• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy (Vita) |OT| Hey, how about a wedgie for old times' sake?

Drago

These audio glitches (in Ratchet 1) are really starting to get to me lol

The worst is when the background music will just stop and not start up again unless I die. And sound effects will play even after whatever is causing the sound is gone or out of range. It's really weird and it happens far more often then I would like. Is it this bad in Ratchet 2 and 3? Still loving this game on Vita. Just got to Batalia.

Tsunamo

I platinumed Ratchet 1 not too long ago, the audio bugs and stiff camera got on my nerves but I got used it eventually. Ratchet 2 is a much more enjoyable port and I don't mind strafing being mapped to the rear touchpad, I just wish it was the top and bottom right of the rear touchpad so I didn't have to keep my grip in a certain position and could relax a bit more than that.

It's so great to have these on a portable.

Drago

NOOOOOooOoooOooo

OMG I was at the final boss in R&C1 and I was way low on bolts to replenish ammo with so I restarted the game to start up the last save with a buncha bolts so I could try again and silly old me I just created a brand new file over my save game

YAY I BEAT RATCHET AND CLANK ON VITA EVERYONE
time to move on to 2 i guess i dont know, im so disappointed in myself right now

it's a good thing I wasn't planning on doing a 100% of these games

NOOOOOooOoooOooo

OMG I was at the final boss in R&C1 and I was way low on bolts to replenish ammo with so I restarted the game to start up the last save with a buncha bolts so I could try again and silly old me I just created a brand new file over my save game

YAY I BEAT RATCHET AND CLANK ON VITA EVERYONE
time to move on to 2 i guess i dont know, im so disappointed in myself right now

it's a good thing I wasn't planning on doing a 100% of these games

i did this with the original game back in the day. My child self was completely destroyed in the inside. I didnt want to grind all the way back to were i was.

Just wanted to ask my EU bros - is the general consensus in terms of quality of port 3 > 2 > 1? And then if anybody has any insight on if any of the games are easier to platinum than the others?

Drago

Man Ratchet 2 has some weird crashes. The game crashed on Maktar on the Limo to the Jamming Array, then I reload my save and I'm in the Jamming Array. Finish the mission and the game crashes again, reload and I'm back in Maktar with the coordinates to Barlow (it says I didn't complete the mission though which is weird).

Just now I was on Dobbo and I transformed into Giant Clank to do the giant battle, and the game crashed again. Reload into the giant battle, finish the battle and crash again. Reload... back on Dobbo as if the game is progressing normally (and this time it says the mission is complete).

I would be angrier about these crashes but they aren't actually hindering my progress in any way (save for a mission being counted as incomplete, but the game still acted like I beat it), so whatever. The game seems to have a problem any time you travel to a different place from inside an individual planet. It's a great port aside from the crashes though, even better than Ratchet 1. No audio bugs, looks sharper, brighter, runs better, just overall a nicer port.

VLiberty

The reception to this trilogy is incredible. 8s are continously popping from european reviewers.Except in one country. Italian reviews are ripping this game a new one.

It's like reviewers tend to give marks in line with the other reviews.

First italian review: 4.8, then all the reviews that came after slapped it with 5 and 6.*
First spanish review: 8. All the other spanish reviews I've read gave it 8.

*the only exception being IGN Italy where the reviewer gave it 7.2 and joked about the other italian reviews being so harsh, while players and EU reviewers liked it.

Hellraider

The reception to this trilogy is incredible. 8s are continously popping from european reviewers.Except in one country. Italian reviews are ripping this game a new one.

It's like reviewers tend to give marks in line with the other reviews.

First italian review: 5, then all the reviews that came after slapped it with 5 and 6.*
First spanish review: 8. All the other spanish reviews I've read gave it 8.

*the only exception being IGN Italy where the reviewer gave it 7.2 and joked about the other italian reviews being so harsh, while players and EU reviewers liked it.

I gave it a 7 in non metacritic greek site. Honestly, it would have been an 8 if it weren't for the first game. Game has literally the most broken sound I have ever encountered in a videogame and there is no excuse for it to have input lag when the other two games were perfect.

Trilogy as a whole is legit though. Nowhere close to that piece of shit that the Jak one was.

Castcoder

Banned
I'll pick this up when it's on sale, along with the other collections. I understand other collections have crappy framerate, but I like the novelty of them.

Pics_nao

lol

Just started replaying the PS3 collection a few hours ago too. It'll have a physical cart right? I hear that the download is huge

I want to import this, because North America is getting the digital treatment and I rather have a physical copy of the game. Is there anything I should know before, and any websites that're recommended?

NolbertoS

I want to import this, because North America is getting the digital treatment and I rather have a physical copy of the game. Is there anything I should know before, and any websites that're recommended?

Most of us GAFers inported it from amazon UK and cost about 45-50 US. Took about 1 week for my shipment to arrive, granted I had Amazon prime. You can also try zavvi.com or HMV UK as they ship to the US too.

Drago

Amazon.co.uk shipped it out to me in a week for $42 (I think it's even cheaper now). You don't need to worry about anything as far as the cart running on your Vita, but beware of those weird Ratchet 2 crashes you may run into (as I detailed above)

My EU people, how much is this collection on PSN? It will not let me look at it. I can see its 20 on Amazon EU.

Just trying to assume how much it will be on NA PSN.

RK128

I'd bet on it. But we were saying earlier there's a chance the games might be available as separate downloads/purchases so probably $10 each

One thing to keep in mind that it wasn't the Ratchet Collection that was rated by the ESRB, but the games themselves (Ratchet 1-3) instead. I don't think that means anything or something, but if the collection wasn't rated but the games were, maybe SCEA are planing to sell the games individually this time instead of just the collections?

In US, all the Collections so far (Jak, God of War, Sly) were sold in one pack, not as separate games (that would have been nice though; bad port or not, Jak 1 for 10 bucks would have been a decent price in my book :l...).

I don't think they will do this, but the games being sold individually would be smarter considering this is digital only in the US.

Drago

Glad I imported a copy, but at least it's coming to NA in some form.
Yeah. I'm really surprised it's not getting a physical release here though when GoW and Sly did just a few months ago. I actually thought I was being hasty for importing it when I knew it was still very possible for it to come out in NA, but it looks like I made the right decision in the end.

RK128

Yeah. I'm really surprised it's not getting a physical release here though when GoW and Sly did just a few months ago. I actually thought I was being hasty for importing it when I knew it was still very possible for it to come out in NA, but it looks like I made the right decision in the end.

I guess both of those tanked at retail, making Sony decide whenever or not it was worth the costs of this being retail or not (might be the reason why it took so long for this to come to NA?).

Shame too, as Ratchet and Clank are big name IP...they could sell :(. At least it is coming to NA though :D.

RK128

I hate to dogpile, but is this all the North American promotion this game is going to get...?

You mean a simple blog post or us being excited about it?

I guess Sony will upload a US version of the EU launch trailer on Tuesday and have an official blog post about the title either Monday/Tuesday with details about the collection (is it cross-buy or not, its price, can the games be downloaded with individual downloads, ect).

Amazon.co.uk shipped it out to me in a week for $42 (I think it's even cheaper now). You don't need to worry about anything as far as the cart running on your Vita, but beware of those weird Ratchet 2 crashes you may run into (as I detailed above)

Most of us GAFers inported it from amazon UK and cost about 45-50 US. Took about 1 week for my shipment to arrive, granted I had Amazon prime. You can also try zavvi.com or HMV UK as they ship to the US too.

I'll look into Amazon UK. I usually import my Blu-Rays there. Thanks!

RK128

This delay is so stupid X(. The game has been out in EU for weeks at this point and launching the US version as digital only already is making it lose some sales....so why bother waiting its launch when they could just throw it on the PSN tomorrow?

.....sigh, Once again, SCEA has shown their amazing support for there system; lets launch out simple collection that can sell some units now against a huge indie game AND Last of Us PS4, I'm SURE that will give us some sales for Ratchet :D!

....I'm really going to get a good laugh if this isn't cross-buy XD!

No retail doesn't bother me. I prefer the all digital route with the Vita. My only vita cart is P4G and that has never left my machine.

However I have a 32gb and not everyone does. Sony really needs to drop their memory prices or package in 16/32gb instead of 4/8gb.

RK128

Man I was really looking forward to this for tomorrow:(

Me to man :(. Ah well, at least this might be a sign that this might come to retail :). Think about it; the game was just going to be a simple download file thrown on PSN but they pulled its initial launch, why would they do that? They must have produced enough retail carts of the collection in NA to the point that they would delay the game a week so those carts could be sent to retailers.

Then again, that is if the game does come to retail in NA at all though :l.

I personally just think SCEA is just messing with people here and figures "Well, they will currently pick this up over Rouge Legacy and Last of Us PS4 next week :D!!!" .....They sure are brain surgeons man :l.

Me to man :(. Ah well, at least this might be a sign that this might come to retail :). Think about it; the game was just going to be a simple download file thrown on PSN but they pulled its initial launch, why would they do that? They must have produced enough retail carts of the collection in NA to the point that they would delay the game a week so those carts could be sent to retailers.

Then again, that is if the game does come to retail in NA at all though :l.

I personally just think SCEA is just messing with people here and figures "Well, they will currently pick this up over Rouge Legacy and Last of Us PS4 next week :D!!!" .....They sure are brain surgeons man :l.

I'm hoping they moved it back a week, because maybe they'll send it to retail, as well (as digital)....

Fingers x'd

Sonofabitch!

So annoyed by this too. I really wish Sony would just tell us what's going on with this release. First it was no info, now its this weird 1 week delay. Are they doing a retail release? Are they fixing some extra bugs? Did they find some critical thing that has to be addressed? It's unbelievable how tight lipped they have been.

SCEA: "I got it, instead of advertising for R&C on Vita, we'll just make a mistake about its release date in the PS Blog a week before! That gives people more than a week's notice knowing about it, AND we don't have to spend 20 whole minutes writing a blog post about it"

Underling: "Boss, could we at least send a tweet out and let everyone know it's coming. I mean, a blog post, yeah that takes like 20 minutes so we're not doing that, but a tweet wouldn't be too difficult.

SCEA: "NO! And none of you will respond to the comments in the PS Blog posts either! We must not say ANYTHING about the collection until 10 days before its release date.

Underling: "But, Mr. SCEA sir, you know it already came out in Europe right?"

SCEA: "How else would we build anticipation?! Do you dare question me?!"

Underling: "No sir, of course not, I jus--"

SCEA: "It is because of ME the PS Vita is where it is today!! They will get Ratchet and Clank when I say so! As a matter of fact, tell the EU blog guys that it isn't even going to come out in North America...We'll get the ESRB the day before we announce it too. Just so we can keep it a secret even longer."

Underling: "One last question your highness, what reason shall we give for a 1 week delay? That seems kinda silly, so what's our excuse?"

SCEA: "Say nothing"

Underling: "Genius!"

hurzelein

I would say I'm not bad at third person Jump&Runs and I also own/love my vita for more than a year now, so I am pretty used to the sticks.

Probably in the last hour of Ratchet 1, I now got to the third checkpoint that drives me nuts. It's not even difficult, but the combination of mediocre responsiveness of the sticks, mediocre programmed responsivennes of the controls (I guess?) and mediocre camera (especialy in the magnetboots sections when the lane turns around) makes this no fun at all.

Not perfect but Good game/port until now, but I think I will give 2 & 3 some playtime on the Ps3.

Top Bottom