• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Laputa_94

I'd figured I will come and say hi to everyone in the community. I recently started watching Red Letter Media around a month ago with the Plinket reviews having always heard them mentioned around the internet. I fell in love with the writing and production quality. Around a week or two ago I started to watch Best of the Worst and loved it so much I'm already caught up on the series. As of right now I am slowly making my way through Half in the Bag, I also bought the commentary tracks they have for movies I own and will be listening to them over the winter break.

I'd figured I will come and say hi to everyone in the community. I recently started watching Red Letter Media around a month ago with the Plinket reviews having always heard them mentioned around the internet. I fell in love with the writing and production quality. Around a week or two ago I started to watch Best of the Worst and loved it so much I'm already caught up on the series. As of right now I am slowly making my way through Half in the Bag, I also bought the commentary tracks they have for movies I own and will be listening to them over the winter break.

Nice. Welcome!

Shy

Hi, and welcome to the community. :)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey laputa, if you're into games Rich and Jack have you covered too.

So when can we expect anything about TFA? Will they both do a half in the bag and a plinkett review? I'd expect that (plinkett review later on, of course).

pretty sure they did it for star trek. But I'd assume they would only do a plinkett if they absolutely hated it. And so far reviews, both critic and audience, have been largely positive.

So when can we expect anything about TFA? Will they both do a half in the bag and a plinkett review? I'd expect that (plinkett review later on, of course).
I don't think half in the bags take that long to do, it's basically just them talking about the movie spliced with some trailer footage.

I'd imagine they'd have to wait for the home release of movie before they can even start doing any of the video capture for a Plinkett review, But I suppose they could at least start working on the script while the movies still in theaters.

Shy

Thanks I'll start posting more once new videos come out, and I continue through the backlog.
It's cool if you want to talk about older stuff in here, if you want.
They're going to see it tonight, so a new HITB in a few day i would say.

pretty sure they did it for star trek. But I'd assume they would only do a plinkett if they absolutely hated it. And so far reviews, both critic and audience, have been largely positive.

I think it would be interesting to see a positive Plinkett review. Doesn't have to be an hour and a half long. Maybe it's even less work needed because of that.

Of course, we don't know how they feel about it, yet.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
They did the Star Wars Holiday Special BotW on Christmas of last year. It's only fitting we get a TFA HitB on that day again.

That's what I'm expecting. They don't' seem to care about BoTW anymore, so no Christmas Special this year and them just doing the Star Wars HitB makes sense.
I think it would be interesting to see a positive Plinkett review. Doesn't have to be an hour and a half long. Maybe it's even less work needed because of that.

Of course, we don't know how they feel about it, yet.

His review for Star Trek 2009 was pretty positive.

Plinkette has already done a positive review of Star Trek 2009.
If he's going to do a new one for TFA it's gonna be short like his recent ones.

Hatchtag

Banned
Plinkette has already done a positive review of Star Trek 2009.
If he's going to do a new one for TFA it's gonna be short like his recent ones.

From what I've read, TFA seems like it'll be more like the Star Trek 09/Titanic Plinkett reviews. A movie he generally likes, but with enough problems for it to get an interesting discussion. I don't think they'd do like a 5 minute review for something people so clearly want.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
If you guys were Patreon supporters you'd know more about what they are doing!

Christmas BotW is already being edited.

I'm actually glad I never pulled the trigger on paetron given how little content they release now. 15 BOTW episodes last year, less than 10 this year, even if there is one more.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Ive only watched a couple episodes of previously recorded so far and I like it.
They stream on Twitch twice a week, and it's absolutely my favorite game stream to watch.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I'm actually glad I never pulled the trigger on paetron given how little content they release now. 15 BOTW episodes last year, less than 10 this year, even if there is one more.
I'm hoping with the movie done, they start doing stuff again. They must know that people only care about their reviews at this point. I don't know how much interest I have in Space Cop... but I guess at least it's not a Plinkett movie.

Also, I really do hope the next review is Ridiculous 6.

I'm hoping with the movie done, they start doing stuff again. They must know that people only care about their reviews at this point. I don't know how much interest I have in Space Cop... but I guess at least it's not a Plinkett movie.

Also, I really do hope the next review is Ridiculous 6.

same I dont give a fuck about their movies or their commentary tracks

If I want to watch a movie with commentary ill just go with MST3K or Rifftrax

same I dont give a fuck about their movies or their commentary tracks

If I want to watch a movie with commentary ill just go with MST3K or Rifftrax

I could never stand listening to Rifftrax. The comments are funny but it's all about whether I can listen to them talk and RLM works much better for me.

My only issue is when they do a track just to complain about the movie or talk exclusively about why it's not as good and a previous one. The Terminator track would have been amazing if they would just stop talking about what they think is wrong with T2. Same with ROTJ.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i never really liked MST3k because i kind of just wanted to watch the movie as it was and pay attention to that. the jokes are usually good, but can be distracting from what they're actually saying.

i have yet to try out the RLM commentaries

i never really liked MST3k because i kind of just wanted to watch the movie as it was and pay attention to that. the jokes are usually good, but can be distracting from what they're actually saying.

i have yet to try out the RLM commentaries

you don't watch rifftrax/mst3k for movies you haven't seen a million times or ones that are super bad and you wouldn't watch without a commentary track to begin with (for many this means shit like The Room or Birdemic)

you don't watch rifftrax/mst3k for movies you haven't seen a million times or ones that are super bad and you wouldn't watch without a commentary track to begin with (for many this means shit like The Room or Birdemic)

I prefer the BOTW format soo much more. I've enjoyed a few MST3K's but that only means enjoying about 20 minutes of it. With best of the worst, they just talk about 3 movies after the fact, show just a few clips from the watching room and the whole thing is a solid hour of funny.

I prefer the BOTW format soo much more. I've enjoyed a few MST3K's but that only means enjoying about 20 minutes of it. With best of the worst, they just talk about 3 movies after the fact, show just a few clips from the watching room and the whole thing is a solid hour of funny.

it's more enjoyable sure, but you are missing out on so bad it's good movies that are genuinely entertaining to watch. It won't matter if you don't enjoy these type of films to begin with though.

watching a review of birdemic with a few clips here and there doesn't do the film justice.

davepoobond

i would never watch Santa Claus Conquers the Martians more than once.

i would also probably not be able to watch Horrors of Spider Island had it not been for MST3K. a lot those movies are not really accessible otherwise, so you are kind of "forced" to watch them sometimes.

I could never stand listening to Rifftrax. The comments are funny but it's all about whether I can listen to them talk and RLM works much better for me.

My only issue is when they do a track just to complain about the movie or talk exclusively about why it's not as good and a previous one. The Terminator track would have been amazing if they would just stop talking about what they think is wrong with T2. Same with ROTJ.

I don't mind the meandering topics that much, but the one that bothered me the most was the Alien commentary because they had a lot to say about Alien 3 that was more interesting that they said about the original Alien.

Ironically, I wish they did T3 for the same reasons, but I enjoy that commentary fine.

it's more enjoyable sure, but you are missing out on so bad it's good movies that are genuinely entertaining to watch. It won't matter if you don't enjoy these type of films to begin with though.

watching a review of birdemic with a few clips here and there doesn't do the film justice.

Yeah, I think I love bad movies but I don't love watching them in full. I think you really need a dedicated crew of people for it to work. It's no fun to just watch them on your own. I STILL haven't watched the room because I can't get other people to buy into the idea of watching shit for fun.

Yeah, I think I love bad movies but I don't love watching them in full. I think you really need a dedicated crew of people for it to work. It's no fun to just watch them on your own. I STILL haven't watched the room because I can't get other people to buy into the idea of watching shit for fun.

yeah it's definitely a group experience. Get at least 2 people with you on a night you have nothing better to do, get a couple of beers and just say "hey let's watch that one bad movie everybody loves, but with the rifftrax they make jokes throughout so it's not as cringe worthy"

downside of rifftrax is that for the longest time they had a character called disembody-o, a high pitched voice that talked during certain scenes they had nothing to say. In this case in the room there's 2 very awkward sex scenes that they bring him in because they run forever.

davepoobond

i love watching bad movies by myself. dont have to argue with anyone about what awful movie to watch.

i can also appreciate watching with other people, though :p

Laputa_94

Just got done listening to the Half in the Bag commentary track for Alien. I really enjoyed it. It was very laid back and they had a lot of intresting conversations. I was intrested to hear that Mike and Jay enjoyed Alien 3, since I have never watched it for having heard it wasn't so maybe i'll give that a go in the furture. Also a semi related note Alien on blu ray looks fantastic.

Aiii

So not worth it
You can't complain about "out soon" not being within 18 hours, or even within a day or two.

Soon is just that, soon. It's not even that they said "out today" or anything.

Blue Lou

I've just watched that Crypt of the Necrodancer video. I like their gaming chats. Rich reminds me of Charlie Day, I think it's the voice.

Top Bottom