• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Lijik

Wow going to the community forum is a death sentence for an OT.

I didn't realize "The Reveal" was the last level, so now we've beaten it. Really enjoyed it, more so than any 2D platformer I can remember.

I think I noticed a problem with game development now though. The credits are ridiculous, at least 15 mins of way too many people involved in the game. I know most are just listed but still, way too many hands in the cookie jar. No wonder they cost an insane amount to develop and then flop at a high $60 price.

Most of its just marketing people. Marketing people who are dogshit at their job.
The people who actually made the game last the standard length of credits (hell the animation team is only like 5 people)

Just 1000/1000'ed it. I'm missing one ribbon on the Bird Boss, but don't care enough to get it.

Game was great, lots of fun. I had a few minor complaints with inconsistencies in controls due to the wall run (angle of jump off of wall, retaining momentum following a wall to wall jump) and attacking. Noticed a couple annoying bugs as well, but nothing major. Biggest complaint would probably be the bosses. For the most part they were annoying and required complete memorization of their attack patterns.

The way checkpoints were handled were great, they certainly minimized the frustrations when trying to get 350+ lums as I could just replay a small section if I missed a couple.
How would you design a boss in a 2D game? I personally think they did a great job with them.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
How would you design a boss in a 2D game? I personally think they did a great job with them.

If they increase the telegraphs by even half a second, I think it would have been less annoying to deal with. Also, give the player a heart and not make everything one hit kills.

Himself

Some thoughts:

-This game handles underwater and ice levels with more finesse than any other 2D platformer I know of.

-It's incredibly versatile. I played through the first half with my girlfriend which meant it was sort of slow going yet still incredibly fun. Now that I'm on my own I'm really appreciating how incredibly precise and fluid the controls and platforming are.

-Fuck "The Reveal". It seems like the fudnamental physics of the game shift from moment to moment and you just have to learn how far your jump will go on any given platform. Haven't beaten it yet.

-Even without finishing it, I'd say my 2-D platformer list of this gen. goes something like:
1-Rayman Origins
2-Donkey Kong Country Returns
3-Super Meat Boy

-The music...my GOD is it incredible.

-People who think "this should have been downloadable" could not have possibly played it. The amount of content and the level of polish is insane. If only all $60 games were like this. It's just endlessly fun to play. Except for "The Reveal". Fuck "The Reveal".

I loved this game to death. That's all I can say. The treasure chases were my favorite part. The last level had some excellent platforming too. Rayman 2 is still the king for me, though.

I'd buy a game that was nothing but those chase sequences, they're really, really fun. They remind me a lot of Bit.Trip Runner, which I also loved, except more exciting. Flying through them is thrilling, especially when you're able to get through a new section your first try.

The last level (the "real" last level) was amazing too, so many awesome moments where you're jumping on pure instinct based on what the game has taught you.

I still need to go back and finish this up, I beat the last boss about a month ago now, got 100% on all of the first set of levels, and then stopped about half-way through the second set. It's cool to see people are still posting in the OT, even if it isn't particularly active. I tell everyone I know who likes platforming they should check this out, I guess it's pretty much a failure commercially at this point but hopefully it will be remembered as a classic down the line like Beyond Good and Evil.

There's 10 worlds until the end credits
, and then one special world you can unlock after

If memory serves, the underwater levels are in world 3 or 4, so you have quite a ways to go.

Im thinking 5 more worlds with awesome bosses

Thanks. Yeah, I got to that boss with the pink things on his shoulders and top of his head last night.

Looks like there is much more than I thought to this game. Kind of surprising actually.

Trying to wrap up my speedruns in the last two worlds but it's slow going, lots of fun though and very rewarding.

My only complaints aside from the uninspired bosses (mechanics-wise) would be the controls could have been a lot better. I often get the feeling that much like the old school difficult platformers this game is made a lot harder due to controls/physics/timings. Or maybe Meat Boy just spoiled me. I just feel like SMB and DKCR had perfect control and timing logic to their physics in the context of the game design, this game is still good in that area just not as good, same with Dustforce. For example, the hardest levels in this game would be relatively easy with Meat Boy-caliber controls.

Feep

Banned
I'm way late to the party, but I went through some more Rayman: Origins today.

The treasure chase levels are some of the purest platforming bliss in the history of gaming, in my opinion, rivaled only by the jetpack-less sections of Super Mario Sunshine and certain challenging levels in Galaxy. Just had a smile on my face the entire time, even when I was dying over and over again. = D

Seven teeth down! Do I need all electoons in the game to access the Land of the Livid Dead?

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I'm way late to the party, but I went through some more Rayman: Origins today.

The treasure chase levels are some of the purest platforming bliss in the history of gaming, in my opinion, rivaled only by the jetpack-less sections of Super Mario Sunshine and certain challenging levels in Galaxy. Just had a smile on my face the entire time, even when I was dying over and over again. = D

Seven teeth down! Do I need all electoons in the game to access the Land of the Livid Dead?

Just the teeth

Trying to wrap up my speedruns in the last two worlds but it's slow going, lots of fun though and very rewarding.

My only complaints aside from the uninspired bosses (mechanics-wise) would be the controls could have been a lot better. I often get the feeling that much like the old school difficult platformers this game is made a lot harder due to controls/physics/timings. Or maybe Meat Boy just spoiled me. I just feel like SMB and DKCR had perfect control and timing logic to their physics in the context of the game design, this game is still good in that area just not as good, same with Dustforce. For example, the hardest levels in this game would be relatively easy with Meat Boy-caliber controls.

I really can't relate to this sentiment. It's like saying Gran Turismo would be easy if the cars handled like they do in Burnout Paradise.

The feel of Rayman Origins feels superb to me. I always feel capable of doing exactly what I need to do it, when I need to do it.

What kind of tv are you playing the game on?

I really can't relate to this sentiment. It's like saying Gran Turismo would be easy if the cars handled like they do in Burnout Paradise.

The feel of Rayman Origins feels superb to me. I always feel capable of doing exactly what I need to do it, when I need to do it.

What kind of tv are you playing the game on?

55" LED Mitsubishi HDTV @1080p. And it's not that I think the controls are bad, it's just that I think they could have been a bit more precise and accurate. Their hardly pixel perfect and somewhat floaty at times, but again maybe I'm just being unfair to the game based on what I've been exposed to. It's certainly no SMB3/Meat Boy-type accuracy that's reflected in the conrols/physics and level design.

I guess what I'm saying is there's not a lot of depth to the core control mechanics/physics to offer a lot of refinement in maneuvers and technique. There just seems to be a lot of "moves" added (wall run, hover, shrink etc) and it never really gets off the ground requiring players to invest heavily in mastering and exploring the nuances of the controls, and encourages it through level design. Something I feel DKCR and SMB did a lot better at.

Damn, this game gets challenging near the end. I was breezing through the first few worlds with my girlfriend in tow, but now she can barely stay alive at all. While I appreciate the challenge for me, it kind of sucks that it's so difficult that she's dying left and right while I muscle through to the end.

240/246 electoons, and I'm out, I'm fucking out. The time trial levels on the final world... fuck that shit. Ancel can go suck it, that shit is impossible and not fun at all.

Feep

Banned
Beat the game and Land of the Livid Dead tonight. So much fun. = D

Best 2-D platformer since Yoshi's Island, and second only to that game, in my opinion. Spectacular.

Alx

Does anyone have any tips for the time trials? I can barely do the ones in the first world.

I'm not very good at time trials, but I think chest chases are a good training for them (at least in the beginning, to master the controls). They'll teach you to go through a level at full speed, without stopping ; the regular level designs are not so different from the chase ones, since you can usually bounce/swing/jump from one obstacle to another in a single move.
Some early time trials also become easier when you unlock new abilities later in the game.

Shiggy

Just finished the first two worlds. Is the game difficulty going to increase immensely or is it staying rather player-friendly?

And I must admit that I hated Rayman Advance, wonder why this game is so much better.

J@hranimo

Banned
Just finished the first two worlds. Is the game difficulty going to increase immensely or is it staying rather player-friendly?

And I must admit that I hated Rayman Advance, wonder why this game is so much better.

Don't worry, it will jump in difficulty I would say....twice.

I need to get on getting the rest of the red teeth. I've been slacking >_<

Svafnir

This is by far my favorite platformer this generation, and I only found the final chase level with all the things dropping hard. I remeber DKC:R being harder.... But I might be rembering wrong, oh well.

Time to get all the collectibles!

Brashnir

After finishing up with this, I lent my copy to my sister and her husband/kids. The kids are now completely obsessed with all things Rayman. It's pretty adorable. They've made Rayman paintings, and sculptures, and are shockingly good at the game, considering that they're 4 and almost 6 years old. Mom and Dad help them out from time to time, but they've logged most of the game time so far, and they're on the final (non-livid-dead) world. The 4-year-old beat 3 of the 8 treasure chases they've finished so far.

So if you have young kids and are afraid this game might be too hard for them, don't be. They might not be able to complete the game on their own, but they'll spend hours trying and love every second of it.

The only problem is that now I have to buy a second copy of the game to keep in my collection. There's no way I can tear my old copy away from the kids.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I have just opened the 4 new worlds but can't get 350 looms in Dashing Thru the Snow. Any tips? I've tried quite a few times and I'm pretty sure I've done a "perfect run". Still, stuck on 339. I've got all the coins, used the secret cage areas, used the king looms to their full potential. So annoying.

After finishing up with this, I lent my copy to my sister and her husband/kids. The kids are now completely obsessed with all things Rayman. It's pretty adorable. They've made Rayman paintings, and sculptures, and are shockingly good at the game, considering that they're 4 and almost 6 years old. Mom and Dad help them out from time to time, but they've logged most of the game time so far, and they're on the final (non-livid-dead) world. The 4-year-old beat 3 of the 8 treasure chases they've finished so far.

So if you have young kids and are afraid this game might be too hard for them, don't be. They might not be able to complete the game on their own, but they'll spend hours trying and love every second of it.

The only problem is that now I have to buy a second copy of the game to keep in my collection. There's no way I can tear my old copy away from the kids.
Yeah, you lost that copy.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Just finished the Vita version. The game was great and it looked superb on the small screen. My only concern is that the camera is a bit too far away by default and zooming it in results in harder item collecting.

Still, I've found The Reveal to be pretty easy. At least after clearing the Land of the Living Dead first.

One more thing - someone here said, that there were too many people involved in the production and that statement was based on the length of the credit roll. I call BS, the credits are just painfully slow. That's why they take so long to finish.

Murkas

Just finished the Vita version. The game was great and it looked superb on the small screen. My only concern is that the camera is a bit too far away by default and zooming it in results in harder item collecting.

Still, I've found The Reveal to be pretty easy. At least after clearing the Land of the Living Dead first.

One more thing - someone here said, that there were too many people involved in the production and that statement was based on the length of the credit roll. I call BS, the credits are just painfully slow. That's why they take so long to finish.

The credits are probably the only bad thing about the game.

Also finished the Vita version, got 7 teeth I think and 1 relic. I have no idea how I got that single one, are relics that well hidden?

Will take a break from the game but will definitely come back to try and 100% it.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
The credits are probably the only bad thing about the game.

Also finished the Vita version, got 7 teeth I think and 1 relic. I have no idea how I got that single one, are relics that well hidden?

Will take a break from the game but will definitely come back to try and 100% it.
Ah, the relics. I just found the last one, but didn't have a clue how to look for them until I checked all the tips in the hat near the tutorial one.
The secret is to not look for them, but to listen. When you hear a sound of rattling bones, it means the relic is probably on the screen. Don't waste your time looking, start tapping the screen like crazy and you should uncover it. I've found all using this method. And even after unlocking them I didn't know where exactly they were hidden.

Murkas

Ah, the relics. I just found the last one, but didn't have a clue how to look for them until I checked all the tips in the hat near the tutorial one.
The secret is to not look for them, but to listen. When you hear a sound of rattling bones, it means the relic is probably on the screen. Don't waste your time looking, start tapping the screen like crazy and you should uncover it. I've found all using this method. And even after unlocking them I didn't know where exactly they were hidden.

I did not know they had audio cues!

I was listening for the "help me" cries throughout the game for the hidden cages so I didn't notice the rattling bones, I've probably walked past loads of them in that case.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I did not know they had audio cues!

I was listening for the "help me" cries throughout the game for the hidden cages so I didn't notice the rattling bones, I've probably walked past loads of them in that case.
Yeah, I didn't notice them at until I've read that tip. And before that I've done that one level 3 times looking in every nook and cranny for the relics and wasn't able to find any beside the tutorial one.
After noticing the audio cue, gathering them became super easy.

Finally got around to picking this up online in some sales. What a preeeeeetty game.

I can see the OCD in me is going to make it frustrating later on, but so far it seems great.

RichardAM

Kwanzaagator
I was going to make a LTTP, but the replies are still pretty recent- holy shit I love this game!

I picked it up super cheap on a whim remembering the E3 videos, and the game is the platformer i've been waiting all gen for. The art direction, the music and sound effects, it's all so much fun. It controls fantastically too- something that's been off with LBP and any of the recent Sonic attempts.

Definitely a missed contender for my GOTY.

I still need to hit 200 of those pink things to unlock the chase level to unlock the undead world. I'm at 189 right now, do I get a "pink thing" if I get a speed time medal?

Top Bottom