• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red dead Redemption + Undead Nightmare PS4 is a 10/10

Kerotan

I originally played this on my PS3 just before RDR2 launched on PS4. It ran around 720p and the frame rare was in the mid to low 20's it felt like. So I just speed ran the main story and moved onto RDR2.

Now that I've completed RDR2 I want and replayed the PS4 version of RDR1. It ran amazingly at 4k 60fps which really showed off the world rockstar had crafted. I went and beat the game and did the 100% completion.

This is now a sequel to RDR2 and I was so much more invested in the story and it was very sad at times. Highly recommend anyone who has recently beaten RDR2 to play this version of 1.

And I played Undead Nightmare for the first time. A fantastic extension I had so much fun.

Has anyone here replayed RDR1 recently? It's gone from a 7/10 originally to a 10/10 today.

Ps. I hoftied Edgar Rosses wife and squished her with the train for the final 🏆.
XsDXofq.jpeg
asfnZP6.jpeg
dt0txjn.jpeg
S0CYITU.jpeg
rogOTdO.jpeg
5y53pE3.jpeg
zG9delL.jpeg
jYjtSao.jpeg

Last edited:

Södy

When it launched it was only 30 FPS, incredible game, one of my favorites of all time but fuck Rockstar and their minimal effort bullshit.
Yep. Didn't bought it then because of emulation. Once it got the 60fps patch, I immediately bought it and it looks way crisper than emulated with upscaling.

Rivdoric

Wait it's 4K/60fps on PS4 now ?
Very tempted but i heard rumors about a PC version coming soon so i might wait a bit more.
Waited 14 years, a few months more should be okay-ish.

tommib

It’s a 10/10 game indeed. I mainlined the PS4 version on PS5 on 4K/60 and it’s a joy to play and watch. Need to start Undead eventually.

It’s a much better game than what I remembered from when it launched.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?
I never cared for Undead Nightmares and I do think the mission design in the base game has made it age a tad poorly. It also suffers from how Rockstar handles quest givers in that you leave some of the best characters behind after tackling their handful of missions. That said, John, Bonnie, and Landon are some of my favorite characters in all of gaming.

King Dazzar

What do you think aged? It felt actually fresher than putting RDR2. Much more gameplay focused with less “simulation” distractions.
For you maybe. But I preferred my time with RDR2. I enjoyed the OG, but the open world was fatiguing for me, especially later in game. And it was mainly due to an awful fast travel system. The gunplay was pretty clunky. I just felt things have moved on a lot in world design these days. Its good. But for me it isnt a 10 out of 10.

SABRE220

A legendary game, and one of all-time favourites. The conclusion of johns story was heartbreaking and deadsmans gun playing was simply perfect. This might be an unpopular opinion but playing rdr before rdr2 ruined the sequel for me. Rdr2 while immensely detailed was just too slow and honestly just not as good in comparison. Not sure how to explain it but something was lost going from rdr1 and 2 which made 1 special.

Kerotan

A legendary game, and one of all-time favourites. The conclusion of johns story was heartbreaking and deadsmans gun playing was simply perfect. This might be an unpopular opinion but playing rdr before rdr2 ruined the sequel for me. Rdr2 while immensely detailed was just too slow and honestly just not as good in comparison. Not sure how to explain it but something was lost going from rdr1 and 2 which made 1 special.
The Sasquatch storyline in undead nightmare was even more heartbreaking!

But yeah John's story hit me hard last week replying it after seeing all he went through in RDR2. Even more tragic then Arthur especially when you factor in Abigail.

Zimmy68

How fucked up is it that RDR2 got zero DLC.

I know GTA Online dominates but even RDR2 Online got nothing compared to GTA.
DLC is not an option anymore thanks to the morons and whales that gave them so much money for GTA Online.
They supposedly had DLC planned for GTA V and when they were flooded with cash from online, they said, "why bother?"

Weird, for me it was the opposite. RDR played like a ol’ western era of gta, rdr2 played more like a simulator, which from a technical aspect is pretty neat but gameplaywise felt like ass in comparison

giphy.gif

RDR1 is a "slog"... but RDR2 is... not? In what way do you mean?

Regarding RDR1, compared to GTA, it's world felt empty and boring, but this makes sense somewhat considering it came out a decade earlier. Back then, open-world design was still evolving.

Personally, I struggled to finish RDR1 for that reason.

While RDR2 definitely has it's unnecessary stretches (like Cuba), the story and characters completely hooked me. By the end, I was so invested that RDR1, despite being the chronological sequel, feels like a step back narratively.

RDR2 is special. It's one of those rare games where I genuinely didn't want the story to conclude.

Only a few other titles have done that for me including CP2077, and maybe BG3.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
One question..

If I buy the Nintendo Switch or PS4 version, can I play the Undead Nightmare DLC when I start the game, or do I have to finish it first?

I already played it on PS3 and finished it, but I never played the DLC.

tommib

Have you played the ps4 version on ps5? It's basically going from 720p to 4k and mid twenties frames to 60fps. It really brings out the detail in the game.
And I’m pretty sure character models have more details and LODs are much higher. There were threads on Twitter about the improvements.

The Fartist

Gold Member
Man, played the shit out of this when it came out, I murdered in the online mode, the Mexican stand-off was so fucking cool, such great memories. Will re-visit when it goes on sale or something.

Funny, I remember this looking like RDR2 looks now. 4k 60 sounds amazing.

SABRE220

The Sasquatch storyline in undead nightmare was even more heartbreaking!

But yeah John's story hit me hard last week replying it after seeing all he went through in RDR2. Even more tragic then Arthur especially when you factor in Abigail.
Haven't played Undead Nightmare is it worth it? When deadman's gun started playing..damn it hit hard, and the lyrics fit so well with johns tale.

DeVeAn

I had literally replayed it on Series X right before they announced this version. Later they patched it for PS5 with 60fps. I'll get it on sale sometime. Yes game is so much better with high res and smooth fps. Great time.

This is only 30FPS still on PS4/Pro, you need to play on PS5 for the 60fps patch.

You can get 60fps on PS4 Pro if you jailbreak the console and apply the 60fps patch and limit res to 1080P.

Last edited:

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
You guys all thought this remaster was one big hunk of shit upon release lol I think I was the only person playing. Maybe one other.

Time really does heal all wounds :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Loved both Red Dead 1 and Undead Nightmare. Hoping for an Undead Nightmare remake at some point or even a sequel.

LOL I remember there being alot of console warrior BS between PS and Xbox fans regarding this game back in the day. Fun times :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy: :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Kerotan

Haven't played Undead Nightmare is it worth it? When deadman's gun started playing..damn it hit hard, and the lyrics fit so well with johns tale.
Yeah the dlc is short and sweat. Lot's of cutscenes and returning characters. The dialogue is a lot more GTA humour like too. Highly recommend especially this new version. Took about 10 hours to 100% it.

EruditeHobo

First was Red dead Revolver.

the second game was Red Dead Redemption

RDR2 was actually the third game

There's no Red Dead Revolver 2, so quite clearly RDR1 refers to Redemption and RDR2 the sequel. That's why it's in response to someone talking about... Red Dead Redemption and Red Dead Redemption... 2.

Last edited:

Vick

Gold Member
Perfect game all around, an utter masterpiece largely superior to its sequel in so many ways.
Top 3 best games of all time for me, PS4 version via PS5 for the win.

Last edited:
Top Bottom