• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

lunchtoast

I still need to hit 200 of those pink things to unlock the chase level to unlock the undead world. I'm at 189 right now, do I get a "pink thing" if I get a speed time medal?

Yeah, I think the time trials there are times for both a pink thing and a medal. Not sure though, haven't played it for awhile.

I still need to hit 200 of those pink things to unlock the chase level to unlock the undead world. I'm at 189 right now, do I get a "pink thing" if I get a speed time medal?

Ya, there's a slower time to get the pink thing and a faster time for the trophy thing. So like one level might say 1:40 for the pink thing and 1:10 for the medal. You only get the pink things from time trials, cages, and ending a stage with 300 lums.

I just beat the game finally yesterday. The undead world was kind of disappointing but the game was still amazing. Debating whether to get all the cages/pink lums/medals/etc.

lunchtoast

Ya, there's a slower time to get the pink thing and a faster time for the trophy thing. So like one level might say 1:40 for the pink thing and 1:10 for the medal. You only get the pink things from time trials, cages, and ending a stage with 300 lums.

I just beat the game finally yesterday. The undead world was kind of disappointing but the game was still amazing. Debating whether to get all the cages/pink lums/medals/etc.

How did you find it disappointing? I only played it a couple times and I don't have the patience or temper for it. Watched a video of it and no thanks to that.

Murkas

Got the Plat on the Vita version!

I'm sure it's somewhat buggy, I got the get all relics trophy when I got the second to last relic and I also got the get all medallions when I only reached 300 Electoons and not the 350 for the final medallion.

Oh well!

How did you find it disappointing? I only played it a couple times and I don't have the patience or temper for it. Watched a video of it and no thanks to that.

What the last level? I just thought it would be longer and sort of disappointed the boss only took three hits. It just felt really quick. Although the stupider than hell like 25 minute credits might have soured me also.

Shiggy

So I finally took some more time with it and I think it's one of the weaker 2D platformers I've played on the Wii.

First of all, it looks gorgeous, better than any other 2D platformer on the system. Still, it's sometimes hard to see whether some objects are in the background or whether they are part of the player's layer.
In addition, the controls feel a bit weak, which might only be a problem of using the Wii Remote+NunChuk combo. Jumping and flying does not always work as intended as both actions are mapped to the same button. There's also the problem of doing a walljump when I actually don't want to do one... [Using the Wii Remote is out of the question as it renders the game nearly unplayable in the water and flying sections].
Moreover, the collision detection is weak. Sometimes I was hit by a fireball when I was still quite a bit away. Also, at times it was pure luck whether I could jump to the platform above or whether I couldn't, both times it looked more or less the same. Even worse, Rayman could grab some platforms while he couldn't grab others - I've yet to find out how this is meant to work.

But these are all small issues, the main problem I had was that I found it absolutely boring. I loved Super Mario World, I appreciate NSMB, I love Wario Land, and I even enjoyed Kirby Epic Yarn - but I just don't feel the love for Rayman Origins. I've finished 7 worlds now and there's just a huge lack of challenge - and I'm a rather bad gamer.

Perhaps the title is great fun in multiplayer, my sister assured me that's the case. I will finish up the main game and then I'll take a look at the time challenges. The levels I liked the most were those "high speed" levels in which you build a rainbow to the next world or something like that. I would've also greatly enjoyed the follow-the-chest levels, if it wasn't for the flaws mentioned above.

So I finally took some more time with it and I think it's one of the weaker 2D platformers I've played on the Wii.

First of all, it looks gorgeous, better than any other 2D platformer on the system. Still, it's sometimes hard to see whether some objects are in the background or whether they are part of the player's layer.
In addition, the controls feel a bit weak, which might only be a problem of using the Wii Remote+NunChuk combo. Jumping and flying does not always work as intended as both actions are mapped to the same button. There's also the problem of doing a walljump when I actually don't want to do one... [Using the Wii Remote is out of the question as it renders the game nearly unplayable in the water and flying sections].
Moreover, the collision detection is weak. Sometimes I was hit by a fireball when I was still quite a bit away. Also, at times it was pure luck whether I could jump to the platform above or whether I couldn't, both times it looked more or less the same. Even worse, Rayman could grab some platforms while he couldn't grab others - I've yet to find out how this is meant to work.

But these are all small issues, the main problem I had was that I found it absolutely boring. I loved Super Mario World, I appreciate NSMB, I love Wario Land, and I even enjoyed Kirby Epic Yarn - but I just don't feel the love for Rayman Origins. I've finished 7 worlds now and there's just a huge lack of challenge - and I'm a rather bad gamer.

Perhaps the title is great fun in multiplayer, my sister assured me that's the case. I will finish up the main game and then I'll take a look at the time challenges. The levels I liked the most were those "high speed" levels in which you build a rainbow to the next world or something like that. I would've also greatly enjoyed the follow-the-chest levels, if it wasn't for the flaws mentioned above.
Sorry, but any time people talk about poor controls/collision detenction/etc. with this game I have to dismiss their opinion out of hand. Especially if they're comparing Origins to Epic Yarn and finding the former boring. And what self respecting fan of platformers plays a game with the Wiimote+nunchuck combo when there's a CC option? I'm going to stop now because every time I read your post I find something new to completely disagree with. Different strokes and all that, but all that stuff about inconsistent controls etc. is objectively hogwash imo.

Shiggy

Sorry, but any time people talk about poor controls/collision detenction/etc. with this game I have to dismiss their opinion out of hand. Especially if they're comparing Origins to Epic Yarn and finding the former boring. And what self respecting fan of platformers plays a game with the Wiimote+nunchuck combo when there's a CC option? I'm going to stop now because every time I read your post I find something new to completely disagree with. Different strokes and all that, but all that stuff about inconsistent controls etc. is objectively hogwash imo.

People tend to have different opinions, sorry.
Still I would like to know how the grabbing an edge thing works. Why can I grab some edges while I cannot do so at others?

And what's wrong with the NunChuk+Wii Remote combo? I would've much preferred using the Wii Remote-only option, but obviously, that doesn't work in this game either. If you're a real 2D platformer lover, then stick controls should feel wrong in general :p

May I ask whether you've played the Wii version or the HD one? Perhaps the collision detection problems are only in the Wii version. It's also not that this is everywhere in the game, just at a few very annoying places.
Did you at least notice the occasional graphical errors?

Right now I also wonder why gamers are forgiving Ubisoft so many things such as the lack of online co-op and the lack of a "real" fourth character when those two things were some of the huge weaknesses of NSMB Wii. It looks like Nintendo is up to higher standards.

Lijik

Shiggy has been consistently down on this game since day one, its not surprising he would find any way he could to not like it.

Shiggy

Shiggy has been consistently down on this game since day one, its not surprising he would find any way he could to not like it.

Why would've I bought it then if I had no intention to enjoy it? Saying that I'm biased is kind of stupid as there's really no reason for it. I usually only buy games I'm hoping to like, I feel sorry if that's not the case for you.

Right now I also wonder why gamers are forgiving Ubisoft so many things such as the lack of online co-op and the lack of a "real" fourth character when those two things were some of the huge weaknesses of NSMB Wii. It looks like Nintendo is up to higher standards.

Probably because the single player alone is the GotY for 2011

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Been thinking of grabbing the PS3 version of this...whats the consensus on GAF for this game? Anyone platinum it...just curious how hard the trophies are too.

Lijik

Why would've I bought it then if I had no intention to enjoy it? Saying that I'm biased is kind of stupid as there's really no reason for it. I usually only buy games I'm hoping to like, I feel sorry if that's not the case for you.

Im surprised you were hoping to like it considering every time you posted in a Rayman Origins thread it was always to point out the one negative preview you came across and harping how it wasnt going to be as good as Mario 3D Land.
That sure sounds like someone who wanted to enjoy the game.

(also no, the tetris section got cut)

Shiggy

Im surprised you were hoping to like it considering every time you posted in a Rayman Origins thread it was always to point out the one negative preview you came across and harping how it wasnt going to be as good as Mario 3D Land.
That sure sounds like someone who wanted to enjoy the game.

(also no, the tetris section got cut)

Right, I probably said that I did not expect god-like gameplay for Origins once or twice. So yes, I must be a real hater...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=28350250&highlight=rayman#post28350250
Even better, I was one of the few people even posting updates on NeoGAF during the title's media blackout in Nov 10-March 11. Just because I hoped it would turn out really bad, obviously.

Played the demo today. Thought it was great. I've been so out of the platformer loop, the only thing I can compare it to is DKC on SNES.

So I ordered it with the artbook.

Are there any other good platformers on PS3 or PS2 that I've missed?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Any reason to get the PC version if I already have the PS3 version?

I haven't much played the PS3 version yet, but it's already displaying in 1080p... any benefits to the PC version?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Any reason to get the PC version if I already have the PS3 version?

I haven't much played the PS3 version yet, but it's already displaying in 1080p... any benefits to the PC version?

Higher resolution support, but that doesn't mean much if you have a 1080p or lower monitor. Aside from that, they're pretty much identical, as far as I can tell.

Pakkidis

Just finished the game yesterday. This is easily one of the best games I've played this generation. I loved it. Unbelievable. The sense of accomplishment you get when you finally beat a level is great. I just beat
the land of the living dead boss

I found the main game to be average to hard difficulty where the bonus levels are a pain in the ass but so much fun.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't know why I wrote the PS3 version off so quickly based on the demo. I'm loving it on Vita. It's such a well-constructed platformer.

I'm finding myself very rarely discovering relics on my own, though. I hear the bone sounds and I look around for ages, then I just press my finger all over the screen and it pops out.

Question, does Rayman have analog run? I was playing the demo on my PC to test out my PS3 controller and it feels weird to press the run button. On the PS3 demo I vaguely remember not having to. Maybe it's just me. Using motionjoy, 360 emulator profile.

Brashnir

Question, does Rayman have analog run? I was playing the demo on my PC to test out my PS3 controller and it feels weird to press the run button. On the PS3 demo I vaguely remember not having to. Maybe it's just me. Using motionjoy, 360 emulator profile.

you definitely have to hit the sprint button to sprint.

I don't know why I wrote the PS3 version off so quickly based on the demo. I'm loving it on Vita. It's such a well-constructed platformer.

I'm finding myself very rarely discovering relics on my own, though. I hear the bone sounds and I look around for ages, then I just press my finger all over the screen and it pops out.

Are Relics on the 360/Wii/PC versions? I've never seen them at all...

Pakkidis

Just got all the achievements. Those speed trophies were definitely the hardest. Some maps took me a solid hour just to get the trophies.

Grinchy

Banned
Just got all the achievements. Those speed trophies were definitely the hardest. Some maps took me a solid hour just to get the trophies.

Damn, that's what I was worried about. I naturally leave those for last, and now I know I have an uphill battle coming up when I beat the game.

Grinchy

Banned
Oh my god the music in the underwater levels is incredible. And I can't get over how gorgeous the game looks at times.

Dave Long

Banned
Kids and I
unlocked the bosses
and it just seems like this game keeps going on and on with the awesome! I love the music. Everything is so happy and fun!

Pakkidis

Damn, that's what I was worried about. I naturally leave those for last, and now I know I have an uphill battle coming up when I beat the game.

Yeah, some speed trophies I got on my first try and others I was absolutely determined to get no matter how long it took me. What is amazing about the level design is that most if not all the levels are designed to be speed runs and you begin to see the beauty of the game.

When you first play the game you simply enjoy it but when you start going for speed trophies you begin to see why certain enemies/platforms were placed in just the right spot to keep momentum moving forward.

Had this for a couple days and I don't even have to think about this being the best in artistic graphics this gen, also loving the level design and the OST is great, such a satisfying platformer and gives me a grin every play session.

Grinchy

Banned
Yeah, some speed trophies I got on my first try and others I was absolutely determined to get no matter how long it took me. What is amazing about the level design is that most if not all the levels are designed to be speed runs and you begin to see the beauty of the game.

When you first play the game you simply enjoy it but when you start going for speed trophies you begin to see why certain enemies/platforms were placed in just the right spot to keep momentum moving forward.

I definitely agree there. I've done all the speed challenges in the jungle so far and most in the desert. I started noticing how conveniently placed some enemies and obstacles were.

As much as I love the music in the water levels, I am not looking forward to the time challenges there.

Top Bottom