• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

komplanen

Pretty good episode. Of course it's kinda obvious that the Jack & Jill review holds 90% of all possible future content about Adam Sandler movies so they can't exactly top that.

Cheerilee

Just finished watching Ishtar. Man, that's a bad movie. Not even so bad it's good, just painful. Spoiler review below.

It starts out with these two no-talent schmucks who individually believe that they're stars waiting to be born, and then they meet each other and feed off each other's shared delusions and destroy their own lives. They quit their jobs and drive away their girlfriends and end up broke and crying and suicidal. It's very much Dumb and Dumber but without the funny. Actually, I suspect this movie might be a comedy, but every attempt at a joke falls completely flat (I literally just watched it, and can't remember one joke that worked), so I'm not sure if it was even intended to be a comedy.

These guys can't sing, can't dance, can't write, and can't play instruments, but they want to do everything. And that's probably the worst thing about this movie. The writers/actors decided to have fun with the idea of making something terrible, and just threw themselves into it. The problem is, they exposed the audience to it after they were done. The songs are painful, and they're everywhere, and they drag on and on and on.

Anyways, desperate for money stardom, they beg an agent for work, but the only place he can get them work is in a warzone where anyone with half a brain has run away. How this New York agent can get them a job in Ishtar is the kind of mystery that you ignore because it's the least of this movie's concerns. And the sad part is, these losers actually won at this point. They found their place. They sang bad karaoke of crowd-pleasing classics to a crowd that just wanted to loosen up and have some fun, and it worked. They made a lot of money and the crowd loved them. Of course, then they mentioned that tomorrow they intended to move up to their original material, so maybe they were always doomed.

So the "plot" kicks in and they're the prophesied messengers of God, and they individually become pawns of the CIA (supporting an oppressive dictatorship) and of a girl working for the rebels. The stuff with the girl gets creepy uncomfortable as both of them want to bang her while she's crying over her dead brother. They turn against each other and start with the lies and betrayal.

Then both sides simultaneously decide that they want these losers dead, and double-order that they walk out into the desert to die. The two friends make up when they realize that they were both duped by people who want them dead. But the girl gets cold feet and joins them to help fight off a CIA death squad.

Oh and, in the middle of the desert there's a hilariously horribly racist scene where Dustin Hoffman bluffs his way through translating a black market arms sale.

Having won everything, our heroes hold the CIA, the US Military, America, and the entire world hostage, as they force their terrible music down the ears of the people of the world. Oh and, they also demand democracy for the people of Ishtar. The CIA will just... assassinate the ruler of Ishtar or something, assuming he doesn't play ball and call a fair election. Whatever. And it might have been implied that they're going to three-way the rebel chick, who loves both of them and their horrible music. The end.

I don't see a Plinkett review in here. It's just terrible music, casual 80's racism, thin/no plot, and a complete and total lack of comedy. Of course, if they find a way to somehow make a Plinkett review out of it, I certainly won't complain. I will say that this isn't a movie that you would need to seek out and watch before the review. It's like a Baby's Day Out or Cop Dog.

komplanen

I would like Plinkett to review the second Star Trek reboot movie. He did a good job with the first one. The HitB was quite a long anal-ysis too so not a problem if they skip it.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I would like Plinkett to review the second Star Trek reboot movie. He did a good job with the first one. The HitB was quite a long anal-ysis too so not a problem if they skip it.
Yeah, I'm surprised he didn't do it already. The third one is coming out what, next year? They need to get moving! Maybe release it in time for the next one or something.

He did his "Star Trek Into Reference" short video while they did the Half in the Bag review. I doubt they'll go back to that well a third time.

TPrK3r8.png

The price Adam Sandler has paid is now being dead inside.
That Orson Welles footage is also uncomfortable to watch, lol.

IIRC, they said they went the "fork in the brain" route for their Grown Ups 2 review because after their Jack and Jill review, there was nothing left to say about Adam Sandler movies.

I imagine it's hard to find new ways to allege mass fraud.
I really hope this is the one that doesn't make it's budget back and it slows down his bullshit.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Watching the Ant-Man episode. I love when Mike starts talking about Star Trek and Jay spaces out.

Just like when Jay starts talking about Community.

xezuru

Hey guys, just got into watching the RLM crew very recently and have been enjoying most of their stuff, also enjoying their Previously Recorded series as well, surprising at this point I gave up on finding any interest in Giant Bomb and hearing the old man sarcastic unenthusiastic bit on gaming. Jack seems like a gaming infant in terms of what he's played before but imo they seem to have solid taste and have good reasonings most times behind it.

Anyways, real question, any huge standout episodes or recommendations to go back to the past on?

Nekofrog

Banned
if you're a fan of bad movies, all of best of the worst

aaaaaaaalllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll of it

shoutouts to my boy shoji tabuchi

aravuus

Also definitely The Star Wars Holiday Special of the BOTWs too. Easily my favorite episode, maybe because it's all just hilarious discussion and drunk Mike, not really about the special at all.

komplanen

Tsh at the lost Grabowskies episode. I wonder if it was lost in the first place because Mike ate it because he's a real super fatso omg. It took him all this time to poop it out. omg

Cheese

Potts

Neo Member
Hey guys, just got into watching the RLM crew very recently and have been enjoying most of their stuff, also enjoying their Previously Recorded series as well, surprising at this point I gave up on finding any interest in Giant Bomb and hearing the old man sarcastic unenthusiastic bit on gaming. Jack seems like a gaming infant in terms of what he's played before but imo they seem to have solid taste and have good reasonings most times behind it.

Anyways, real question, any huge standout episodes or recommendations to go back to the past on?

Hopefully you've seen their Star Wars prequel reviews. Also, their review of Jack and Jill is pretty legendary as well. Their Prometheus video is pretty funny too. All their shows (half in the bag, best of the worst, wheel of the worst, plinkett reviews) are pretty great, really.

Pre-Rec doesn't have that many reviews so it's easy to catch up with.

Plinkett reviews go watch the Star Wars prequels, Cop Dog, and the one with the baby (Baby's Day Out I think)

Half in the Bag and Best of the Worst is a bit harder, stand out episodes are hard to pin point since they're so many but they're all worth watching.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
This doesn't seem like a fun stream to watch.
It depends on a few factors:
Who is streaming and in the voice chat
Who is playing the game
What game is being played (Least important)

If it's Jack and Rich, it doesn't usually matter what game it is, it'll be entertaining because they'll talk about anything. If it's just Jack solo then it might be boring unless the game is awesome enough to talk about. If it's Rich, he's pretty quiet but can be entertaining when he interacts with the chat. If Jay is there too or another friend then it can be a lot more fun since Jay barely knows anything about games and usually seems fascinated watching. Though he's usually just editing when he's there so he'll just throw in anecdotes occasionally. If there's audio problems then it's even more fun.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Haha that was an awesome stream, Rich absolutely shat on Pokemon the whole way through and was completely right in the end.

I always just used 2 or 3 Pokemon primarily through most of the progression of the game so it wasn't too surprising. I would collect all of them obviously.

My go to was Sandslash (most of his attacks were normal and powerful), I think s
Squirtle and something else. Then I kept all of the special Pokemon on hand.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Everyone knows Pokemon's meat and potato is fighting another player.

I wonder if Rich would be into the Front Mission series.

i never played one battle with another person.

for Front Mission, he might enjoy it. not the story though, probably.

komplanen

Okay I take it back, yesterday's stream is actually really funny. Rich talking shit about a children's game is funny. Also how old do you guys think Misty is? Asking for a friend who is the same age so it's not weird.

Top Bottom