• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Dead Redemption II |OT| Who knew horse testicles had such a crunch?

Damn, can someone just spoil me about who is the character with the last mission?

I'm at
doing a train robbery with John. Micah mission is also available.

You're pretty close.
After you do a mission where you take Jack fishing, the next mission will be from John. The mission description on the map for John's mission will be pretty tame but it's going to get the ball rolling for the final mission of the chapter. Technically John's mission is not the final mission of the chapter but it might as well be because the camp will pack up after that.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You're pretty close.
After you do a mission where you take Jack fishing, the next mission will be from John. The mission description on the map for John's mission will be pretty tame but it's going to get the ball rolling for the final mission of the chapter. Technically John's mission is not the final mission of the chapter but it might as well be because the camp will pack up after that.

Thank you for this.

Do you know if it is like 16 or 17 missions? A friend of mine has 15 missions done (I have 11 done, counting them under the progress), and his next is meeting John in Valentine.

Last edited:
Thank you for this.

Do you know if it is like 16 or 17 missions? A friend of mine has 15 missions done (I have 11 done, counting them under the progress), and his next is meeting John in Valentine.
Don't know, sorry. Partly because I don't keep count and partly because some missions can be held off until later chapters. You can always just do a manual save so you can go back to a specific point.

WaterAstro

It doesn't if they recognize your clothing, hairstyle, etc..

This video does a good job explaining how it works.

I guess I couldn't get away with it. I was doing
the valentine doctor back room robbery where the cops will definitely see you.

You're pretty close.

Oh thanks. Good, I can do that challenge before ch3/

cr0w

Old Member
Man, Arthur gets sassy with some of the antagonize conversation options, and even in regular conversations. I was riding back to camp earlier and Bill asked who it was riding in, and Arthur just goes, "Arthur, you dumbass!" lol.

I'm on my second playthrough now, and just slowing down and taking everything in. Going to stay in chapter 2 for a good long while.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Man, Arthur gets sassy with some of the antagonize conversation options, and even in regular conversations. I was riding back to camp earlier and Bill asked who it was riding in, and Arthur just goes, "Arthur, you dumbass!" lol.

I'm on my second playthrough now, and just slowing down and taking everything in. Going to stay in chapter 2 for a good long while.

Yeah he does, this one is funny, and some of his lines are savage.

Yeah there is no way around that one.
Best I could do for that one was a $6 bounty. It's just way too close to the Sheriff's office so it's impossible to not get seen by lawmen. I keep thinking R* messed up somewhere and you were supposed to be able to open the backdoor from inside so you can do a clean get away.

Also I just got around to using incendiary rounds. I love the way the fire actually spreads to nearby foliage.

WaterAstro

Best I could do for that one was a $6 bounty. It's just way too close to the Sheriff's office so it's impossible to not get seen by lawmen. I keep thinking R* messed up somewhere and you were supposed to be able to open the backdoor from inside so you can do a clean get away.

Also I just got around to using incendiary rounds. I love the way the fire actually spreads to nearby foliage.
I actually redid it and got a $1.50 bounty. I didn't take anything but the gun because everything else lowers honor. Just booked it. The first lawman who comes inside first was just outside and saw me.

Vawn

Banned
I loved the game. I just really wish they had a medium in-town walking speed.

Your walk is a snail pace. If you try to speed up a bit, you go into a full-out sprint, knocking people over (which is a crime), busting through doors making everyone inside look at you like you're insane.

Also, it's way too easy to try to mount your horse, but instead violently lunge at an innocent bystander and start strangling them to death. I'm fairly certain this wasn't an issue in the real old west.

zwiggelbig

after finishing chapter 4 i really wish I took those first chapters slower for longer. Hanging in that camp was just to relaxd!

Zimmy68

I've watched those Bounty videos and they help with general stuff but things like this drive me crazy...

I walk into the Tailor shop in St Denis, some dude pickpockets me out of, like $1000.

How am I supposed to deal with that without a bounty?

I chased him down, lassoed him, he said let him go and he will give the money back. He just started running again.
I lassoed and hogtied him and I get witnesses to kidnapping. How about a witness to pick pocketing???
I get my money back and get out of the view, everything calms down, I head to the post clerk to pay the bounty but it shows nothing.
I start walking the streets and the next thing I know I am being shot at with a $15 bounty.
My options are to get my horse and burn 30 minutes escaping and coming back later to pay.
I couldn't surrender because the game thought I ran.
I never fired back but the law men surrounding me saw fit to open fire on me over and over.
I could fight them, but in St Denis, it would have been a long and expensive fight.
Finally I just let them kill me.

I don't think that is what the spirit of the game was looking for.

Last edited:

GC_DALBEN

I've watched those Bounty videos and they help with general stuff but things like this drive me crazy...

I walk into the Tailor shop in St Denis, some dude pickpockets me out of, like $1000.

I chased him down, lassoed him, he said let him go and he will give the money back. He just started running again.
I lassoed and hogtied him and I get witnesses to kidnapping. How about a witness to pick pocketing???
I get my money back and get out of the view, everything calms down, I head to the post clerk to pay the bounty but it shows nothing.
I start walking the streets and the next thing I know I am being shot at with a $15 bounty.
My options are to get my horse and burn 30 minutes escaping and coming back later to pay.
I never fired back but the law men surrounding me saw fit to open fire on me over and over.
I could fight them, but in St Denis, it would have been a long and expensive fight.

The exact same thing happened to me, surrender did not work, lol, it was frustrating.

Run after the thief and tackle him with melee (O/B). You get your money back and no one even looks twice.

Dr. Claus

Banned
Run after the thief and tackle him with melee (O/B). You get your money back and no one even looks twice.

Not really, I did the same thing (multiple times) and it always leaves me wanted. I don't threaten him or beat him, I just get my money after tackling and move on.

v0mitg0d

I love this world. Just riding around, exploring, and seeing things in motion. I was at work the other day and wanted to just see it--no missions, no combat, no hunting, no skinning--just a ride through the game world.

Might be fun to set it up in the background at a party, or for white noise doing homework (instead of a radio). Who knows, maybe this is just a lame idea. :p

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I have to be honest. So far I am not having much fun in the game. Feels like they went too hard in trying to make it real and I dont know, it kind of sucks.

I am past the winter part and have set up camp.

Dunkelgrau

I have to be honest. So far I am not having much fun in the game. Feels like they went too hard in trying to make it real and I dont know, it kind of sucks.

I am past the winter part and have set up camp.
It took me about twenty, maybe thirty hours (I am in the middle/end of chapter three), but now I am loving it. You have to get used to the game and all of his characteristics. There was nothing special or twist in the story: But at some point the switch in my brain was turned over. At the moment I am tending to a 9/10, before this game was just a 5/10 for me.

Last edited:
Whew, long post warning but since some have complained no one has suggested a better control scheme here is my suggested and detailed take, with bonus mechanics. PC modders bookmark this. Or if you all like pass it onto Rockstar with your social media savviness..

The extra mechanics are nice to haves but the default layout and functions should be as below for an intuitive and well controlled action game with interactive elements, IMO of course.

L2: Equip and targeting button
  • Tap - unholster last equipped weapon / bring up fisticuffs.
  • Tap with weapon out, cock gun, used as a threatening gesture.
  • Double tap, quick draw handgun to hip aim without cocking or firing. Triple tap to quick draw and cock, hazy aim cursor fades in while stationary or walking. These should act as different threat levels and cause NPCs to react accordingly. Maybe have some of them freeze in place instead of all going suicidal hostile.
  • Slight depress - build deadeye.
  • Hold - unholster and aim last selected weapon / target fisticuffs. While running cursor swells, while sprinting cursor becomes hazy.
L1: Evade button
  • Tap - momentary duck. Hold - crouch / sneak.
  • Tap with left thumbstick - Short ducking evade in direction (think Alan wake)
  • Double tap with left thumbstick - evasive dive in direction. Hold >1/4 sec during dive or on ground to stay on ground. Diving into NPC or animal auto tackles them.
  • Tap with left thumbstick while melee - bob/ short step evade in direction
  • Double tap to hold while aiming weapon and left thumbstick - combat roll.
R2: Fire or throw button
  • While aiming - works as expected per above.
  • Tap without aiming - clumsy quick draw (if holstered or unarmed) / inaccurate blind hip first shot, cover fire, or throw in camera direction. Successive taps without aiming gives hazy cursor. Running makes more hazy. Sprinting blind fires in camera direction.
  • Hold without aiming and either still or slow - less clumsy quick draw (if holstered or unarmed) / successive hip or cover fire with hazy cursor. While running - successive blind fire. While sprinting, wildly inaccurate blind fire.
  • Double tap while still or slow - proper and fastest quick draw to fire. First shot clear cursor then hazy with successive shots.
R1: Defend button
  • Tap near cover - Transition to cover but don't stick
  • Short Hold - toggle stick to cover. But you know maybe have the animation system try to press Arthur against the cover instead of lazily ducking near it, Rockstar? Seriously.
  • Tap while targeting melee - block
  • Hold on melee - strong block

Dpad Left: Power weapons
  • Tap - Equip / unequip as aimed weapon
  • Hold + L2 tap - Switch between ammos
  • Hold + Right analogue - weapon wheel of power weapons (at horse)
  • Long press - Switch between shoulder and back weapon. Tapping L2 at same time cancels switch
  • Press with interact button to swap with weapon in focus
Dpad Down: Sidearm
  • Hold + L2 tap - Switch between ammos
  • Hold + Right analogue - weapon wheel of sidearms (at horse)
  • Long press - Switch between single and akimbo. Tapping L2 at same time cancels switch.
  • Press with interact button to swap with weapon in focus
Dpad Right: Throwables
  • Hold + L2 tap - Switch between throwables
  • Hold + Right analogue - weapon wheel of throwables
  • Long press - cycles through throwables. Tapping L2 at same time cancels switch.
Dpad Up: Provisions and Kit
  • Tap - Equip / unequip provision or item
  • Hold - Time slows; Item wheel to equip or consume from selections. Icon of selection on hud or shown hanging from body for player awareness
  • Hold + L2 - put on / take off mask or bandana
  • Long press consumes selected provision
Point being tapping directions switches to last selected weapon or item. No more going throw multiple clumsy button presses to switch weapons, binoculars, etc. Quicker access to the things you need gives you better adaptability in combat.

X/Square: Jump, climb and clamber.
  • Works as before but is now also to climb your horse to ride.
A/Cross: Interact button
  • Double tap picks up closest item to Arthur and equips it throwable! Throw a beer or can of pineapples at your foe before engaging in combat!
  • Double tap to hold - pick up and stow all times in proximity. Animations still play. Cancel out by hitting any button.
  • Hold to focus - Works with right analogue to change subject of interaction in FOV (but shouldn't lock the camera to it). From there it works as before.
B/O: Melee
  • Tap - punch or kick (low object) in Arthur's direction.
  • Hold - Shove. While sprinting - tackle subject to ground or against wall. Once pinned, subject is auto targeted.
  • Tap while targeting melee and standing up - jab or stab. Short hold - power swing. While holding duck makes it stomach attack. While bobbing, cross. While standing from duck, uppercut. Modestly deep melee system with a couple buttons, mic drop.
Y/Triangle: Reload and whistle?
  • Tap - reload weapon
  • Hold - whistle
Left Thumbstick: Movement
  • Analogue - speed control; when not aiming or weapon holstered full stick can still have limit power walk speed, otherwise run at full deflection.
  • Click - sprint.
Right Thumbstick: Camera and selection
  • Analogue - Camera control. Item/npc select with interact buttonbefore
  • Click - while not aiming, eagle sense. While aiming transitions to deadeye.
Options / Back button: Tap for quest log / hold for Map

Start button: Pause menu. Hold to change camera.

Oops posted too soon. Filled out the rest... And again.. I think I got all actions this time.

Last edited:

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
After 20+m hours I still hate the controls and the bounty system. I fell off my horse somehow and bumped a pedestrian which led to being wanted and killed on site. WTF? I love that I lose $150 every time I die, good job at rewarding risk and fun - punish the player.

Future

After 20+m hours I still hate the controls and the bounty system. I fell off my horse somehow and bumped a pedestrian which led to being wanted and killed on site. WTF? I love that I lose $150 every time I die, good job at rewarding risk and fun - punish the player.

They probably kept it as an old rockstar trope. Reality is money means almost nothing in this game. Almost no incentive to rob anyone, almost nothing of value to buy with money (most interesting things need crafting materials). Eventually I just went to the gun store and bought nearly everything for kicks. Just before realizing my most frequent gun usage were special ones I found in the field.

But I’m with you on hating controls and bounties. I feel like rockstar knew this, because somehow I always have max tobacco for instant dead eye refills even though I’ve never tried to get any. Must get them from looting all the time. Gun fighting without dead eye is possible, but way slower and less fun

Freeman76

What a great experience this has been. Im nearing the end of chapter 6 (according to social club i have 4 missions left), i dont want it to end, will slow down and do some completion stuff at the beginning of the epilogue. Is crafting upgrades etc still possible after episode 6? I read a few opinions that the epilogue is boring and pointless, I was hoping for another 10 hours of shit to do so I hope they are wrong. Probably the best all round gaming experience of all time for me, and online isnt even out yet.

Halo0629

Anybody here felt disappointed with John Marston in this game?

="Felt like he was reduced into a damsel in distress in this game."

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I’m fucking done with this game. I M simply just not having fun. I’m sick of the controls, sick of the constant nonstop micromanaging, sick of the tedious bounties, sick of constantly getting shot up....and god fucking dammit am I fucking sick of the slow ass walking when in base camp.

I’m gonna see if MS is willing to give me a refund.

I’m just fucking done

Last edited:

zkorejo

Great game .. and on chapter 6. But honestly I actually want it to end asap. I am only interested to see what happens next.. everything in between has lost it's meaning after the events unfolded.

Camp seems at unrest, Arthur is at unrest, the leadership is non existent.. it's like everything has gone to shit and is constantly going deeper.

As much as I love the game, I want it to end now.

Wonkytonk

I’m fucking done with this game. I M simply just not having fun. I’m sick of the controls, sick of the constant nonstop micromanaging, sick of the tedious bounties, sick of constantly getting shot up....and god fucking dammit am I fucking sick of the slow ass walking when in base camp.

I’m gonna see if MS is willing to give me a refund.

I’m just fucking done

You should swear more.

P.s. fuck.

ebevan91

Great game .. and on chapter 6. But honestly I actually want it to end asap. I am only interested to see what happens next.. everything in between has lost it's meaning after the events unfolded.

Camp seems at unrest, Arthur is at unrest, the leadership is non existent.. it's like everything has gone to shit and is constantly going deeper.

As much as I love the game, I want it to end now.

I just started chapter 6 and I'm ready for it to end too. I already had the game spoiled a couple days after the game came out thanks to Reddit assholes so I know the destination but not the road that will take me there. At this point in the game pretty much all I am doing is side missions and main missions. No more minigames, no more hunting, just missions.

Plus Battlefield V releases in a week and I'll be switching back to PC gaming for a while to play that.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

That is Arthur Morgan? Wow! Though I did not expect Marston to look like his real life actor as well way back when.

On a side note, I really liked JM in the original, but AM is taking it to the next level for me. So well acted, especially the mo-cap mannerisms. A very relate-able character I can connect with.

Last edited:

zwiggelbig

LOL I had the EXACT same thing happen to me today! But.. its also quite realistic lol. Ye I was annoyed as fuck buy.. Meh Im more anoyed with horse controls being so shit in town that u get a bounty and cops chasing everytime u bump into someone.. How ever.. someone steala from us. We try to take it back but then get wanted fuck..

yeah some of the ones for Pearson are good when you first greet then antagonize haha. Oh hey that was good cooking... compared to the poison you fed us last night -- oh what you do to those poor animals. He's worse to Abigail I think... oh, you're such a good example to all these girls -- what, with all your experience and all. I ended up getting knocked out by John, too. haha

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Awesome time, finished it tonight! Holy cow at all those people who made this game. We all knew Rockstar had a huge team and 7 years of development.
I totally thought they wanted to exploit the beauty of the game with those last missions of the Epilogues. Super impressed with the game as a whole. It got me ready for RDR1.

I actually have more ideas on where things are from this OT. Some of the stuff around the world I didn't see. That one NPC I never met and etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom