• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 pass 100k registered PSVR players, Capcom to focus more on VR

I wish it didn't make me motion sick. It's been great when I played it. Maybe I'll mess with the settings more.

Also, I didn't register so PSVR++ to that number.

kyser73

How did they manage to get rid of all the locomotion sickness? I thought everyone was calling it unplayable during the demo?

They added a ton of comfort customisation options. I haven't played it (too much of a scaredy cat!) but as I understand it, the options cover off everyone from people who get sim sick quickly to those with the hardiest of inner ears who can just move with a controller with no issues.

Tain

YES. I'm really happy to hear that. Best VR game since Chronos.

Drooling over the thought of more decently-budgeted VR titles, and on PC as well. Capcom prospects are way more exciting than Zenimax stuff.

Would Steel Battalion work with only a controller + vr?

Not 1:1 but it would be far, far closer to the original with VR than without, at least.

Chabbles

PN8ggni.png

First of all I didn't even know the pool table was interactive. Second of all what the hell Capcom? lmao what a weird thing to track.

Resident_Evil_7_01_25_2017_05_59_29_04.png

Is it this table ? It'd be cool if they had a full mini game in there on a proper table, multiplayer, stop for a bit of stress relief.

Tain

Im wondering this too. Im assuming movement speed plays the same way it does in non VR mode too which would be really impressive?

Tons of options, defaulting to safest. Notched rotation with the right stick, an FOV that shrinks the faster you move, and a walk speed that you can cap (doesn't affect run).

I keep everything at default except for disabling FOV reduction, and it's plenty comfortable for very long sessions for me.

KalBalboa

Banned
Mentioned this in the RE7 OT:

I realized tonight in VR that I could rotate objects by turning the dualshock 4 about in my hands.

Put a grin on my face. This game reminds me of the original Resident Evil on some sort of magic steroid.

ChouGoku

Im wondering this too. Im assuming movement speed plays the same way it does in non VR mode too which would be really impressive?

Non VR mode has more weight to the controls. To me VR seems like it has tighter controls and there isn't as much momentum in every one of his movement. Especially aiming which is done with headtracking

FingerBang

Oh yea completely, it needs to have additional control functionality which is why I don't like the move being the controller. Need to have an analog or track pad like the Vive or Oculus controllers have.

Absolutely. Camera and move are by far the weakest part of the experience. Not as bad as some people say, but not comparable to what the competition is offering. Hope they'll do something about it before the PSVR2.

How did they manage to get rid of all the locomotion sickness? I thought everyone was calling it unplayable during the demo?

That's a great question. It's the first game I can go on for hours without feeling sick, at all.
Probably a mix of high/stable framerate and a good knowledge of what causes motion sickness in general (the screen gets dark at the edge every time you move your head around/run, you can choose to turn left and right by 30/45/90 degrees instead of smooth movements and so on).

Resident Evil 7 made me finally think it was worth buying a PSVR.

zoukka

What, no. The demo was already great in comfort level and the full game is even better. It's a combination of many things like the instant rotation option, FOV limiter, "blackouts" when your character moves quickly in cut-scenes and so on.

Freeman76

Its so great to see a game with such a positive community, I have hardly read a bad word about this, which, especially for GAF, is unheard of. Perhaps its because its mainly hardcore fans or older gamers with the finances to buy a VR, and not every idiot with a PS4 who are playing it,but I like to think its because the experience just amazes anyone who plays it.

Miracle

That's awesome to hear!

Hopefully this game becomes the catalyst to more great VR games.
especially ones that don't make me shit my pants.

Hoo-doo

Banned
That's awesome to hear!

Hopefully this game becomes the catalyst to more great VR games.
especially ones that don't make me shit my pants.

I'd love to see games like Detroit: Too Human adopt PSVR.

VR just seems amazing for story-driven games where you have to explore and investigate stuff.

Vinter

Lets hope this leads to more great horror in VR. Personally I much preferred the better IQ of non-vr version but I am really interested in the VR as a whole, so anything pushes that industry forward is great.

Castef

Banned
Ironically, the PSVR exclusivity is hurting the very same media RE7 could help pushing. Quite ridicolous.

Lucent

They did an amazing job with it. I just hope psvr wasn't brought out to be launched and forgot about like their handhelds. I love horror games and VR really enhances the immersion.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
One thing I've noticed with RE7 is the bad sense of scale in VR. Everything looks tiny. Human characters are much smaller than what they should be an you feel like a giant within the environment. It's subtle at times but everything feels just a bit odd. I've encountered this in other VR experiences and it's not easy to get right, it seems.

Illucio

Banned
Damm this makes me happy. I still haven't got a chance to pick up the game yet to play on my PSVR. Super excited.

pswii60

I'll jump in on PSVR whenever they upgrade it so the camera is no longer required, and they make it fully wireless and rechargeable. So next gen maybe.

But this is good news as it indicates there could be a next gen at all.

crimilde

Banned
I'll contribute to that number too! Gifted a copy to a friend this month for his birthday and I'll start my playthrough this weekend too. Gaf convinced me to try it in VR.

Wollan

I'll jump in on PSVR whenever they upgrade it so the camera is no longer required, and they make it fully wireless and rechargeable. So next gen maybe.
I'm suspecting Resident Evil 7 will be brought out again and again in updated form every time the VR industry makes a technical leap.

KyleCross

But this is good news as it indicates there could be a next gen at all.
Isn't a camera required in order to determine depth?

Piichan

Banned
One thing I've noticed with RE7 is the bad sense of scale in VR. Everything looks tiny. Human characters are much smaller than what they should be an you feel like a giant within the environment. It's subtle at times but everything feels just a bit odd. I've encountered this in other VR experiences and it's not easy to get right, it seems.

Maybe it's because I played through Batman Arkham Origins right before RE7, but everything looked right to me lol.

This was a problem in Kitchen but not in the final game: try change the interpupillar distance and remember that the protagonist my be taller or shorter than you

Ellite25

RE7 showed me what VR can really be. I haven't finished yet but from what I've played so far it's an amazing experience. Hoping more devs with staff making their games playable in VR if it fits.

Planet

One thing I've noticed with RE7 is the bad sense of scale in VR.
Yes, but they improved it a bit from the kitchen demo - it felt weird and removed much of the scaryness for me to interact with an underfed hobbit. But it isn't consistantly bad, e.g. the Bakers seem to be alright while especially Mia is way too tiny.

And other stuff is off, too, like shoving the phone receiver directly into your skull even when perfectly calibrated, you have to lean far away or plain ignore it not to get irritated. And if anything I feel smaller than in real life, can't look into boxes higher in shelves etc., but that may be because I am playing seated, also I am 1.95m in real life and I figure Ethan isn't. ;)

majik13

I think ive noticed that spatial tracking is scaled back with RE7, meaning its not 1:1, but like 1:2, where your head movements only move half as far in game compared to real life, but rotational gyro tracking is 1:1. I actually think its a sort of smart move. But I could see how that might mess with perception of scale. Or could be other things, or maybe you postion wasnt recentered.

Anyways I didnt have much issue with scale personally, seems right to me

Man as someone who has used PSVR only 2x, and that was back before it was even out officially, I'm so nervous that when I pick one up and play something like this it will make me sick.

Its like I want to experience RE7 in VR so badly but am just worried I won't be able to truly experience it. Would be a damn shame

Alienous

I don't think anyone is saying it's the only good game for PSVR, just it's currently the greatest game for PSVR.

I'll give it most complete. I'll even give it best game playable in PSVR. But 'greatest game for PSVR', when it passively uses VR functionality, seems like too much of an accolade. It's a good game with PSVR support, but there are better representatives of PSVR on the platform.

Alienfan

This might be the first AAA VR game that isn't an experience or extremely short - if VR does become a success, RE7 will most likely been remembered as the game that paved the way.

Top Bottom