• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Sulik2

As someone who thinks JW is a 2/5, I'll agree that the hyperbole is off the charts on how bad it is. What bothers me with the movie is that I found it kind of lazy and very cynical, so when stuff like it gets rewarded with huge audiences, I get bummed out that future movies will have had the bar lowered, not raised, in the "quality per box office" metric.

And, as always, it's ok to like bad or mediocre movies.

We got to watch a
T-Rex and a raptor fight a genetically engineered super dinosaur that is then eaten by a giant water dinosaur.
What exactly more did you want from JW? That was one of the most entertaining sequences I have ever seen in a film, even though it was ridiculous. It was an incredibly fun movie and made the box office to back up that people like fun movies.

We got to watch a
T-Rex and a raptor fight a genetically engineered super dinosaur that is then eaten by a giant water dinosaur.
What exactly more did you want from JW? That was one of the most entertaining sequences I have ever seen in a film, even though it was ridiculous. It was an incredibly fun movie and made the box office to back up that people like fun movies.

"We got to watch Yoda fight the Emperor in a lightsaber duel. What exactly more did you want from Revenge of the Sith? That was one of the most entertaining sequences I have ever seen in a film, even though it was ridiculous. It was an incredibly fun movie and made the box office to back up that people like fun movies." *

Honestly, I'm just not passionate enough about JW to argue about it one way or the other with people, but if that's your argument? Ok.

Then again, with the new Star Wars movie out, all tons of people are coming out of the woodwork to defend or praise the prequel trilogy, so that might be considered praise by people nowadays and not a sarcastic response.

I mean I'll be honest, my biggest complaint with TFA now that I've had more time to digest is that it doesn't really have
a big iconic ship battle like the other 6 films had.
. Also while I get the praise for
the duel between Rey and Kylo not being over the top jedi shit like the prequels... I do kind of hope that once they get trailed by Luke/Snoke that they do add some more fancy elements to their rematch

I think JW gets that sort of hate because there are glimpses of a really good movie in there, but ultimately the movie is bad in all the ways that modern "this needs to sell in China" blockbusters are bad, and its undercurrent of cynical pandering really rubs people the wrong way.

Compare it to Into Darkness, which was a much worse film, and bad in pretty much the same ways as Jurassic World, but somehow one that I hated less than JW (I still hate it, though). While they were both creatively bankrupt trojan horse remakes of better movies, Jurassic World sort of teased a topical and critical (and somewhat self-referential) movie in the first act, before it crumbles under typical 2015 Hollywood bullshit. It feels worse to watch than a movie that starts awful and ends awful.

Oreoleo

"We got to watch Yoda fight the Emperor in a lightsaber duel. What exactly more did you want from Revenge of the Sith? That was one of the most entertaining sequences I have ever seen in a film, even though it was ridiculous. It was an incredibly fun movie and made the box office to back up that people like fun movies." *

I get the point you're making, but to me the difference is Yoda and the Emperor are established characters with personalities who need motives, arcs, etc etc. The trex is a dinosaur and doesn't carry all that baggage and can just wreck shit and we as the audience can sit back and enjoy it without questioning the why's and the how's that would otherwise go along with it. (Not to say that the human characters in JW are super fleshed out or anything)

Is JW great? No. Could it have been worse? HELL TO THE YES. But it's a fun monster movie that doesn't take itself too seriously or get bogged down in bullshit. That's really all it needed to be.

Anth0ny

The delusion some people have that Jurassic World was some universally reviled movie is one of the stranger phenomenons I've seen on this forum this year.

Yeah I really don't understand the hatred at all. It's a 6 or 7/10. Not great, but far from bad.

I think Mike is just so cynical that basically any competently-done movie does it for him, these days. Let's not forget he was a big booster of Jack and the Giant Beanstalk Killer Man, just by virtue of it being kind of watchable.

Salsa

half in the bag with star wars

that moment with Mike going all silly childlike saying "I loved it, it was everything i'd hoped itd be"

made me real happy

And I think that people who can't see how horribly written the movie is are terrible judges of movies.

Just because I like Jurassic World for turning into horribly dumb action shlock in the second half doesn't mean I can't enjoy well written movies or realize well written movies are better then JW. The only JP film written well is the original which is an all timer classic film for a reason.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I enjoyed Jurassic World enough to eat popcorn and have some fun but I also think it's a particularly flawed narrative that spends far too much time fixating on dialing nostalgia and superficial interpretations of the original to 11 for the sake of loud, bombastic set pieces that in the grand scheme of things hold no weight. Maybe I need to be younger to appreciate it, but I don't really consider it a return of Jurassic Park beyond "there were dinosaurs and that's cool".

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I still wish there was a Ridiculous 6 review. Particularly since they can use footage from the entire movie to make whatever point they want to make.

(But yay! lol)

Sephzilla

@ the Jurassic World talk. I think a majority of the hate the movie gets comes from the movie actually being pretty good in the first half and then turning into a really brain dead monster movie in the moment the dinosaur gets loose.

How can anybody be particularly surprised about a blockbuster getting hate that you need to find logical reasons for it? Anyone who's defending Jurassic World probably also hates a number of blockbusters in the last few years. You seen the Hobbit films? I like them, a lot of GAF hates them. You seen Transformers. Tons love them, a lot of GAF hates them. You seen Mad Max, I thought it was ok, a lot of GAF loved it. The reason you think there's large spread love and large spread hate for all these movies is that everyone goes see them and it's not hard to share an opinion. Get enough people together and the hyperbole will start.

Also, Jurassic World sucked.

The ending of Death Wish 3 really is something magical.

6WCDPxm_dg.gif

I finally got to watch HitB 100 and it was so nice to see Mike being happy. It was also very weird.

After watching their discussion, I looked the director and writer for Episode VIII up and now I'm really worried (it's the guy who did Looper). I wished they brought that up when they discussed where the story is going from that point on.

I still need to watch the Death Wish movies.

Invasion USA is legitimately amazing though. It's everything Reagan-era distilled into 90-120 minutes. The best Chuck Norris movie.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
When I opened the page he was asking the chat if this would even be a better than mediocre zombie movie if it weren't a game and now he just said that he hates everyone. I'm pretty sure he likes the game.

Just my two cents on the Jurassic World, my biggest problem with the movie wasn't the dumb action blockbuster stuff, that was all good fun. My problem was that all the of problems come from the park people being grossly incompetent. I really felt for the characters in Jurassic Park because the catastrophe was not of their doing, it was because the one jerk sabotaged everything. Meanwhile in Jurassic World, I had a hard time giving a crap about anyone except the kids because it was really the employees' fault everything went wrong in the first place.

Why does some random security dude have the ability to open the loading door? Why does it only take one key card? Why can it be opened from the inside at all? Why is there not an airlock style pair of security doors? Why does their first line of defense use cattle prods that require them to get close enough to be eaten? Etc, etc, etc.

The whole thing was caused by a never-ending parade of incompetence. It was still an enjoyable "spectacle" movie, or as my friend says, a "popcorn movie." But that reason above is, in my opinion, the key that kept it from being above average.

On a different note, I was glad to see that they enjoyed The Force Awakens. They echoed some of my minor quibbles and some of my praises for the movie, plus pointed out some cool things that I had missed. As my brother said while grinning as we left the theater "Is this what it's like to be excited for the next Star Wars movie?"

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The whole joke is that people constantly ask Rich to play The Last Of Us during streams even though he's constantly said he's not interested in it.

Because everyone who's played Last of Us needs everyone else to know that they need to play it and that they will enjoy it no matter what and if they don't, they are wrong. Like Bloodborne.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The thing is that TLOU people really have no defense for their biggest complaint - cutscenes suck. They fucking tore apart The Order, and I can only imagine the cry babies if they did the same to a Naughty Dog story.

Top Bottom