
Hell yeah whenever me or my brother were replaying the game we would play the quiz together because we really liked it. I just wish the game allowed you go replay it anytime.I consider it one of the most original ideas I ever witnessed in gaming.

PS: I guess it could have a cheat system for those that find it hard.

Alienfan

Ok the depth perception in Banjo is truly awful, the swiming controls are really bad and the art style has this very cheap look to it. And yet i'm some how still enjoying the hell out of it, depsite my aforementioned issues + having zero nostalgia for it.... weird!

OrochiJR

Finished my first time ever run through Perfect Dark today (on Agent). The last boss gave me a little trouble since finding out how to kill him was a little trial & error, but on my fourth try I got him. Overall it was a very fun game that aged pretty well. Maybe I'll try the MP part of the game later on.

Anyway, next game I'll tackle will be Banjo Kazooie. I didn't really like the game originally on the N64 (many early 3D games did not click with me back then), but I will give it another shot now.

Top Bottom