• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

The explanation just boils down to "we don't want to" and hey that's all to them.

Oh I agree, aonuma should have just slammed the door "link will always be male deal with it" with a "maybe we'll do a zelda or linkle focused game down the road". Instead they waffled trying to give a non answer to not upset people which just further upset people.

Cheerilee

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. Would you guys prefer if i didn't post the Pre-Rec stream notification. ?

Cause i know you guys don't really feel it anymore, and i don't want to be a bother.

I sometimes watch the stream if I'm bored and then you post the link. If you didn't post the link, I'd just be bored. Or I'd go outside and get some sun, or find something productive to do with my life, or some other horrible thing. I'd say keep posting the links. They're not bothersome.

Murphy's Law says that you're going to keep posting them, but that I'm never going to have free time while they're streaming ever again, and your efforts will be completely wasted on me.

I've been thinking this for a few weeks now. Would you guys prefer if i didn't post the Pre-Rec stream notification. ?

Cause i know you guys don't really feel it anymore, and i don't want to be a bother.
If my post above didn't make it clear, I would be fine if you never post a notification again.

Which makes me feel bad. I feel like you're doing a service and almost assuredly not being paid for it, and I'm sitting here telling you to not do something that people may be counting on.

Basically, I started this thread as a place where people can get their RLM content and discuss it. So if that includes you linking RLM shit I don't care about, then so be it. It really affects me very little. Do what makes you happy, man.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i rarely watch live anymore since my work schedule changed up. i do still enjoy the banter back and forth when watching on youtube, but im not really enthused by their analysis of games other than learning more about how weird they are

Hey Shy, maybe it's because I'm not good with new internet-y things and Twitch, but if you didn't post the update on new streams, I'd never know one was happening that day, and I like the streams. I like to watch them when I see one is happening, but if you weren't posting about them, I wouldn't be able to. I'm not saying you HAVE TO keep posting about it, but it's been very helpful for me.

I like the idea of having the stream posted because they can, at least when Jay's around, talk about more RLM-type things like movies or tv shows or behind the scenes or whatever. But, since there's a Pre-Rec thread, it'd be nice if that thread was used as well for the game discussion stuff.

But that's probably just me since I've already explained my feelings on Pre-Rec and their video game videos.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Every time I see the acronym for the new Zelda my mind has to make a double take to make sure it's not called The Legend of Zelda: Best of the Worst.

Thanks a lot, fat hack frauds.

Shy

I sometimes watch the stream if I'm bored and then you post the link. If you didn't post the link, I'd just be bored. Or I'd go outside and get some sun, or find something productive to do with my life, or some other horrible thing. I'd say keep posting the links. They're not bothersome.

Murphy's Law says that you're going to keep posting them, but that I'm never going to have free time while they're streaming ever again, and your efforts will be completely wasted on me.
If my post above didn't make it clear, I would be fine if you never post a notification again.

Which makes me feel bad. I feel like you're doing a service and almost assuredly not being paid for it, and I'm sitting here telling you to not do something that people may be counting on.

Basically, I started this thread as a place where people can get their RLM content and discuss it. So if that includes you linking RLM shit I don't care about, then so be it. It really affects me very little. Do what makes you happy, man.
For what it's worth, your link is about the only time I ever think to check out their stream.
Hey Shy, maybe it's because I'm not good with new internet-y things and Twitch, but if you didn't post the update on new streams, I'd never know one was happening that day, and I like the streams. I like to watch them when I see one is happening, but if you weren't posting about them, I wouldn't be able to. I'm not saying you HAVE TO keep posting about it, but it's been very helpful for me.
I like the idea of having the stream posted because they can, at least when Jay's around, talk about more RLM-type things like movies or tv shows or behind the scenes or whatever. But, since there's a Pre-Rec thread, it'd be nice if that thread was used as well for the game discussion stuff.

But that's probably just me since I've already explained my feelings on Pre-Rec and their video game videos.
Ok. so this is what i think i'm going to do, let me know if this is something everyone is comfortable with.

For the next couple of weeks, i'm going to to post the stream notifications (doing my best to post which game, and if Jay is there) here as i usually do.
Then i'm going to start posting them in the offical Pre-Rec thread, from there on.

The reason to continue posting them here for a couple weeks, is to give everyone enough time to sub to the other thread before switching over.

Best of the Worst hype .

lZA9qF5.jpg

Lost it at "Chief Grandpa"

Ok. so this is what i think i'm going to do, let me know if this is something everyone is comfortable with.

For the next couple of weeks, i'm going to to post the stream notifications (doing my best to post which game, and if Jay is there) here as i usually do.
Then i'm going to start posting them in the offical Pre-Rec thread, from there on.

The reason to continue posting them here for a couple weeks, is to give everyone enough time to sub to the other thread before switching over.
You're gonna likely run into the problem that almost no one cares enough about pre rec to go subscribe to the other thread, so you may end up double or triple posting

Oh I agree, aonuma should have just slammed the door "link will always be male deal with it" with a "maybe we'll do a zelda or linkle focused game down the road". Instead they waffled trying to give a non answer to not upset people which just further upset people.

I mean, to be fair, the dude is Japanese speaking in a second language. Part or all of the "waffliness" of his response may have been due to him speaking a foreign language and the fact that his native language tends to be extremely indirect. And really, it's not like being direct would have solved anything. It might have avoided some fans poking fun, but the real hate would come regardless of how he phrased the response.

I mean, to be fair, the dude is Japanese speaking in a second language. Part or all of the "waffliness" of his response may have been due to him speaking a foreign language and the fact that his native language tends to be extremely indirect. And really, it's not like being direct would have solved anything. It might have avoided some fans poking fun, but the real hate would come regardless of how he phrased the response.
The hate came from people reading way too much into his vagueness before to which he apologized, but they build this whole shit up seeing things that weren't there and when it didn't happen they blame Nintendo.

The hate came from people reading way too much into his vagueness before to which he apologized, but they build this whole shit up seeing things that weren't there and when it didn't happen they blame Nintendo.

I'll say the Breath of the Wind situation is whatever. I have no strong feelings one way or another. But there was a stronger point with Triforce Heroes and how you have three different color male Links. The New Mario Wii games were the same. You had Mario, Luigi, and two toads as playable characters...because the plot dictated Peach is taken captive.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Thanks for the feedback. I'll go away and have think.
Just a feeling i get from when i try to interact with them, as opposed to others in the chat.

Though i do regret putting that in my post, i shouldn't have made my own worries/problems like that puplic. Sorry.
LOL. Yeah.
Who are you in the chat?

I'll say the Breath of the Wind situation is whatever. I have no strong feelings one way or another. But there was a stronger point with Triforce Heroes and how you have three different color male Links. The New Mario Wii games were the same. You had Mario, Luigi, and two toads as playable characters...because the plot dictated Peach is taken captive.

To be fair they did "fix" that with 3d world where peach and rosalina are playable and its the sprixies that are captured

peakish

But if Peach is a player character, what are the toads going to do?

Maybe not every stream but I do think those featuring "core four" or those containing significant movie discussion have a place here. I don't really game a lot so I don't have any interest in just seen them playing some esoteric game and commenting on their experience, but I do respect their opinion so something like the E3 stream which cover a lot the big releases does interest me.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
But if Peach is a player character, what are the toads going to do?
Well, the yellow one can go away. And the blue one should just be Toad the toad. Not just a toad. The actual Toad.

Peach should be not kidnapped more often. I loved 3D World's return to the SMB2 style of choosing your character on a level by level basis. It should be how Mario games work from now on.

At the very least, Luigi as a choice at all times.

Well, the yellow one can go away. And the blue one should just be Toad the toad. Not just a toad. The actual Toad.

Peach should be not kidnapped more often. I loved 3D World's return to the SMB2 style of choosing your character on a level by level basis. It should be how Mario games work from now on.

At the very least, Luigi as a choice at all times.

Mario galaxy 2 basically let you pick mario or luigi after a fairly early point in the game

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
Mario galaxy 2 basically let you pick mario or luigi after a fairly early point in the game
Yeah, but NSMBW dropped the ability to play as Luigi in single-player at all and it sucked. Even the Wii U version locks you to Mario if you play 1-player. That's complete bullshit. In a Mario game, I should be able to play as any of the playable characters at any time, even if you have to unlock it first. But it's so inconsistent.

3D World was my favorite because it let you play as anyone, had 5 playable characters, each with different abilities, and even had benefits to playing and beating every level as every character. It was the perfect Mario game and I hope all Mario games after it follow its lead.

The frustration isn't from not being able to play as a female link, because it's such a miniscule request and isn't a dealbreaker for anybody. The problem is Nintendo repeatedly demonstrating that they have no idea why players are asking for the option, which is why people keep trying to explain it to them.

It's similar to the Smash community's frustration with Nintendo not understanding why anyone would want to play Smash competitively.

Basically, Nintendo are the Pre-Rec of game developers in terms of willful ignorance and not listening to their audience.

The frustration isn't from not being able to play as a female link, because it's such a miniscule request and isn't a dealbreaker for anybody. The problem is Nintendo repeatedly demonstrating that they have no idea why players are asking for the option, which is why people keep trying to explain it to them.

It's similar to the Smash community's frustration with Nintendo not understanding why anyone would want to play Smash competitively.

Basically, Nintendo are the Pre-Rec of game developers in terms of willful ignorance and not listening to their audience.

But in both situations you're talking about a vocal niche in a massive fan base. Based upon the threads on gaf alone most people either don't care or think the controversy is asinine and that Nintendo just made a dumb comment but shouldn't make a female Link just to please a few vocal whiners. Even if everyone who wants female link boycotted zelda until it happened odds are they'd never make a meaningful impact on sales to change Nintendos mind. Also I'd argue Street Fighter 5 proves Nintendo continues to make the right call ignoring the niche hardcore smash fans in favor of catering to the party fighter crowd since smash 4 has done a lot better sales wise which is all Nintendo really cares about.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
But in both situations you're talking about a vocal niche in a massive fan base. Based upon the threads on gaf alone most people either don't care or think the controversy is asinine and that Nintendo just made a dumb comment but shouldn't make a female Link just to please a few vocal whiners. Even if everyone who wants female link boycotted zelda until it happened odds are they'd never make a meaningful impact on sales to change Nintendos mind. Also I'd argue Street Fighter 5 proves Nintendo continues to make the right call ignoring the niche hardcore smash fans in favor of catering to the party fighter crowd since smash 4 has done a lot better sales wise which is all Nintendo really cares about.
I... what? Citation needed on basically everything? Can you explain all or at least some of this?

edit: lol, I forgot this was the RLM thread

Cheerilee

I don't even know what anyone is talking about anymore.

RLM has a regular series called Best of the Worst (shortened to BotW).

Nintendo has a new Zelda game called Breath of the Wild (shortened to BotW).

"Every day we receive thousands of terrible ideas for our next Zelda game. Some are so fucking weird we don't exactly know what to do with them."
(Pictured above, a layer of unintentional comedy.)

People requested a playable female hero in Zelda (possibly via a genderswap).

The game's producer shot down the need for a genderswap because they already have a serviceable female character. Although she's not the hero, she's actively banned from becoming a hero because she's the damsel in distress, duh.

And then he shot down the idea of a female hero because it would disrupt the "gender balance of the Triforce", a story device he just pulled out of his butt to explain away the possibility of a female hero. Apparently two dudes, one chick is God's chosen 3-way. Two chicks, one dude, that's just madness.

And then he explained that Nintendo has always wanted girls to visualize the hero as a female, but that it can never go beyond a fantasy for girls. Only boys get the real experience of playing an avatar that matches their gender.

It's the top story of E3.

Grinchy

Banned
I don't even know what anyone is talking about anymore.

I tried to get us talking about Jay's magnificent beard, but gender arguments are just too tempting for today's internet users.

When are we finally going to get a Space Cop sequel starring a female Space Cop? It's 2016 already!

Yes. Women: the most niche minority there is. But in all seriousness the player base is just a collection of different niches which overlap, there's no reason to mischaracterize something as fringe or spite certain groups because you feel like you're a bigger Nintendo fan, especially over something completely harmless.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Rewatching some one BOTW.

I wonder if there's cut footage of Colin actually passing out laughing, because he looks really, really close to it sometime.

Top Bottom