• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
They weren't nearly as harsh on the movie as I think people were expecting or wanted them to be.

jman2050

They weren't nearly as harsh on the movie as I think people were expecting or wanted them to be.

I disagree. They had a couple good things to say about it sure but the entire tone and direction of the review was almost melancholy at times. As if they tried to desperately extract any sort of emotional connection to the movie and couldn't even do that. No entertainment value, no anger, no annoyance or sadness or despair, no anything. In a way that's a lot more harsh than even their most scathing recent reviews.

Like Jay said it's not even really a movie. It's a thing that exists that has some neat concepts. It's a movie that appeals to nobody.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
yeah . . . they should be able to get rid of most of that noise. Or maybe the noise was even worse getting rid of it would distort the voice?

They should have heard that when were recording though . . .

What do you expect from a bunch of frauds?

Shy

You, hack fraud.
jXbX69y.gif

jett

D-Member
That was a surprisingly sensible review. Seemed like they these cold, dead human husks were almost feeling empathy for Josh Trank. But they do bring an interesting point, why in the lawd's name did the studio even greenlight Trank's pitch for this thing? How utterly pointless.

Also, these goddamn hack frauds have become intensely lazy with the Mr. Plinkett metaplot.

That was great and surprisingly reserved. Thought they were gonna thrash it totally instead of being kinda indifferent about it, but then again I haven't seen the movie.

Tomita

I'd read a novelization of the F4 movie that was adapting the original version of the film...but I don't think they make novelizations of movies anymore. ):

Ending of the review cracked me up.
Forgot the house was on a mountain.

ElTopo

Banned
Josh Trank's Fantastic Four is like another Alien 3 situation (also handled by Fox coincidentally...). Really loved the Half in the Bag review.

komplanen

Did I miss something but wasn't the narrative a while back that this guy came in to finish someone else's movie, smoked weed on set, and broke down some rental apartment, and got fired from a standalone Star Wars movie because he was such a dick?

Now he's some amazing visionary being pushed into submission by the Machine.

barik

Now I'm really curious about the Doom-scanners scene. Sounds pretty good, it's a shame we'll never to get to see Trank's version. A sci-fi horror movie where the superhero business is only a framework sounds really cool.

Did I miss something but wasn't the narrative a while back that this guy came in to finish someone else's movie, smoked weed on set, and broke down some rental apartment, and got fired from a standalone Star Wars movie because he was such a dick?

Yeah while the movie might have been a lot more consistent if they just let him finish, it doesnt change the fact that he is the one who approved the Doom design everyone hates, he's the one that didn't want his name to even be Doom, he's the guy who wanted doom to be some angsty hacker, and he's the one that showed up high and verbally abused actors.

It's easy to imagine that putting back the pieces of this broken puzzle would turn into something beautiful, but in reality the picture was probably kinda ugly in the first place and Fox just made it worse by scrambling the idea.

why not both?

Yeah while the movie might have been a lot more consistent if they just let him finish, it doesnt change the fact that he is the one who approved the Doom design everyone hates, he's the one that didn't want his name to even be Doom, he's the guy who wanted doom to be some angsty hacker, and he's the one that showed up high and verbally abused actors.

It's easy to imagine that putting back the pieces of this broken puzzle would turn into something beautiful, but in reality the picture was probably kinda ugly in the first place and Fox just made it worse by scrambling the idea.

I agree but it's the 'made it worse' part (which really looks like the case) that makes me wish I could at least see what he had put together. I doubt it would magically be good but it would have at least been more consistant.

ElTopo

Banned

I don't think anyone depicted him as a visionary or anything like that. They simply said (and there's more than enough evidence as proof) that the project was definitely taken away from him. I'm not familiar with the rental apartment but him being high on set and being a dick to actors has not been verified and could be used by the studio to deflect criticism upon them.

Tomita

Even if he made the most brilliant movie ever, it doesn't excuse him being a dick on set, no. I completely understand why he was fired, both because of the behavior, and because of what Jay said in the review; "I can't believe Fox even okayed the original horror premise."

But I was interested in a Cronenberg take on the characters. The Doom stuff sounded like shit, but I was hoping I could just overlook the Doom parts and enjoy everything else in the movie. It helps that, although I respect what the character has done for comics and I'm fine reading issues with him, I don't have a personal attachment for Doom, so when they screw him up I can just laugh at the stupidity.
Can't say the same for Lex in the new Batman/Superman movie, welp. RIP Lex.

It sounds like from reviews you can't even watch the movie and enjoy the beginning because the entire thing is a giant mess, and that's a shame. For all we know, if the director was able to do whatever he wanted the movie would still be a giant mess. In these sorts of situations it's very easy to go "what if" and imagine the other scenario to be better than it ever could be.

ElTopo

Banned
Even if he made the most brilliant movie ever, it doesn't excuse him being a dick on set, no. I completely understand why he was fired, both because of the behavior, and because of what Jay said in the review; "I can't believe Fox even okayed the original horror premise."

Again, these are unverified rumors.

Because of the Half in the Bag review I actually watched it. I thought it was pretty good up until the last 10 minutes. Love Doom's motivation and his rampage. It's better than the other movies I think and I'd be interested in seeing a director's cut.

Sounds like the original version of FF had potential.

It sounds like it had potential to be a decent movie, but a not so good Fantastic Four movie. And that is where the problem with this movie came from, the Fox execs looked at it and said that it wasn't what they wanted, then they edited the hell out of this movie to try and make it fit into a standard comic book formula. Though reumour is that Matthew Vaughn (who directed Kickass, Kingsmen, First Class) came in and did reshoots for Fox. Apparently any scene where Sue Storm is wearing a bad wig is a reshoot.

Sanjuro

It sounds like it had potential to be a decent movie, but a not so good Fantastic Four movie. And that is where the problem with this movie came from, the Fox execs looked at it and said that it wasn't what they wanted, then they edited the hell out of this movie to try and make it fit into a standard comic book formula. Though Matthew Vaughn (who directed Kickass, Kingsmen, First Class) came in and did reshoots for Fox. Apparently any scene where Sue Storm is wearing a bad wig is a reshoot.

Not sure how it couldn't be a good Fantastic Four film, seeing how there is no exact blueprint.

NR1

Have been going back and watching older episodes of HITB and BOTW, and I really want to check out Xtro, but the DVD is outrageously priced everywhere. I have tried a few of the local video stores (Movie Trading Company and EntertainMart) with no luck. What's really irritating is that the movie is reasoniably priced in the UK, but it's a region 2 locked disc. I guess the U.S. is just out of luck... :(

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Have been going back and watching older episodes of HITB and BOTW, and I really want to check out Xtro, but the DVD is outrageously priced everywhere. I have tried a few of the local video stores (Movie Trading Company and EntertainMart) with no luck. What's really irritating is that the movie is reasoniably priced in the UK, but it's a region 2 locked disc. I guess the U.S. is just out of luck... :(
If you don't mind the extra work and want a disc copy of the movie, you could always just import it and... well, use "magic" to remove the region restrictions.

Shy

Xtro is on the youtubes, if you don't mind watching it on there. Here you go.

komplanen

What ever you do, don't be one of those people that would actually pay up to $80 for a DVD no matter how much of a cult classic it is.

NR1

Xtro is on the youtubes, if you don't mind watching it on there. Here you go.

Thanks! I didn't look on YouTube because I figured it would have been pulled down for copyright reasons. I would like to find a disc copy in time though.

What ever you do, don't be one of those people that would actually pay up to $80 for a DVD no matter how much of a cult classic it is.

No worries there. Those prices are just insane. I would go for $30 MAX, but even then, that is pushing it. I typically will only pay that much for a limited release (Twilight Time/Screen Archives, Kickstarter Exclusive, ect) or a special edition (retail exclusive content).

I agree but it's the 'made it worse' part (which really looks like the case) that makes me wish I could at least see what he had put together. I doubt it would magically be good but it would have at least been more consistant.

So my curiosity got the best of me and I had to check the movie out for myself, to stop the conjecture and get some solid opinions of my own on the movie. After seeing it I still think that fox probably made it worse. Once the bad wig shows up everything goes to shit. And I still dont like the casting for Reed. I still dont like how young everyone is. I still dont like the changes they made to Victor's character into some awkward angsty reject who probably keeps a blogger about how the world doesnt understand him. However I was surprised by how much I liked certain aspects of it. I'm more curious than before what asshole Trank's version of this would have been.

Intro-Bad
The first 15 minutes or so are trash. Nobody gives a shit about the child genius cliche where nobody believes him and his parents dont understand him. We've seen it a million times and it doesnt add anything to the movie because the same ideas it tries to get across are just repeated in the next scenes. If they wanted to develope the young reed/grimm relationship they should have just focused on that and downplayed the cliche part.

Middle-Good
The next hour after that I actually liked a lot. The whole sense of mystery and discovery, then things going wrong and the horror afterward. It was legitimately creepy and a bit horrifying. Basically, after the movie switches to modern-day reed up until just after the accident. That was all a great origin for the F4 and I liked the way they figured out how to bring everyone together. Movie is feeling pretty strong right now.

Transition-Terrible
Then for unknown reasons the movie makes a sudden left turn. Reed goes into hiding for reasons I dont understand. He just woke up and got the hell out of there while ben screamed for help, Ben can fuck right off I guess. Suddenly it's one year later? What the hell just happened? And then boring shit happens for 20 minutes, nothing interesting is going on. Movie has stopped dead. Ben is understandably pissed because apparently he agrees with me that there was no fucking reason for Reed to run off and hide in the wilderness or some shit.

Doom-Awesome
Now we're close to the end of the movie. They discover that for the entire past year, Victor has been trapped and abandoned in the other dimension. That's plenty of reason to be really pissed off and a little crazy, too. He's even fashioned his trademark cloak as a way of sheltering himself from the elements. It's a badass origin for Doom, spending a year in that hell just brooding. And to everyones surprise, when "rescued" and brought back to earth it's revealed he actually loves being the god of an entire world, he fucking kills everyone and goes right back. His own crazy movie version of Latveria to rule. He may look a little shitty but I'm liking what's going on right now.

Resolution-Nevermind it's ruined.
Awesome, right? Nope because only moments later he decides to suck earth into a black hole. ....why? I dont know. Why is this even happening? I got the impression that he just wanted to be left alone and that was great, but instead he wants to kill every human ever with little motivation. I know he's an outcast sort of character but it's a big stretch to go from a socially awkward nerd who dislikes government to a supervillain who wants to destroy the entire planet. The whole final scene looks pretty but I dont know what the fuck is going on. RedLetter was totally right saying that it would have been just fine if when Doom went back to Zero, he just left the movie. Would have felt right.

Final Scene-Because fuck this movie
Doom is killed because whatever. Ben forgives Reed because plot convenience. Superpowered children threaten the government without repercussion because lol. Team awkwardly and forcefully decides they are called the Fantastic Four because movietitle. Movies over I guess, it spent so long setting up the pieces that there wasnt any time to play the game.

komplanen

First third of the live stream is so bad compared to when they start to play a game they like. It's kinda silly if they don't learn from this.

Grinchy

Banned
Nice. The commentaries are pretty enjoyable. As weird as it sounds I wished they'd talk more about the movie during the commentaries but they're good.

aravuus

Nice. The commentaries are pretty enjoyable. As weird as it sounds I wished they'd talk more about the movie during the commentaries but they're good.

Yeah, rewatching some older movies like Halloween and Alien with their commentary has been a lot of fun

Top Bottom