• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Grinchy

Banned
The reason you're not seeing Jerry on screen is because one has to be in front of the camera to be captured by the camera. I learned this from Jacqueline.

BigAT

XujHL.gif

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Is it worth it (As a PreRec fan) to watch the E3 Extravaganza? I don't actually care about Microsoft or Sony but don't mind watching stuff about them as background noise. I'm mostly Nintendo. What do they talk about? It's 3 hours, should I bother? Is it like a normal PreRec episode or just them commentating over E3 streams?

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

wtf

Is it worth it (As a PreRec fan) to watch the E3 Extravaganza? I don't actually care about Microsoft or Sony but don't mind watching stuff about them as background noise. I'm mostly Nintendo. What do they talk about? It's 3 hours, should I bother? Is it like a normal PreRec episode or just them commentating over E3 streams?

what i saw of it, was basically reactions while they are watching trailers. from what people are saying in the thread, its just them shitting on everything, so if you like that then i guess its up your alley

Grinchy

Banned

If you want to watch them take steaming dumps on everything that isn't Detroit and Zelda, go for it. As horrible as their gaming opinions are, I still found it pretty entertaining. I skipped through it, though.

I think you should like the last 30min about Zelda (Jack just praising zelda; a small discussion about the gender thing)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post meant to edit it in.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
what i saw of it, was basically reactions while they are watching trailers. from what people are saying in the thread, its just them shitting on everything, so if you like that then i guess its up your alley

If you want to watch them take steaming dumps on everything that isn't Detroit and Zelda, go for it. As horrible as their gaming opinions are, I still found it pretty entertaining. I skipped through it, though.

I think you should like the last 30min about Zelda (Jack just praising zelda; a small discussion about the gender thing)

EDIT: Sorry for the double post meant to edit it in.
I'll just check out the Zelda stuff then. Is it all consolidated at the end then? I'll find it. I mean I guess I could watch the whole thing on 1.5x speed but eh... That's still like 2 hours.

Strimei

I'll always love Independence Day. Yeah, its pretty garbage, yeah its dumb, yeah its schlocky cheese. And that's why I love it.

That said, I agree with what a lot of what they're saying.

(I think the alien exo-skeleton design was pretty neat, though)

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Hey Shy, like a ton of people around here I appreciate your effort for the PreRec content, and I think your idea to take it to the gaming side's thread is very cool, since I always hoped that one would grow more. Win/win, and maybe it means more people check out the gaming stuff.

Weird how much Mike dislikes Independence Day considering how much he likes schlock.
Yeah. I don't get how you can like Jurassic world and shit on ID4. Independence Day is dumb as hell but I do feel like most people realized that at the time. It was a movie made for first graders. I do think that the main characters give some interesting and memorable performances. That speech at the climax is legit a great movie moment.

I do wonder how they feel about the original Mummy movie with Brendan Fraser. I just rewatched it and thought it had the perfect balance of schlock and charm. The second one went completely off the rails, though.

Hey Shy, like a ton of people around here I appreciate your effort for the PreRec content, and I think your idea to take it to the gaming side's thread is very cool, since I always hoped that one would grow more. Win/win, and maybe it means more people check out the gaming stuff.

I feel it's not likely to grow by much, it'll likely be kept alive by a small community of loyal fans. Which works just fine. That's how many many game channel communities work out. Game Grumps is one of the biggest ones, and by comparison the jontron community is a smaller community.

Sblargh

Banned
I loved the first re:view episode because they were just so happy talking about the movie and why it works and I thougt re:view would be this: movies they like and why they like it.

The second episode already kind of derailed it and now it's a movie they both dislike. And I have no love for ID4 and had no idea people were protective about it. I liked the big explosions when I was a kid, watched a few years later and like "yeah, this is stupid" and moved on.

I guess I just wanted to see more of them loving stuff, since best of the worst stuff they like obviously have that asterisk of "this is good... for a bad movie". I have no problem with them calling ID4 a stupid movie, but I wanted them to talk about more movies they don't think are stupid.

I loved the first re:view episode because they were just so happy talking about the movie and why it works and I thougt re:view would be this: movies they like and why they like it.

The second episode already kind of derailed it and now it's a movie they both dislike. And I have no love for ID4 and had no idea people were protective about it. I liked the big explosions when I was a kid, watched a few years later and like "yeah, this is stupid" and moved on.

I guess I just wanted to see more of them loving stuff, since best of the worst stuff they like obviously have that asterisk of "this is good... for a bad movie". I have no problem with them calling ID4 a stupid movie, but I wanted them to talk about more movies they don't think are stupid.

I mean so far it's 3 likes to 3 dislikes which I'm totally cool with they don't need to love every film they re:view and there is no gatuntee a film they liked back in the day will hold up under re:view

John Dunbar

correct about everything
i'm ok with them choosing independence day since the sequel is just coming out, but i do hope that going forward re:View concentrates more on movies they actually like or at least appreciate.

Yeah. I don't get how you can like Jurassic world and shit on ID4.

Yeah, as much as I enjoyed Jurassic World for its spectacle, I feel like for every dumb decision made by a character in ID4 that the movie presents as serious and a good decision, Jurassic World had ten. Jurassic World just had so many instances where characters made extraordinarily stupid decisions, and the movie expected us to care about and feel bad for those characters when those decisions inevitably go horribly wrong. ID4, on the other hand, I felt like the characters in general made good decisions, it seemed like most of their complaints were with bad screenwriting technique rather than the characters themselves being stupid. But I dunno, maybe Mike likes that? Maybe the characters being the stupiderist people ever is a feature for him?

NR1

I love ID4 movie. I still have no idea why they, or anyone else for that matter, hate it. Every single one of their complaints seem like reasons why they should love it. Fun cast. Fun concept. Big spetical. Good balance between comedy, action, cheese, and drama. Takes itself just seriously enough to be fun, but still realizes what it is. That epic presidential speech at Area 51 before the climactic battle... GREATEST OF ALL TIME!

Hate for ID4 is like hate for Ghostbusters II-- I never knew it existed until I got on the Internet. Oddly enough, RLM hates that film too.

For the record, I was 10 when the original was released in 1996. Also, ID4, Stargate and The Patriot are the only Emmerich films I care for.

NR1

I believe the word "dumb" has been uttered a few times during the video.

Again, that doesn't explain why they hate ID4, but seemingly love the likes of Miami Connection and The Room. Those movies are dumb too. I love going to The Alamo Drafthouse when they have The Room quote-along showings which are consistently sold out. The Room is dumb, but people love it. I can't get any of my friends or family to go to it, because they say the clips on YouTube looks so stupid. I try explaining that is what makes it great, and they just look dumbfounded.

There is good dumb, bad dumb, and dumb that is so profound that it somehow manages to become great. That is ID4.

As someone who hasn't watch Independence Day, I have some mixed feelings about this episode, the discussion was amusing, really liked the fake storyline they did near the end there. but the movie sounds fun, none of the criticism they throw at it made it look like a bad movie (well maybe the too many characters one), just samplistic, which I really don't mind from this type of action movie.

Erigu

There is good dumb, bad dumb, and dumb that is so profound that it somehow manages to become great. That is ID4.
I'd say it's firmly in "bad dumb" territory. It's not just dumb by itself, it also assumes the audience is even dumber.

Valtýr;207794096 said:
I enjoy ID4 but the problem with it is that it's dumb without thinking it's dumb.

This, stuff like Miami Connection thinks it's a serious movie and fails because it's dumb/nonsensical which makes it great. ID4 falls into the terminator gensys school of dumb where it doesn't seem to know if it wants to be a smart sci-fi or a dumb action shlock and doesn't really excel at either.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i'm ok with them choosing independence day since the sequel is just coming out, but i do hope that going forward re:View concentrates more on movies they actually like or at least appreciate.

Didn't they say in the first one they would be doing both since people always ask what their opinion is on these older movies?

Not sure why a positive-only review series would be interesting, really

Sblargh

Banned
Didn't they say in the first one they would be doing both since people always ask what their opinion is on these older movies?

Not sure why a positive-only review series would be interesting, really

Revisiting classics (and the notion that something like tremors count as a classic is delightful to me) is a great theme, in my opinion.
I see a lot of value in talking about something that is a good example why you love this medium so much.

I feel the opposite about PreRec tho and really like them the more they tear down games that are part of some big hype machine, but maybe that's because I am on neogaf and therefore hate videogames.

Top Bottom