• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy (Vita) |OT| Hey, how about a wedgie for old times' sake?

Carl

Just started playing Ratchet 1 (Up to BTRS) and it seems pretty good. Plays well, looks great. Controls a little annoying, but not something i can't get used to. Slightly glitchy (turned a bolt crank that should have made some swingshot targets appear but it didn't). Overally pretty good port.

KLonso

If you bought the physical version of the Trilogy for PS3, is there any way to get the Vita versions without paying again, or is the cross-buy only if you buy the digital copies?

One thing that doesn't appear to be in the OP; does this collection include the online multiplayer from R&C 3 that the PS3 trilogy collection has?

Kimppis

Can't wait. I love the original trilogy to death.

No download code included with the physical copy!? Fuck... Why not!? Sly Thieves in Time was just an exception or something? Oh well... Atleast it's a decent port. I heard that the original PS2 versions were 60fps? Is that true btw? I have no idea. :p

Carl

Well they didn't fix the hoverboard track glitch thank fuck, so can still earn 1 million bolts easier in Ratchet 1.

Just completed a playthrough, just have to clear up skillpoints and rest of trophies. Ratchet 1 seems like a very solid port, even if it is a bit glitchy (several music glitches and i kept getting the air gauge stuck at the side of my screen)

Abylim

I'm trying to just deal with the difference, but it got the best of me lastnight.

Are the other games like R&C1, input lag wise?

I'm trying to adjust to the framerate difference, but its frustrating =\

RK128

I'm trying to just deal with the difference, but it got the best of me lastnight.

I don't own the Vita Collection (dat SCEA X() but they were 60FPS games from the ground up....so they will feel, 'werid', I guess :l.

It is like Ninja Gaiden Sigma + on Vita; it LOOKS great and runs solid, but the heaving of the frame-rate made everything feel really heavy and stiff (part of the reason why I just can't get into the game sadly :().

Then again, who knows if the impact is THAT bad with Ratchet Collection Vita and it might just be the first game that has this issue (the gameplay of the original is very dated compared to Ratchet 2 and 3, so maybe that's why the game feels so off to you).

I'm sure the latter games will feel better; Ratchet 2's Strafing ability makes the game play great and Ratchet 3 further improves on that with tighter control and other control set ups (FPS mode and TPS mode).

Drago

Honestly if the lag is similar to what it is in the Jak Collection then I should be able to deal with it. It was rarely the cause of death in my playthrough of the first game on Vita (which I am finally finishing up now). It may bother me a bit but it's something I can get used to.

Do the games themselves look comparable to how the Jak games look on Vita? Those are probably the nicest looking non-native res games on the system from the games I've played, despite the lower res they still look really nice, clean, and colorful.

RK128

Honestly if the lag is similar to what it is in the Jak Collection then I should be able to deal with it. It was rarely the cause of death in my playthrough of the first game on Vita (which I am finally finishing up now). It may bother me a bit but it's something I can get used to.

Do the games themselves look comparable to how the Jak games look on Vita? Those are probably the nicest looking non-native res games on the system from the games I've played, despite the lower res they still look really nice, clean, and colorful.

So the Jak Collection isn't that bad then? From what I've read of the game it is one of the worse ports on Vita (with Ratchet FFA being the WORSE one X(). The game is playable on Vita then? I would love to play the Jak games on my Vita but I have no idea if they are good or not on Vita.

Not surprised with how good the games look on Vita though; Naughty Dog were gods on the PS2 and really knew how to push that system to its limits, so the game should transition to Vita very nicely (Jak 3 in particular is amazing looking; to this day it has such a clean and nice look :)).

Drago

So the Jak Collection isn't that bad then? From what I've read of the game it is one of the worse ports on Vita (with Ratchet FFA being the WORSE one X(). The game is playable on Vita then? I would love to play the Jak games on my Vita but I have no idea if they are good or not on Vita.

Not surprised with how good the games look on Vita though; Naughty Dog were gods on the PS2 and really knew how to push that system to its limits, so the game should transition to Vita very nicely (Jak 3 in particular is amazing looking; to this day it has such a clean and nice look :)).

I've only really played Jak 1 extensively (to 100% completion). The game looks really nice and plays well enough, though the framerate is somewhere around 20 fps if I had to throw out a guess (I don't know the actual fps). It's solid though, no random fps increases or drops which is a good thing (Not a fan of unlocked fps in most cases). Really, it all depends on your tolerability for framerate. I can play pretty much anything at any framerate (60 is always preferred, ofc) so I wasn't really bothered by the Jak Vita fps. Being able to play the game on Vita was enough for me, even if it isn't at an optimal framerate.

I've played a little bit of Jak 2 and it runs a lot better, definitely around 30fps at most times. I have heard that it drops during more intense sections of the game though (and I saw it for myself during the first Dark Jak fight at the beginning of the game). Still seems like a better playing experience than Jak 1 was, so long as the framerate drops aren't too bad or frequent. Barely played Jak 3, but I think it had a lower fps than Jak 1. And I've heard it drops even lower than that at times... whereas Jak 1 and 2 are at least playable, Jak 3 is really a game that suffers on the system. Like I said though, I barely played 3 on Vita, so I can't give my own opinion on how it runs, all I can do is parrot what others say.

So yeah, if you ask me Jak 1 and 2 at least are playable. Not optimal, but I really enjoy playing these games on the Vita so I can look past the framerate issues and still enjoy the games plenty. As I said, if you can handle a lower framerate for the games then you should be able to get through them. Who knows if even I will be able to handle Jak 3 whenever I get to it on Vita though... I do have framerate tolerance, but it only goes so far. :p

this is really off topic so I'm sorry

Carl

You really having so much of a problem with it? Genuinely asking. After the first hour or so i didn't even notice the slight lag

RK128

I've only really played Jak 1 extensively (to 100% completion). The game looks really nice and plays well enough, though the framerate is somewhere around 20 fps if I had to throw out a guess (I don't know the actual fps). It's solid though, no random fps increases or drops which is a good thing (Not a fan of unlocked fps in most cases). Really, it all depends on your tolerability for framerate. I can play pretty much anything at any framerate (60 is always preferred, ofc) so I wasn't really bothered by the Jak Vita fps. Being able to play the game on Vita was enough for me, even if it isn't at an optimal framerate.

I've played a little bit of Jak 2 and it runs a lot better, definitely around 30fps at most times. I have heard that it drops during more intense sections of the game though (and I saw it for myself during the first Dark Jak fight at the beginning of the game). Still seems like a better playing experience than Jak 1 was, so long as the framerate drops aren't too bad or frequent. Barely played Jak 3, but I think it had a lower fps than Jak 1. And I've heard it drops even lower than that at times... whereas Jak 1 and 2 are at least playable, Jak 3 is really a game that suffers on the system. Like I said though, I barely played 3 on Vita, so I can't give my own opinion on how it runs, all I can do is parrot what others say.

So yeah, if you ask me Jak 1 and 2 at least are playable. Not optimal, but I really enjoy playing these games on the Vita so I can look past the framerate issues and still enjoy the games plenty. As I said, if you can handle a lower framerate for the games then you should be able to get through them. Who knows if even I will be able to handle Jak 3 whenever I get to it on Vita though... I do have framerate tolerance, but it only goes so far. :p

this is really off topic so I'm sorry

Thank you for the impressions :D! I might just get the collection for Jak 1 then if I find it cheap somewhere (Jak 1 and 3 are the ones I really like in the series....hated Jak 2 due to its horrendous difficulty spikes X().

VLiberty

Well they didn't fix the hoverboard track glitch thank fuck, so can still earn 1 million bolts easier in Ratchet 1.

Just completed a playthrough, just have to clear up skillpoints and rest of trophies. Ratchet 1 seems like a very solid port, even if it is a bit glitchy (several music glitches and i kept getting the air gauge stuck at the side of my screen)

I think you'll be fine as long as you'll like the controls. For the very little I've seen, 2&3 ports are definitely better, less glitchy and lagged.

Kimppis

Thank you for the impressions :D! I might just get the collection for Jak 1 then if I find it cheap somewhere

I second this. I never played the originals on PS2, so that's why I have the PS3 HD collection, but it's still unplayed though. I would rather play games on the Vita, for some reason. :p I don't care much about framerate, tbh. Guess I need to check out some more impressions... When the Vita version came out, I read that the it's just basically unplayable.

Carl

I think you'll be fine as long as you'll like the controls. For the very little I've seen, 2&3 ports are definitely better, less glitchy and lagged.

The controls take a bit of getting used to (especially on the hoverboard track when you have to use the back touch for the tricks) but yeah once you get them it's pretty good. Thanks - hadn't seen any footage of 2 and 3. Looking forward to playing them again

Seems like a well made port on the whole :)

VLiberty

Ok played a bit of planet Ooza(R&C2) and it definitely doesn't have the sound glitch R&C1 has.

I can't say about the input lag though...the charachter handling feels worse than PS2 and PS3 version, but I don't know if it's actual input lag or not...it's a shame though. I won't hold my breath for a patch :/

Though it's still a solid port and those who gave it 4.8 really went insanely berserk on it.

Railer

So... Question.. I bought R&C Trilogy earlier this year on PS3 and it just now released on vita as a crossbuy. My question is if i get the vita version cause i bought the ps3 version?

I've checked the download history on my vita and the 3 R&C still just say PS3...

Anth1888

So... Question.. I bought R&C Trilogy earlier this year on PS3 and it just now released on vita as a crossbuy. My question is if i get the vita version cause i bought the ps3 version?

I've checked the download history on my vita and the 3 R&C still just say PS3...

I assume your in the EU? If yes, you'll need to 'buy' the Vita versions in the Store either individually or as a collection they'll show as free.

Carl

Just platinumed the first game. Very good port as i said before. Fucking hell though, having hoverboard tricks mapped to back touch is aggravating as fuck. Really hard to know where to put your fingers. Still, got there in the end.

Onto Ratchet and Clank 2 tomorrow.

Anth1888

About to tear my fucking hair here. Cannot get twisty mcmarx for the life on me. What do you need to press exactly? I could do it fine on PS3 but on the Vita it's killing me. I'm pressing R, R touchpad, L, L touchpad. Sometimes it just does not register. Any of you guys got it?

Carl

About to tear my fucking hair here. Cannot get twisty mcmarx for the life on me. What do you need to press exactly? I could do it fine on PS3 but on the Vita it's killing me. I'm pressing R, R touchpad, L, L touchpad. Sometimes it just does not register. Any of you guys got it?

Yeah it's a pain in the arse because of the touchpad. It is possible though. Just keep trying. Make sure you're holding a direction on L as well (sounds stupid but some people forget)

They're good ports. I have no interest in R&C1 though, and R&C2 is way more difficult than I can remember. I think I basically paid for Up Your Arsenal, which is absolutely fine. That game is fantastic.

Dominator

Really makes no sense how this isn't out in NA when they put Jak, God of War and Sly out. Hopefully it'll come soon.

Nice to see the impressions though.

Carl

They're good ports. I have no interest in R&C1 though, and R&C2 is way more difficult than I can remember. I think I basically paid for Up Your Arsenal, which is absolutely fine. That game is fantastic.

How can you not be interested in Ratchet and Clank 1?! :eek: Seriously some of the best humour in the series. You should give it a go!

How can you not be interested in Ratchet and Clank 1?! :eek: Seriously some of the best humour in the series. You should give it a go!
It's not bad at all! Just growing up I started the series with 2 so the nostalgia factor isn't there for me.

Also is it weird I'm playing 1 and thinking... Metroidvania?

Carl

It's not bad at all! Just growing up I started the series with 2 so the nostalgia factor isn't there for me.

Also is it weird I'm playing 1 and thinking... Metroidvania?

Even more reason why you should play it i think :D You're missing out if not. Some seriously great lines in there.

Dunno where you're getting Metroidvania from though!

Even more reason why you should play it i think :D You're missing out if not. Some seriously great lines in there.

Dunno where you're getting Metroidvania from though!
Ah just the feeling of having to return to old areas with new gadgets to access new areas. Probably using the term pretty loosely.

Blues1990

I'm guessing this isn't the right place to ask, but how well do the PS3 ports of the PS2 trilogy run? Better, worse, so-so?

Would a EU retail copy work with my NA Vita account?

Are all the games on cart? If not can I redeem a digital code from my NA Vita (if one is included with the cart ie Sly Collection)?

Patches - I doubt would happen, none of the other Vita collections have had patches

Carl

Ah just the feeling of having to return to old areas with new gadgets to access new areas. Probably using the term pretty loosely.

Ah, i see what you mean! In that case, yeah :)

Are all the games on cart? If not can I redeem a digital code from my NA Vita (if one is included with the cart ie Sly Collection)?

Patches - I doubt would happen, none of the other Vita collections have had patches

Vita carts are region free so yeah an EU one would work on NA Vita. All the games are on the cart i believe.

Drago

I'm guessing this isn't the right place to ask, but how well do the PS3 ports of the PS2 trilogy run? Better, worse, so-so?

PS3 Collection runs all three games at native 1080p and 60fps, and Up Your Arsenal has it's multiplayer intact and playable online. It's a fantastic collection.

Yea, the game will work on your NA Vita account. Region free! :D

All three games are on one cart, you won't have to download anything (if there was a game code, you would not be able to redeem it on your NA account)

Patches, unlike DLC, are region free, so if there was one (there likely won't be) you would be able to download it.

Lnds500

They are ok, not great. There are severe slowdowns in all three every now and then which I don't recall in the originals.

Anth1888

Just platinumed the first game. Very good port as i said before. Fucking hell though, having hoverboard tricks mapped to back touch is aggravating as fuck. Really hard to know where to put your fingers. Still, got there in the end.

Onto Ratchet and Clank 2 tomorrow.

When is the best time to go for the bolt glitch and how long did you have your Vita on for/pressing circle? It was annoying on the PS2/3 but this sort of grinding on the Vita is just a total pain in the arse.

Drago

So is this coming to NA or not?
It still remains unannounced. The US blog post about Ratchet PS4 mentioning its "July" release was copy-pasted from the EU blog so I don't think we can expect it this month. A guy on the EU blog said that it was EU only for now, as far as he knew.

If it's coming, it's gonna take a while. I already ordered a copy from the UK :/

Anyone noticing that the Nanotech (Health) gauge in Ratchet and Clank 2 keeps flashing very slowly? It's a small gripe, but a bit distracting. Hard to tell how much health I have left.

Carl

When is the best time to go for the bolt glitch and how long did you have your Vita on for/pressing circle? It was annoying on the PS2/3 but this sort of grinding on the Vita is just a total pain in the arse.

I did a full run through of the game, went back to before beating Drek. Then cleaned up skill points/ golt bolts and got the million bolts. Bought all the weapons. Then started a new game and got all the gold weapons.

I actually got bored of waiting for the bolt glitch to rack up the bolts. I worked out it was doing about 60,000 bolts per hour. I instead went to the robot plant and did the Giant Clank mission over and over, earning about 110,000 an hour. Yet it still took me 5 whole hours of replaying to get to 1 million bolts ;_;

And @ above, yeah that's pissing me off too

RK128

So is this coming to NA or not?

My bet is that it is going to be a digital-only release in NA sometime either late this month or sometime in August. It is really stupid that will be the case (considering this is a big IP of Sony's :() but that is what might happen :l.

I would love to play Ratchet 3 on my Vita now but....nope, can't due to not being able to buy the damn thing as it isn't in on NA PSN X(.

Well, I don't plan on buying it anyway (if it comes to US PSN and it isn't cross-buy....I will just wait till latter on until it is cheaper; only going to get the collection for Ratchet 2 and 3 anyway and I still have a huge backlog of Vita and PS3 games to get through), but it is annoying that NA PS Vita owners have to import a damn Sony published game JUST to play it :(.

Then again, SCEA doesn't really care for the Vita, so this taking long to come over here isn't a shock in the slightest :( (I recall the Sly Collection taking its sweet time to come over to NA as well...)

Worse. Dozens of visual bugs, and the 3rd game has a nasty habit of randomly corrupting save files (also happens very rarely in the 2nd game as well). It seems like the Vita version is the same as the PS3 version.

Running the originals via emulator is probably the best option. Only play the collection as a last resort.

RK128

Worse. Dozens of visual bugs, and the 3rd game has a nasty habit of randomly corrupting save files (also happens very rarely in the 2nd game as well). It seems like the Vita version is the same as the PS3 version.

Running the originals via emulator is probably the best option. Only play the collection as a last resort.

Really? Didn't realize the PS3 version was that bad; had it for a while but never notice all of those issues (I mean, I knew R&C3 had some slowdown every now-and-then but outside of that, the games ran fine). At least the PS3 version has the games at 60FPS like the original versions, so that is good at least :D.

Top Bottom