• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

It was funny in one of the Half in the Bag skits when Mike did an "impression" of Plinkett and Jay said it was terrible, just because in the HinB context Rich Evans' Plinkett is the real one.

I know, I remember that. Pretty awesome. I think Rich embodies Plinkett very well and is pretty funny, but Mike will always be the voice.

SnvUF.jpg

Quite possibly the hardest I've ever laughed at anything. Plinkett reviews are great and all, but man I love Half in the Bag.

Anyone remember the video ages ago where Plinkett was teasing the next review? It had Crystal Skull, Matrix sequels and I think Lord of the Rings. The latter one would be pretty well timed if it's coming soon.

Izick

You guys think Kill Bill is a bad movie?

Let me try to explain this in my best Pinkett impression....

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Die Hard 4 would be a really good candidate.

That or Terminator 4, but I think Die Hard would be better.

Grinchy

Banned
Die Hard 4 would be a really good candidate.

That or Terminator 4, but I think Die Hard would be better.

I watched DH4 with my brother one night, and we basically did our own Plinkett review during the movie. There is so much illogical shit in that movie. I would like to see that review, but I'm hoping more for The Matrix sequels.

border

Are RedLetter reviews intended for people who HAVE seen the movie they are reviewing, or for people who HAVEN'T seen the movie they are reviewing?

I watched their Prometheus review and was kind of annoyed at how much they tried to avoid any kind of story spoilers, outside of a 2-3 minute section where they warned everyone to fast-forward if they didn't to hear want spoilers. It's a difficult movie to critique without getting into plot. But I figured what the hell, they don't want to ruin the film for their audience, even if it means a fairly vague and toothless review.

Then I watched their Sinister review, where they intentionally spoil the ending of the film in the first few minutes of the video with no warning or explanation whatsoever. It seems completely disrespectful to viewers that might want to see the film but haven't yet. Their review was maybe 65% negative and 35% positive....not enough to justify such a dick move by saying "Oh this movie is so bad it doesn't matter if we spoil it for you!"

I dunno if it's worth really discussing their spoiler ethics, but I'm just curious if people that regularly watch RedLetter stuff think it's good for films you haven't seen yet. After the Sinister review, I really doubt I'll be relying on them to tell me about anything I haven't already seen.

Are RedLetter reviews intended for people who HAVE seen the movie they are reviewing, or for people who HAVEN'T seen the movie they are reviewing?

I watched their Prometheus review and was kind of annoyed at how much they tried to avoid any kind of story spoilers, outside of a 2-3 minute section where they warned everyone to fast-forward if they didn't to hear want spoilers. It's a difficult movie to critique without getting into plot. But I figured what the hell, they don't want to ruin the film for their audience, even if it means a fairly vague and toothless review.

Then I watched their Sinister review, where they intentionally spoil the ending of the film in the first few minutes of the video with no warning or explanation whatsoever. It seems completely disrespectful to viewers that might want to see the film but haven't yet. Their review was maybe 65% negative and 35% positive....not enough to justify such a dick move by saying "Oh this movie is so bad it doesn't matter if we spoil it for you!"

I dunno if it's worth really discussing their spoiler ethics, but I'm just curious if people that regularly watch RedLetter stuff think it's good for films you haven't seen yet. After the Sinister review, I really doubt I'll be relying on them to tell me about anything I haven't already seen.

You watch them for entertainment. And when it comes to a movie like Sinister, they just assume that nobody gives a shit, so they spoil it. When it comes to a movie like Prometheus, which actually has some substantive stuff to it and a large, almost cult following, they warn about spoilers.

You guys think Kill Bill is a bad movie?

Let me try to explain this in my best Pinkett impression....

Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaa?

Dunno about what other people think, but I did not enjoy it even a little bit. I'm aware that it was deliberate, but with everything so ridiculously exaggerated and disconnected from reality all it ended up being was a bunch of stupid looking martial arts fights connected by a paper thin story. I also hated the random anime interlude.

UrbanRats

You watch them for entertainment. And when it comes to a movie like Sinister, they just assume that nobody gives a shit, so they spoil it. When it comes to a movie like Prometheus, which actually has some substantive stuff to it and a large, almost cult following, they warn about spoilers.

Yeah, also i watched the Spiderman review even though i hadn't seen the movie, it was more entertaining anyway.

border

I don't think Prometheus deserves the kind of special "NO SPOILERS!" respect they give it, nor does Sinister deserve the "Ha-ha we ruined the movie for you completely!" bullshit they pull either. They're both barely above mediocrity.

It's almost more of a disservice to Sinister. If someone who had seen Prometheus told me "
Everyone dies and the scientist flies off into space in an alien ship with a talking severed robot head
" I probably still would have seen it just out of curiosity. If someone who had seen Sinister told me "
The daughter gets possessed by a demon and murders the rest of the family
" I probably just would have skipped it. A more thoughtful narrative doesn't need the plot to drive you through it, whereas a more straightforward horror movie does.

Cheerilee

I went into this a bit on the previous page.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43644367&postcount=884

A journalistic review's purpose is telling you if you will like a movie or not, without getting into anything that will hurt the experience if you do intend to watch it. An academic review will break a movie down and judge it.

Plinkett is an academic review, so you need to watch a movie first to get the full effect of it. Siskel & Ebert is a journalistic review, so it's almost useless after you've seen the movie.

Ebert commented (after the Episode 1 review) that Red Letter Media had a great future in movie reviews if they chose to go that route, and they seemingly did choose to go that way with Half in the Bag, but if they're actually trying to put out a journalistic review, then they're kind of failing at some of the basics, because they do spoil things, and most people seem to want to watch the movies before they watch their reviews, and those who don't occasionally regret it.

I think they're a cross between a lite academic review and RLM-style filmmaking. Everyone should just assume that there are always spoilers in HitB, and RLM should ditch the spoiler warnings and the thin "would you recommend this movie" conclusions.

TCRS

Banned
I resisted watching the review for Star Wars: Episode III because RLM totally destroyed the first two movies for me and I actually liked Ep III... until now. God, I don't think I can ever watch Ep I-III again...

Jb

I resisted watching the review for Star Wars: Episode III because RLM totally destroyed the first two movies for me and I actually liked Ep III... until now. God, I don't think I can ever watch Ep I-III again...

Same. And I remember telling my buddy "This was pretty good!" at the end of Ep 3 when I saw it in theaters :(

Davey Cakes

Same. And I remember telling my buddy "This was pretty good!" at the end of Ep 3 when I saw it in theaters :(
Well it was pretty good, considering that it was a sequel to Ep II. The standards and expectations were low. It was good for the prequels but that's not saying much.

In the end I don't want to agree with Plinkett on everything but the review is spot on in terms of the stupidity of the movie overall from a plot and character perspective. I loved the ending light saber duel when I watched the movie in 2005 but now that I'm older I see why it was pointless and why the light saber duel in A New Hope was more impactful in a meaningful way even though as a fight it was more pathetic in terms of choreography.

And yeah they really did shit on Darth Vader. Most but not all people realized this at first but the story of Anakin is shit through and through.

What killed me in that review was the list of ways that Palpatine could have been discovered. Everyone in the movie was a moron, even the Jedi council and Yoda! The entire prequel trilogy is like that; the movies are made so that specific events happen even if actual sense from the characters has to be sacrificed in the process. There's no sensible buildup to anything, and the story goes certain places only because it has to, per the script.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Most of the episode 3 review was a general review of Lucas.

But episode 3 really was still bad.

Izick

I went into this a bit on the previous page.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=43644367&postcount=884

A journalistic review's purpose is telling you if you will like a movie or not, without getting into anything that will hurt the experience if you do intend to watch it. An academic review will break a movie down and judge it.

Plinkett is an academic review, so you need to watch a movie first to get the full effect of it. Siskel & Ebert is a journalistic review, so it's almost useless after you've seen the movie.

Ebert commented (after the Episode 1 review) that Red Letter Media had a great future in movie reviews if they chose to go that route, and they seemingly did choose to go that way with Half in the Bag, but if they're actually trying to put out a journalistic review, then they're kind of failing at some of the basics, because they do spoil things, and most people seem to want to watch the movies before they watch their reviews, and those who don't occasionally regret it.

I think they're a cross between a lite academic review and RLM-style filmmaking. Everyone should just assume that there are always spoilers in HitB, and RLM should ditch the spoiler warnings and the thin "would you recommend this movie" conclusions.

Honestly, they just don't seem to care.

I mean, back in the old days they wouldn't even mention if there'd be spoilers or not. I think they just knew that their content was good enough to keep people coming back, and they'd get views no matter what. It's kind of like the Giant Bomb guys, as they don't really give a fuck about fans because they know people are going to like the content and watch it. They really almost both seem like they're doing it themselves, for fun, if that makes any sense.

LakeEarth

I am of the opinion that you should not watch RLM reviews of anything you intend to watch. I waited until I saw Looper before watching the review, and I stopped it before they got into Dredd because I haven't seen it.

inm8num2

Good Skyfall review.

When are they going to talk about the Lucasfilm sale to Disney? They've hinted at it a couple times.

HALF IN DA BAAAAG

the paranormal activity one was solid as a rock. i was like snorting milk out my nose when he went on the PA4 ride through the house

"ohh those are nice countertops!"

"thanks i just got those installed yesterday!"

*thump*

Mariolee

Wow, I'm surprised they liked Skyfall. I mean, I liked it too, I just had a bad feeling they'd get hung up on the plot nonsense. Suppose not.

GashPrex

NeoGaf-Gold™ Member
I don't know how you talk for 20 minutes about Skyfall and not mention the amazing cinematography. Some of my favorite shots I've ever seen in a movie.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Wow, I'm surprised they liked Skyfall. I mean, I liked it too, I just had a bad feeling they'd get hung up on the plot nonsense. Suppose not.
They've always been god at finding the core focus of the movies and focusing on those aspects. Plot nonsense like that has always been part of the Bond franchise, hence why they kept interlacing the review with footage of silly schlock in previous movies.

Top Bottom