• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 pass 100k registered PSVR players, Capcom to focus more on VR

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They should focus on giving Sony their money back so they can sell another 500k+ copies on Steam.

It's honestly pretty ridiculous that it's even listed as a VR title on Steam. It's #1 too, even though there's no VR. Basically false advertisement.

The exclusivity term last for a year, so the VR might come to Steam after the period ends (perhaps Capcom has already decided to do so and hence do the prep work now rather than later, and then all they have to do later is just flip a switch)

majik13

well, they deserve it, great VR game.

While playing it, it makes me want an R6 Siege VR game, I think that game is slow enough to possibly work in VR somehow.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Dino Crisis VR. Go on, think about it.

tumblr_o73b3qFXXN1tao31jo1_500.gif

I completed it in VR and never signed up to RE.NET, Neither did my bro so i'd assume the number is actually higher!

Great experience in VR, Best gaming fun i have had for many a year.

Stillmatic

I feel a little bad for people not playing this first in VR. RE7 on a standard TV would of course still be great, but in VR you are in that house. It's truly awesome and adds so much more to the game.

Edit: Don't think I've signed up to RE.NET either.

FingerBang

I didn't like the VR much tbh. Even on Pro... the IQ hit was really bad, and the sense of presence was continually undermined by wonky scale. Other humans seemed undersized, small toy-like models. It was odd. It also breaks a lot with weird floating arms and other clipping issues.

The impact on IQ though is very significant. Think folks are really downplaying how much, because of the vr novelty.

Yes, you are right but... but after a couple hours I stopped giving a crap. The game is just MUCH better played that way. The fact that I can peek around the corners and look around the house in first person + 3D makes exploring the place a different experience.

Owari

The exclusivity term last for a year, so the VR might come to Steam after the period ends (perhaps Capcom has already decided to do so and hence do the prep work now rather than later, and then all they have to do later is just flip a switch)

But until then it's a non-VR game at the top of the Steam VR charts. Effectively lying to the masses who have no idea Capcom pulled a Capcom and sold their shit out to the highest bidder.

I'm sure the only reason they haven't fixed it is because "why would we do that, we're making tons of money off these suckers."

I almost bought the game and now I'm really happy I researched it first. There's no way it'll be $60 in a year, and I'm not trying to play it twice when VR is clearly the best way to experience it.

What a mess.

majik13

I completed it in VR and never signed up to RE.NET, Neither did my bro so i'd assume the number is actually higher!

Great experience in VR, Best gaming fun i have had for many a year.

well yes both numbers would definitely be higher since not every player signed up, both VR and Standard. But the percentage of VR users should mostly be accurate.

tesqui

PN8ggni.png

First of all I didn't even know the pool table was interactive. Second of all what the hell Capcom? lmao what a weird thing to track.

It's noteworthy how late in the development process the VR design aspects (beyond hitting the performance goal) have seemingly been implemented. At last years E3 they basically just had a normal FPS with VR hmd support applied, complete nausea town.

The final game however smartly defaults to very comfortable controls which is slow walking speed & 30degree angled turns mixed with the player actually walking in the direction that is being viewed. 180 degree instant turn and sprinting. Also a FOV filter that cradually creates artificial tunnel vision according to the amount of motion. Beyond this there's also heaps of specific options.
Cut-scenes are being showed as a large cinema screen in front of you, in-game scripted events strobe like a heartbeat (hiding the extreme motions with darkness).
You can gradually open doors and lean forward to peak out... you aim with your view... 3D audio... The game feels great to play.

I just don't feel good about view aiming, I never have. Maybe with something like eye tracking, I have a Tobi eye 4c for a few days and that aspect was interesting. But I'd much much rather have motion controls. In the future hopefully.

tusken77

So pleased Resident Evil succeeded incredibly well in VR and enjoyed a fantastic reception. Hopefully other companies have noticed. Dead Space VR needs to be a thing.

FingerBang

I just don't feel good about view aiming, I never have. Maybe with something like eye tracking, I have a Tobi eye 4c for a few days and that aspect was interesting. But I'd much much rather have motion controls. In the future hopefully.

Let's be honest, you can't do that only with a move. Sony NEEDS to come up with new, better tech for the PSVR.
A new, better camera and a move 2 with better tracking and analog sticks.

...or, you know, I still have a navigation controller.

Jawmuncher

Dino Crisis VR. Go on, think about it.

tumblr_o73b3qFXXN1tao31jo1_500.gif

This is basically what I want. Take the RE7 approach; first-person, horror-focus, and reintroduce Dino Crisis. It just makes too much sense to me.

If RE7 was still action I'd be down for this. But now if they bring DC back as a horror title. Once again it'll be stuck in RE's shadow. Something I've really been wanting the series to get out of.

Spoo

If RE7 was still action I'd be down for this. But now if they bring RE back as a horror title. Once again it'll be stuck in RE's shadow. Something I've really been wanting the series to get out of.

Overshadowed is probably better than non-existent, but actually, do you think a Dino Crisis could work without guns -- like, actually, truly in the vein of Outlast/Alien:Isolation -- and differentiate itself that way from RE7-style which still includes heavy utilization of weapons with a backend that is decidedly more action-oriented anyway?

Jawmuncher

Overshadowed is probably better than non-existent, but actually, do you think a Dino Crisis could work without guns -- like, actually, truly in the vein of Outlast/Alien:Isolation -- and differentiate itself that way from RE7-style which still includes heavy utilization of weapons with a backend that is decidedly more action-oriented anyway?

It could. While hardcore fans like myself would find it a bit odd. The series has been silent for so long, that so long as it's not set in space. They could get away with a lot. Much like you said at the end of it all. Better to be in a shadow then not exist at all.

I honestly feel like RE7 is one of the best games of the last few years and wil he remembered as a classic and as a milestone in the history of VR gaming.

My respect for Capcom has skyrocketed tbh.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
PSVR has sold more than people think. Probably pretty close to the first million at this point. My incredible time with PSVR so far feels a lot like the first couple of years with the Playstation 1. With RE7 being such a great game and full of RE1 vibes, that goes double.

Megaman Legends VR would be pretty welcome, Capcom ;)

Man, I would literally kill for a Gyakuten Saiban VR.

holy-sht.gif

How would that work though? I can already think of a VR experience where your standing in a witness chair getting defended by Phoenix or questioned by Edgeworth.
But as game, the only cool thing would be to play as Phoenix in VR I guess.

zoukka

Museum vr experiences are awesome and really easy way for devs to create a vr dedicated content. That should be encouraged. One for FFXV would be great.

As for RE i'm hesitant to buy it cause the demo was bad for me. Numbers of really bad things for VR like non interaction with the environment, but especially camera position rebooting in first person, which is a NOPE in vr.. Is it like that in the full game to ?

Dude you have PSVR but are hesitant to buy the only real AAA game for it, come on son.

Subxero

Thise are solid numbers. Especially considering how many people won't take the time to register.

I'm planning on playing in VR. I won't get to pick up the game for a week or two.

kpaadet

Tech demos are fun and all but it's "full" games like RE7 that will push me to get a VR headset at some point. So I'm glad to see Capcom embracing VR like this.

Let's be honest, you can't do that only with a move. Sony NEEDS to come up with new, better tech for the PSVR.
A new, better camera and a move 2 with better tracking and analog sticks.

...or, you know, I still have a navigation controller.

Oh yea completely, it needs to have additional control functionality which is why I don't like the move being the controller. Need to have an analog or track pad like the Vive or Oculus controllers have.

Game is scary as shit in VR, and I had to turn off all that kid glove bullshit that disorients me more than anything when it's trying to do the opposite, but once I could turn naturally and the field of view didn't shrink like an iris every time I turned, it has been an amazing experience.

Top Bottom