• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

jett

D-Member
Demo was okay, it doesn't have the tight and satisfying controls/mechanics of a Mario or of DKCR even. Did not enjoy the water level AT ALL. Visuals are gorgeous though, it looks even prettier than I expected

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I just hope all the levels are not this linear.

Some vintage Rayman levels would be great.
Yeah, that would be quite nice. I really enjoyed the demo a lot, but I was hoping it would play a bit more like the original Rayman.

The_Darkest_Red said:
My goodness this game is strikingly good. I played through the entire demo last night with my wife and we both had a blast. She isn't much of a gamer either so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

The game reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns mixed with some Super Meat Boy mechanics (based on the video at the end) and an incredibly unique artstyle. The music was also fantastic.

I told myself I was only going to buy Zelda and possibly Super Mario 3D Land the rest of this month but this game is making that very difficult...
Do it! Unlike Zelda and Mario, this game NEEDS our support. How many fully hand drawn 2D 1080p 60 fps platformers on a disc have there been this gen? Answer: none.

Make it your 3rd game this month. ;)

dark10x said:
Do it! Unlike Zelda and Mario, this game NEEDS our support. How many fully hand drawn 2D 1080p 60 fps platformers on a disc have there been this gen? Answer: none.

Your words are so convincing... Suddenly I need to give them my money...

taoofjord

Holy crap, the feel of moving rayman around is brilliant. I was expecting it to play like a flash game but it feels perfect. And holy crap is it gorgeous in motion!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
jett said:
Demo was okay, it doesn't have the tight and satisfying controls/mechanics of a Mario or of DKCR even. Did not enjoy the water level AT ALL. Visuals are gorgeous though, it looks even prettier than I expected

I guess you mean the physics?, I don't really have much experience with Rayman games but I didn't think they ever really had Mario/Donkey Kong type physics did they?, I think it's like that by design, I don't think Mario type controls/physics would suit this type of game really.

Trejik

cjelly said:
Enjoyed the demo. Will pick up for £18 in December.

Too true. Sad thing really, but it's worth shelling out for games like Skyrim, BF3 and AC:R just because you know it'll be a while before they lower in price.

Rayman Origins will be cheap come Christmas/Holiday.

Empty

videogaming tragedy of the commons. i can't blame people for not shelling out day 1 - games are expensive, the world economy is shit, lots of competition, it makes sense to wait and save money - but it's sure gonna suck when the game dies at retail.

lowrider007

dark10x said:

I'm there, this is day one purchase for me, it's sad how little attention this genre/type of game has got this gen, this genuinely feels like a first party Nintendo game to me which is the highest compliment I can give it, sadly it probably won't get anywhere near the sales of one though :-(

Jeels

Ya I kind of wish they stuck with the PSN/Arcade release route. I would have seen myself buying this and if I liked it buying every future episode. I just don't see myself paying full price for this.

lowrider007

Jeels said:
Ya I kind of wish they stuck with the PSN/Arcade release route. I would have seen myself buying this and if I liked it buying every future episode. I just don't see myself paying full price for this.

May I ask why?, is it because it's 2D?, what makes this different from an other game you'd consider paying full price for? I don't see why this shouldn't warrant a full rrp tag tbh, you can tell from the demo the production quality and value is very high.

People say 1$ dollar iphone games are hurting the perceived value of big full price games but I'd argue that for the enthusiast market xbla and psn titles are having a more negative effect on peoples value perception of full rrp games, there seems to be a growing audience that believes unless a game is a massive cinematic experience with explosions it should on the xbla/psn shelf for 15 bucks.

Jeels said:
Financially it may have been wiser to shorten the game up and take that route but as a consumer I'm really glad they didn't. The industry needs more robust 2D platformers sold at retail.

Jeels said:

Ahhh why would you want this? This is like, the ONLY game of its kind this generation. We NEED more of them.

Jeels said:
iVw8rb0qCEWP7.gif

Why does it make any difference? Wouldn't it add up to the same amount anyway?

epmode

This game is going to bomb. But WHAT A BOMB. Christ, I can't believe that someone actually dumped this much money into a 2D platformer. It's glorious.

I'll probably wind up getting it in spite of my policy of avoiding $60 games just because I want to give these guys all of my money.

Also, I kind of hope that Ubisoft gets hit by a truck for not releasing a PC version. My monitor is 92376294372497 times better than my television and I'd love to use my Saturn USB stick.

Trejik

The_Darkest_Red said:
Financially it may have been wiser to shorten the game up and take that route but as a consumer I'm really glad they didn't. The industry needs more robust 2D platformers sold at retail.

Also, it's apparent from the demo that this has way too much work put in to it for an XBLA/PSN release. Shadow Complex might have been a bargain at fifteen, but after some hints on the IGN Podcasts that the game is quite long and packed with content, it would be stealing from Ubisoft.

Even if the game was shorter and had half the content, it just looks and plays too well for a $15 product.

Now, $40 to $50 for it at launch...now that I can see ringing in some sales from people roaming around GameStop or GAME and the like.

Emitan

epmode said:
This game is going to bomb. But WHAT A BOMB. Christ, I can't believe that someone actually dumped this much money into a 2D platformer. It's glorious.

I'll probably wind up getting it in spite of my policy of avoiding $60 games just because I want to give these guys all of my money.

Also, I kind of hope that Ubisoft gets hit by a truck for not releasing a PC version. My monitor is 92376294372497 times better than my television and I'd love to use my Saturn USB stick.
You can still use a Saturn game pad.

Pai Pai Master said:
$50 would have been very smart. $60 is asinine, but I'll still pay because it's sure to be worth it.
What's sad to me is that it's considered inherently asinine to release a $60 2D platformer in today's market. Don't get me wrong, I totally agree with you (especially given the time at which it's releasing), it just makes me really sad.

Emitan

Don't understand all the people saying it's not worth full price. If you're not interested in the game, don't visit the thread. You don't see me saying Battlefield 3 isn't worth $60 just because I don't want it.

Billychu said:
Don't understand all the people saying it's not worth full price. If you're not interested in the game, don't visit the thread. You don't see me saying Battlefield 3 isn't worth $60 just because I don't want it.
Maybe they are interested in the game but they just don't want to pay full price for it. What's wrong with giving your opinion of something related to a game in the OT for that game?

Apdiddy

The_Darkest_Red said:
My goodness this game is strikingly good. I played through the entire demo last night with my wife and we both had a blast. She isn't much of a gamer either so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

The game reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns mixed with some Super Meat Boy mechanics (based on the video at the end) and an incredibly unique artstyle. The music was also fantastic.

I told myself I was only going to buy Zelda and possibly Super Mario 3D Land the rest of this month but this game is making that very difficult...

I'm loving this demo. The music sorta reminds me of De Blob or Loco Roco but more European or French (if that's possible).

It's going to be very hard to not want to get this.

aDDiKt24

Banned
Will buy Day 1 and so should anybody that gives a shit about the fact that Ubisoft stepped outside their 'zone' for this one and with decent sales (Im dreaming) it might send a message to other studios/publishers to invest money into different games for results.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
So it says you unlock the costume in the demo if you find all those guys

Does that mean you unlock it JUST for the demo or is it one of those' do this and it'll carry over to the full game as well' things?

Emitan

zoner said:
So it says you unlock the costume in the demo if you find all those guys

Does that mean you unlock it JUST for the demo or is it one of those' do this and it'll carry over to the full game as well' things?
I think just for the demo. The demo doesn't even save.

Game Informer gave this an 8.5 They pretty much had nothing but praise for it. The one knock they have is that you have to collect Electoons to unlock the end-game content. So you're going to have to go back and collect them if you haven't done so by the end point.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
SolidSnakex said:
Game Informer gave this an 8.5 They pretty much had nothing but praise for it. The one knock they have is that you have to collect Electoons to unlock the end-game content. So you're going to have to go back and collect them if you haven't done so by the end point.
Ah, so it's the same unlock mechanic as the original Rayman (which was hard as hell).

This is back up on Amazon and they're still offering the art book with preorder. I was going to order from Newegg and use the $20 credit I have from the Dark Souls debacle, but I really want that art book after playing the demo.

Art books are really the only preorder bonus/LE pack-in I give a shit about. Especially if they're done well.

S1kkZ

the 360 seems to have some slight stutter every few seconds (barely noticable), ps3 demo runs silky smooth for me. anyone else noticed this? my 360 always seems to do this with 60 fps games, thats why i ask.

Duallusion

Okay, I just had an eyegasm. I've been hoping for a beautiful 1080p content-packed non-just-on-nintendo platformer the whole damn gen. They will get my money for sure.

Dave Long

Banned
SolidSnakex said:
Completely awesome!
You have to unlock the end-game stuff. 8.5.

Now i want to play the 360 demo but i can't without Gold. Have to wait a week. Fuck this. You can still download most PSN demo's on day one without PS+...

andymcc

Banned
i like how the game played and looked, for the most part. i don't know why they thought it was in the best interest of selling this game to include a remedially designed STG-101 shooter stage in the demo though. that shit always irks me in platformers.

Empty

the demo was excellent. the visuals looked good on screens and videos, but it doesn't compare to the sense of wonder you get when it's on your hdtv and you're playing through the art. ancel always has this magic ability to create alluring worlds in his games and he's done it again here. the controls are smooth and the first level design was nice - hopefully the other two are there to demonstrate the variety as they weren't to my tastes as much.

i was hoping the little free the electoons challenge rooms like the angry birds homage one were going to be used to showcase great ideas like the single star comets in mario galaxy, but the others were just beat all the enemies in the room which was a shame.

Played the demo, game ran so silky smooth and controls were pretty tight too, I just wish there were more platformer levels.

Might just get this game day one, I need a platformer to play.

Tailzo

I just played some of the demo. I really loved the first level. So beautiful! I am a huge fan of 2d graphics like these.

I played single player though, so I quit during the 2nd level, shooting wasn't my cup of tea.

I will support this though. Wondering wether I should get it for ps3 or vita. Leaning towards ps3, because of true 1080p, but vitas oled screen might be better than my plasma :)

Really liked the demo. Definitely going to get this sometime soon.

However, Ubisoft games have a long history of massive price drops 1-2 months after release, so I might wait just a little bit.

.la1n

ITT: people complain about a full featured game coming on a disc is not split up into multiple episodes DLC that would probably end up costing more in the end? WTF.

Jeels

lowrider007 said:
May I ask why?, is it because it's 2D?, what makes this different from an other game you'd consider paying full price for? I don't see why this shouldn't warrant a full rrp tag tbh, you can tell from the demo the production quality and value is very high.

People say 1$ dollar iphone games are hurting the perceived value of big full price games but I'd argue that for the enthusiast market xbla and psn titles are having a more negative effect on peoples value perception of full rrp games, there seems to be a growing audience that believes unless a game is a massive cinematic experience with explosions it should on the xbla/psn shelf for 15 bucks.

I would be more likely to buy something like this in cheaper chunks (even if in the end it ends up being more expensive, which is usually what the episodic model does). It's a completely psychological thing.

sakipon

.la1n said:
ITT: people complain about a full featured game coming on a disc is not split up into multiple episodes DLC that would probably end up costing more in the end? WTF.
I'm not wondering that one bit. People love layaways and monthly payment plans and shit, whatever it takes to save you from paying a large amount of money at once.

Top Bottom