• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

They're not wrong about a lot of it, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.

Rich: "I think that's supposed to be the Flash"

When I reached that segment I had no idea wtf was going on or why it was happening. It was probably supposed to actually be the Flash, but in the context of how the scene start it's like it's a dream or somehow induced by Luthor's data or something. It was incomprehensible wtf that was.

Grinchy

Banned
Rich: "I think that's supposed to be the Flash"

When I reached that segment I had no idea wtf was going on or why it was happening. It was probably supposed to actually be the Flash, but in the context of how the scene start it's like it's a dream or somehow induced by Luthor's data or something. It was incomprehensible wtf that was.

There were quite a few scenes that didn't provide any kind of proper context. When the thing said, "Am I early?" I just assumed it was someone who had a time-traveling ability. I had no idea it was the Flash. I don't know the vast majority of the DC characters so I just assumed it was someone who would be in the Justice League that I've never heard of. But then they make it look like it was part of his dream, which as these guys point out, makes no sense.

It's the same with Wonder Woman's truth lasso. I don't really know anything about WW, so seeing her go from sword and shield to using a lasso out of nowhere was very strange. I was vaguely aware of her lasso, at least.

13489947905_783d23ab68_o.gif

It's funny that Jack mentioned the Fountainhead, when I read Snyder wanted to adapt that everything just made so much sense. It might even be a wrong assumption and maybe even unfair to Zack Snyder but it fits too well to ignore.
Thinking back on MoS it does make a lot more sense as an Objectivist superhero movie, even if you assume that Snyder isn't necessarily a bad storyteller but just completely out of touch with how non-Randians think.

What bothered me most about the movie at first wasn't Superman's characterization, but Zod's. Traditionally Zod was the dictator, he had a certain level of nobility and intelligence, but what put him into conflict with Superman was his authoritarianism. In MoS he was just a brute who yelled at people and punched things and had a shitty villain plan only because it's what he's genetically programmed to do. But it makes sense from an Objectivist point of view because the conflict between Superman and Zod isn't altruism vs authoritarianism, but the value of self-worth and self-interest. Zod only cares about himself as an instrument of the Kryptonian state, and his only self-worth is in the legacy of his people, but Superman is special because his conception was natural, and he cares about himself and the people he loves (not people in general, obviously). The neck snapping scene at the end wasn't about Superman dealing with whether or not it's okay to kill (because obviously he doesn't give a fuck) but it was essentially Zod, who has nothing left to lose, making it clear to Superman what the price of his individuality is.

Basically, Superman only saves people because it's the burden of his individuality and his expression of his self-worth and power. It seems like he's bummed about it because he sort of is.
They're saying Superman destroyed Metropolis of MoS? Wasn't 99% of the damage done by the World Engine?

But I definitely agree with their thoughts on Lex's and Supes's motivations (or lack of)

Isn't the world engine only there because Superman's there?

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
It would be great if they never acknowledged this ever again. What clown?

They're not wrong about a lot of it, but it's not quite as bad as it sounds.
Everything I hear about this movie makes it sound like it functions more like a buffet table than a film. There's an incoherent list of different stuff to choose from, you might hate most of what you see but you may find something that resembles comfort food to you, so don't expect a standard meal here.

Grinchy

Banned
Everything I hear about this movie makes it sound like it functions more like a buffet table than a film. There's an incoherent list of different stuff to choose from, you might hate most of what you see but you may find something that resembles comfort food to you, so don't expect a standard meal here.

I definitely have a list of complaints that's not insignificant. However, the movie is still a decently entertaining ride the first time through. I consider movies like Amazing Spiderman 2 and Thor 2 to be essentially unwatchable. But there is some competency in BvS. There are slight elements done well that at least make it worth watching for people who are fans of Batman and Superman.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
So with the TFA copies being delivered already, what's the ETA on the next Plinkett review? Surely he did all the Plinkett sketches already and has most of the script thought out?

Also I wonder if he'll be able to upload the thing to Youtube considering the recency of the release when compared to the other films he has done.

BigAT

So with the TFA copies being delivered already, what's the ETA on the next Plinkett review? Surely he did all the Plinkett sketches already and has most of the script thought out?

Also I wonder if he'll be able to upload the thing to Youtube considering the recency of the release when compared to the other films he has done.

Fair use is fair use, regardless of when the movie was released. Not that Youtube is the best at protecting video creators against invalid copyright claims.

inky

Their episode 3 review is down right now with a copyright claim by some company called SME, LOL.

I remember Jurassic World being down for a while as well, but that came back like in a week. People should ask them about that stuff during the streams. It could be interesting to see how often they get those things.

Their episode 3 review is down right now with a copyright claim by some company called SME, LOL.

I remember Jurassic World being down for a while as well, but that came back like in a week. People should ask them about that stuff during the streams. It could be interesting to see how often they get those things.

Shmi.jpg

?????

She wasn't even in Ep. 3!

I finally caught up with the RLM Batman V Superman talks.

I really enjoyed the Pre Rec one as they had more time to go over it. The Half in the Bag episode barely scratched the surface of the train wreck.

I really enjoy the conversational aspect of RLM reviews the most. They can really bounce stuff off each other and expand on stuff.

I just wanted to check out some of the bigger youtube reviewers as I never really had much interest in them and I didn't realize Jay was parodying them in the Ghostbusters trailer reaction video as well as seeing what other thoughts were out there for BvS.

I guess Jeremy Jahns and Chris Struckman are the two big ones out there. They both seem so vapid in their reviews of Batman V Superman. I see that Batman being liked was a fairly universal belief, but they are so shallow on their overall thoughts on the movie. Even going into their spoiler videos not much is said.

The worst one I saw was Kevin Smith's spoiler review. That shit was pretty much reading someone elses plot point write up and when he starting to realize something was messed up he would go "I am not saying it was bad" to almost apologize for the movie.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think a couple of Plinkett reviews use Notorious BIG tracks. Bad Boys records are owned by Sony.

Top Bottom