• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 pass 100k registered PSVR players, Capcom to focus more on VR

Wollan

Izb1xGz2ItXh8NP6uQ6yFFWhWOrnCO1jVaEpZ4IVcKpoRDqi1gcJ3ZQZbioY72KqGLoGacQV12JZLxrQAlWNw5J8B5tQV5hH61nZPBnp1zfBWH6e0eKO9FxBT6nYx1ytqQV_d4VwGYXTyFu6RkIDKNpBsQlYLHaG3DuSV1aolEMa0okWXYPTRynfhSw9qg5clIcS9108fxFazd3K-RvW8AocVgfwGNksJLiTDObvCDT6SnB6gRr3-0X2YWE7J1wjd-_z0rx7IJFFdRe9ZQrtiMs13CpvtR-9Flrz8An9PnePT_sG6dfA6bKakCEQxCqRY-T3AKm9OKKsNJS8XgfMAmvAynlC3y9TuT1i6N89odSrZ1FnT-xh_lJbnRTpjUjx5lnXzWAek0wdEnmm8UsRYu26zN64hCTzI465WffSUjmT5Ymni3bmMecq9pmmb1aRv02iyPg96WBGXtwtbffYmCAyiMrqDtk28rQgoYgEjnKJy7WWMbnJVpz4ke0q6rlacp9wHRJ2ff9ZXbxV1gZAJuNauFQln3OaTODfEFjTzCp388hns2UjCqyz7sId5AKGev3m5t3LEwsSTpXuYFH_MENk_z2LEs_VgRH479mV-rZx9N0YwRJjMf5E3BJokxADWInLEN-QuGUC5yptDolPuZ8St1DKCB4uGXhwPoUiGdY=w1096-h452-no

Amount of registered Resident Evil 7 Virtual Reality players (exclusive to PSVR until 2018) has surpassed 100 000 users. That's merely sourced from players whom have manually opted-in to be part of global statistics (option presented if online during install and requires you to create a RE.net account). The percentage has stayed stable at above 9% of player base since near launch. Here's the numbers from a week ago.

Capcom have shipped over 2.5 million copies so far and aiming for 4 million copies shipped by March 31st. With sell-in & near future prognosis (and great word of mouth for the VR mode) it seems likely that we're actually looking at around twice that number of PSVR players currently.

With that in mind, Capcom has now said it will focus more on VR content going forward:
...with the goal of creating a new market, and has undergone some reorganisation internally to better fit the transition. The company is confident in the move thanks to the ”successive releases of VR devices that are highly compatible with games."

Resident Evil 7 in VR is mindblowing. First AAA title for the medium. I really can't foresee anything this year surpassing the experience I'm having playing through this first time in VR. It's terrifying, all-consuming and super fun.

**UPDATE February 9th (16 days on market):
k55bAiI6-S61ryRXgcVXlPnXADWLhKhPpQr1IMsW2PWDvfPmfVk7GpGsRo0_6u2PFLZKI1YB4a0Ndtio5OfZFkHUIROfEkLd4aNV6KPt-4WI5RqrZy5ubPcWHAW5U7Y0ND13jgSk0ybQFK6MJ1Nv0rPATL1A0bAKnos1HcyC-3-3d-zNYVaK5_mc1X7ybDZHawie-56VYxXWBeyzksskAKYkhy_m1mrrIEeWAPwrk3FuOnvsHS8Kf4rEWI2FjoaDjXp6LPPOVTTDga_dDpj7DXqzS1EBnQkclNANOHihmBBvMNB7VBopOcXNbLxcHrWfMnTDdUyz_g8FuCmoZhBBFr448mFrBz4h-6lKgP2hiUvIT-5Jxe90usfBUUFcJMqN5bBjbzYZo7RpW2JWAt0_bSU7u45sFatRDEXTrVgn10sKowGb49gHowjdzkv4fXBHXr8JtcP9JTDvMzLl4lAFkotevNsKVZqMLxU_iI9w3dJ9_s_rh6GwoNEeZYqCWLbgH59Y2ZJ0GV5-_jHtsTkQCNogbU8plC2DLNFSnx1lFuds5clJ0L_Kpcqk-HQqYR7K-kA3qnpbNXkqdLtbpScF_Hr1zjwrGJ2QvYmnXzDXCDc1Z0eWm0xrNNw5_2IUZotYfPOR3JobWF2bd7Jt0BwKbpRLeIwgwn64LbJHfq3NndA=w1060-h456-no

The Goat

I can't say enough good things about it. Capcom really did nail it with their VR integration. Never experienced anything like it before. Hope to see a lot of devs follow suit.

If you take into account that there are XB1 and PC players mixed in there, PSVR accounts for more than 10% of RE7 players. Good numbers all in all.

Also confirms that PSVR sold more than 100K :p

Tried playing without VR and it just does not feel the same! Hopefully this will indicate to both Sony and Capcom that there is money in full VR titles.

TannerDemoz

My first experience of VR and I absolutely loved it

I've dropped my ps4 pad twice thinking I could rest it on in-game tables

Piers

Great to hear.
Saying that I'm not sure what could benefit VR more than Resident Evil. VR hit so many high notes that only that kind of genre could allow it to.

Was so close to getting a psvr but decided on going for the switch in the end. Kind of sucks i won't be able to play this, sounds awesome.

Freeman76

Was so close to getting a psvr but decided on going for the switch in the end. Kind of sucks i won't be able to play this, sounds awesome.

I did the opposite and couldnt be happier. It was one or the other and after playing RE7 I knew i did the right thing.

It's still stalled on 999,994 users; it's a safe assumption that it's already passed the milestone, but the stats haven't updated yet.

Great news for Capcom, Sony and VR in general. Good work everyone involved.

Oxn

I have a pavr but i just cant do it. Tried the demo and i was too frightened to even move.

So i just played it on my computer like a coward.

If only VR wasn't so expensive. I've only ever been able to experience it at a friends house so I never got extended time on Resident Evil with it :/ £199 for the headset and camera and I'd buy it tomorrow.

orioto

Good Art™
Give me a monster hunter museum VR experience. I want to see just how big Caduceus is in water.

mh3-118.jpg

Museum vr experiences are awesome and really easy way for devs to create a vr dedicated content. That should be encouraged. One for FFXV would be great.

As for RE i'm hesitant to buy it cause the demo was bad for me. Numbers of really bad things for VR like non interaction with the environment, but especially camera position rebooting in first person, which is a NOPE in vr.. Is it like that in the full game to ?

I want all devs out there to take notice and follow Capcom's lead. This is how you do VR, not a short experience, a full fledged game designed from the ground up designed to work with and without VR.

I'm waiting for Ace Combat 7 and GT Sport next although those two said they won't make their games entirely playable in VR they should still be awesome regardless.

JordanN

Banned
Sony ought to do what Nintendo did with Gamecube and have their own "Capcom 5". Pay Capcom to make 5 exclusive VR games.

Capcom is hungry for cash in exchange for game development so you know they'll accept it.

Piichan

Banned
RE7 in VR is fantastic, so I'm happy it's catching on, and Capcom is looking into further supporting VR.

I really hope more developers will look into VR support for games with longer campaigns. There's still too much VR games that are shorter showcases, "toys", or an extra mode added as an afterthought.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
That's very impressive, especially when you consider this only tracks people who go out of their way to have a ResidentEvil.net account and link RE7 with their RE.Net profile. While I do that (lol), I figure most people don't especially as for RE7 it really only benefits players interested in stat tracking (though it gives a very interesting breakdown of your personal stats and global stats on their website, which is interesting to see), so the actual number is probably much higher.

Which I guess makes sense, RE7 is as of this moment basically PSVR's killer app, AND maybe one of the best VR games yet. There is room for improvement of course, but it's one of the first big and well done games in that space.

Wollan

If that superdata numbers aren't complete shit. That means 1 out of 7 PSVR owners played RE7
1 out of 3.75 PSVR owners (if Superdata is to be given value), i.e ~200 000 PSVR players not-unlikely currently, with 9% of player base applied to likely sell-in numbers (shipped has surpassed 2.5m, aiming for 4m by end of March). Considering manual opt-in process.

Resident Evil 7:

Saved the series

Saved the VR

Well it didn't really SAVE either one, but it definitely breathes much needed life into both. After RE6 and some of the spin-offs lately not named Revelations, it needed a hit. VR remains interesting but nothing 'traditional' has really hit its stride on any of the platforms, and RE7 seems to knock it out of the park.

Dominator

I haven't played yet but I plan on playing in VR as well. Gonna dive in tomorrow night when I finally have some free time.

Does a prompt pop up asking you to opt in-out? And is in or out automatically highlighted? I haven't played the game yet.

Regardless, 1 in 10 is impressive. That's a huge thing for the future of PS VR and VR in general.

I'm still waiting for Sony to make more psvr so I can buy one. I want my first playthrough to be in VR.

Available now (VR Worlds bundle)

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr-worlds-bundle/142061

or available to preorder for 2/21 (Until Dawn bundle)

http://www.gamestop.com/ps4/accessories/playstation-vr-until-dawn-bundle-only-at-gamestop/141900

If you are interested in both games it works out to be cheaper in the end if you go with the VR Worlds bundle.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Does a prompt pop up asking you to opt in-out? And is in or out automatically highlighted? I haven't played the game yet.

Regardless, 1 in 10 is impressive. That's a huge thing for the future of PS VR and VR in general.

When the game launches for the first time and if you're online it asks if you want to connect RE7 to your RE.net profile... Well, it did for me but that's because I had already linked my Steam/PSN account to RE.net, maybe if it doesn't sense you have an account it asks if you want to create one, but it never asks again outside of that (though you can access it any time from one of the main menu options, under "More").

Taking into account people who launch the game offline the first time won't see this message, and people can easily decline (and I figure most people who don't have accounts probably would just say no as they don't want to take the time to create an account and just want to play the game), it's pretty impressive. I'm actually simply surprised over a million people connected to RE.net and beat the prologue (the "Welcome to the Family" stat only tracks people who beat the prologue chapter of RE7 who were connected to RE.net).

RE7 is great, even greater in VR, but it absofuckinglutely isn't the only great PSVR game.

I don't think anyone is saying it's the only good game for PSVR, just it's currently the greatest game for PSVR.

Wow, those seem like pretty incredible numbers. 10% of players of a hit AAA game are using a new, quite expensive peripheral without mainstream market acceptance yet. Don't have a VR set myself but with my budget and current setup, the PSVR is looking like the best option for when/if I want to jump in. Finished RE7 sans VR yesterday, it was really strong. Shouts out to Capcom for taking risks and trying to move the genre forward.

Top Bottom