• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Grinchy

Banned
Is that new Fantastic Four like a fun bad movie to watch or is it just boring?

It seems like a good drinking movie.

It is decently competent for like half of the running time. Kate Mara's wig is hilarious. Drinking every time you spot it would make for a drinking game.

Overall it's just a bad movie, though.

Is that new Fantastic Four like a fun bad movie to watch or is it just boring?

It seems like a good drinking movie.

It's a very educational movie in terms of teaching you how to tell reshoots in movies and the effects of it, as well as the complete dichotomy between the writing between them.

It's basically two movies crammed into one, which is kind of why it sucks, but the Trank version would have worked, I think. Also, for all the crap that made about the adoption thing, that actually made perfect sense in the movie as intended.
I will remind you that the ultimate product is obviously crap, and not in a 'drinking movie' kind of way. But in terms of 'what can I learn from it' (and what might have been) it's worth enduring it, in my opinion. The 2005 movie is faster and better though, even if that production was clearly not as focused as Rise of the Silver Surfer either. Basically that SS movie is the only movie that feels like it was produced to actually be a Fantastic Four movie from the start.

finally watching the episode with max landis.

Outside of him fanboying over the guys, he actually kind of worked well. I mean he was a bit overbearing at points, like he was trying to stand out from other guests.

I still think he's a whiny prick in twitter though.

aravuus

Here's the thread.

It's from a few months ago, too. :p

Damn. They are salty as fuck.

e: I should probably watch the reviews some day.

finally watching the episode with max landis.

Outside of him fanboying over the guys, he actually kind of worked well. I mean he was a bit overbearing at points, like he was trying to stand out from other guests.

I still think he's a whiny prick in twitter though.

Yeah. I thought he WAS the best guest they've had, even if his fanboying was a bit over the top at times.

Yeah. I thought he WAS the best guest they've had, even if his fanboying was a bit over the top at times.

The fanboying was part of his charm, to be honest. Yeah, he did go overboard, but it was fun. I hope this isn't an isolated case and they bring more guests on like him.

Hatchtag

Banned
Is there any previously recorded stream that has more people than just Rich and Jack?

edit: The Plinkett review of TFA is sure to come, when the blu-ray is out. Plinkett will cover all that stuff don't worry.

I feel like Plinkett TFA will still happen. I kinda feel like Plinkett Jurassic World might happen at some point, too.

They also seem to have gotten the character of Kylo Ren more than the rest of the movie going audience that
are just making jokes about how he's not menacing and stuff after taking off the mask

Surprised with how much
they loved it
tbh, I came out somewhere in between Jay and Rich in my feelings towards the movie. Cool I guess but yes I fully expect a Plinkett review later on where even though he enjoyed the movie he'll still dissect it for issues.

I'm surprised how many people don't get the point of Kylo Ren in TFA and complain that "he sucks"
which is clearly the point of his character in this film.

Surprised they like it so much.
It was ok at most, but it is a good setup to move the franchise in very new and bold directions. Kinda wished
they killed of Leia as well and destroyed the Millenium Falcon to give a complete blank slate for the next movie.

I liked the least Star Wars-y stuff most to be honest and hope they go really full on crazy for the spin-offs.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
DerZuhälter;190045367 said:
Surprised they like it so much.
It was ok at most, but it is a good setup to move the franchise in very new and bold directions. Kinda wished
they killed of Leia as well and destroyed the Millenium Falcon to give a complete blank slate for the next movie.

I liked the least Star Wars-y stuff most to be honest and hope they go really full on crazy for the spin-offs.

That would be comical though and would feel forced (yes, yes haha etc). She probably won't play a big role in the future films.

Blue Lou

They made a good point about Chewbacca, in comparison to RotJ, he looked like he'd walk on set straight after a Pantene commercial.

I did, but also, it was horribly unexciting, and dumb as shit.

Can't argue with you there, most Star Wars movies aren't exactly 'cerebrally challenging' lol. Tbf you did say you don't like Star Wars so I can see why you didn't like it given it felt very much like a Star Wars film.

On the RLM review itself I too was a bit surprised with
how much they liked it overall, I think I felt most like Rich, an enjoyable film despite feeling a tad too much like a remake.

Fox Mulder

It was a bit too much like ANH, but was the film everyone needed. Hopefully they don't fuck it up going forward when they have to choose to do new things or stay safe.

They made a good point about Chewbacca, in comparison to RotJ, he looked like he'd walk on set straight after a Pantene commercial.

Maybe he had more spare time for grooming when we meet up with him compared to what was going down in the span of the OT.

UrbanRats

Can't argue with you there, most Star Wars movies aren't exactly 'cerebrally challenging' lol. Tbf you did say you don't like Star Wars so I can see why you didn't like it given it felt very much like a Star Wars film.

On the RLM review itself I too was a bit surprised with
how much they liked it overall, I think I felt most like Rich, an enjoyable film despite feeling a tad too much like a remake.
Lol, dude I was talking about Jurassic World, I hadn't even seen Star Wars 7 when I made that post.

They can do a Plinkett about movies they liked, see Titanic or Star Trek.
Infact, they can do it pointing out the difference on why this one worked (though it'd be pretty redundant, if it really is that close to ANH).
Not getting my hopes up

It's been like a thousand years since the last Plinkett review. At this point I feel like I'll probably be playing Shenmue 3, Half Life 3, The Last Guardian and the FF7 Remake before I get to watch another Plinkett review

Laputa_94

Just watched Star Wars and the review. I pretty much have the same general feeling they had and enjoyed the movie. Glad to see its everything Mike wanted.

A point I notice they've made before is that they aren't star wars mega fans. Which yeah the plinkett reviews are great but for them it must be a bit weird to have a fandom so closely associated with them.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm initially fans of them because they reviewed a bad movie I watched called Black Ninja. then i was passed their review because i mentioned i had seen it to someone. i didn't even watch or hear about the plinkett stuff until i was like halfway through the half in the bag stuff (i had no idea why they had plinkett in the review show)

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Mike's obviously a big Star Trek fan. He gets a lot more annoyed by things that are "wrong" compared to the TV show in those reviews along with the fact that he did a bunch of those reviews before touching the prequels. But all of his critique of the Star Wars movies were based just on the movies themselves, and the fact that they're really really bad.

Mike's obviously a big Star Trek fan. He gets a lot more annoyed by things that are "wrong" compared to the TV show in those reviews along with the fact that he did a bunch of those reviews before touching the prequels. But all of his critique of the Star Wars movies were based just on the movies themselves, and the fact that they're really really bad.

yeah, people seem to forget that dealing with the prequels was just a 'let's settle this once and for all' type thing.

I remember someone posted that gif of max landis high fiving Jay. And I forgot to say when I watched the episode that the gif doesn't do justice to just how FUCKING awkward that high five was.

Max hears the bad pun and happily raises the hand like a happy boy scout. And Jay stares at it for a bit like "is this fuck for real?"

haha god so awkward.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Neil Breen finds a way. They're brainstorming an all-Breen BOTW on the game stream.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Mike liking The Force Awakens is so weird. Like Plinkett coming full circle.

Fox Mulder

I loved star trek more growing up too, but what i loved about it is dead now. Pushed me to get into doctor who and I always at least liked star wars.

Mike's getting older and is probably in nostalgia mode. Why else would he love Jurassic World?

Because hating all movies was clearly getting to him. He seems happier and more coordinated in recent video's.

You can only stomach so much self-hatred for dragging yourself to movies you know you're going to hate. Similar to playing bad video games without streaming to bitch about them. Did I mention that I wasted 70 fucking hours on Final Fantasy 13 because people said it got better despite that I knew full well it wouldn't? Have I? *eye twitching*

Because I don't thin kl I hav qui te enooooou gh

Seriously, you're going to really dark places at some point.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Jay and Jack are like indie hipsters, so I know what they like. Rich will never like anything... which leaves Mike as the weirdo who can turn on a dime.

I don't know if he turned to the light side though. Then again, he hasn't shit on Rich in a while. At least not on video. lol

Grinchy

Banned
Because hating all movies was clearly getting to him. He seems happier and more coordinated in recent video's.

You can only stomach so much self-hatred for dragging yourself to movies you know you're going to hate. Similar to playing bad video games without streaming to bitch about them. Did I mention that I wasted 70 fucking hours on Final Fantasy 13 because people said it got better despite that I knew full well it wouldn't? Have I? *eye twitching*

Because I don't thin kl I hav qui te enooooou gh

Seriously, you're going to really dark places at some point.

But Jurassic World is deserving of that hate. It's strange for Mike to like such a terrible movie. Even Jay, who is much more positive in general, who recommends bad movies if they have even one good element, could see how horrible it was.

I mean considering I was expecting a movie as bad as JP2/3 to find a decently enjoyable dumb film made me like JW. Its not great and it doesn't deserve the insane money it made but its not terrible like some people make it out to be.

I mean considering I was expecting a movie as bad as JP2/3 to find a decently enjoyable dumb film made me like JW. Its not great and it doesn't deserve the insane money it made but its not terrible like some people make it out to be.

oh yes it is. It barely even has scenes. Even JP3 had more of EVERYTHING than JW had (and that started filming on an unfinished script! ). JW is a humongous piece of shit, and not in a cute "here's a literal pile of shit" reference to the first movie. Yes, JP3 had that one already.
edit: I don't feel it's necessary to explain why I think that, there are plenty of mockeries already that deal with most of them, if not all. None of it made sense. Even Max Landis knows it, and he's basically Shlock Heir Incarnate (through his dad anyway, not his own work).

And while it is strange for Mike to like something this bad (though it definitely is shlock, so on those terms him liking it is not that strange, it's just years ahead of the eventual future future Best of the Worsts that are going to have JW in it), I'm still putting that down to "puppies and rainbows", and you know, avoiding darkness my old friend.

Eidan

oh yes it is. It barely even has scenes. Even JP3 had more of EVERYTHING than JW had (and that started filming on an unfinished script! ). JW is a humongous piece of shit, and not in a cute "here's a literal pile of shit" reference to the first movie. Yes, JP3 had that one already.
edit: I don't feel it's necessary to explain why I think that, there are plenty of mockeries already that deal with most of them, if not all. None of it made sense. Even Max Landis knows it, and he's basically Shlock Heir Incarnate (through his dad anyway, not his own work).

And while it is strange for Mike to like something this bad (though it definitely is shlock, so on those terms him liking it is not that strange, it's just years ahead of the eventual future future Best of the Worsts that are going to have JW in it), I'm still putting that down to "puppies and rainbows", and you know, avoiding darkness my old friend.

Jurassic World hate is pretty fucking comical. The hyperbole is off the charts.

jman2050

The delusion some people have that Jurassic World was some universally reviled movie is one of the stranger phenomenons I've seen on this forum this year.

Just watched Star Wars and the review. I pretty much have the same general feeling they had and enjoyed the movie. Glad to see its everything Mike wanted.

I knew Mike would like it because, in his Plinkett Phantom Menace review, The Force Awakens literally does everything that mike suggested that would have made Episode I a better movie. Its almost like JJ watched it or something. I couldn't help but keep it in mind the entire time I was watching it

The delusion some people have that Jurassic World was some universally reviled movie is one of the stranger phenomenons I've seen on this forum this year.

See, I thought it was the other way around. I keep reading opinions about Jurassic World being this amazing revival that succeeds where other reboots failed without much acknowledgement that it was heavily praised and criticized.

Mike's getting older and is probably in nostalgia mode. Why else would he love Jurassic World?

Because he isn't as cynical as people make him out to be. He likes basic fun adventure/scifi. Which is what JW is. If a movie keeps it simple and doesn't screw around too much he'll probably like it.

riotous

Banned
Jurassic World hate is pretty fucking comical. The hyperbole is off the charts.
I don't think I've ever seen people so angry about a movie or state their opinion as an undefinable fact as much as I've seen with JW. Neither opinion anger or "stating opinion as fact" are rare mind you but its rampant on Internet gaming forums with JW.

As someone who thinks JW is a 2/5, I'll agree that the hyperbole is off the charts on how bad it is. What bothers me with the movie is that I found it kind of lazy and very cynical, so when stuff like it gets rewarded with huge audiences, I get bummed out that future movies will have had the bar lowered, not raised, in the "quality per box office" metric.

And, as always, it's ok to like bad or mediocre movies.

Top Bottom