• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

For some reason I decided to just start marathoning Half in the Bag from the start again. Already on episode 13. Man, Jack looks so weird and Jay without the facial hair is strange. Plus them being in the house is so crazy now.
What's the episode where Jay asks Mike what did he think, and Mike goes, "It was great!" and Jay says, "Yeah?" and Mike says, "No..." and then Jay laughs?

So what was the point of sending the T-3000 John Connor to 2017 when Skynet also sent a liquid metal terminator back to 1973 to kill his mom?

hey, they (re?-)uploaded the previous seasons of HotB to youtube. Neat.
(or the previous contract with Machina expired, just like T3)

Now I kind of 'want' to see Genisys though. For science.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Yeah, I had no idea they were sponsored or part of networks until recently.

Some of the really early episodes have some commercials for a movie chain.

Originally Posted by The Real Abed

For some reason I decided to just start marathoning Half in the Bag from the start again. Already on episode 13. Man, Jack looks so weird and Jay without the facial hair is strange. Plus them being in the house is so crazy now

Someone once described pre beard Jay as a homeless guy with aids. I think it was an apt description.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Now I kind of 'want' to see Genisys though. For science.
Heh. Me too.

Also, is that really Matt Smith? It barely looks like him. It looks like a Matt Smith look-alike who doesn't even look like Matt Smith.

I'd watch it for The Doctor and Danerys and Arnold. But that's about it. Also because I've seen the other 4 Terminator movies so I might as well. When it comes to VHS in a few weeks.

As somebody who works in a STEM field I just want to say, there's a glaring loophole in that whole video and it's a joke that they didn't catch it.

Clearly that was a sperm and an egg.

Started a rewatch of Half in the Bag in the background (because I'm an idiot).

Apparently Chad Vader and Sexy Nerd Girl and Brawl in the Family are no more (he quit in 2012, she in 2014, they in 2014... Brentalflosss is still alive and kicking, and The Watchman posted once to a Facebook account in 2013 and 2014, so is he still around?). "That's what he said" girl from the Attack of the Clones review (the cute-as-a-button one) appears in Episode 2 as a masseuse. I think you can hear Jessi laugh in Episode 3's Toronto Comic Con footage. Josh appears in Episode 5. No Brand Con in Episode 5 may be Mike's best stuff. Episode 7 has Rich appear as a non-Rich character (hack fraud) and dies marking the first murder and their downward descent of jumping the shark. Episode 8 features "Agent Cooper", the undercover stripper, who will later appear in the 24 hour film project (and then never again, I think?). Special Edition "Zookeeper" review is their first joke review. Episode 9: Mike becomes a pedophile? Episode 10: Jack's first appearance and Nadine's first on HitB, and Jessi appears on screen... and the first slow running gag? And Fuckbot! (before they killed him a few months ago in the garbage bin).

"a whole colony of mice were living in my vagina."

I wonder what happened to some of these people who used to be in Redlettermedia content. Who the hell is Dan?

More stupid facts to come. Maybe. Until I get tired of it.

Started a rewatch of Half in the Bag in the background (because I'm an idiot).

Apparently Chad Vader and Sexy Nerd Girl and Brawl in the Family are no more (he quit in 2012, she in 2014, they in 2014... Brentalflosss is still alive and kicking, and The Watchman posted once to a Facebook account in 2013 and 2014, so is he still around?). "That's what he said" girl from the Attack of the Clones review (the cute-as-a-button one) appears in Episode 2 as a masseuse. I think you can hear Jessi laugh in Episode 3's Toronto Comic Con footage. Josh appears in Episode 5. No Brand Con in Episode 5 may be Mike's best stuff. Episode 7 has Rich appear as a non-Rich character (hack fraud) and dies marking the first murder and their downward descent of jumping the shark. Episode 8 features "Agent Cooper", the undercover stripper, who will later appear in the 24 hour film project (and then never again, I think?). Special Edition "Zookeeper" review is their first joke review. Episode 9: Mike becomes a pedophile? Episode 10: Jack's first appearance and Nadine's first on HitB, and Jessi appears on screen... and the first slow running gag? And Fuckbot! (before they killed him a few months ago in the garbage bin).

"a whole colony of mice were living in my vagina."

I wonder what happened to some of these people who used to be in Redlettermedia content. Who the hell is Dan?

More stupid facts to come. Maybe. Until I get tired of it.
What's the episode where Jay asks Mike what did he think, and Mike goes, "It was great!" and Jay says, "Yeah?" and Mike says, "No..." and then Jay laughs?

Someone posted it as a gif somewhere in this thread...

ONLY TOOK ME THIRTY MINUTES TO FIND IT

15149529438_85f69feab5_o.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I assume it's a newer episode from the post-VCR shop era but before the current video game repair shop era. Most likely before the underwater plot.

I haven't gotten to that era yet. I'm still only up to Looper (Episode 39) which is during the VCR shop era when Plinkett gets robbed and loses his girlfriend.

Someone posted it as a gif somewhere in this thread...

ONLY TOOK ME THIRTY MINUTES TO FIND IT

15149529438_85f69feab5_o.gif

Totally didn't see your post until now. Glad you found it. What episode is it?

Also, updates:

Ah, the Transformers movie and the first Michael Bay movie at episode 11 which "some have called these the death of cinema or the lowering of the IQ" and asks the important question of "How do you stop a bully? You ignore him." Also, Jack gets his first chance to act as a character in the highly memorably Mailman Tommy (hack fraud still had his hair and beard). The Captain America episode seems odd nowadays since they were down on it, called it a "series of things that happen", and "things are bad when we have to cite The Rocketeer as complex storytelling." I feel like that can be said of nearly every single comic book movie of the past five years, so either their standards lowered, or they just gave up on being more critical of these formulaic and safe nerdy franchise movies. Or maybe that's because of the opening of the next review (Cowboys and Aliens) is where they read feedback they've gotten from Marvel fanboy lunatics who have nothing better to do with their lives than defend comic book movies. Future BotW guest Freddie Williams appears in the Chicago Comic Con episode, and George Lucas enters the costume contest. Tangental, but I also totally forgot they did a Conan The Barbarian reboot; boy, was that movie memorable or what? In Ep 17, we get the second direct confrontation between George Lucas and Mike/Jay. Turns out Mike is a Crypt and Jay is a Blood, yet they never really wear Blue/Red (PLOT HOLE). Episode 19 features a "not-yet-confirmed-for-gay" Jay fawning over this lady, and he also gets cancer... but I don't think this is mentioned in the doctor's visit in, I think, the future episode 81 when he gets all his pills (PLOT HOLE AGAIN). The second half of Episode 20 feels almost like a proto-BotW episode with Black Ninja being discussed, but I never liked the first half because Mike is really angry and hostile and out of character with normal HitB. Oh, and Gillian appears as a stand up comedienne (Rhoda) and apparently she did actual stand up comedy in real life. We also get archival footage of a young Rich Evans doing light work for what might be Gorilla Interrupted.

Jay: "Filmmaking is a series of choices."

komplanen

EDIT: JOKE INCOMING:

Based on a true story: EDIT: EDIT: If you don't get the joke, watch this.

Sunday stream recap:

Jack thinks Iwata is better off dead and "he was no Miyamoto"

Rich is looking forward to Batman VS Superman after seeing the actual trailer

Rich was super bummed that the USA spent billions taking pictures Pluto

Jay talked about Jessie in past tense "when she was still here"

New Plinkett review this monday, hinted it was "first of more to come"

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Based on a true story:

Sunday stream recap:

You forgot Biscuit got run over.

Based on a true story:

Sunday stream recap:

I just started the stream to see if any of this is true, and you're right that Jack and Rich have little clue about who Iwata was and why he was important and essential to Nintendo (shocking), but I hope the rest of what you are writing, especially the bolded, aren't true. Jessi was one of the best on BotW and she's been a part of RLM since I started watching them.

Edit:
Rich is semi-looking forward do Superman Vs Batman or whatever. Oh no... you might not be pulling my strings. (Jack thinks it will be awful)

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I've come to learn that Twitch streams are extremely boring when they're learning games/playing relatively new games because they don't talk to each other and just talk about what's happening on screen. Oh well.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I've come to learn that Twitch streams are extremely boring when they're learning games/playing relatively new games because they don't talk to each other and just talk about what's happening on screen. Oh well.

I really wish Pre-Rec, or ideally RLM in general, would just hurry up and jump on the podcast wagon. More and more I realize that I don't give a shit about the games they're playing. I just want to hear them talk about random bullshit. The least interesting part of the Pre-Rec streams for me is when they're talking about the game.

Shy

I really wish Pre-Rec, or ideally RLM in general, would just hurry up and jump on the podcast wagon. More and more I realize that I don't give a shit about the games they're playing. I just want to hear them talk about random bullshit. The least interesting part of the Pre-Rec streams for me is when they're talking about the game.
I'd love for them to start doing podcasts too.

komplanen

I just started the stream to see if any of this is true, and you're right that Jack and Rich have little clue about who Iwata was and why he was important and essential to Nintendo (shocking), but I hope the rest of what you are writing, especially the bolded, aren't true. Jessi was one of the best on BotW and she's been a part of RLM since I started watching them.

Edit:
Rich is semi-looking forward do Superman Vs Batman or whatever. Oh no... you might not be pulling my strings. (Jack thinks it will be awful)

I said it was based on real life true story events, didn't I? Don't you believe me?

EDIT: If you don't get the joke, watch this.

davepoobond

The benefit of the twitch stream is the user interaction though when they actually read the chat.

Some of the games are nice to watch them play, but I generally agree that I get kind of frustrated when they are learning the game because it can get boring.

Jack is a lot better at "introducing" a new game he is playing to the chat than Rich, so it can be fine for me.

jgminto

Police Quest was their best stream so that makes sense.

komplanen

I like the streams where Jay is participating too. Not because I'm gay for Jay but in general a third member who doesn't really care that much about games is a healthy addition.

I like the streams where Jay is participating too. Not because I'm gay for Jay but in general a third member who doesn't really care that much about games is a healthy addition.

When it is Rich and Jack, it is almost always about games, where their knowledge can be quite dubious. When Jay is involved, it can be about movies, TV, whatever, or RLM behind-the-scenes, and it's great. That's why when someone says the stream has started, I usually ask "who's involved?" or whatever to the same degree. If Jay is there, it might be great. If it is just Jack and Rich, the chances of greatness are present, but diminished.

It's amazing how stupid they are with regard to video games. Wow.

This is why I abandoned Pre_Rec as a proper show, and why I tend to catch the stream only when Jay is on... .

Serious question: Is Rich an idiotic gamer gator?

komplanen

It's amazing how stupid they are with regard to video games. Wow.

This is why I abandoned Pre_Rec as a proper show, and why I tend to catch the stream only when Jay is on... .

Serious question: Is Rich an idiotic gamer gator?

I bet that Josh would be if he was into gaming at all. He probably thinks women can't be in the business of bug exterminating though.

Myggen

Yeah, a RLM podcast would be amazing. I've been wanting that for years.

davepoobond

Yep yep, except for the fact i think Rich doesn't like me. :_:

Why do you think that?

Also, I'm always surprised at the breadth of games you seemingly know how to play whenever they ask questions about new games.

Top Bottom