• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

AshMcCool

Jesus F Christ, this game is GOOOOOOOD. When they introduced diving, I thought thats probably the part thats going to suck, but I was so wrong. So wrong.

So uh, any tips on beating that
screen moving glitch
at the end of the
pirate's treasure
level?

I'm very angry at this game. It didn't help that I sat down to play and that was the first level I picked up at.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
So uh, any tips on beating that screen moving glitch at the end of the pirate's treasure level?

I'm very angry at this game. It didn't help that I sat down to play and pirate's treasure was the first level I picked up at.

From what I've read on here, it sounds like you have to quit and reload the level.

90sRobots

So what's the platform of choice: PS3 or 360? Is this a platformer that invites the use of the analog stick or is it all digital?

90sRobots

Gotcha, didn't know if run/walk mechanic was based on the analog stick. Thanks, guys.

PS3 it is! Sorry Xbox, maybe next d-pad. Sorry Wii, I like looking at non-blurry art assets.

This game gets harrrrd :(

Those treasure chest chases are kicking my ass. I can finish them, but it sure is taking a heck of a lot of tries.

Metal-Geo

Aw yeah. Just finished it on the PC.

Really wish they did more with the game, though. The animations and characters are funny, and really deserved more spotlight. I wouldn't 've minded watching 60 minutes worth of cutscenes, to tell you the truth.

And with a name like Rayman Origins, I really expected a bit more, y'know, story.

I really hope they'll give Rayman Origins 2 a more 'epic' treatment. Everything just deserves way more attention in this game than they're given. Rather than running and jumping past everything so quickly.

Also, I was quite surprised by the enormous list of credits. I thought this game was developed by a team of 5 to 10 people. (Which made me appreciate the game a lot when it was announced)

Ah well, time to get every medals and time attack trophies.

Finished this on Vita yesterday and 2 levels left on PS3 that I'm co-oping with my daughter. Absolutely brilliant game and some parts are very challenging. Love it. Plenty of replayability too with all the speed challenges and hidden chests and milk teeth.

Just played the first 2 levels on the Vita. Holy Shit! The game is gorgeous and it has been a really long time since I've enjoyed the actual jumping in a 2D platformer outside of a Mario game so much.

It also looks like it will take me a long time to find the secrets.

Edit: Just wanted to check. Are there any secret areas and collectibles I can only get to using co-op or characters other than Rayman?

This was a great ride. Beautiful game with interesting level-design that kept mixing it up. Didn't find it as tightly designed as a mario or a super meat boy, but it doesn't have to be. I'm just going to get the complaints out of the way:

In general I'm not a fan of overly scripted gameplay, and there's alot of that toward the end-game. Several cases where if you don't do exactly what they've designed you to do you either die or the level bugs out. Trial-and-error can be fun if done right, but not when you there's no room for dynamicity in the gameplay and it just becomes a matter of memorizing every quirk of the level/boss and let your muscle-memory take care of the rest. (Chasing treasures serves as amazing exceptions though)

The platforming-mechanics aren't a hundred procent solid imo, which is something that gets more appearent the more time you spend doing speed-runs and treasure-hunts. I had a few instances of me getting snapped in front of enemies when jumping on them and other wierd stuff like that, which can be frustrating when you're doing an intense speed-run. Speaking of speed-runs, I think they were generally a bit too generous with the time-limits, since I'd complete most of them on my first try with plenty of time to spare, even when I weren't playing very well. I like the feeling of crossing the finish-line in the last second.

Rewards are weak. I know that they went for a minimalistic approach with this and that the gameplay should be the reward in of itself, but after finishing the demanding
graveland-level, I was expecting something more than a gothic fairy that appears for 3 seconds - cue credits.
Ending was anti-climactic as well. While funny, I wish'd they'd expanded on the world some more. I like the world and characters, so I wouldn't mind some additional goofing.

These are minor complaints, but I felt like airing them. Fucking incredible game though and one that will get a replay from me, which is the highest recommendation I can give to any game.

Metal-Geo

rallyart

Neo Member
Hello guys, I would be glad if someone known an answer to this question

has pc version some kind of vibration function if I´m playing with a x360 controller?

ACE 1991

Hello guys, I would be glad if someone known an answer to this question

has pc version some kind of vibration function if I´m playing with a x360 controller?

I came here to ask if 360 controller support is integrated at all, it doesn't seem to recognize my controller when I booted up the game.

Cyport

I've completed the game and got platinum trophy on Vita but I haven't actually got all the gold badges (only 5 left).

I'm wondering what happens if I get them, will there be a hidden level or bonus because since getting the platinum I haven't got much urge to get all the gold badges.

olimpia84

GAF should I get this for my PS3 or wait until I get a Vita? Any major differences on the versions? I'm leaning towards the PS3 version to enjoy the visuals on the big screen; unfortunately it seems that I missed most good deals to get the game for cheap.

jett

D-Member
GAF should I get this for my PS3 or wait until I get a Vita? Any major differences on the versions? I'm leaning towards the PS3 version to enjoy the visuals on the big screen; unfortunately it seems that I missed most good deals to get the game for cheap.

1080p > *

Massa

The PS3 version has coop, the Vita version has competitive leaderboards.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
I dont even know how to proceed now....ive beaten all the levels that i can, and when i try to go some new area, this little movie plays saying i cant proceed because i didnt do something yet. Sorry for the vagueness, its been a week since ive played.

I think its trying to tell me that i didnt beat bosses yet, but ive just been going from stage to stage in the order that they appear.....am i missing something? Do i need to replay stages to get things in order to face the bosses?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I dont even know how to proceed now....ive beaten all the levels that i can, and when i try to go some new area, this little movie plays saying i cant proceed because i didnt do something yet. Sorry for the vagueness, its been a week since ive played.

I think its trying to tell me that i didnt beat bosses yet, but ive just been going from stage to stage in the order that they appear.....am i missing something? Do i need to replay stages to get things in order to face the bosses?

Sounds like you're at the point where four new sets of levels have opened up. You have to play through them and kill the boss at the end of each to proceed. Just go back to the map and you'll see them (if you haven't figured this out already).

JCV

Unconfirmed Member
Since I have nothing to play these days, I feel like buying it, even though it's still 30 bucks. I'll probably pick it up on Steam. Anything bad to report on the PC version?

Finally picked this game up. Pretty much bought it out of spite of that Legends leak. I heard great things about it from everyone, so I finally dove it and I'm glad I did. I haven't been this charmed by a game in a long time. This is my first ever Rayman game too. Does the Rayman universe really ever get explained? It's not make or break for me, just curious.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Rented it on PS3, just wonderful. Only problem I have is the controls, which does this weird dash thing sometimes instead of a regular punch (which has killed me a few times). I'm pretty sure it happens when I am moving/holding the run button down, but sometimes I could of sworn it does it while even holding still. I really hope you can somehow map that to a separate button, because for all the flack Donkey Kong Country Returns got for having the dash mapped to motion; at least I had a 100% choice of punching or dashing. I'm sure I'm doing something wrong, but right now it is a bit frustrating.

I'll be purchasing this on my Vita soon. I prefer my 2D platformers up close and personal, and I won't be playing this online/co-op. Besides, I need something else for my Vita before Gravity Rush comes out. I can't believe I held out on this so long; I am the problem confirmed. :p

Brashnir

Finally picked this game up. Pretty much bought it out of spite of that Legends leak. I heard great things about it from everyone, so I finally dove it and I'm glad I did. I haven't been this charmed by a game in a long time. This is my first ever Rayman game too. Does the Rayman universe really ever get explained? It's not make or break for me, just curious.

Nothing at all gets explained in this game. You run to the right and do stuff, and then it ends just as it began.

E-phonk

Banned
bought this game yesterday and it's a blast.

Didn't really think the local co-op would be so fun. Really a game to recommend for this feature alone.

I'm kind of shocked this doesn't have online co-op. My friends and I moved out of the dorms recently and I thought we could continue via XBL. Scratch that idea...

I finished this game over the weekend and had a great time. I'm not a fan of this style of game for the most part but the music and visuals were amazing. Really looking forward to Rayman Legends now.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
This game is great, but i don't think ill ever platinum this one. It's frustrating that when you die you don't keep the lums, special coins, etc...you just got and have to get them all over again. To me it makes going for that real hard to get coin not worth it because if i die a minute later, im back to the part before i got the hard coin, and i have to get it again.

I went back to the game to collect all remaining teeth and pink stuff. That last chase was glorious. And I never thought I could tackle the land of the livid dead but I made it!

The only remaining trophies are the speed trials but I won't bother, the last stages gave me enough trouble to par.

Never had so much fun being brutalised by sadistic level design. What an awesome game.

Fabrik

Banned
Ok I've just started this (End of World 2) and...I already had glimpses of platforming genius. It made me think of Yoshi's Island, the last 2D platform-game with creativity in every corner of every levels. That a game evokes such feelings is very rare. Let's see if the quality keeps going until the end...

Ok I've just started this (End of World 2) and...I already had glimpses of platforming genius. It made me think of Yoshi's Island, the last 2D platform-game with creativity in every corner of every levels. That a game evokes such feelings is very rare. Let's see if the quality keeps going until the end...

World 2. Eh eh... you're in for a treat. It keeps going. Up. Very much so.

Brought this today on Steam. I don't know but it's still not clicking with me control-wise. I remember controlling the demo fine on the PS3. I'm using a PS3 controller and motionjoy and it feels frustrating. It's probably just me.

Anyone know what the robeta is? It's under the beta tab and requires a password.

*Edit* Tried the demo on the 360 and went back to play it on PC. I forgot that I had those clip-on triggers on my PS3 controller when I played it on the PS3 (which I don't have anymore). The 360 controller felt better playing it. There will be a patch for the diagonal movements.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Please tell me that I'm not the only one who died multiple times trying to get through the Livid Dead. This game is too damn addicting, especially if you're trying to grind out the platinum trophy.

I died plenty of times throughout that level. I think the vertical wall jumping portion of the game needs to be tweaked for the next game. It's a crapshoot whether or not I can hit the wall and jump off, or hit the wall and propeller spin to my death.

And other than the firebreathing guys on the mexican food stages (best music ever, btw), those zombie grannies have the worst hitboxes.

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
Amen on the wall jump/run. That's where I died the most. I'm now attempting all the speed runs. From what I've read so far, after the 3 world, I'm in for a lot of hurtin' l0l

Tiktaalik

Does anyone else think this game is really boring? Controls great, looks pretty, but the levels are very similar in appearance and gameplay (I'm midway through world two). There's just simply nothing really egging me on to keep playing. I'm not much interested in collecting up to 100% and I have this overwhelming feeling of "why am I playing this same old thing" whenever I give it a shot.

I'd consider myself a gamer that enjoys platformers, and so this should be right up my alley, but it just hasn't pulled me in at all. When I look at the Metacritic I'm surprised to see such high scores because my opinion on games is not usually this much of an outlier.

Turned this on again today only to discover that i'd lost my grasp of the games control style, I was dying all over the place...

So does anyone else always recreate the lum song on the file select in time with the title screen music by moving over the files? I have to do it everytime!

Top Bottom