• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I don't know why, but one of my favorite episodes of HitB is the Battleship/Dark Shadows episode. I didn't see Battleship, and Dark Shadows wasn't offensively bad, and I don't find the episode that funny or enlightening, but I just enjoy it for some strange reason. It's like the Mac and Cheese of HitB where it is comfort food and nothing more.

Maybe it is during one of my favorite stretches of HitB where they got out of the shop and house and explored the town. Unlike the last year or so... where the silly storyline got stale and boring because of Space Cop and whatever. But I'm also convinced I'm the only one who likes and enjoys the narrative around the reviews more than the reviews themselves.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Okay I take it back, yesterday's stream is actually really funny. Rich talking shit about a children's game is funny. Also how old do you guys think Misty is? Asking for a friend who is the same age so it's not weird.

in the show?

like, 13 or 14. i think she's older than ash, who is like 12 or 13?

brock was like 15 or 16.

Cheerilee

in the show?

like, 13 or 14. i think she's older than ash, who is like 12 or 13?

brock was like 15 or 16.

IIRC, Ash was 10 at the start of the show. They did the "Harry Potter" thing where once a year, all the ten-year-olds in town are allowed to pick a starter Pokemon and go on a Pokemon Journey, and there were four ten-year-olds in Pallet Town that year. Ash was the town's pathetic runt loser, while Gary was gifted in just about every way. Ash slept in and missed the ceremony while the three "better" kids were assumed to have claimed the traditional three starter Pokemon (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle). Having come late, Ash was stuck with a defective Pikachu, while Gary was coy about not telling Ash which Pokemon he picked, saying he got "the best one" (later revealed to be none of the above, but an Eevee). So Ash and Gary were both 10, but Ash was probably barely 10, while Gary was probably something like "ten and three quarters" because he was so much bigger than Ash.

I think Misty was 10, the same age as Ash, but she was more mature than him, because girls mature faster than boys, and because Ash is a late bloomer (or just pathetic, it's hard to say). Her family ran a Gym, so rather than sending her off on a Pokemon Journey, they made her a rookie Gym Leader.

I think Brock was 15. He was old enough to be interested in women (and Misty was old enough to recognize what he was doing, while Ash was oblivious), but the rest of the Pokemon world still looks at Brock like a child, not a man.

All of this is "at the start", of course, but the show never really progressed. If Misty was 10 years old in 1998 then she could be 27 years old today (but isn't).

davepoobond

IIRC, Ash was 10 at the start of the show. They did the "Harry Potter" thing where once a year, all the ten-year-olds in town are allowed to pick a starter Pokemon and go on a Pokemon Journey, and there were four ten-year-olds in Pallet Town that year. Ash was the town's pathetic runt loser, while Gary was gifted in just about every way. Ash slept in and missed the ceremony while the three "better" kids were assumed to have claimed the traditional three starter Pokemon (Charmander, Bulbasaur, Squirtle). Having come late, Ash was stuck with a defective Pikachu, while Gary was coy about not telling Ash which Pokemon he picked, saying he got "the best one" (later revealed to be none of the above, but an Eevee). So Ash and Gary were both 10, but Ash was probably barely 10, while Gary was probably something like "ten and three quarters" because he was so much bigger than Ash.

I think Misty was 10, the same age as Ash, but she was more mature than him, because girls mature faster than boys, and because Ash is a late bloomer (or just pathetic, it's hard to say). Her family ran a Gym, so rather than sending her off on a Pokemon Journey, they made her a rookie Gym Leader.

I think Brock was 15. He was old enough to be interested in women (and Misty was old enough to recognize what he was doing, while Ash was oblivious), but the rest of the Pokemon world still looks at Brock like a child, not a man.

All of this is "at the start", of course, but the show never really progressed. If Misty was 10 years old in 1998 then she could be 27 years old today (but isn't).

makes sense to me.

i always thought of them as a little older since they go through so much shit, but i guess Ash being a perpetual 10 year old is what it is.

Cheerilee

ZS6xvK4.jpg

EYcKIfd.jpg

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
The Pokémon anime is aimed at elementary school kids, so rather than come up with a nrw cast for the kids introduced to the franchises, the writers just reset Ash's power levels

komplanen

I wonder if a worse live stream exists than todays? And I don't mean Prerec, I mean literally every live stream in the world of live streaming put together, I think this one was the worst.

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder if a worse live stream exists than todays? And I don't mean Prerec, I mean literally every live stream in the world of live streaming put together, I think this one was the worst.

hmm, maybe they're actually attempting to have the worst stream of all time. That would make a lot of sense.

davepoobond

they need to have a dedicated set up for this stuff.

it is kind of funny i guess if you look at it after the fact, but its frustrating during the experience. i don't see their popularity growing if they are plagued with technical difficulties all of the time.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
What do people actually want from the streams though? It's basically a live radio show with some boring game in the background.

davepoobond

i only stick around live for about half of it, but i watch the whole thing on youtube later... i'm satisfied with it in general.

I don't know how you people watch their streams every time. They're awful.

This is why I ask every wednesday if Jay is on, because he's the only reason I watch some of the streams (because they then talk about non-game stuff and aren't as focused on the game).

Grinchy

Banned
And Jay!

Edit: about the sound, is there no easy way for them to control the volume of the stream better? It ranges from very quiet to overbearingly loud if they cheer.

This is what is so frustrating to me. A group of guys who have all done audio work for many years look like they just bought their first microphone compared to an average twitch streamer.

This is what is so frustrating to me. A group of guys who have all done audio work for many years look like they just bought their first microphone compared to an average twitch streamer.

I'm guessing they do most of their audio work post-shoot?

Remember how awful Rich's mic was for ages in the early half in the bag episodes?

They probably don't own a good compressor.

komplanen

So far the stream starts superb with audio levels being really good but yeah when someone screams or raises their voice I'm glad I ain't wearing headphones.

komplanen

I was the entire time. It was frustrating as all get out.

Yeah I made the mistake of leaving the video playing on my laptop while resting in bed with a high fever. The laptop was just too far for me to lower the volume and I was just a tad too weak and sickly to get out of the bed.

Davey Cakes

Going back to Pokemon for a moment...

TV Show Gary Oak is the best RIVAL.

Screw the Pokemon Black and White-era "rivals who are your best buddies."

komplanen

Watching Rich play something he's really into is refreshing.

EDIT: And just so I don't sound too positive, I'd like to point out that the bitrate on this stream is just stupid low.

Top Bottom