• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Yeah, a RLM podcast would be amazing. I've been wanting that for years.

That's what the 3 or 4 streams I watched (or rather listened to) are. Well, it's mostly a Q&A from the Twitch chat, but there's some good stuff in there. Like a debate whether or not some of the RLM people would like to work on a big Hollywood movie or not and stuff like that. But yeah, I wish they'd come up with a proper audio podcast. Am I right to assume that Space Cop is taking up most of their time these days? They seem a bit light on content in the past few weeks/months.

Shy

Why do you think that?
Can't quite put my finger on it, it's just a feeling i get why i try to talk to him when he's in the chat or on the stream.

Maybe i said something that came out the wrong way, or was misinterpreted. Wish i knew though, then i could put things right and apologise.

komplanen

Can't quite put my finger on it, it's just a feeling i get why i try to talk to him when he's in the chat or on the stream.

Maybe i said something that came out the wrong way, or was misinterpreted. Wish i knew though, then i could put things right and apologise.

I never read anything on the chat during their streams so I can't say how you goofed up but personally all I could possibly think has any "value" on a Twitch stream of theirs is making silly jokes and one-liners. I could see Rich being stale towards anyone who either tries too hard to have a conversation or backseat games for them.

I can't speak for you but since you used the words "when I try to talk to him" and somehow that rings to me like you're maybe trying too hard. Just make in-jokes and snarky one-liners and you'll do fine. Rich doesn't strike me as someone looking for a conversation.

Agreed on the podcast. I don't give a fuck about their streams because that requires you devote specific time to them at specific hours.

A podcast is perfect too. They already have the sound equipment and shit like the first part of the star wars christmas botw was basically a podcast. Talk about random shit.

Not to mention that a podcast takes significantly less time to do. Do it weekly. Devote 1 hour of your day. Like with sleepycast you can rotate members of RLM issue free. And now you don't have to worry about content not being frequent or consistent for people like Mike and Jay.

komplanen

Here's a problem though: Podcasts are extremely hard to monetise. If it takes two hours to record a podcast and an hour to edit and upload it, and it's much more profitable to spend that time making YouTube videos and live streams which both are more straightforward with revenue.

"But but they already make over $12,000 a month from Patreon!"

They sure do! Now if only the two thousand patrons would ask for a podcast, it'd be a different situation... As things stand now, the Patreon money is promised to go to videos and movie production.

"But they already make movie commentary tracks!"

But those are purchasable on Bandcamp and they only make them quite rarely.

"But why can't take take two to three hours every week or two weeks just to make free products to please me! I could easily sit down several times a week to record podcasts if people were interested in them"

If only. Red Letter Media is an incorporated business and while I'm only guessing, I bet they don't exactly swim in money. Running a small business can be quite hard and time consuming. I bet all their free non-paid time is something they value spending on their on terms.

Instead people on Patreon should ask for a podcast and maybe tell Red Letter Media that they should do a Patreon "stretch goal" where for an example if their support grows from 12k to 14k they'll do a bi-weekly podcast.

Metal B

Based on a true story:

Sunday stream recap:

Jack thinks Iwata is better off dead and "he was no Miyamoto"
You have to be a awful human being to ever say "Someone is better off dead" and on top of that have a terrible understanding of that person.
I question myself, if i want to ever see anything with Jack again.

Edit:
The -----------------------------------------> Joke
___________My head

komplanen

OMG people it's a joke on how nothing anymore is actually based on true story in cinema. The shit I wrote as having happened was intentionally so ridiculous no one would believe it... well now two people are freaking out

Also in other news I forgot how fucking amazing this scene is:
https://youtu.be/caKcJ9Jllfc?t=18m29s

Myggen

You have to be a awful human being to ever say "Someone is better off dead" and on top of that have a terrible understanding of that person.
I question myself, if i want to ever see anything with Jack again.

Edit:
The -----------------------------------------> Joke
___________My head

sdfgheou09.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
So I assume he didn't actually say that, right?

What game did they play? I usually only watch games I know I'll enjoy and only when it's archived. (Which usually takes a week)

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
I never read anything on the chat during their streams so I can't say how you goofed up but personally all I could possibly think has any "value" on a Twitch stream of theirs is making silly jokes and one-liners. I could see Rich being stale towards anyone who either tries too hard to have a conversation or backseat games for them.

I can't speak for you but since you used the words "when I try to talk to him" and somehow that rings to me like you're maybe trying too hard. Just make in-jokes and snarky one-liners and you'll do fine. Rich doesn't strike me as someone looking for a conversation.

thats more or less my thoughts as well. i dont think he's really "looking" to make online friends he talks to all of the time. he's probably just cool with seemingly chatting with everyone in general but not on a personal basis. It could potentially also takes away from being able to interact with everyone if he focuses on certain since his time is limited to only a few hours a week.

What makes you think that?

I was on a different site and people were strongly suggesting he was because some youtube channels he watches and several past comments in streams (I don't watch the stream all that much anymore so I don't know what they are). First I heard of it and thought "oh no!"

Also, I hate you komplanen :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I was on a different site and people were strongly suggesting he was because some youtube channels he watches and several past comments in streams (I don't watch the stream all that much anymore so I don't know what they are). First I heard of it and thought "oh no!"

He probably mentioned TotalBiscuit once and people assumed some dumb shit.

There's no way he's a gator.

Here's a problem though: Podcasts are extremely hard to monetise. If it takes two hours to record a podcast and an hour to edit and upload it, and it's much more profitable to spend that time making YouTube videos and live streams which both are more straightforward with revenue.

"But but they already make over $12,000 a month from Patreon!"

They sure do! Now if only the two thousand patrons would ask for a podcast, it'd be a different situation... As things stand now, the Patreon money is promised to go to videos and movie production.

"But they already make movie commentary tracks!"

But those are purchasable on Bandcamp and they only make them quite rarely.

"But why can't take take two to three hours every week or two weeks just to make free products to please me! I could easily sit down several times a week to record podcasts if people were interested in them"

If only. Red Letter Media is an incorporated business and while I'm only guessing, I bet they don't exactly swim in money. Running a small business can be quite hard and time consuming. I bet all their free non-paid time is something they value spending on their on terms.

Instead people on Patreon should ask for a podcast and maybe tell Red Letter Media that they should do a Patreon "stretch goal" where for an example if their support grows from 12k to 14k they'll do a bi-weekly podcast.
Podcast would already be hosted in their site. Add ads from the usual suspects throughout the podcast ala earwolf.

Cheerilee

Regarding podcasts/streams, it's important to remember that Mike is the most important/busy member of RLM, because he's the boss and he works on Plinkett/HitB/BotW, followed by Jay who works with Mike on HitB/BotW, while Rich and Jack help out sometimes. Mike and Jay are the A-team while Rich and Jack are the B-team.

Rich and Jack figured out what they can do to keep busy and contribute to RLM without getting in the way during the times when they're not helping out, and that's make a videogame show.

Since they're making a videogame show, they have to play videogames. Since they're playing videogames, they thought "why don't we let our fans in on it?" and started streaming. If Mike or Jay want to take a break from work/life and drop by the stream to see how it's going, they can do that on their own terms, but committing to a podcast is too much like work and Mike and Jay have their own work that needs doing.

Gamergate could probably be said to be three things, ethics in game journalism, misogyny, and internet drama.

I'm pretty sure Rich doesn't care about ethics in game journalism. He might believe that all entertainment journalism is a fraud, just a bunch of unqualified manchildren making money by playing videogames and watching movies (like himself), but he doesn't care if it is, and isn't so invested in videogames that he feels the need to go on a crusade to save them.

Rich isn't a misogynist. He tries to learn from his mistakes and not be a horrible person.

He's not a fan of internet drama. It's just people getting way too emotionally involved with what other people think, and he doesn't have time to keep up with with the lengthy arguments that are so much more important than the lengthy arguments that were made in the previous thousand wars on the internet. Once you've seen one internet war, you've seen them all.

At least, that's the read I get off Rich.

The trailer was better than the Suicide Squad one, so there's that. But I wish it sticked a bit more to the generic trailer formula, even if it had some stuff (laser beam in the sky, destruction, funny bit after the title).

E: And why is it not called "Comic Con trailer"? Would've been perfect for these hack frauds.

Shy

thats more or less my thoughts as well. i dont think he's really "looking" to make online friends he talks to all of the time. he's probably just cool with seemingly chatting with everyone in general but not on a personal basis. It could potentially also takes away from being able to interact with everyone if he focuses on certain since his time is limited to only a few hours a week.
Yeah, you guys make good points.

I assume there is a company somewhere that owns the rights to use the name, yes.

I thought that was pretty ridiculous, considering that there are comic cons all over the country.

However, in December last year, the San Diego Comic Con Corp did indeed file some trademarks regarding the use of "comic-con".

At least that's how I read it. I'm no expert on these matters. So I might be wrong.

http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:43iegy.2.19
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:43iegy.2.20
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:43iegy.2.21
http://tmsearch.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=4810:43iegy.2.22

Either way, it would've been a nice joke and I doubt that someone would've made a fuss over it.

Grinchy

Banned
This actually looks pretty good. I never thought that actually making the movie was a good idea since the trailer stood on its own, but I am looking forward to this.

komplanen

I, too, have been rewatching all of the HitB episodes and currently at episode 50 it cracks me up how much of Rich Evans is in old man Harry Plinkett. They both pronounce library as lieberry and it cracks me up.

Top Bottom