• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ratchet & Clank Trilogy (Vita) |OT| Hey, how about a wedgie for old times' sake?

Carl

Every Carl post just gets me a little more jelly

Ha, sorry!

Just got the platinum for Ratchet and Clank 2. Much better port than 1. Had a couple of sound glitches (weirdly the morph-o-ray in 1 and Sheepinator in 2 both caused a sound bug where the weapon noise carried on until i used another weapon (regardless of if i was actually firing)). Framerate goes to turd when there's a lot happening on screen (especially in the Desert hunting for crystals and in the snow fields hunting Moonstones).

Anyway, onto 3.

Carl

Sorry man :D

Beat Ratchet 3. Another solid port and yet there are still sound bugs (music randomly stops n some levels, in others the same part loops for a while). Sound bugs aside, the whole collection is really solid.

Now to clean up trophies on 3 and they're all platinumed (again)

Kimppis

Up Your Arsenal truly stands the test of time. Fun gameplay and just great design. Insomniac's best by a wide margin.

So much this. It's flawless. Best in the series in every way... weapon selection, story, humour, level design, no annoying minigames etc.

GameE

I cant believe this hasnt been announced for the US yet :(
I want this more than the Sly, Jak & Daxter, and God of War collections.

Carl

Wowowow the sewers in UYA. The framerate, oh god. It was always bad there but wow yeah. Thought my Vita was going to melt.

So i started playing R&C2 today, but every time i switch locations the game just crashes. Does anyone else have that problem? I really want to play this one since this is the only Ratchet game i skipped when i was a kid, but this problem is just annoying :/

So i started playing R&C2 today, but every time i switch locations the game just crashes. Does anyone else have that problem? I really want to play this one since this is the only Ratchet game i skipped when i was a kid, but this problem is just annoying :/
Never had that... Is your game cart or download?

Tambini

I got that sometimes, nothing you can do but it only seems to happen going to and from certain places. weird thing is that when you restart the game after it crashed, it will actually load you on the planet you were trying to go to so t least it doesn't stop progression

Carl

That's bizarre. Most annoying bug i had was replaying the space races, after a certain number of resets the game bugs out and some of the rings disappear and you have to switch planets to get them back >.<

Drago

My import copy came in today. That was a lot earlier than I expected!!

Guess my Vita playthrough of Sly 3 will have to wait :p

That's bizarre. Most annoying bug i had was replaying the space races, after a certain number of resets the game bugs out and some of the rings disappear and you have to switch planets to get them back >.<

I'm not really sure why this keeps happening :/ I switched the game at the store today, deleted my data, started a new save..and the same thing happened. Think im going to try to contact the devs and see if they are aware of this. Guess i'll skip R&C2 for now.

Drago

Started playing Ratchet 1 all the way up through Novalis.

Some quick impressions;
-The game looks really nice. It looks just like the Jak Collection did. For a non-native res game, it still looks bright, colorful, smooth, and overall very pretty. Sure I wish it were native res but it's still very fine and very good looking for what it is.
-Framerate is super solid. Haven't experienced any dips, not that I came into any hectic situations that would cause them yet. I wish it were 60fps but I will take a locked 30fps over what we got in Jak 1 and 3. :p
-There is some input lag but it hasn't been too bad so far. I only really noticed it at the very beginning and haven't had any problems since. Pretty sure the first game is the only one with this problem based off other impressions I've read of 2 and 3.
-There are some weird audio glitches. Music stopping, sound effects out of nowhere, bad loops, etc. Nothing that bothersome but it's a shame that there are problems.

I'm pretty happy with it so far. It plays very nicely. Really sucks that it's MIA in North America. I'd probably recommend importing it at this point for anyone in NA who wants it given how SCEA seems to be totally silent on it's release here. Amazon UK got it to me in exactly a week, I'm really shocked and impressed (expected delivery day was the 25th)

Carl

BsO1N6iIUAA8pdJ.jpg

That didn't take too long :)

LosDaddie

Banned
Oh wow. I had no idea this trilogy was coming to the PSV. I never did finish UYA, which I thought was amazing.

I will definitely buy this. When is the release date for NA?

That didn't take too long :)

How long did it take you? I might do Platinum runs for all 3 if the time demand isn't too long.

RK128

Oh wow. I had no idea this trilogy was coming to the PSV. I never did finish UYA, which I thought was amazing.

I will definitely buy this. When is the release date for NA?

How long did it take you? I might do Platinum runs for all 3 if the time demand isn't too long.

While there is no release date yet (for some stupid reason X(; SCEA sure loves the Vita man...), it is realistic to expect this to come to the NA PSN the earliest late this month and the latest the middle of next month. I'm personally waiting on whenever I will import this or not (wanting to see if this is cross-buy in the US; can't be the price of free if that is the case :D).

They are wonderful games, notably the third Ratchet (still one of my favorite games of all time :D), so they are well worth there price :).

I'm still playing the original on Vita, but I'm nearly done.

How is the strafing on the sequels? It's backtouch, I know, but is it tolerable? I see someone platinum'd it, so...

Its absolutely fine really. My heart sank when I found out about the backtouch, but it isn't an issue.

Cool, thanks. I've had problems with the Ratchet 1 strafe (double tap R with jetpack equipped, hold backtouch and move), but I don't have the backtouch placement down, yet.

Redhood

Do not want to be the bearer of bad news but was searching ESRB for the rating of vita version and there was none to be found. Dont know if or when SCEA is planning to release it.

Do not want to be the bearer of bad news but was searching ESRB for the rating of vita version and there was none to be found. Dont know if or when SCEA is planning to release it.
If they won't release a decent port of one of the best selling Playstation franchises, I'm a little concerned going forward.

Carl

how is it compared to Jak ?. How many hours did you put in ?.

Didn't play much of Jak so can't really compare. It's a good port though, runs well majority of the time. Framerate dips in 2 with the crystal and moonstone gathering, and dips when gathering sewer crystals in 3. But apart from that it's solid (odd sound glitch aside).

It took me 6 days but i did play pretty much constantly over those days. Judge for yourself :)

Drago

Especially ironic considering that we first found out that the Jak and Sly Collections were being ported to Vita because of ESRB leaks. (Same for R&C Nexus Vita, but it seems that will never be released at this point, huh)

I just have no clue as to why it isn't being released here. No idea what they're waiting for

Especially ironic considering that we first found out that the Jak and Sly Collections were being ported to Vita because of ESRB leaks. (Same for R&C Nexus Vita, but it seems that will never be released at this point, huh)

I just have no clue as to why it isn't being released here. No idea what they're waiting for

Forgot about that, probably being held up for the same reason.

Any chance they're holding it to coincide more closely with the release of the Ratchet and Clank movie?

Started up Ratchet and Clank 1 today... been such a long time that it took me a bit to get used to the speed and weight of Ratchet, and acclimate to the feel of the camera, after switching back and forth from normal/reverse.

Game's feeling fun again already, and still looks good imo, but this one at least definitely feels a little dated. It may just be the 4:3 and artifacting, but man the in-engine cut scenes look great and the pre-rended cutscenes look awful in comparison.

Glad to have these games on a portable. 2 was my shit in 2004 or 2005... so much.

RK128

My bet is that they are saving the Ratchet Collection for next month to space out NA Vita releases. Considering SCEA isn't producing much software of there own (really, SCEE and SCEJ are the ones now making original Vita exclusive software now with SCEA handling the PS3 Remaster Ports), they figure it is best to save this for next month so that way the release line-up looks better.

The lack of an ESRB tittle for this in NA hints at this being a digital-only release over here (I guess the GoW and Sly Collections didn't sell that well at retail in NA :l), so they figure just throwing this on the NA PSN (with no cross-buy with the digital PS3 version; they didn't do this with the Jak and Sly Collections, so I don't expect that to be the case here at all sadly :(....) on the cheap is the best option for them :l....

As for Nexus Vita....while there are enough hints suggesting that Tin Giant were working on a Vita version of this, there isn't enough proof to suggest that the game is still coming; I think it got canned due to how horrid the FFA port was. Insomniac must have been really pissed at this treatment of there game series they love, so they must have expected there Nexus port to be crap too, making them force Sony to pull the Vita Nexus port from development.

There was also that video from E3 of Nexus running on Vita (oddly really well too :l...) but its very likely that is just the PS Now demo that was on the Vita show floor (as Nexus was one of the games that was available to test the service at E3). Between how crappy FFA ran on Vita and how Nexus had many frame-rate drops on PS3, its hard to believe that the Vita version of Nexus could look and run better then the PS3 version.

NolbertoS

I just got it a day ago from Amazon UK. Don't regret it one bit for importing anf loving playing Ratchet on the go :) most likelY SCEA will release a digital version, but looks like NA is FUBAR for a physical release.

Blues1990

PS3 Collection runs all three games at native 1080p and 60fps, and Up Your Arsenal has it's multiplayer intact and playable online. It's a fantastic collection.

They are ok, not great. There are severe slowdowns in all three every now and then which I don't recall in the originals.

Worse. Dozens of visual bugs, and the 3rd game has a nasty habit of randomly corrupting save files (also happens very rarely in the 2nd game as well). It seems like the Vita version is the same as the PS3 version.

Running the originals via emulator is probably the best option. Only play the collection as a last resort.

Ummm.... So, given that I'm getting three opinions that are conflicting to one-another, I think I might hold off on picking it up.

PaulloDEC

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm damned if I can find a straight answer to it. If you own a retail copy of the PS3 Trilogy, are you part of the cross-buy deal?

RK128

So I'm sure this has been asked before, but I'm damned if I can find a straight answer to it. If you own a retail copy of the PS3 Trilogy, are you part of the cross-buy deal?

Nope, it sadly only applies to those who bought the game digitally :(. That is the issue with these collections; because they come out after the PS3 version launch, cross-buy wasn't featured on the retail disks when they launch (and they can't just patch the games to enable cross-buy via disk; they don't want to give the game out for those who got the game used or something :l...).

Its a shame, but that is sadly how this stuff goes with the cross-buy collections :(....

RK128

Ummm.... So, given that I'm getting three opinions that are conflicting to one-another, I think I might hold off on picking it up.

While I didn't play all three to completion on PS3, they are very solid remasters :D.

Ratchet 1 is the worse simply due to them not adding the strafing feature from Ratchet 2/3 (though that is just a nit-pick I have with it :l) but the game does have some visual bugs (mostly on the models; sometimes during the cut-scenes parts of it clip through....It is much, MUCH better then how it was handled in Dreadlock HD though). The game still runs at 60FPS and doesn't have the slowdown issues Ratchet 2 and 3 have. Its a great port :D.

Ratchet 2 and Ratchet 3 both look great and run well on PS3 (both 60FPS). The issue is the slowdown, but even then, it pops up so rarely that it isn't much of an issue (in Ratchet 3 for example, during the sky-diving sequences, you get at most 3-6 seconds of bad slow down, then it goes right back to being 60FPS). Slowdown also happens in all games during the odd explosion here or there (though again, this happens rearly).

The collection is a damn good one and doesn't have the sound bugs that the PS Vita version has. If you want to pick it up, I recommend it :D.

If a US version remains unknown I'll bite on an import after the price goes down a bit. It's just a little too up there right now for me

RK128

If a US version remains unknown I'll bite on an import after the price goes down a bit. It's just a little too up there right now for me

My bet is to wait and see if they announce anything this week; for all we know, the PS Vita version of the collection will be cross-buy with the PS3 version in the US as well (meaning you will get the collection for free :D).

I never import, so I will wait until whenever it comes here (and it will; Ratchet and Clanks IS a big Sony series.....it would be stupid for them not to bring it over here when they have such little work to do).

I expect it to be on PSN only though; if it is coming and the ESRB has no rating for it, then Sony most likely will just throw the game up on the PSN NA and call it a day (it must cost them far less money to just upload the NA Vita version of the collection then make retail copies and ship them to stores).

PaulloDEC

Nope, it sadly only applies to those who bought the game digitally :(. That is the issue with these collections; because they come out after the PS3 version launch, cross-buy wasn't featured on the retail disks when they launch (and they can't just patch the games to enable cross-buy via disk; they don't want to give the game out for those who got the game used or something :l...).

Its a shame, but that is sadly how this stuff goes with the cross-buy collections :(....

Ah well, I guess maybe I'll just grab a physical Vita copy once it gets a little cheaper. Thanks for the info!

Top Bottom