• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
finally watched it. i was kind of hoping they would break the jar at the end with a stick like what happened in the movie, but they didnt

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
soo maybe pre-rec should play dropsy
hLQaKcW.jpg

imBask

Banned
"I never played metal gear solid, this game sucks because I don't understand what's going on"

here, you can skip the last prerec

dhonk

"I never played metal gear solid, this game sucks because I don't understand what's going on"

I do not like their game content, mostly because of stuff like that but also I dont feel like its a good platform for their humor. I dunno, gotten a chuckle like twice from Pre Rec since it started. Im just gonna stick to the movie stuff which is gold.

komplanen

Not even gonna bother. Now let's just wish eventually they will run the shock factor wells dry and not even trolls bother watching their reviews. Instead they should do 2x more streams where they play games they enjoy and talk casually amongst themselves and the chat.

um... no.
It's a good review, better than the gullible 10s out there. It's still mostly positive and it honestly reflects GAF consensus even (they just hate the story for a different reason).
Good ending.

People just searching for reasons to hate Rich/Jack now, even if they don't even say anything controversial (so let's just imagine they did!).

Khezu

Review was alright.

They didn't really say anything super negative, or have a crazy outlier opinion.
Said the same thing everyone else has already said about the game.

komplanen

A good review != same opinion as me. There's so much more to reviewing games or movies. And I don't even think HitB is that good of a review show.

Rich and Jack should in my opinion focus on having fun playing video games in their live streams instead of trying to chase some 'reputable reviewer' title on YouTube.

imBask

Banned
um... no.
It's a good review, better than the gullible 10s out there. It's still mostly positive and it honestly reflects GAF consensus even (they just hate the story for a different reason).
Good ending.

People just searching for reasons to hate Rich/Jack now, even if they don't even say anything controversial (so let's just imagine they did!).

nah I like them, and yeah the ending was good

but the middle part where they talk about the silly Metal Gear-ish things sucked... that's metal gear and they would've known that if they had played the other games

I respect opinions. but you can't make a review withtout 1 finishing the game, 2 knowing what you're getting into when it's like the 8th game in a very story heavy serie

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
So it's a bad review not because it's wrong or poorly articulated, but instead because it accurately describes the game?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
I'm not sure anyone is saying this.

but the middle part where they talk about the silly Metal Gear-ish things sucked... that's metal gear and they would've known that if they had played the other games

It doesn't matter if the previous games are like that too, they aren't reviewing the series. They're reviewing MGSV and are open about their experience with the series before it starts.

inky

So it's a bad review not because it's wrong or poorly articulated, but instead because it accurately describes the game?

You are only allowed to review stuff if you liked the 5 previous entries already. It's like things can't be evaluated on their own anymore.

Context helps, but since when is it imperative?

I weep for all those people to whom this is their first Metal Gear. Even if they love it they are wrong to do so, because they don't know "that's Metal Gear" because they don't know there are other 5 games that do it too!

imBask

Banned
they make some valid point, but i'm saying context is important in a review and they usually ignore it in favor of easy jokes

at this point you're trying to put words in my mouth to push your opinion against the game, there's no point arguing with you really.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
they make some valid point, but i'm saying context is important in a review and they usually ignore it in favor of easy jokes

at this point you're trying to put words in my mouth to push your opinion against the game, there's no point arguing with you really.

And you're just disagreeing with it to push yours. We're in agreement about the last part.

Grinchy

Banned

yeah this is kinda what I assumed the whole video would be

I like watching them when they enjoy a game, at least. Their Shovel Knight and Rocket League videos were pretty good. When they don't like something, though, I always feel like their reasons for not liking it are asinine.

imBask

Banned
And you're just disagreeing with it to push yours. We're in agreement about the last part.

I hated many things about the ending but I had context. It's just a bad review, you don't review LoTR 3 without context and argue that "well that magical ring is pretty dumb and doesn't make any sense, would not recommend"

inky

The LoTR comparison is absurd. That is a trilogy of movies that set out to tell a story from end to finish adapted from existing material. You knew it was going to be 3 movies from the start, and you can certainly evaluate it in its own merits alone.

Like, I'm not even saying you don't have a point about going in completely context-less, but you are making all the wrong arguments for it.

imBask

Banned
The LoTR comparison is absurd. That is a trilogy of movies that set out to tell a story from end to finish adapted from existing material. You knew it was going to be 3 movies from the start, and you can certainly evaluate it in its own merits alone.

Like, I'm not even saying you don't have a point about going in completely context-less, but you are making all the wrong arguments for it.

if they said "the gameplay is bad" I would've disagreed but respected their opinion, because it's not related to the context of the franchise. Jack doesn't recommend the game because "the story is dumb" and it's repetitive... what does he know? he didn't finish the game he doesn't even know what the story is or was, what kind of argument is that... Repetitive is fine, he's right and it doesn't have anything to do with the previous games

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
He didn't say the story is bad. He said the characters are badly written and one-dimensional and that the tone wildly fluctuates between supernatural, goofy, and serious but shallow philosophical discussions. Yes, every Metal Gear game has these elements, but that doesn't mean he needs to have played the previous games to judge those aspects here.They also said that the story alone isn't compelling enough to draw towards the end of the game, which is just about as close to objective fact as you can get with the way this game was structured.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
unfortunately i won't be watching that review since i dont want to get spoiled. maybe in a month or something. still catching up on their streams, only on mad max part 2.

in mad max part 1 (streamed originally on august 2?) they talked about The Jar. So they shot the best of the worst that released this week back in July, apparently.

Grinchy

Banned
Well I just finished watching the video and none of my assumptions about it were right. That video was great. They readily admit that they don't know the MG universe very well and their complaints have a lot of validity.

I'd go as far as to say that it was a mostly positive review. They both seemed to really enjoy playing the game. Some of their issues with the story were personal problems that they know they might not have had if they were big fans of the series. Other issues were going to be issues no matter what (like Quiet shoving her ass so close to your face in the chopper that you can count the wrinkles in her asshole).

They also completely avoided spoilers.

The review was meh.
We already knew they'd like the gameplay and hate the story. Nothing new was said in this review.

Their best one was the Order 1886.

I agree with most of their complaints about the game, especially the pervy stuff with Quiet.

I don't understand Jack, though. He spent most of the review praising the mechanics and gameplay and it seems like he's having a ton of fun with it, then he says he wouldn't recommend it at the very end. Just odd.

Cheerilee

I don't understand Jack, though. He spent most of the review praising the mechanics and gameplay and it seems like he's having a ton of fun with it, then he says he wouldn't recommend it at the very end. Just odd.

Well, he said that the purpose of story in videogames is to give context and stakes to the gameplay, to draw you in and give you a reason to keep moving forward during times when the gameplay is getting you down.

He thought the gameplay eventually became a chore, and he had zero interest in the story, so that's what killed it for him. The gameplay by itself wasn't enough to carry the game for more than a few hours (although it was fun while it lasted). And that wasn't enough for his personal recommendation.

He prefaced his recommendation by saying that it depends on your interest in MGS-style storytelling. If you like the story, then not only will you be more willing to power through the rough patches, but the proper application of story actually enhances gameplay, so maybe there won't even be any rough patches to power through.

Well, he said that the purpose of story in videogames is to give context and stakes to the gameplay, to draw you in and give you a reason to keep moving forward during times when the gameplay is getting you down.

He thought the gameplay eventually became a chore, and he had zero interest in the story, so that's what killed it for him. The gameplay by itself wasn't enough to carry the game for more than a few hours (although it was fun while it lasted). And that wasn't enough for his personal recommendation.

He prefaced his recommendation by saying that it depends on your interest in MGS-style storytelling. If you like the story, then not only will you be more willing to power through the rough patches, but the proper application of story actually enhances gameplay, so maybe there won't even be any rough patches to power through.

Having not played MGSV nor watched the newest Pre-Rec I can generally agree with this assessment for the entire MGS series.

I can't speak for the video, but Jack cares about branding, and he's well aware that controversy raises the interest and views of YouTube videos. So, if that's his outcome of the review, it doesn't surprise me.

And, too all those that don't like Pre-Rec but continue to watch it... why? I don't like it, I've stopped watching it, and I rarely discuss it. It exists, and it's ok if I or you don't watch it. Why watch it if you don't like it?

Branding wise, the video is just over 10,000 views so...
I guess their most controversial one was the Sonic one and that one has close to quarter of a million views so that's something at least.
We'll see how this one will do.

haikira

As someone who'd consider themselves a fairly big fan of the Metal Gear series, I thought their review was actually alright. I wasn't expecting a Super Bunnyhop video from them, and rather was expecting something that represented the every man coming to the game.

They had plenty of positives to say about the game, and their negative points mostly weren't because of being ignorant to the series, although pointing out how questionable of a hero Snake is would be one, I'll admit. I actually think many of the complaints they brought up are popular ones though, even on this board. Things such as feeling "ashamed" about Quiet, or mission repetition.

Also as someone mentioned, at least there weren't any spoilers. Though I'm curious if that's intentional, or because they didn't finish the game, or at that, even finish Chapter one. They never actually mention if they completed the game.

As someone who'd consider themselves a fairly big fan of the Metal Gear series, I thought their review was actually alright. I wasn't expecting a Super Bunnyhop video from them, and rather was expecting something that represented the every man coming to the game.

They had plenty of positives to say about the game, and their negative points mostly weren't because of being ignorant to the series, although pointing out how questionable of a hero Snake is would be one, I'll admit. I actually think many of the complaints they brought up are popular ones though, even on this board. Things such as feeling "ashamed" about Quiet, or mission repetition.

Also as someone mentioned, at least there weren't any spoilers. Though I'm curious if that's intentional, or because they didn't finish the game, or at that, even finish Chapter one. They never actually mention if they completed the game.

I think they both skipped all the cutscenes. That's why there were barely any discussion about the actual story aside from the tone bits. Most of the story cutscenes they showed are from the earlier part of the game too.

You have to blind and deaf to come away with that opinion after watching their impressions

Funnily enough, I pretty much stopped playing for similar reasons. Gameplay is awesome, but after eight hours, it just felt like I was doing the same objective every mission and the story is completely nonense

Aiii

So not worth it
You have to blind and deaf to come away with that opinion after watching their impressions

Funnily enough, I pretty much stopped playing for similar reasons. Gameplay is awesome, but after eight hours, it just felt like I was doing the same objective every mission and the story is completely nonense

I want to continue, but I'm playing Mario Maker instead.

I adore the MGS series, and have finished every game within a weekends time after getting it, even MGS4 with its 1,5 hour long cutscenes. I absolutely adore these games.

But this is not an MGS game, it's a great open world stealth game, it's fun, the options are endless, the AI is great, everything is very well made. But it's just not MGS. The story is there, somewhat, but hidden. Getting Kiefer Sutherland did nothing, since it's obvious that limited the dialogue they could give Snake. And honestly, while airlifting shit is fun, I don't know why I should care about building a mother base... JUST LET ME PLAY THE GAME. (I mean, make that shit optional so I don't have to sit through endless screens of information of who I retrieved and who I want to dispatch on shitty missions that yield me rewards to build more shit. This isn't what MGS was or should be.) I mean, building a zoo with the animals you caught (pardon me, "rescued") is fun and all, but stuff like that at least is optional. Where in mother base is unavoidable, esp. if you want to develop some cool new gear.

All in all Kojima either didn't want to make another MGS game, or got too caught up in the work on the engine to remember that an MGS game should be an MGS game. There's a reason this series is popular, and it was never the core gameplay. It was the batshit crazy storylines, the amazing and memorable bosses, the soundtrack (It's there, but hidden behind 80s Pop music... I love 80s pop music as much as the next 30-something year old, but come on!)

All in all, MGS5 is an amazing game, so much to do, so many ways to play and filled to the brim with content. But in the end, it fails in the one thing it was supposed to do... Be Metal Gear Solid.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think they both skipped all the cutscenes. That's why there were barely any discussion about the actual story aside from the tone bits. Most of the story cutscenes they showed are from the earlier part of the game too.
I bet they didn't even finish chapter 1, which is fine I guess, but I would have expected who played through the game to bitch about missions like the
helicopter crash one with the skulls

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Tonight's stream is great. Jack's tales of being a farmville clown, Rich's ideas for comic books, and both of them getting furious about remembering watching The Jar. I've had it on in the background since it started, haven't done that in a long time.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I watched the Battle of the Genres finally, and I finally had the thought process

'Boy I wish Jack was here instead of Mike'

Mike was just grating during that episode. The 'isn't it funny that I'm still doing these purposefully bad jokes and playing with my bad gag flask' joke stops working after the first 5 minutes. But he just goes on and on.

Top Bottom