• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rare Replay |OT| Jetpacks and Googly Eyes, Here We Come

Drago

I did it. I fucking did it

It brought me neck and arm pains from focusing every bit of my energy into mashing one button but I got the fucking Jiggy. By a landslide too.

Now to get that damned Cheato page........ fucking Canary Mary....

e: I DID IT HOLY FUCK
my hand hurts

1upmuffin

It brought me neck and arm pains from focusing every bit of my energy into mashing one button but I got the fucking Jiggy. By a landslide too.

my hand hurts

Nice job Drago!

It took me way too long to find out how to open Bubblegloop Swamp. I went everywhere except the room I had to go to. I was like 'nah, I don't need to go back back in that room, the painting couldn't possibly be in there'.

G0523

my hand hurts
Congratulations! How'd you do it?

G0523

Why can't you go back and get them? Glitch?

Grunty's Furnace Fun is a pain in the ass. I hate how some squares let you retry them but others send you back to the beginning if you fail.
There's a glitch where if you play Bottles' Puzzles before you play the level that's shown in the puzzle, it'll act like you already got the notes that were in there. I thought they patched it years ago though.

Also, the spaces with the skull on it are literally life or death. You get it right you live. You get it wrong you die.

Edit: Damn. Didn't mean to double post. Three minutes is long enough between posts right?

Drago

Placed the controller on my desk, got my right elbow on the desk as if I was going to arm wrestle somebody, clenched the thumb and index finger together and mashed like bloody hell. It was painful but extremely effective, even for the Cheato page I did it on my first try with a big lead. Had to pause a LOT though lol.

What a terrible challenge to put in the game.

G0523

Placed the controller on my desk, got my right elbow on the desk as if I was going to arm wrestle somebody, clenched the thumb and index finger together and mashed like bloody hell. It was painful but extremely effective, even for the Cheato page I did it on my first try with a big lead. Had to pause a LOT though lol.

What a terrible challenge to put in the game.
Pausing! I forgot all about pausing! Good thing you remembered! Otherwise good job! Now you never have to do it again.

Sydle

I did it a few years ago pretty easily by placing the controller on the ground, sitting in a relaxed position with my wrist on the ground and one finger to tap X. Switched out hands once. Did it on the first try, no problem.

Lothar

Banned
Yeah as long as I don't think about it I wont be bothered but in my heart I'll always remember the four notes that haunted me.

That reminds me that there's a piece of chocolate in Conker's Bad Fur Day that you can see but you can't get to. It's behind bars. Why is in the game? According to the director's commentary, it's because he knew it would annoy the hell out of people.

Xemnas89

First thing I noticed is Banjo's voice is deeper in this game. Also seems the swimming controls aren't inverted so it'll probably take a bit to come to grips with that.

daTRUballin

That reminds me that there's a piece of chocolate in Conker's Bad Fur Day that you can see but you can't get to. It's behind bars. Why is in the game? According to the director's commentary, it's because he knew it would annoy the hell out of people.

Yeah, I think Rare was just messing around with people. I think they were sort of poking fun at themselves because they've made lots of "collectathons" back in those days, and they just made one of the collectibles in the game to not be "collectible." :p

So what's the deal with the slowdown in Knight Lore? Is that an attempt to mimic how it actually ran on a ZX Spectrum, or did they just botch it for this collection?

Oohh.. just realized I still have my original Viva Pinata saves on my 360. Time to upload them to the cloud. I had a lot of hours in the original.

Gartooth

Just finished a run through of Conker's Bad Fur Day. Game is still incredible on the presentation side of things. I've memorized some of the jokes by now, but I had forgotten some others and they took me by surprise. XD

Really wish L&R was on the collection just to see if it fixed problems with BFD's campaign. Particularly the shooting controls, and some poor design decisions in gameplay. I still love the game, but it was much more frustrating than I originally remembered.

I think it is also apparent that Bad Fur Day seems like it was put together quickly after the development hell of Twelve Tales. Parts of the game seem missing (the making of video brings it up) and a lot of objectives have very similar set ups. One I noticed a ton of was guiding or moving things. This could be Conker moving an object, or guiding an AI partner / enemy.

Just finished Banjo Kazooie with 100 jiggies, all the honeycombs, and 896 notes. It's a terrible thing knowing I can't get those last four notes in Mad Monster Mansion.
Make sure to peck the windows on the second and third floors of the mansion. They look like regular textures but a couple of them break.

DJ_Lae

Started getting the random freezes in Blast Corps after hitting the hard missions. Hope they're aware and are working on a patch because it was pretty great before that point.

I hope they patch it, I've been getting those from about 5 minutes into my first attempt to play Blast Corps. I've managed to unlock the hard missions out of sheer stubbornness (and probably 20 accumulated crashes, if not more) but I'm out of willpower.

And it was the game I most looking forward to. Shame it's unplayable for some people.

Xemnas89

Man Banjo Tooie is huge. I've been in the first world for over an hour and only have 7 jiggies. Are there some that I have to come back and get later or can I get them all in one go?

Make sure to peck the windows on the second and third floors of the mansion. They look like regular textures but a couple of them break.

Oh I did but the bottles bonus glitch caused them not to appear.

Lynd7

Man Banjo Tooie is huge. I've been in the first world for over an hour and only have 7 jiggies. Are there some that I have to come back and get later or can I get them all in one go?

So the Bottles glitch was never fixed? Kinda odd, I thought they said they were to patch it back when it was first found out.

Burning Justice

the superior princess

Most worlds in Banjo-Tooie have a couple of Jiggies that you can't get on your first time there. Don't try to get all of the Jiggies in each world before moving onto the next one.

Kinsei

Banned

You can get 9 jiggies on your first visit to Mayahem Temple.

I seem to be stuck in Blast Corps. I just did the
moon mission
after the credits. I still need the achievements for gold medals on all bonus missions, and the one for rank, and platinum. But I am out of stuff to do. I cant find anything on the map that shows as being unfinished. Am I supposed to do something specific here?

Edit: ohhh, nvm. Apparently green outline means I missed some transmitters

Kinsei

Banned
So even though I got all of the kill an enemy with every "X" weapon I only have 31 weapons available to me in weapon training. Is there some secret weapon other than the Phoenix don't know about? I'm talking about Perfect Dark.

Well that sounds about right as I currently have nine jiggies. I'm just so used to clearing everything out before moving on.

IIRC the only stage you can 100% on your first visit is the last one. It's been a few years since I played Tooie though so I might be misremembering.

Drago

IIRC the only stage you can 100% on your first visit is the last one. It's been a few years since I played Tooie though so I might be misremembering.
You can 100% Hailfire Peaks on a first go too, I did so last night. Though you do need to return there to get a Jiggy from a different world.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Yes, Hailfire Peaks and Cloud Cuckooland are the only two worlds that it's possible to 100% on your first run. All other worlds have between 1 and 3 Jiggies, and possibly a couple other things, that can't be obtained on your first run. I made this list last time I played through the game (spoilered just in case):

Mayahem Temple: 1 Jiggy
Glitter Gulch Mine: 1 Jiggy, 1 Jinjo
Witchyworld: 1 Jiggy
Jolly Roger's Lagoon: 3 Jiggies, 1 Cheato page
Terrydactyland: 2 Jiggies
Grunty Industries: 2 Jiggies

This only lists items that are impossible to obtain on your first run (barring glitches). There may be some other items that are very difficult to get without certain abilities, but only these are impossible.

That said, I think you will enjoy the game more if you don't try to get everything possible on your first run. Jiggies in Banjo-Tooie are generally harder to find than the ones in Kazooie, and you may have to come in from different worlds to get some of them.

FyreWulff

So even though I got all of the kill an enemy with every "X" weapon I only have 31 weapons available to me in weapon training. Is there some secret weapon other than the Phoenix don't know about? I'm talking about Perfect Dark.

Get golds on the other guns in training. It's been a while since I had to actually unlock guns, I'm fuzzy on how they actually show up.

I think the methods are:

- get golds
- complete combat simulator challenges

Kinsei

Banned
Get golds on the other guns in training. It's been a while since I had to actually unlock guns, I'm fuzzy on how they actually show up.

I think the methods are:

- get golds
- complete combat simulator challenges

Turns out the golden magnum counts as a separate gun for training. I never bothered to get it since I don't like the magnums. I guess I'll just run through and grab it tomorrow.

Richie

It was patched out. For some reason this Rare Replay version of Banjo-Kazooie doesn't have the patch applied.

Really wish they fix this. Left 'em a tweet on the matter but no response so far. Sucks because I'm just 4 notes shy from fully 100%-ing the game, but I'm not about to go through a new file and do it all over again just for them.

Xemnas89

Really wish they fix this. Left 'em a tweet on the matter but no response so far. Sucks because I'm just 4 notes shy from fully 100%-ing the game, but I'm not about to go through a new file and do it all over again just for them.

I tweeted them a few days ago and they said they're looking into it. If they do patch it I get the feeling it won't bring back those four notes. We'd still likely have to restart and I have no plans to play through it again for awhile.

Richie

I tweeted them a few days ago and they said they're looking into it. If they do patch it I get the feeling it won't bring back those four notes. We'd still likely have to restart and I have no plans to play through it again for awhile.

Oh hey, ace to hear. Hopefully they offer something that saves on the frustration of starting all over again; if not, what difference does a patch make anyway? I mean, right now I could start a new file, forget about Bottles' puzzles and get all 900 like that, right? If this is possible right now I don't see the benefit in a patch that would leave us with the same "solution" we already have.

Just beat Diamond Sands in Blast Corps. I forgot how difficult it was.

A top for others; if you destroy both the blue vats after the second line of buildings, that second line will be destroyed. Every little bit helps in this level.

FyreWulff

I believe the patch made the notes come back previously.

edit: and upon checking, it didn't. that sucks :(

daTRUballin

That seems to be the case. It's interesting because Nuts & Bolts is definitely at its newest version.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was 4J Studios that made the port? Maybe Rare didn't have the patched version on hand? I don't really know how this stuff works. I'm just taking guesses, but it would make sense to me.

Xemnas89

I believe the patch made the notes come back previously.

edit: and upon checking, it didn't. that sucks :(

Then I'd assume the same will happen if they patch it now. It's a shame but oh well.

On a different subject I was wondering about Viva Pinata. I've never played them and don't know how to feel about what is basically a garden simulator. Is it worth giving a shot?

Dingles

Finished Ghoulies, really didn't enjoy it that much. Got some milestones to clean-up on it but not going to bother. Sitting on 3400/4000 for Replay alone, Jet Force & Ghoulies are all that's left outside the 360 stamps for me.

If PDZ stamp grind wasn't so bad I'd be more motivated to do the rest over time but yeah... those PDZ achieves even at launch with little to play first year were a chore.

TheKeyPit

Banned
So, I've spent ~6 hours playing Banjo Kazooie so far and I got Super Mario 64 vibes from playing it in the first two hours. Then I started to see/feel its own charm.

On a different subject I was wondering about Viva Pinata. I've never played them and don't know how to feel about what is basically a garden simulator. Is it worth giving a shot?

Played the first game a bit today and I got hooked really fast. It fullfills my Harvest Moon garden/farming needs. You should definetly give it a shot, but consider that it starts slowly introducing you to everything.

Kinsei

Banned
dxfVl1d.jpg

I just reached Rare Royalty! I don't know why, but I thought it would remain at 12 stamps to level up to give people a little leeway.

Maybe it has something to do with the fact that it was 4J Studios that made the port? Maybe Rare didn't have the patched version on hand? I don't really know how this stuff works. I'm just taking guesses, but it would make sense to me.

Probably just an odd oversight. Rare and Microsoft would have access to that update.

Top Bottom