• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet and Clank: UYA Gamespot review

AniHawk

weirdo.jpg

Eh, I've heard the second title really improves upon the formula, but based on my time with the third one (in the demo) was far from impressed. It's a solid platformer, better than most, but definitely not GOTY material. Haven't played the full game of course, but even an 8.7 seems high to me.

Bandicoot

I dont think that he even played the game. This review does not give any detail, nor reasons why the game recieved an 8.7. Gamespot loves to post reviews that are different from all others just to cause controversy.

Looking at gamerankings.com it looks like the game still has a 97% ranking with all the major reviews accounted for. Out of the 11 reviews posted so far, 7 of the 11 are perfect scores.

Seems fishy to me. =/

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Bandicoot said:
I dont think that he even played the game. This review does not give any detail, nor reasons why the game recieved an 8.7. Gamespot loves to post reviews that are different from all others just to cause controversy.

Looking at gamerankings.com it looks like the game still has a 97% ranking with all the major reviews accounted for. Out of the 11 reviews posted so far, 7 of the 11 are perfect scores.

Seems fishy to me. =/

I'm with you on this one
I was just on Gamerankings site and noticed the same thing.
I used to trust Gamespot in their reviews, and while i've not played the new R and C, this does seem strange

It seems like this douchebag just wrote the review with 5 mins to go before he had to leave work for the day. The review seems haphazardly written, and I see no complaints in his review to warrant an 8.7

It seems like Bandicoot said, that Gamespot loves to buck the trend and give a different score compared to the rest of the media to cause a little controversy, and a look at me I'm different than the rest attitude.

Bandicoot

Upper_Management said:
It seems like this douchebag just wrote the review with 5 mins to go before he had to leave work for the day.

Agreed.

I like how he says the game is 10hrs of gameplay when every single one of the other reviews states that there is an average of 15 to 20hrs not including all the extras and mulitplayer.

Just fuels the fire more about why I think this review is bullshit.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
evilromero said:
No. You're just confusing that with the R&C whores on this board.

You're just bitter that even the worst game in the series is better than SMS. :(

Played it for 2 hours earlier, there are a ton of refinements that will make the game flow better overall, one example being the addition of the Phoenix as a central hub. I don't want to say much more until I put more time in, but I hope there are more skydiving sections. :lol

I haven't touched multi yet. Ramirez is going DOWN when I do though.

Mrbob

Upper_Management said:
It seems like this douchebag just wrote the review with 5 mins to go before he had to leave work for the day. The review seems haphazardly written, and I see no complaints in his review to warrant an 8.7

It seems like Bandicoot said, that Gamespot loves to buck the trend and give a different score compared to the rest of the media to cause a little controversy, and a look at me I'm different than the rest attitude.

Well, look at it this way, it could have been worse. The game could have been c minused to garner attention......

Socreges

Banned
AniHawk said:
The Gamecube aristocracy is Brandon F and TheGreenGiant?
Nintendo fans are whoever dislikes something that isn't Nintendo. They can be Xbox fans or PS2 fans. For instance, MrBob has been called a Nintendo fan. MrBob. We all had a good laugh about that and then went out for beers.

Anyway, nice to see a more practical R&C3 score. *pokes Wellington*

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Socreges said:
Nintendo fans are whoever dislikes something that isn't Nintendo. They can be Xbox fans or PS2 fans. For instance, MrBob has been called a Nintendo fan. MrBob. We all had a good laugh about that and then went out for beers.

Anyway, nice to see a more practical R&C3 score. *pokes Wellington*

This coming from a known R&C hater. :rolleyes

I'm onto you!

By the way, the sidescrolling levels are genius. :lol

Socreges

Banned
Wellington said:
This coming from a known R&C hater. :rolleyes

I'm onto you!

By the way, the sidescrolling levels are genius. :lol
It was a joke, actually. That's why I poked you!

For the record, no, I didn't like R&C. Didn't play the second (or comment on it). And I've made just one post about the R&C3 demo, and you'd even consider it fair, if not too positive.

So Gamespot's scores are:

Ratchet and Clank 9.0
Going Commando 8.8
Up Your Arsenal 8.7

Isn't this backwards? I mean, the second one is most definately better than the first, and every other review source seems to be scoring each one better than the last. Of course, I happen to be in the camp that thinks this series is slightly overrated, but even I can see that Gamespot is wonky on this.

GameSpot is the ultimate reality check in gaming now. The exact score this game needs. 9.6 for GTA: SA was perfect too. Excellent game, but it DOES HAVE technical flaws that shouldn't put it in the high 9's.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
8.7 IS A 'GREAT' GAME ON THEIR SCALE, YOU ASSHOLES

Edit: After actually reading the review, I saw that the reviewer clearly pointed out several concerns that would knock the review out of the 9 range.

That's not the point though. The point is a game's review text could be glowing and the score still be a 8.7.

Socreges

Banned
Mega Man's Electric Sheep said:

Ratchet and Clank 9.0
Going Commando 8.8
Up Your Arsenal 8.7

Isn't this backwards? I mean, the second one is most definately better than the first, and every other review source seems to be scoring each one better than the last. Of course, I happen to be in the camp that thinks this series is slightly overrated, but even I can see that Gamespot is wonky on this.
With that logic, they'll have to employ a 11-point scale for Madden 2008.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
evilromero said:
Eh, I've heard the second title really improves upon the formula, but based on my time with the third one (in the demo) was far from impressed. It's a solid platformer, better than most, but definitely not GOTY material. Haven't played the full game of course, but even an 8.7 seems high to me.
The demo for R&C3 is based on the third level, lacks some visual effects, lacks full context with the main storyline, lacks some supporting AI, fiddles with weapon availability and pricing for the sake of the demo and there are a few other tweaks that made it into the final version. By itself, I didn't think the demo showed much of an advancement over the earlier games and it still doesn't represent the best that R&C can be in the final version because it is an early level before the game really starts to take off.

Bandicoot said:
I like how he says the game is 10hrs of gameplay
Eh...he says "well over 10 hours".

Socreges said:
With that logic, they'll have to employ a 11-point scale for Madden 2008.

*sigh* except madden scores pretty much the same each year, whereas practically EVERY OTHER PUBLICATION has scored each Ratchet higher than the one before. I'm just saying that GS's scores are backwards for me.

Bandicoot

Ratchet and Clank 9.0
Going Commando 8.8
Up Your Arsenal 8.7

Completely agree with this. I just dont see how it is possible for the scores to go down with each game when its obvious based on almost every other outlets review scores that the games have gotten better. As you said, it just seems a bit wonky.

Socreges

Banned
*sigh* except madden scores pretty much the same each year, whereas practically EVERY OTHER PUBLICATION has scored each Ratchet higher than the one before. I'm just saying that GS's scores are backwards for me.
Yeah, fair enough. I was just addressing this part: "I mean, the second one is most definately better than the first"

CrimsonSkies said:
GameSpot is the ultimate reality check in gaming now. The exact score this game needs. 9.6 for GTA: SA was perfect too. Excellent game, but it DOES HAVE technical flaws that shouldn't put it in the high 9's.

I know that I'm in the extreme minority in these parts on this one, but I think GTA: SA is way overrated, and should not have even recieved that score. I would say a 8.5 - 9.0 is what that game should deserve with all the flaws that it has.

But I guess Sir Gerstmann's sliding scale doesn't apply to the holy grail that is GTA.

Miburou

I played the first one, finished it and liked it, but the sequel seemed like more of the same, and I quit half-way through. I wasn't too thrilled about the demo of UYA, so I'm going to pass. Maybe the formula just isn't too endearing to me.

I also think GTA SA is way overrated. The game has several flaws that impede my enjoyment of it.

Musashi Wins! said:
I see the gamecube aristocracy is thoughtfully concerned yuck yuck.

if you mean me; you should know by now that I am big on CUBE/GBA/PS2 and not so big on XBOX titles.

that does not preclude me from enjoying and wanting to play halo2.

and

does not preclude me from agreeing with the score for R+C III. I do think it's not a 10 title but it is very good. and I do think the Jak series is absolutely shit (5.5-6/10 for 1+2). I do buy PS2 games you know. Tata.

Solid

Well of course. I've said it before and I'll say it again, exclusive PS2-games can't get over 9 at Gamespot. It's a miracle GTA:SA got 9.6!

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
evilromero said:

Yeah, you can't even fart in this game.

Top Bottom