• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

eastx

You have to beat it three times

To answer your question, look to the side border. Each character is assigned a button you have to press to get control of that character

You can also get the Achievement by beating Battletoads Arcade one time with three players.

daTRUballin

So according to Chris Seavor in the making of Conker video, there might never be another Conker. He says that if the same team were to make a new Conker today, it probably won't turn out good because their "tastes have changed and they've moved on since then."

What do you guys think? Do you believe him? Will we ever get a new Conker game? And if it will be made by the same team that made the original, will it be just as good? Seems like Seavor isn't interested in making a new Conker game.

So according to Chris Seavor in the making of Conker video, there might never be another Conker. He says that if the same team were to make a new Conker today, it probably won't turn out good because their "tastes have changed and they've moved on since then."

What do you guys think? Do you believe him? Will we ever get a new Conker game? And if it will be made by the same team that made the original, will it be just as good? Seems like Seavor isn't interested in making a new Conker game.

Project Spark has a series of Conker-based episodes coming out. The first one is already available. Hopefully Microsoft will remind people of it now that Rare Replay has brought Conker back to collective consciousness.

Is anyone playing Viva Pinata? I got a really shitty glitch, my pinatas only have hearts over their heads for a few seconds at a time each day. Even if their requirements are met or I've fed them a romance candy, the hearts won't appear, then they'll appear later for a few seconds and disappear again.
Seems like an odd glitch.
Been playing it recently and man is the game underrated. I would put it over Harvest Moon personally.

So are the N64 games really running off an N64 emulator? Because without getting Nintendo's permission for that, that seems.. illegal?

It must be fine, but there's lots of little legal question marks for me throughout this collection. I noticed last night that one of the tracks featured in the unreleased section for 'Dream' was straight up used, as-is, in DK64... so doesn't that mean Nintendo owns that track? Lots of little bits like that.

Jamix012

Does anyone else get glitches in Kameo? I might try re-installing, but right now I get the ubisoft effect where only the eyes are present on some of the transformations.

Never played most of these games (Well Only played Viva Piñata and Nuts and bolts). What a joy some of these games are, Conker is incredible fun, and the language and characters are brilliant.

Rare We need a new one!

Z_Y

Finally picked this up last night...

R.C Pro-Am is still G.O.A.T.

When you are in 4th place and you are in a turn and shoot off a perfectly timed missile to send 3rd place careening into a wall...and you pass him right just as 1st place is crossing the finish line...allowing you live another race...

Gaming bliss. I'm a kid again.

Team Dakota did a good job with the episodic adventure of Conker in Project Spark. Obviously we want a full game though.

But i dont think Conker will make a big return. I think he is right. I mean Conker is a hard game to sell, and was always kind of unknown compared to Banjo-Kazooie which is much more likely to get a big return. I mean, disregarding their 'tastes have changed' it can be a little harder selling a mascot game with a Mature rating label. It is also outclassed in the platforming area compared to Banjo.

I love Conker, and one of my all time favorites, but he could be right. With that said, i would still love to see them make another one.

Whats actually the definitive Piñata game? I the first or the second? I here the second is good, but i don't want to feel like i'm missing something by not playing the first, and that maybe the second maybe too hard. Any help would be appreciated.

Whats actually the definitive Piñata game? I the first or the second? I here the second is good, but i don't want to feel like i'm missing something by not playing the first, and that maybe the second maybe too hard. Any help would be appreciated.

Trouble in Paradise. A very good and addicting game. Also good in coop if you have a friend to play with.

Is it better mechanically? Or is it just more of the first one? Because i hate starting something from the second in the series. But i guess ill take your guys's word for it. I really do appreciate the response.

It's pretty much the first game but expanded. The various different biomes with all the desert and snow terrain related pinata is a nice touch.

Gartooth

Is it better mechanically? Or is it just more of the first one? Because i hate starting something from the second in the series. But i guess ill take your guys's word for it. I really do appreciate the response.

Other than to appreciate how the series grew from the first game, there really isn't a reason to not go straight to Trouble in Paradise. It isn't so much a sequel as it is a huge expansion pack to the first game.

There are two new terrain types, a new mode (For Fun), several new pinata types, etc.

I also finished Ghoulies today. I liked it, but it started to wear a bit thin towards the end. It's very short, but I'm sure I would have gotten completely tired of it had it been longer.

A few of the Rare books were kind of frustrating to get, especially towards the end when
you're on a strict time limit.

I didn't bother looking for all of the books. That would've made things more frustrating and lessened my enjoyment, because I think you have to take out specific enemies in some of the (cheap) rooms in order to get some of the tougher ones.

Kinsei

Banned
JFG keeps on getting even more awesome. I just finished the zombie levels and I think this might be my favorite shooter from Rare (yes, even better than Goldeneye). I'm really loving how intelligently all of the secrets are hidden. A flimsy wooden door into a house blocking the way? Just shoot it with a rocket.

Dazzler

So after coming away finishing all the stamps for the original Jetpac and actually really enjoying it, Lunar Jetman is INFURIATING. One of the strengths of Jetpac was how simple and accessible it was, and how addicting to just give it another go. Lunar Jetman by contrast wastes no time getting into some bullshit

I fired up Jetpac last night and the collision detection is janky as fuck. Really frustrating

Just great!!! I just experienced a game breaking bug in Conker, and now I can't progress.

In the very last portion of War when your running back to the beach with the countdown clock I somehow managed to die right when I made it the the end. So, the game decided to respawn me back at the naval yard and not at the beach without showing a cut scene. I can walk around and see all of the destruction in the main hub, including the windmill, but I can't trigger any cut scenes.

I seem to be permanently stuck and can not progress. And I know I am not missing anything obvious because I can replay the same portion under chapter select and it progresses just fine, it is just that any progress I make with chapter select does not get saved. I tried hard closing the game and restarting Rare Replay but it seems that the game save is the one damaged. Has this happened to anyone else or know of any solutions?

I found a video on YouTube showing my glitch. It really pisses me off that I can't progress now. I can replay the most recent section on chapter select but any progress I make wont be saved.

addyb

Ok gaf I'm going to put my BK playthrough on hold whilst I try a game I haven't played before.

Viva pinata TIP
JFG
Nuts n bolts

Which should I start?

Xemnas89

I found a video on YouTube showing my glitch. It really pisses me off that I can't progress now. I can replay the most recent section on chapter select but any progress I make wont be saved.

Oh man that sucks. I ran into a glitch in banjo that prevents me from getting all the notes in the last three worlds. Banjo's is probably an easier fix than conker's since conker is just the 64 game being emulated but still wish they would patch a couple of these things.

I've been casually playing through the games in release order and was pretty underwhelmed until I got to Banjo Kazooie. Holy crap, does this game still hold up. I completed it back on the N64, but don't think I ever realized/appreciated how good the level design was back then. I'm going to play through it again and then check out Tooie, which I've never played. Purchase redeemed I guess.

Mcdohl

Yesterday I finished Jetpac and Digger T. Rock.

Both are kinda clunky but have their charm, specially Digger.

It's very punishing, so Rewind is a must imo.

Once you learn the stages it can be cake and speedrun.

RK128

Just because Chris and the Conker team aren't keen in making another, doesn't mean others wouldn't be interested in using the IP :).

We already saw this with Project Spark Conker Episodes (with Chris being cool with it, returning to voice Conker and other characters), and while suffering from being in the Spark engine (animations missing, frame rate being bad, mechanics lacking polish), what they accomplished with the first Episode was very impressive.

It had the context sensitive button, level designs with platforming and visuals that looked nice while capturing the charm of the original Conker :). I could easily see them making a great Conker sequel if they got a higher budget, them using the Live and Reloaded engine, and having Chris oversee the project :D.

KI turned out fantastic despite Double Helix's weak history (Silent Hill Homecoming....what a bad game X(), so I look forward seeing the Project Spark team use the Conker IP more :).

crpav

Finally I did it. Late last night after wife and son were in bed I stayed up for some 37th birthday gaming. Was stuck in battletoads on the clinger-winger stage for a few days and ready to give up. This after having to restart due to a glitch in the rat race stage where the boss would not drop.

Anyway, I beat that stage and then the game. Feels good man but I am now older.

anyone have tips for getting gold on the backlash level in blast corps. I cannot control this fucking thing.

Edit: haha, just got it by .5 seconds

Gartooth

Ok gaf I'm going to put my BK playthrough on hold whilst I try a game I haven't played before.

Viva pinata TIP
JFG
Nuts n bolts

Which should I start?

Viva Pinata is always a great change of pace. Haven't played JFG, but I recommend not touching Nuts and Bolts until you finish the first two if this is your first time playing the series.

Just finished Conker for my first time. Ending spoilers:
Wow, what a depressing but well executed end. I can't believe it ended like that, I thought it was going to be funny. Just incredible and very hard hitting.
What a ride, one of the best games I've ever played.

Just finished Conker for my first time. Ending spoilers:
Wow, what a depressing but well executed end. I can't believe it ended like that, I thought it was going to be funny. Just incredible and very hard hitting.
What a ride, one of the best games I've ever played.

Conker is one of the few games I'd suggest people just watch a long play of. The characters are really charming, I love the voice acting, there's some funny parts, but none of it is worth the awkward controls and frustrating later chapters. Stuff like the scene with the bazooka Tediz on the beach is just ridiculous.

I play some Banjo Kazooie after beating Conker and it's amazing how much more playable that game is. The controls immediately feel so much more responsive, the jump feels so much better, it has so many more ways you can interact with things. With Conker it's like they forgot how to make a platformer and haphazardly cobbled together a bunch of random, half-baked gameplay to fit around their script.

Viva Pinata is always a great change of pace. Haven't played JFG, but I recommend not touching Nuts and Bolts until you finish the first two if this is your first time playing the series.

Why? I can't imagine anyone cares too much about the plot of Banjo and it's a totally different game. Nuts and Bolts is one of the best games on the collection, go for it.

Berordn

Why? I can't imagine anyone cares too much about the plot of Banjo and it's a totally different game. Nuts and Bolts is one of the best games on the collection, go for it.

It certainly doesn't require it, but Nuts and Bolts likes to drop references to BK and BT so you might have a little more appreciation (or hatred) for it if you go through the originals first.

Richie

Suppose he feels the same as the South Park creators would, should fans ask them for more episodes in the vein of the cruder, more one-note earlier seasons.

If he were to come back, he could take the humor elsewhere, more in line with his current sensibilities, while keeping it irreverent and fun to swim through. Doesn't seem like he's interested in the IP itself nowadays though.

addyb

I've finished BK a couple of times before. Never played BT though. I didn't really fancy going through that straight after kazooie.

Conker is one of the few games I'd suggest people just watch a long play of. The characters are really charming, I love the voice acting, there's some funny parts, but none of it is worth the awkward controls and frustrating later chapters. Stuff like the scene with the bazooka Tediz on the beach is just ridiculous.

I play some Banjo Kazooie after beating Conker and it's amazing how much more playable that game is. The controls immediately feel so much more responsive, the jump feels so much better, it has so many more ways you can interact with things. With Conker it's like they forgot how to make a platformer and haphazardly cobbled together a bunch of random, half-baked gameplay to fit around their script.

Man, I absolutely loved all of the gameplay. The bazooka part was frustrating, yeah, but that chapter as a whole was just so good. While a longplay would be a good way to experience conker, I really think people should play through it to get the full experience. They will miss so much subtle stuff by just watching a longplay, like the Queen Bee circling her hive at the beginning saying "Oh dear, this is not good, not good" for example. That alone had me cracking up. And it is just so satisfying figuring out what to do throughout the game.

All that aside, Banjo Kazooie is next up. Can't wait to get into it, I don't think I've ever gotten too far.

Damn, just realized this doesn't have GoldenEye. Issues with Nintendo? Nevertheless, this is one of the first damn things I'm going to buy when I get a bone.

Jamix012

Eh, I actually like Nuts and Bolts but...hot damn it's emulated badly. That framerate is unacceptably atrocious. It'd be ok for slow moving turn based games but in BK NnB, a game with high speed vehicles, it's just unpleasant and nauseating. If you're curious I'd genuinely suggest playing it on the 360 somehow.

Eh, I actually like Nuts and Bolts but...hot damn it's emulated badly. That framerate is unacceptably atrocious. It'd be ok for slow moving turn based games but in BK NnB, a game with high speed vehicles, it's just unpleasant and nauseating. If you're curious I'd genuinely suggest playing it on the 360 somehow.

This is the first time I'm reading about the game post release. How is the performance in general on the rest of the games?

Berordn

Activision doesn't have the Bond license anymore. I don't think anyone else has picked it up, though.

Ah, didn't know they already had it lapse.

This is the first time I'm reading about the game post release. How is the performance in general on the rest of the games?

Pretty much perfect, the other games are more or less identical to their original releases. Nuts & Bolts is the only one with notable issues.

Bsigg12

I started playing it again and it seems like it's just Showdown Town that's a mess. Everywhere else runs pretty well.

anyone have tips for getting gold on the backlash level in blast corps. I cannot control this fucking thing.

Edit: haha, just got it by .5 seconds

Even though you've already done it, for any Backlash level make sure to keep an eye out for any humps/ramps in the road to throw you slightly into the air, you can plow through buildings really quickly. Otherwise its just down to learning how to drift well, some of the later levels like Diamond Sands are very strict on your drifting.

I've also been playing Blast Corps today, I've managed to clear all the main levels and the epilogue
Shuttle Landing
level. I now just need to clear a few bonus levels and get gold on one race level and it'll be onto the
bonus planets levels

I also cleared Underwurlde and Battletoads Arcade today. Underwurlde I'd have enjoyed more if the game didn't control the way it did, I just don't really like the controls on the game. BT Arcade was a blast to play, still not sure if I prefer it to the NES game but it was damn fun none the less.

Top Bottom