• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

komplanen

Kinda getting bored of Arkham Knight, having played it myself and them playing a boring DLC mission, but damn this stream just proved my point that having Jay present makes the streams more interesting.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kinda getting bored of Arkham Knight, having played it myself and them playing a boring DLC mission, but damn this stream just proved my point that having Jay present makes the streams more interesting.

Oh, Jay was there tonight? Nice, I'll actually watch this one later, then.

I've honestly just started sitting out any stream where Jay isn't present. No disrespect to Jack and Rich, 'cause they're great, but like you said, having Jay around just makes it so much more interesting.

komplanen

Oh, Jay was there tonight? Nice, I'll actually watch this one later, then.

Yup he shows up a little after the stream starts.

As per their discussion I... ehm acquired Evil Dead, Evil Dead II, Army of Darkness, Wet Hot American Summer, and even the Superman Lives documentary. Time to see what all the talk about these movies is about.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

It's mostly because its just jack talking to the chat and rich focusing on the game 70% of the time until jack says something stupid and rich makes him repeat himself

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's why I think the stream is better when it's X-com or something like that. The game itself is boring but it doesn't matter since they don't need to actually concentrate and can just talk about whatever.

komplanen

FhkSPH6.png

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Watched the Superman Lives! documentary they talked about in the live stream. It's a really interesting documentary and worth watching even if you don't give a fuck about comic books like me.
Jay was right about the dude trying to insert himself into the documentary. He was also right about the technical problems during the Tim Burton interview.

The other problem was that they obviously didn't have enough cameras, so all the interview subjects are looking at the host instead of the camera, which means every interview subject is shown in profile or at some weird angle. But the information there was fine. It feels like they were trying to do what "Jodorowski's Dune" did, but just not as well.

The doc "An Honest Liar" that Rich recommended was interesting as well... certainly much better put together anyway. I forgot about the whole fake Christian healer thing.

davepoobond

Try Evil dead 2, it's kind of a remake of the first one, but you may prefer it.

Yeah, Evil Dead 2 is basically the same movie but better.

I liked the actors in the first one a bit better though if I remember it correctly. It was less goofy in the first one I think?

UrbanRats

Yeah, the first is one is played as a straight horror, where as the second one is played more as a horror-comedy.

Army of the Dead is where it's at, anyway.
Big step up from both, in my opinion.

Watched ED2 and Army of the dead a couple of days ago, as a matter of fact (to prepare for the TV show).

davepoobond

45 minutes are you fucking kid?

I think this is the first one where I say it was a bit too long for what information it actually provided that I cared about. It felt like it could have been more like 25 to 30 minutes instead, but I think it's more due to the way they are discussing it rather than the editing.

They need to plan out their discussion more instead of having it be an improv conversation which I think is what they are doing.

There weren't many jokes to fill the extra time with anything and the discussion got a bit out of focus and disjointed.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Having watched it all, I don't mind the length since most of it comes via story spoilers and discussions about how games should tell stories.

If anything, it's a sequel to The Order 1886 review, where this is what they want to see in games (even if they don't like the actual story).

This is also what I wish their streams were like, but of course, they can't play and talk at the same time. lol

This is weird but my other favorite youtube channel did Samurai Cop review.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfiJC4oDiJc

OSW Review is three Irish guys who review old Wrestling pay-per-views. They are between normal episodes and did this review for some reason. They've done a few WWE movies and The Happening before this. I thought it was great but I'm sure their style isn't for everyone.

Give it a watch.

komplanen

Here's a little Best of the Worst (and Wheel of the Worst) trivia to pass time:

What Wheel of the Worst video are they talking about?
Mike: "I would help that person find the puppy"
Jack: "Right!"
Mike: "And I wouldn't be here now"
Jack: "Mike would have been kidnapped. Most likely raped multiple times before killed and dumped somewhere in Northern Illinois"

a) Let's Rap About Fire Safety
b) Gary Coleman For Safety's Sake
c) Key Matters
d) Dog Sitter VHS

Correct answer:
c) Key Matters, viewed in Wheel of the Worst #2

The Wheel of the Worst intro shows three cover arts of VHS tapes side-by-side against a black background. Which of these is not one of them

a) Shoji Tabuchi Show"
b) Video Catnip - Entertainment For Cats
c) Magic Star Traveler
d) Tree Stand Safety

Correct answer:
d) Tree Stand Safety is not one of them, though it is briefly seen spinning in the wheel later on

How does Mike wish for Patty Wooten, the star of Laugh - Jest For Health Of It, to die?

a) Get cancer
b) Get Ebola
c) Falls and breaks her neck
d) Falls and hits her head

Correct answer:
Mike wishes for her to get Ebola

komplanen

Here's a second quiz whether you folk like it or not:

Which Best of the Worst movie had the catchy one-liner "You have a problem: You're gonna die"?
a) Deadly Prey
b) Deadliest Prey
c) Russian Terminator
d) Lady Terminator

Answer:
c) Russian Terminator, viewed in Best of the Worst #1

Which movie brought us the reunion of Dick the Birthday Boy and Showbiz Pizza Bear?
a) Trick or Treat
b) Night Beast
c) The Crawlers
d) Blood Lock

Answer:
Trick or Treat, viewed in Best of the Worst Halloween Special

Grinchy

Banned
I am going to complain for a moment about Jack and Rich.

These guys know how to do audio. They know how to do video. So why is their stream so fucking horrible? They stream really often and at no point do they care that people can barely hear them and that their audio quality is complete shit?

Put some effort into it, for the love of God. It won't even be much effort. When they are terrible at playing games and you can't even hear what they're saying, what's the point of the stream? Who do they think it's going to appeal to?

komplanen

I am going to complain for a moment about Jack and Rich.

These guys know how to do audio. They know how to do video. So why is their stream so fucking horrible? They stream really often and at no point do they care that people can barely hear them and that their audio quality is complete shit?

Put some effort into it, for the love of God. It won't even be much effort. When they are terrible at playing games and you can't even hear what they're saying, what's the point of the stream? Who do they think it's going to appeal to?

This is what I keep thinking every damn stream. It's odd that Jack doesn't just do one stream where most people agree the audio is fine and then just write the god damn settings up or memorise them.

Joeku

Presumably they don't have a splitter or mixer that gives them the exact same audio with a single output to a PC with OBS (or whatever they use) and an audio-save solution for the edited video later on. That would probably help. I can't tell from the footage, but my guess is the audio is all recorded separately on Tascams and whatnot and Jack throws it all together and syncs it up when making the videos.

Given that Pre-Rec seems to be as prominent on the site as the rest of RLM's content now, they might want to spring for a simple mixer to make this right. I'm sure that sweet red couch wasn't free.

dhonk

Yeah they seem to have a woefully inefficient hardware setup honestly, but they dont seem to want to bother with that.

komplanen

Let's put it this way: There are people doing more professional live streams with similar amateur setups and having none of the problems.

Essentially all they have to do is set all PC audio to X%, Skype volume to Y%, local mic volume to Z%, capture card volume to V% and so on. Go online and ask people what is low.

Is Rich low? Check he's speaking to mic properly. No? Fix that. Yes? Skype volume up.
Is game audio low? Add more game audio.
is Jack low? Check if he's speaking to local mic properly. No? Fix that. Yes? Local mic volume up.
Is everything low? OBS volume up.

Everything works? Note down the settings. Doing this again next week with same settings should result in exactly same results if people speak to their microphones properly. If game audio is low it's game's fault. Is everyone too low or too high? Not a problem unless you were stupid enough to adjust overall audio in OBS to compensate for game volume instead of adjusting that.

For all local settings it isn't fucking rocket science to keep note of every microphone's level and then as long as they are all the same as before, it's gonna work. Problems? Learn to speak into a god damn microphone. You've done it a hundred times by now.

Their problem now is this:

Rich is not speaking into microphone properly. Set Rich up.
Next week Rich is speaking properly and is now too high. Set All-Out volume down
Now Jack puts the microphone in his mouth for us to be able to hear him
etc etc

Cheerilee

Another complexity is that I think they said once that the computer Rich built is the best option they have when it comes to capturing/processing/streaming/whatever, but sometimes it's not available because the game they're streaming needs a good computer to run (which means they need to use the one Rich built for that instead), so their entire setup gets rearranged and now maybe they're using Jack's ten-year-old laptop to run the show.

And I think they said that Jack does test the setup before they start, but it's live TV, so of course everything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and Jack will be stuck trying to panic-fix it. And usually the problem isn't even visible on Jack's end, he just gets unclear time-lagged complaints from the chat, so he has to blind-fix. I think he even said something to the effect of "How can the sound be messed up? These are the same settings that worked just fine in yesterday's stream..." It's not surprising that it's starting to wear him down.

They probably do need an equipment upgrade. More dedicated capture equipment, and they could probably use three gaming computers (Rich's house, Jack's house, office). But I imagine they're going to phase in new gaming computers rather than building them all at once. Wait a few years, then build a new gaming computer, downgrade the status of the others, and retire the weakest link.

davepoobond

Another complexity is that I think they said once that the computer Rich built is the best option they have when it comes to capturing/processing/streaming/whatever, but sometimes it's not available because the game they're streaming needs a good computer to run (which means they need to use the one Rich built for that instead), so their entire setup gets rearranged and now maybe they're using Jack's ten-year-old laptop to run the show.

And I think they said that Jack does test the setup before they start, but it's live TV, so of course everything that can go wrong, will go wrong, and Jack will be stuck trying to panic-fix it. And usually the problem isn't even visible on Jack's end, he just gets unclear time-lagged complaints from the chat, so he has to blind-fix. I think he even said something to the effect of "How can the sound be messed up? These are the same settings that worked just fine in yesterday's stream..." It's not surprising that it's starting to wear him down.

They probably do need an equipment upgrade. More dedicated capture equipment, and they could probably use three gaming computers (Rich's house, Jack's house, office). But I imagine they're going to phase in new gaming computers rather than building them all at once. Wait a few years, then build a new gaming computer, downgrade the status of the others, and retire the weakest link.

Yeah, they really need new computers for each location, and dedicated set ups in each.

They just gotta do it. Most people don't stream from 3 different places using 5 different configurations with people walking in and out

Jack is usually fine solo, it seems, but the office needs its own for sure, so that Rich doesnt have to lug his back and forth

Calcium

Banned
Patreon + youtube effectively killed off all other video hosting sites for these kinds of reviews and lps.

Maybe . . . but Youtube also flags a bunch of content creators. YMS just got hit with 3 the other day.

Google really needs to figure out their system and make it work for the content creators and the IP owners instead of just fucking over everyone.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I guess there's always Vimeo... but let's face it, everyone's going to take Google's puny adsense dollars and just live with it.

Top Bottom