• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rayman Origins |OT| The Rebirth

Rarutos

This game is soooo pretty. I'm a sucker for sprite based/2D games too... The fact that preordering from Amazon gives you a hardcover artbooks makes it all the more alluring. Aaah, I need money for this!

Levyne

Banned
I will play this eventually. Once I somehow figure out how to afford and find time to pay for and play everything else that's out or coming out.

Dr.Hadji

I always find SHUMP levels in non-SHUMPs to be pretty lacking. Jade Empire, Viewtiful Joe and this game is no exception.

Alright collected what you can in the demo. Game is beautiful, one of those games you can show off a new TV with. So sharp and colorful.

Controls are very simple, shoulder buttons run, and one face button each for jumping and attacking. Its not the easiest game to pick up and start dashing around though, very easy to throw yourself in a pit if you are moving too fast. Looks like pits always kill you and you can never take more than 2 hits from enemies (and thats only if you have an extra heart following you around). If you die you are sent to beginning of the area (last door you passed through). Several small hidden areas are hidden in the first level leading to separate challenges where the goal is to clear out enemies.

Enjoyed it and will try to pick it up ASAP.

I have two small annoyances. First is the way wall jumps work. If its a nice small corridor thats designed for wall jumping it works great, but outside of that it can feel useless because you jump so far away from the wall that they cannot be chained upward, maybe I'm just used to Super Meat Boys continuous wall jumps. The other is the stop in speed when you attack mid-air, when you are on the ground you do a sliding spin that keeps you moving but in the air its a dead stop.
Billychu said:
Is no one else doing the time trial? Tomorrow I'm going to try to break 00:50
I only tried it once but finished in 0:49.
Billychu said:
I really don't like how his attack seems to randomly decide between the one that keeps your momentum and the punch that cancels movement.
I don't think its random, I think its how close to the enemy you decide to attack (for the slidding vs punch at least). You probably have to be going max speed to slide too, so you can't chain them (or at least I don't think you can, just closed the demo).

Emitan

I really don't like how his attack seems to randomly decide between the one that keeps your momentum and the punch that cancels movement.

man, the music in this is INSANE!!!!!!!
and this is coming from someone who doesn't really pay too much attention to music in videogames...

and yes, I died like 50 times in the last level...

Cheska

Gosh, this is one of the most colorful games being released. It's bummer it's local co-op only, I would love to hop on and play with some of you.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Incredible looking! One of the finest looking games I've ever seen. Beautiful 1080p 60 fps 2D graphics with amazing animation. The awesome gameplay helps too. :)

I can't imagine anyone buying this on the Wii unless that was their only option, though. I mean, it'll still be an awesome game on the Wii, but man, this art just has to be seen in high resolution. Really incredible work!

Emitan

dark10x said:
Incredible looking! One of the finest looking games I've ever seen. Beautiful 1080p 60 fps 2D graphics with amazing animation. The awesome gameplay helps too. :)

I can't imagine anyone buying this on the Wii unless that was their only option, though. I mean, it'll still be an awesome game on the Wii, but man, this art just has to be seen in high resolution. Really incredible work!
I might just because I like the Wii remote for platformers.

EDIT: 00:39! There's one place where I can definitely shave off a second and another where I'm not so sure.

I think 00:37 is possible but I'm not sure how much lower it can get with the knowledge of the mechanics I have now.

Rayman Origins is made with L.O.V.E. Graphics are amazing and it's really fun to play!!

The art style is one of the best i have seen in a 2D game! Must have!

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Billychu said:
How so? The only frustration I had was speed running the level multiple times and getting no time recorded and thinking that I wasn't beating 50 seconds so it wasn't recording it. Once I figured it out I got the trophy on my first try.
Couple of reasons:
* If you die after starting the time trial, you need to run out and hit the timer again to restart the time trial.
* If you proceed in the level, kill some stuff and then start the time trial. The stuff you killed is still gone. Seems weird to me that the entire level isn't reset.

I was able to get everything in the demo, including all the extra trophies. I don't see this being a time attack type of game, the movement seem just a bit loose to me. I had trouble feeling like I had full control over rayman, especially if I attacked while running.

In terms of the graphics, there are a few glitches (noticed a few things objects pop out of existence near the sides of the screen), but the attention to detail is great. In the first level all the platforms that spawn a bubble have tiny bubbles coming up from them. When you spawn the last bubble item, the tiny bubbles stop.

omgkitty

Man I forgot this was a Rayman game. I have never liked the feel of Rayman games, and the platforming just doesn't seem like a lot of fun to me. Too bad because this game looked cool. Pretty much not my thing I guess.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Wow. This game looks awesome in stills, but seeing it in motion, right in front of me is something else. It's so rich with color and the animation is fantastic.

Glad to see 1P can choose characters, I'm rocking Globox.

D

Deleted member 8095

Unconfirmed Member
Oh. My. God. Just played the demo and it totally felt like I was 8 years old playing video games with my brother. Holy shit, must buy this game!

daffy

Banned
Wow this is amazing. So I My roommate kept blowing up and racing towards me to revive and throwed me off, I wish it would just keep them dead when there is a chase. Other than that this game rules! :D Will buy ASAP

We played as the two little monk dudes, shit was cray.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
The demo was over way too soon. The engine is blowing my mind. You can really see the difference of the in-game assets being entirely hand-drawn, instead of just covered cell shading or whatever. It almost looks real, like a diorama.

It's hard to talk about anything other than the visuals, but it controls like a dream too. It's smooth and responsive, and I like going nuts with sliding and sprinting.

This gon' be good. Next Tuesday needs to hurry up.

edit - Oh yeah, and Globox is a pimp. His animations are the shit.

Tizoc

Wicked demo, but I kept dieing in the 3rd stage XD.
Gonna go lurk the shops and see if it's out over here X3

wouwie

Played the first level and a bit of the 2nd level late last night. Enjoyed it a lot. Going to pre-order tonight.

Game looks beautiful, has very nice music and sound effects and fun gameplay. One thing i noticed though, is that it takes a bit of time in between doing things. If i wanted to slap two times very quickly, then the 2nd button push didn't always register. It's as if the big amount of animations is making it react a bit slower than i would expect (game needs to wait until animation is over). I didn't have the same problem when playing with the small characters which had a lot less animation going on. I guess it takes a bit of getting used to.

Ugh! I hate these controls, they're so slippery! It's so easy to get stuck to objects, especially in the 3rd level when you're running away from that worm.

Also, the d-pad controls stink (PS3), the game is clearly designed around an analog stick (the swimming controls are fully analog and nigh on impossible to control properly with a d-pad)

That being said, I'm actually quite impressed with the level design. It's no NSMB or DKCR but it's not bad at all. I just wish the controls were tighter.

Also the hit detection sucks. So many times I was trying to run away from the worm and got hit by nothing, there are times when I was clearly hit by an enemy and it didn't register and jumping on enemies is a chore since half the time it doesn't seem to register either. Also, there are rocks in the swimming level that are clearly meant to be in front of you that you can walk right through as well as invisible collision walls around the first area of the swimming levels that let you slide down nothing. Kinda shoddy.

Of course it looks drop dead gorgeous, the level design is very good and the music is great. Overall, it seems that there's a great game hidden underneath those sloppy controls and odd hitches.

Tizoc

Woah this game's gonna have 60+ stages?!
EU is getting the demo today as well, so those that didn't get it off US PSN, get hype!

Suzzopher

Demo has sold me on this 100% I was going to wait until the Vita version arrives, but I think I shall grab the PS3 one on launch day.

Tizoc said:
Wicked demo, but I kept dieing in the 3rd stage XD.
Gonna go lurk the shops and see if it's out over here X3
Lolplolol you died at the 3rd stage. Is there a hidden joke i miss or why did you use that horrible emoticon

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Billychu said:
I might just because I like the Wii remote for platformers.

EDIT: 00:39! There's one place where I can definitely shave off a second and another where I'm not so sure.

I think 00:37 is possible but I'm not sure how much lower it can get with the knowledge of the mechanics I have now.
I don't think the Wii-mote will be a good solution for this game. If you hold it sideways, you'll have to use the B button for running (which is in an awful location for sideways play) and be stuck with the d-pad exclusively (which is fine for the most part, but that underwater section is clearly better with analog).

If it's Wii-mote + nunchuck then, well, I'd be surprised as that is a terrible setup for 2D platformers.

Is your love for the controller really that high that you'd sacrifice the art work they've created for this game? I just find that hard to believe.

BadWolf

Tried it and its very pretty and sounds great but the gameplay didn't click for me very much.

I'd kill for a POP 2008 followup in this style though.

Alpha_eX

Move over Zelda, this is my Christmas day game! So glad there is a local co-op option, nothing beats being around the people you're playing the game with.

Last time we did a 4 player co-op session it was with NSMB Wii fueld by shots and beer, by the end we were so drunk the last boss took us over half an hour. An awesome night, hoping for the same with this.

DonMigs85

Enjoyed the demo, but the graphics/animation do look a bit Flash-y.
I miss the days when every individual sprite was handmade. Neo Geo was amazing.

My goodness this game is strikingly good. I played through the entire demo last night with my wife and we both had a blast. She isn't much of a gamer either so it was a pleasant surprise for me.

The game reminds me of Donkey Kong Country Returns mixed with some Super Meat Boy mechanics (based on the video at the end) and an incredibly unique artstyle. The music was also fantastic.

I told myself I was only going to buy Zelda and possibly Super Mario 3D Land the rest of this month but this game is making that very difficult...

Top Bottom