• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

bender

What time is it?
It is so pretty and run silky smooth. Controls feel spot on. It looks like there are five playable characters in the demo (4 from the outset and one unlocked by collecting 9 Electoons that are hidden in the game though I think three of them are for meeting time/collection bonuses). One of the hidden rooms containing an Electoon seemed to be themed after Angry Birds. I've never played a Rayman game before but this demo has sold me.

I don't see an option for co-op but I don't have a second controller plugged in.

edit: I forgot to mention that I love the music and the loading screens are interactive. :)

S1kkZ

wow @ the demo. i dont care if this drops in price soon after release, this game deserves a full price purchase. so awesome.

mileS

Thank you for this thread because it reminded me that this game is out soon.
Thank you for this thread because I had no idea a demo was out and probably wouldn't have noticed it otherwise.

downloading now.

GrayFoxPL

nickslicl said:
superficial impressions :

beautiful of course
unlockable costumes
speed run timer available after you complete a level
I find the platforming fun. You can play it safe or go for trickier platforms to collect stuff
did i mention its beautiful?

alright, i'm getting back to it. i apologize if you find my impressions poor

Good impressions.

S1kkZ

only complaint: its pretty hard and the checkpoints are too far apart for my taste. other than that: fucking awesome. will buy this day one.

Mifune

Mehmber
Even though I'm not gonna have any time to play it, and really shouldn't be spending more money on games, I think I'm gonna get this Day One to support Ancel and his team.

Using the $20 credit I got from Newegg's Dark Soul's LE preorder fuck-up so I don't feel too awful about the price. I'm sure it'd be worth the $60 anyways. Gotta support this game.

S1kkZ

ViewtifulJC said:
That is my impressions from several of the videos as well. "Well its certainly pretty"
i wasnt to impressed with the game until i played the demo. it just clicked.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Loved the demo, fantastic music, it feels like your playing a Disney cartoon, animations are amazing, I really wish there was more 2D plat-formers that took advantage of current gen hardware.

One thing though, I've never really played a Rayman game before, partly because I'm actually not a fan of the character himself, I know it may seem petty but the floaty/disjointed body parts of the character have always bugged me but I noticed in the demo you can choose different characters, can you play through the whole SP campaign with those other characters rather than Rayman?

El-Suave

It plays great and looks and sounds even better. Soo good when it zooms in on you.
The world map music is whistling along as I type this, putting me in a good mood in the middle of the night.
What a nice breath of fresh air.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
El-Suave said:
It plays great and looks and sounds even better. The world map music is whistling along as I type this, putting me in a good mood in the middle of the night.
What a nice breath of fresh air.

Hehe, almost used this as the thread title. Demo impressions are promising, keep em coming. Although they are making the wait even harder for me.

Adam J.

Playing the demo now. Hooooly shit it's F'n amazing! Havent geeked out over a game this hard in a long time.The graphics, the gameplay, damn...It beautiful! Debating whether I want to play with stick or d-pad. D-pad seems like the obvious choice, but I really want to play this on the 360 in my living room...Decisions..

Darktails

So, I just played the demo and I'm absolutely stunned. I had *so* much fun! The game looks absolutely gorgeous, the controls are tight, the music is simply a delight and I can't wait to play more! This was the most sheer unadulterated fun I had with a video game in a long time. I was thoroughly enjoying myself the whole way through. Amazing stuff! :D

mileS

Maybe its because I haven't played a real platformer for years but I have to agree some of the checkpoints seem a little too far spaced out.

But holy shit at the music and the jaw dropping visuals.. my god. The gameplay felt super smooth and fun as well. Going to buy this for sure but I hope the checkpoints don't sour my fun with the final game.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy christ the demo is great. Definitely trying this on 360 though, holding R2 to run on the last part starting hurting my finger.

Adam J.

Papercuts said:
Holy christ the demo is great. Definitely trying this on 360 though, holding R2 to run on the last part starting hurting my finger.

You can use any of the tops buttons. I'm using R1 and it feels good.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Adam J. said:
You can use any of the tops buttons. I'm using R1 and it feels good.

Oh really? That's good.

And yeah, the game seems like it'll be actually pretty difficult, which is awesome to me.

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Yeah you can tell the game is definitely going to have it's challenging moments, especially from watching the video at the end of the demo, little worried about the check points in that regards, as other have said a few of them in the demo felt to far apart.

Universaldamps

Neo Member
Downloading it at the moment too. I'm still on the fence about what console I want it on. Hopefully after I give the demo a go, I'll be able to make up my mind. Sort of leaning towards the PS3, despite me generally getting multi platform games on the 360.

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Looks great, didn't have the speakers on much. Seems like the music is good, the sound fx could get annoying.

Sadly, there doesn't not seem to be much (if any) invulnerability after getting hit. I would get hit twice (usually by the same thing) within seconds of each other and lose my life.

Time Trial implementation seems frustrating.

Adam J.

Yeah, the last chase scene in the demo is a decent challenge. One slip up and it's to the beginning of the level for you.

Emitan

Lathentar said:
Time Trial implementation seems frustrating.
How so? The only frustration I had was speed running the level multiple times and getting no time recorded and thinking that I wasn't beating 50 seconds so it wasn't recording it. Once I figured it out I got the trophy on my first try.

burgerdog

Kmart is doing a buy 1 get another at 50% off next week.

In case you can’t decide, next week from 11/13 – 11/19 Kmart will be offering a buy one get one 50% off on featured games:

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Reg. $59.99 360/PS3)
Assassin’s Creed Revelations (Reg. $59.99 360/PS3)
Rayman Origins (Reg. $59.99 360/PS3)
Saint’s Row the Third (Reg. $59.99 360/PS3)
Need For Speed: The Run (Reg. $59.99 360/PS3)
Halo Anniversary (Reg. $39.99 360/PS3)

50% savings will be applied to the lesser or equal value item of the pair.

In addition to MW3. even though it's not listed there.

I'm getting skyrim, rayman, halo, and ac:r for a total of $120 due to the deal and two coupons that I have from previous purchases.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Does KMart sell PC games? Because that would solve my Skyrim vs. Rayman dilemma.

edit - ahhh, it's not listed n/m

burgerdog

Snuggler said:
Does KMart sell PC games? Because that would solve my Skyrim vs. Rayman dilemma.

edit - ahhh, it's not listed n/m
They don't carry pc games when there's a console sku. It sucks, I know.

I'm glad I skipped on Sonic Gen for right now, the demo was so fucking beautiful. The music, my God.

D7sLW.gif

YES it works flawlessly with the Neo Geo pad, doesn't look like Select is used either so the Saturn USB pads should be just as good.

Can't Wait.

krYlon

Demo is wonderful, harder than I expected but that's good.

It's like a mix of Earthworm Jim and Locoroco, but better.

TEJ

One thing I really loved about the demo is that it didn't have a "created in flash" look. everything was so gorgeous. Doesn't hurt that it played well and was fun too.

The demo made me a believer in this game.

Emitan

MvmntInGrn said:
YES it works flawlessly with the Neo Geo pad, doesn't look like Select is used either so the Saturn USB pads should be just as good.

Can't Wait.
Select is to drop in or out of co-op. Which is useless if you're first player I'd imagine.

AwRy108

Absolutely loved every morsel of the demo... until I got to the 3rd stage and the big worm things were chasing me. Game immediately went from fun and challenging to flat out irritating--the worms are way to close, so you have almost no room for error. Anyone know what % of the game contains these annoying bits? If it's a small amount, then I can stomach them b/c everything else seems so glorious.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
The drop in - drop out on the fly co-op is outstanding. My wife got tired of playing after about 20 minutes on the demo and just pressed select and boom she was out.

Top Bottom