• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RE7 pass 100k registered PSVR players, Capcom to focus more on VR

Raonak

Banned
RE7 VR is awesome, it adds so much to the game, to the point I don't think i'd ever play it normally.

Being completely immersed in the environment is just too good. It adds to the experience as well, stuff like naturally leaning your head out of doorways to see if theres anything there feels so intuitive.
In addition to the 360 degree sound, which is actually super helpful for getting a feel of where the enemies are.

It's definitely the best VR game. and it shows that VR doesn't just have to be short games. You can easily have a 10 hour long game in VR. That's one of the best parts of it. It feels like a legitimately good game without VR, and an amazing game with VR.

Still don't understand why they made it a year exclusive. There was practically no benefit at all to Sony. Sony isn't in a place to meet demand with the game hype at high levels, and Capcom I'm sure just got a nice chunk of change in exchange for the exclusivity. Which means Sony was just double out for that round and hurt the overall VR sales adoption and performance.

I guess the whole point was to try and stymie external VR adoption as a result of the game while they get production scaling up.

Glad that Capcom came away with a positive conclusion though. I just don't want to see them do exclusivity agreements every time from here on out.

Kodiak

Not an asshole.
It's a killer app for me and a buddy of mine. We both wanna buy PSVR, it's just a matter of funds for us. Right now I'm allocating my money for Switch, but PSVR really seems like the best entry point in terms of cost / quality.

...sure about that? :}

It's the first full on AAA game in VR. That definitely counts for something.
Rez Infinite, Thumper, Until Dawn Rush of Blood, SuperHyperCube, Batman Arkham VR, Proton Pulse and Holoball are some of my other favorites.

GJ VR community
3AQmK.gif

I didn't care about VR but RE7 is seriously making me reconsider it. Hopefully all their future VR implementations are like well thought out like RE7 and not half assed.

Nzyme32

That's awesome. Looking forward to playing it - next year haha. Registered players though; give me concurrent damn it.

Trying to avoid my urge to buy the game with the intention of playing it fresh in VR (hopefully with the ability to crawl and cower in a corner) when it eventually reaches PC. Really happy to see the game is apparently well received. Seems much like the game I always wanted it to be rather than the more recent RE games

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Well Capcom actually made a game instead of an experience or watered down game.
If devs continue making a game first there will be more great games in the future for VR, as for Capcom.
VR or FP worked with RE7 due to the experience it portrays, a random person in a situation Star would easily handle after RE1 and being an unrelated "Tokyo Dift" of Resident Evils, which I'm sure plays a big part in the future titles
be interesting how they tackle a core Resident Evil game with returning characters and threats like Hunters.
Looking forward to their work.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I didn't like the VR much tbh. Even on Pro... the IQ hit was really bad, and the sense of presence was continually undermined by wonky scale. Other humans seemed undersized, small toy-like models. It was odd. It also breaks a lot with weird floating arms and other clipping issues.

The impact on IQ though is very significant. Think folks are really downplaying how much, because of the vr novelty.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
I am going to throw out there that I think while RE7 in general is a good game (I'd even say great personally), I think the biggest effect it'll have is on the VR scene. I think RE7 did a good job at making serious leaps and bounds for comfort for extended VR games, as well as figuring out solutions for implementation in games that can be played in VR or not, and taking risks and challenges for its implementation.

I'm interested how other developers/publishers/users will look back at RE7 in terms of its effects in VR. There's a very high chance that the RE series may end up not once, not twice, but three times sending serious ripples to the rest of the industry through innovation. First with the original RE popularizing a genre and inspiring a ton of games to follow, then RE4 rejuvenating the action/shooter/third-person shooter genre and future horror games with some serious innovations. And now it might (and hopefully) cause stirs in the VR gaming scene and lead more developers to experiment with full-fledged VR experiences and how to do comfort over an extended game (it also might possibly have an effect on horror games again, but to be seen).

I hope RE7 leads to more companies being daring, happy Capcom isn't abandoning the scene, and I just find it impressive the series seems to cause stirs in the industry whenever it attempts something new with this franchise, and hope that's the case here like it's looking like it might be.

Would love to see some more VR games using Capcom franchises but hope they make them separate experiences. I like RE7, but a lot of it is meant to be scary in VR hence all the weirdly close to you moments and face grabs. Was a bit to obvious for me, kinda like 3D movies.

Piichan

Banned
Man, I would literally kill for a Gyakuten Saiban VR.

OMG, I had never thought of that, but YES.

Investigating crime scenes in first person, being able to look at the gorgeous character models up close, actually standing in court as the attorney.

This needs to happen. Capcom, I know you read Gaf, make it happen.

You're more strong than me, I would need a whole day to recover from the dizziness.

I finished regular about 45 minutes later and immediately went to sleep.
Headache was just starting to come on so thats why I switched.

Im not even sure if it was the game after 6 hours either, headset was getting slightly uncomfortable and could have caused it..

BTails

This thread has convinced me to opt into RE.net so I can add another 1 onto that VR number. I'm so glad that this has become a hit, the game is phenomenal, and the VR experience is the coolest thing I have played in probably a decade.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Would love to see some more VR games using Capcom franchises but hope they make them separate experiences. I like RE7, but a lot of it is meant to be scary in VR hence all the weirdly close to you moments and face grabs. Was a bit to obvious for me, kinda like 3D movies.
Yeah, I think RE7 should have been a spinoff, it feels like one too.
That's why I'm so interested in RE8, I don't know where they go from there.

Truly, this game is godlike and I'm so happy Resident Evil is back to being more horror than action. And I loved RE4 and 5 (5, only if in co-op).

FunkMiller

Resident Evil 7 in VR will be considered one of the best games of 2017, and one of the most important games in decades. I think it really is a game changer were seeing here.

Owari

They should focus on giving Sony their money back so they can sell another 500k+ copies on Steam.

It's honestly pretty ridiculous that it's even listed as a VR title on Steam. It's #1 too, even though there's no VR. Basically false advertisement.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I was most of the way thru the game when my headset finally arrived, so I'll replay it it fully in VR. Tried it briefly and it was incredible.

Hey Capcom

VR please.

I would certainly buy this at a high price.

Raonak

Banned
Still don't understand why they made it a year exclusive. There was practically no benefit at all to Sony. Sony isn't in a place to meet demand with the game hype at high levels, and Capcom I'm sure just got a nice chunk of change in exchange for the exclusivity. Which means Sony was just double out for that round and hurt the overall VR sales adoption and performance.

I guess the whole point was to try and stymie external VR adoption as a result of the game while they get production scaling up.

Glad that Capcom came away with a positive conclusion though. I just don't want to see them do exclusivity agreements every time from here on out.

It's very likely Sony bankrolled VR support in RE7 in the first place.

All I can say is ......UGH. I don't like VR.

Well if we are getting VR games I might as well suggest something.

How about Asura's Wrath 2 in VR!

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch

Sony most likely funded it. Psychonauts devs said their game was funded and published by Sony so its likely this is the case here.

Wollan

It's very likely Sony bankrolled VR support in RE7 in the first place.
It's noteworthy how late in the development process the VR design aspects (beyond hitting the performance goal) have seemingly been implemented. At last years E3 they basically just had a normal FPS with VR hmd support applied, complete nausea town.

The final game however smartly defaults to very comfortable controls which is slow walking speed & 30degree angled turns mixed with the player actually walking in the direction that is being viewed. 180 degree instant turn and sprinting. Also a FOV filter that cradually creates artificial tunnel vision according to the amount of motion. Beyond this there's also heaps of specific options.
Cut-scenes are being showed as a large cinema screen in front of you, in-game scripted events strobe like a heartbeat (hiding the extreme motions with darkness).
You can gradually open doors and lean forward to peak out... you aim with your view... 3D audio... The game feels great to play.

Top Bottom