• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

saw this in the FB feed

had to share amazing

WxERMK0.jpg

Dio

Banned
lol it always comes back to this

We don't know what happened but them no longer being together is likely as she has COMPLETELY disappeared from RLM.

I thought she completely disappeared from RLM because people were being extremely creepy towards her so she decided to not appear anymore, et cetera. I remember hearing about that.

Dio

Banned
Whatever the reasons she left, sucks that she did. I liked her.

They mentioned her on a Pre-Rec stream. Somebody had a question about merchandise, and Jack said ". ..that's a question for Jessi". She's still around, but she must have quit appearing in videos.

This reddit post from 4 months ago seems to indicate she is still around. It's just that from everyone I've talked to, it seems to be that creepy internet stalkers/her "fanbase" are to blame for her not appearing lately.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
Let's get into the head space of Jessi for a second.

You're a normal human being. Your boyfriend does silly videos for the internet. You appear in some.

You go on Reddit and there are now two separate subs about you.

This reddit post from 4 months ago seems to indicate she is still around. It's just that from everyone I've talked to, it seems to be that creepy internet stalkers/her "fanbase" are to blame for her not appearing lately.

Honestly if that comment about Jessi was real, then it's all the weirder that they wouldn't have called out the sub reddits/creepy fanbase instead of always seeming to avoid answering what happened to her.

It'd be so much easier to say "some of you creeps scared her off, so that's on you" or some shit. It truly is a shame though, having in her in BotW was the best.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
They definitely need to bring back Gillian or something, just to get another woman in there to help diversify things.

I thought she completely disappeared from RLM because people were being extremely creepy towards her so she decided to not appear anymore, et cetera. I remember hearing about that.

The way Rich and Jack keep avoiding to answer whenever people ask about Jessie has convinced me that she's only involved with RLM in a superficial way.

It also explains Mike's coincidentally timed bout with alcoholism.

And his obesity. Horrible morbid obesity.

Honestly if that comment about Jessi was real, then it's all the weirder that they wouldn't have called out the sub reddits/creepy fanbase instead of always seeming to avoid answering what happened to her.

It'd be so much easier to say "some of you creeps scared her off, so that's on you" or some shit. It truly is a shame though, having in her in BotW was the best.

Oh shit, what comment was this??

And fuck Reddit, seriously. Scumbag's paradise.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
The thing that I'll take from Batman vs Superman is I feel really bad for Ben Affleck.

Because he seems like the only person that gave a fuck or had any kind of talent or played a character resembling the actual character.

Cheerilee

They commented about Jessi in one of the past X-Com streams, they mentioned she's still around, just in the background.

The weird thing is, she apparently stopped "producing" PreRec around the time she went invisible. And producing is about as "background" as you can get.

Maybe "she's still around here, somewhere" is one of those serial killer quotes that has hidden meaning. Like, RLM caught up with her after she stole the Patreon Money, and then they chopped her up and hid the pieces around the studio. She's "in the background" because her blood was used as wallpaper glue.

Nah, that doesn't work, Mike's too lazy to kill. That's why Jessi left him.

UrbanRats

The only annoying part of their BvS review (though i haven't seen the movie) is their point about Super Hero movies having to be fun escapism.
That's not true, they just have to be good, like any other genre of movie.

The only annoying part of their BvS review (though i haven't seen the movie) is their point about Super Hero movies having to be fun escapism.
That's not true, they just have to be good, like any other genre of movie.

I think their point is that it isn't appropriate for such a large general audiences movie to fetishize violence and destruction so much, since it's the joke they keep coming back to. The difference between the Nolan trilogy and the Synderverse (outside of Nolan actually making good movies) is that even though the Nolan movies tackled the same themes, it dealt with those themes with the correct amount of levity and seriousness, while Snyder's movies generally had a gleeful sado-masochism to their violence.

There's also the general sentiment that "mature" entertainment means more violence and sex, which is ironically the most immature opinion to have about entertainment. The "it's not for kids!" defense for the DC movies sort of irks me, because they're not for adults either.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Just got back from Batman v Superman.

Eh, it was entertaining. At least more than the last two Spider-Man movies.

The review was spot-on though. Good stuff.

Sad thing is I don't even know which of the dozen BvS threads in OT to post my thoughts in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Post em in here if you want.
I dunno. I don't think it makes sense to put spoilers in this thread. I asked my questions in the official Spoiler thread.

My spoiler-free thoughts are just that it was entertaining. I went in expecting a train wreck, but it was a bit "better" than I thought it would be, but not the best thing ever. I think it'll be more memorable than Man of Steel was though. I can't remember much from that.

Then again I don't remember ANYTHING from the two Amazing Spider-Man movies except the Rhino tease at the end of the second.

Now if only I could go see Deadpool so I could watch that review. And 10 Cloverfield Lane. I don't want to spoil myself for either of those movies so I'm holding off on watching those two reviews.

Shy

I dunno. I don't think it makes sense to put spoilers in this thread. I asked my questions in the official Spoiler thread.
Yeah, i can understand that.
My spoiler-free thoughts are just that it was entertaining. I went in expecting a train wreck, but it was a bit "better" than I thought it would be, but not the best thing ever. I think it'll be more memorable than Man of Steel was though. I can't remember much from that.

Then again I don't remember ANYTHING from the two Amazing Spider-Man movies except the Rhino tease at the end of the second.
Ahh. Gotcha.
Now if only I could go see Deadpool so I could watch that review. And 10 Cloverfield Lane. I don't want to spoil myself for either of those movies so I'm holding off on watching those two reviews.
I've not seen Cloverfield, but i saw deadpool again last night. Soo good.gif

UrbanRats

I think their point is that it isn't appropriate for such a large general audiences movie to fetishize violence and destruction so much, since it's the joke they keep coming back to. The difference between the Nolan trilogy and the Synderverse (outside of Nolan actually making good movies) is that even though the Nolan movies tackled the same themes, it dealt with those themes with the correct amount of levity and seriousness, while Snyder's movies generally had a gleeful sado-masochism to their violence.

There's also the general sentiment that "mature" entertainment means more violence and sex, which is ironically the most immature opinion to have about entertainment. The "it's not for kids!" defense for the DC movies sort of irks me, because they're not for adults either.
I haven't seen BvS, but Man of Steel didn't seem to fetishize violence or destruction any more than Avengers did.

You can argue they weren't able to back the serious tone, with a deeper script or a more mature sensibility (and i'd agree there) but the choice to go serious instead of the usual self referential, self aware humor you have in all Marvel movies (which have gotten pretty damn formulaic, by now) is not, in and out of itself, a bad decision.

After all the idea of using superheroes to tackle more serious, real world issues is hardly anything new.
Watchmen probably being the most blatant example.

What i'm getting at, is that the fix for these DC movies is not to copycat Marvel and go full colorful slapstick, but just hire some directors and scriptwriters interested in a bit more depth than wondering if what's on screen is or isn't "cool and badass".
Something interesting may actually come out of it.

Cheerilee

I mentioned The Killing Joke in regards to BvS earlier in this thread, and it got me thinking.

In The Killing Joke, Alan Moore (original creator of The Watchmen) wanted (among other things) to explore how far one would have to push Batman in order to break his "no kill policy". This was non-canon, so he was allowed to go there. He ended up with... Joker shoots, paralyzes, and sexually assaults Barbara Gordon, and takes pictures of the assault, in an attempt to mindbreak her father, Commissioner Gordon. The Joker ultimately fails to break Commissioner Gordon before Batman rescues him, but Joker hadn't considered the Batgirl connection (Batman secretly also sees Batgirl/Barbara Gordon as a daughter), combined with Batman seeing Gordon as a father figure, that causes Batman to break instead of Gordon, and the comic ends with Batman strangling Joker to death.

Critics and audiences loved this story, and DC made it canon, although DC naively insists that the canon end to the story is "Batman and Joker are hugging." It's completely ridiculous. It makes the "no kill policy" a joke. What would it take to make Batman kill if even that isn't enough? But then I thought to myself "Why would DC act like that?" and the answer is obvious. Because it's a fucking comic book. Batman doesn't kill because killing is bad, and because he lives in a cartoon world where he doesn't need to kill, and his moral stance against killing is always right.

That's why it doesn't matter that Zack Snyder was able to craft a plausible scenario where Superman had to break his no-kill-rule and snap Zod's neck in order to save lives, because Superman stops being Superman once you start cramming him into these scenarios. Superman doesn't exist in the real world and he shouldn't. Which BTW, should not be stretched to mean that Superman shouldn't be in movies.

Zack Snyder shouldn't be making Justice League movies. He wants to be making Watchmen movies. Give the DC movies to someone who actually understands and loves DC, like Bruce Timm or Paul Dini. People say that ragging on the Snyderverse just means you're biased towards Marvel, but from Batman the Animated Series to Justice League Unlimited, the DC Animated Universe kicked ass and crushed any cartoon Marvel could hope to put together. Mike said that the problem with DC movies is that outside of Batman and Superman, DC has shit characters? Go watch Justice League Unlimited. JLU revels in DC's shitty characters, and makes them awesome, which is exactly what DC needs. Iron Man was a shitty character before someone did him right, and now he's practically the face of Marvel Movies.

Cheerilee

If the Killing Joke arc worked for Batman (before DC chickened out) why wouldn't it work for Superman though? I don't get it.

Because there's no coming back from it. Batman can't be Batman anymore after it. It undermines the whole "Batman doesn't kill" thing (to the point where some people nowadays think that part of Batman is a joke). Batman's core is "guy in a cape runs around punching bad guys" but once you start exploring the deeper implications of things, they start to fall apart. Now Batman needs to change in response to things, but when your franchise is built on an iconic character, change can be bad.

Exploring deeper themes is great for a one-off non-canon side story, but DC chickened out because they have a status quo to maintain. DC's mistake wasn't chickening out on the ending to The Killing Joke, it was bowing to critical acclaim and canonizing The Killing Joke in the first place.

UrbanRats

Well that's one of the reasons why i had problems getting into superhero comics as a kid (or any comicbook that went on forever).
Every time there's some character evolution, they'd find a way to revert back, it was utterly frustrating.
But even then, you can do it for a movie series, you can do it for a spin off non-canon thing.
Simply because you're going to reboot it in 3 movies' time, like they did with Spiderman.

So Superman killing in the Snyderverse, is not really a big deal.

Top Bottom