• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

zeioIIDX

This has honestly been the first Rayman game I've truly enjoyed and I love the art style! I've only ever played Rayman on the GBA though :/ I know.

Does anyone else think this game is really boring? Controls great, looks pretty, but the levels are very similar in appearance and gameplay (I'm midway through world two). There's just simply nothing really egging me on to keep playing. I'm not much interested in collecting up to 100% and I have this overwhelming feeling of "why am I playing this same old thing" whenever I give it a shot.

I'd consider myself a gamer that enjoys platformers, and so this should be right up my alley, but it just hasn't pulled me in at all. When I look at the Metacritic I'm surprised to see such high scores because my opinion on games is not usually this much of an outlier.

Honestly? I'm kind of with you. There is a lot to like about this game, but I've simply stopped playing it now, and I can't imagine mustering the interest in picking it up again. I don't really like the "feel" of the controls, there doesn't seem to be much connect between the characters and the environments, and I find it all a bit sparse if I'm honest.

It's excellent for sure, and I want to see more games like it, but I don't think it's quite for me.

Fabrik

Banned
but the levels are very similar in appearance and gameplay

I just arrived at the mountain world, which looks to be really fun, but I was starting to feel the same last night. It's like in each world there's always the same kind of obstacles but with a different skin. Swinging vines and bouncing platforms. The introduction of wall running seem to spice things up though. I need to finish it first to make an informed opinion.

Nabs

Does anyone else think this game is really boring? Controls great, looks pretty, but the levels are very similar in appearance and gameplay (I'm midway through world two). There's just simply nothing really egging me on to keep playing. I'm not much interested in collecting up to 100% and I have this overwhelming feeling of "why am I playing this same old thing" whenever I give it a shot.

I'd consider myself a gamer that enjoys platformers, and so this should be right up my alley, but it just hasn't pulled me in at all. When I look at the Metacritic I'm surprised to see such high scores because my opinion on games is not usually this much of an outlier.

Ehh, you're not alone.

Hmmm....

Everyone should finish the game before deciding whether or not it is boring. There's a good amount of different mechanics available to you as you progress and the challenge really ramps up on the last few areas. I feel like they made most of it purposely easy so people wouldn't be turned off, but it looks like that is having the opposite effect.

For those people who like 2-D platformers, what other ones would you recommend on the PS3 or PS2?

Also, for those people who are having trouble with the Pirate's Alley glitch: I died a bunch of times trying to get through it, then I changed my character to one of those short guys and the glitch disappeared. I wish I tried it before I almost put my foot through my TV.

Are you judging the game or are you asking other people to judge it for you?

If it's the former, then you should play through the game before making a general opinion on it that other people will read.

If it's the former, then you should play through the game before making a general opinion on it that other people will read.

I don't think it's necessary to complete an entire game before forming an opinion on it. If it can't engage me this far through it doesn't seem like it's unreasonably impatient of me to pack it in.

Edit: I don't think it's a bad game at all, but as far as 2D platformers go, I wouldn't put it in my top thirty, let alone ten. I just don't get on with the feel, and I know I'm not the only one.

Shiggy

Do you always play through boring games and do not make your opinion before that? Don't know, I'd rather quit or if it's bearable, I keep on playing.

I had similar feelings, perhaps also because the individual levels were rather long. I don't agree on the controls being great though, it just felt wrong if you were asking for precision.

Do you always play through boring games and do not make your opinion before that? Don't know, I'd rather quit or if it's bearable, I keep on playing.

Do you think it's a legitimate opinion if you haven't finished the entire game? If so, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree.

In my personal experience, a few opinions I had about the level design, difficulty and enemy design changed after I beat the final levels. Yours may as well. Or not.

I think it's fair to say you could make it halfway through a game and draw a reasonably informed opinion from at least that far, if you haven't enjoyed it up to that point odds are the next half wont do much to change your opinion even if it does get better.

overcast

I was considering picking this up pretty soon so I can have a co-op run with my GF. We played the demo and she had a blast (I knew I would love this game already). I have a few questions though. How difficult is it? How is the local co-op? I also wanted to know about how long it is?

Thanks in advance. We will play it after we beat Trine 2 though.

Massa

Do you think it's a legitimate opinion if you haven't finished the entire game? If so, then we are just going to have to agree to disagree

What is a "legitimate" opinion? When I play a game for 15 minutes I already have an opinion about it, whether I want to or not. I personally try to keep an open mind and not necessarily stuck on "defense" of my opinion even after beating a game many times, it makes for more interesting discussion and I learn more about my tastes and about games.

In your specific case - if your main problem with a game is lack of variety, it seems obvious to me you might have a completely different take on it after playing more of it. I'd be asking people's opinions on how the game changes things up from that point instead of writing it off.

In your specific case - if your main problem with a game is lack of variety, it seems obvious to me you might have a completely different take on it after playing more of it. I'd be asking people's opinions on how the game changes things up from that point instead of writing it off.

I'm not sure if this is directed at me, but I'm in the the revisit of the Band Land or whatever it's called; the musical instrument level. Is playing through the whole game worth those final few levels? Are they of a significantly higher calibre compared with the others?

I do like this game a lot, and I'm wondering if the sheer crapness of the plant boss may have soured me on the game unreasonably. I'm certainly having a blast going through with a friend, and I love the Moskito stages. With the platforming though, I feel like the genuinely superb level design isn't exactly flattered by the confusing edge detection.

Point is, I'm still playing, but I'm just not getting the amazingness that keeps this game mentioned in almost every thread, relevant or otherwise.

Have Amazon gift card that will cover the cost of this, so I'm gonna buy if after really liking the demo tonight. Is there a reason to get 360 version over PS3?

Got this when it was $15 the other day on steam, and it's better than I ever could have imagined.

It just instantly put a smile on my face, and it's such a delight to play. I can't believe how much fun I'm having with it, and the music and art are just incredible. I'm so excited to see what all lies in store with this game.

Grinchy

Banned
I am probably in the minority on this, but I feel like this game gets annoying toward the end. It becomes so trial-and-error and repetition based. Some of the chase sequences are just not fun to me. It is gorgeous and I've really liked the game leading up to it, but I'm not sure if I even care about beating it anymore. edit- nvm, just beat it. Great game. It just started to annoy me toward the end.

noobasuar

Banned
I am probably in the minority on this, but I feel like this game gets annoying toward the end. It becomes so trial-and-error and repetition based. Some of the chase sequences are just not fun to me. It is gorgeous and I've really liked the game leading up to it, but I'm not sure if I even care about beating it anymore. edit- nvm, just beat it. Great game. It just started to annoy me toward the end.

Yep, I feel the same way. I just beat the game like 10 minutes ago and while I had a'lot of fun there was just to much trial and error going on during some sections of the game. For example the last level where your chasing that little guy drove me insane and it took me like 100 tries to get through that section. Very, very annoying.

There is no damn way I'm going to go back and try to get everything..... at least for a while.

Grinchy

Banned
Yep, I feel the same way. I just beat the game like 10 minutes ago and while I had a'lot of fun there was just to much trial and error going on during some sections of the game. For example the last level where your chasing that little guy drove me insane and it took me like 100 tries to get through that section. Very, very annoying.

There is no damn way I'm going to go back and try to get everything..... at least for a while.

Yeah when I was first playing the game, I thought I would get the platinum trophy for sure. I was really liking it. After beating it, I put it right up on Amazon. Really good game, but the idea of replaying all of the levels a million times for the other challenges is no longer appealing in the least.

Fabrik

Banned
Ok so I've just finished it. And let me withdraw what I said earlier and putting it on the same level as Yoshi's Island. It's nowhere near that. It's a good platformer. But in that field Nintendo is still king. First I was enjoying myself because everything is so vibrant and gorgeous (This is its main achievement, Nintendo should take note). But after one third of the game, it began to be a bit samey and I just wanted it to end. In NSMBWii and Yoshi's Island, almost every level introduces a new concept. But here, you see everything of Rayman Origins in the first few hours. As I said above, all the worlds have the same type of obstacles just with a different look.
In reality there's only 5 worlds (Jungle, Desert, Ice/Lava, Sea, Mountain/Technological <- I put those two in one because they're so short), and a lot of the levels look like each other. Very few are really unique and memorable (The one with the bones snakes is cool, the one inside the monster belly (Nod to Yoshi's Island?), the last level, and the chest chases). The rest is a blur. The enemies all react the same way and don't have any pattern. I didn't like the way every levels is cut into several sections, that's probably one of the reason why levels are not memorable, because you don't see the overall view. Also, the world maps are lame.
The bosses are too trial and error and frustrating. I have no desire to collect every lums, catching 300 per level is not fun, so no Land of the Living Dead for me. The music is sometimes awesome (Under the sea and in the mountains I think) but often subdued, too discreet or ambient. Not athletic enough.
On the other hand, I had no problems with the controls. Ok sometimes there's some annoyance here and here when Rayman grabs a ledge for instance but it's nearly flawless. But I think Rayman repertoire of moves is a bit lacking. No special powers for instance. The number of actions in the game is quite limited.
I'd give the game 7 out of 10.
NSMBWii >>> Donkey Kong Country Returns > Rayman Origins.

Nabs

If you're not enjoying this game after the halfway point, there's no use in pushing through. The game may technically get better, but it won't be any more enjoyable. I won't be touching this game again.

I felt like the levels were too long. The game dragged for a bit with the bosses at the end. Collecting stuff was not fun. Oh, and that final level @ Moody Clouds can go die. I hated how things were triggered.

Dave Long

Banned
So for people who played this game, did you play it solo? I can easily see where that would be hard and not as much fun. Playing with four players was a total blast! I can't wait to play Legends on the WiiU!

Theonik

So for people who played this game, did you play it solo? I can easily see where that would be hard and not as much fun. Playing with four players was a total blast! I can't wait to play Legends on the WiiU!
I played solo. Had an absolute blast. 2 player I didn't like.

Dave Long

Banned
That's cool. I enjoy it solo as well, but I do see where that might be more frustrating. With four of us with pretty decent skills levels race by, and when it gets a little slow we beat the crap out of each other. :)

PaulSancheezzee

Neo Member
This was an excellent game playing straight through it, not caring about 350 lums, relics, etc. After trying to grind out 100% completion, I burned out in the 3rd world after completing the first 2. Pretty sure I'm done with it. It's just too time consuming/frustrating replaying the same damn level over and over.

I'm on the Living Dead level and am getting frustrated. When running along falling platforms, sometimes when I jump, Rayman gets that "spark" trailing out behind him which allows him to run vertically up the coffins instead of just clinging to their sides.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't happen. He clings to the side and rides to his inevitable doom.

How do you control the difference? Going crazy with it working 50% of the time.

We are nearing the game's end i guess, only have one of those final worlds + 1 boss left...

How hard is the Land of the livid dead level gonna be in comparison to the rest of the areas?

Theonik

We are nearing the game's end i guess, only have one of those final worlds + 1 boss left...

How hard is the Land of the livid dead level gonna be in comparison to the rest of the areas?
Very very hard. But don't worry, they have save points on every room so you can try again and again.

Is the Vita version of this game glitched when it comes to the relics or what?

I have gotten all of the relics and yet when I go to the snoring tree the big puzzle to the left is still missing a piece....

So is anyone else having this problem too? Is one relic only available through Near or is it simply an annoying glitch?

Dr.Hadji

I'm on the Living Dead level and am getting frustrated. When running along falling platforms, sometimes when I jump, Rayman gets that "spark" trailing out behind him which allows him to run vertically up the coffins instead of just clinging to their sides.

Sometimes, though, it doesn't happen. He clings to the side and rides to his inevitable doom.

You don't. This is one of the areas where the game is janky. It will either do the context sensitive action or it won't. You can try to finagle it and come up with a system but you should be able to luck into it before a formal solution arises.

Lijik

What version are you playing? I remember having this problem in the Wii version (and in other areas) but never encountered it once playing the PC version.
Im curious if it got fixed for the PC, or if I just lucked out on my replay.

You don't. This is one of the areas where the game is janky. It will either do the context sensitive action or it won't. You can try to finagle it and come up with a system but you should be able to luck into it before a formal solution arises.

I ended up beating it this way: it seems if you run all the way to the END of a vertical platform, it breaks your chain. If you jump just before the end, it seems to keep it going. Worked for me after many frustrating attempts at not getting it.

What version are you playing? I remember having this problem in the Wii version (and in other areas) but never encountered it once playing the PC version.
Im curious if it got fixed for the PC, or if I just lucked out on my replay.

PS3...and yeah I did have the same problem in other levels as well, but this is the only one where you need to keep up that maneuver for a really extended period of time.

Skiesofwonder

Walruses, camels, bears, rabbits, tigers and badgers.
Just picked up the Vita version on Amazon for $19.99 (along with Last Window). I've been waiting it out for one of the handheld versions, and after seeing how poor the 3DS version looks compared to this one; I decided to bite. I would of gotten it earlier, but was (and still am) trying to clear out my backlog. I couldn't pass up $19.99 for the Vita version though!

I have Gravity Rush to finish up (on Ch. 14), Kirby Mass Attack on backlog, Theatrhytm tomorrow, this coming in on Thursday, and Last Window should arrive at the end of month when I'm done with all those. I think I'm about to enter handheld gaming heaven!

After running into it on the PS3 version, I cannot BELIEVE that the Vita version still has the Pirate's Treasure glitch (youtube it if you don't know what I mean) WTF Ubisoft? You couldn't fix that in a port that came out months later? Why does this company have such crappy bug testing/quality control?

Lijik

After running into it on the PS3 version, I cannot BELIEVE that the Vita version still has the Pirate's Treasure glitch (youtube it if you don't know what I mean) WTF Ubisoft? You couldn't fix that in a port that came out months later? Why does this company have such crappy bug testing/quality control?

Thats odd, its fixed in the PC version.
Granted the Vita port was done by a different team than the PC version

Does it only occur under certain conditions? I didn't face it at all on the Vita.

Fireblend

Banned
I got this game on the Steam sale, and wanted to repost my impressions here:

GAME OF THE SALE. I've already spent 9 hours playing this on co-op mode with my girlfriend and brother, and we're all floored by the sheer awesome of this game. The music is absolutely brilliant, the visuals and character animations look great and have literally made us laugh on more than one occassion, the level design is the best I've seen in any platformer, *period*. Collecting stuff throughout the levels doesn't feel like a chore, there's lots of content, and the fun level is off the charts. I'm so happy with this purchase, I don't care if $15 is considered a lot for a game on a sale, it was absolutely worth it.

Such a great game, everyone deserves to play this.

Rocket786

I spent two hours on the pirate's treasure chest only to realize that it was glitched. Somehow I finally made it and beat the damn level. Even though that level was infuriating, the game is fun as hell, and I'm loving every minute of it. Can't wait to get home from work and continue playing tonight!

ghibli99

Just chiming in here to say that I beat this last night on PS3 (all Electoons, Skull Teeth/LotLD). Decided not to go for Platinum pretty early on. I knew I would burn out trying. Great game, but I liked DKCR's level design and Super Meat Boy's controls better. I had some real struggles with the controls all the way to the end. There were many times where I felt like deaths were because of something odd with the physics or my character not doing what I thought they would based on the buttons being pressed. I know a lot of folks would disagree since so many people point out that the controls are perfect for them. I still managed to 100% it, though, so they aren't terrible by any standard. Maybe it's the DualShock3... I find myself constantly repositioning my thumb, especially during underwater passages.

I would say the levels I raged the most on were the later ones like Ice-Fishing Folly and Mecha No Mistake. The Land of the Livid Dead was actually not too bad, thanks to the generous checkpoints throughout. The way people talk about it, I was expecting to have to one-life the entire thing. Glad that ended up not being true!

Nonexistent ending was nonexistent, though... it's like they didn't even try. :(

Overall, though, BEAUTIFUL game with some really unique/fun music, and some inspired level design, too. I'd give it an A-. I was pleasantly surprised to read that there's going to be a sequel, too, while Googling this thread.

One other thing of note: This is the first Rayman game I've ever finished (well, this and Jungle Run, but that game was way short), and I've played almost all of them. Looking back, this generation has been pretty amazing for platformers!

TripOpt55

Hey guys. I hope this is an okay reason to bump this thread. I did a Rayman Origins-themed Jack-O-Lantern and thought some people here might enjoy seeing it. Here is a picture.

ibmoMspq54Ggfy.JPG

The hoodie sweat shirt kind of had to be changed as I went and didn't turn out perfectly, but I think overall it came out well. I hope some of you guys get a kick out of this.

Lord Phol

Hi, a quick question, I'm gonna buy this on PS3 or Steam to play co-op with a friend, are there any reasons to go with one version over the other?

Top Bottom