• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Joeku

Rich missed the stretch goal part where Inafune kept promising more content and more platforms as the ks money continued to rise.

Moreso than that, they both commented on the nature of what this kickstarter project was and then both said they didn't really follow it.

Maybe don't comment on the nature of a game's development and release if you don't know much about the nature of a game's development and release.

Moreso than that, they both commented on the nature of what this kickstarter project was and then both said they didn't really follow it.

Maybe don't comment on the nature of a game's development and release if you don't know much about the nature of a game's development and release.

This too, at the same time their point "this isn't the worst game ever it's just mediocre/average" is accurate since people have lined up to crucify MN9 for about a year now.

komplanen

Rich and Jack know nothing about what they are talking about. More news at 11.

Love them to death as part of RLM videos and when they just focus on playing a game they like on livestream, but every time they try to have something of worth to say they put little or no effort to it. Also it's obvious they don't follow even an average amount of gaming news and community discussions so they are desperately out of the loop.

Personally I think they are fully aware of this but keep doing it because they still get views so why change anything? Can't blame them.

Got a chance to watch GB yesterday and couldn't help but think of a couple of things Rich said as I walked out that I imagine they will bring up if Rich is on the Half in the Bag review.

The reactor on the top of the Ecto-1 is more convenient than "don't cross the streams" and the use of the Ecto-1 to reverse the portal is just a tiny step down from using the Empire State Building as a trap. They used the Ecto-1 itself as a trap in a sense.

Aiii

So not worth it
Mike is having so much trouble staying focused in the past 10 minutes. Guy needs to drink more, can't hold his liquor.

Calcium

Banned
Yep, that's about what I expected RLM to say after seeing the movie. I didn't hate it anywhere near as much as they seemed to, but I do admit they are 100% right. After watching this review I really want to watch the original again.

Rockk

They were on point this episode. Some quality bits in this episode.

It also helps that I agree with their assessment of the film.

liquidtmd

Banned
When he was waving around the half empty Crystal Skull and talking about how Charles Dance should have been in the film, all doubts about Mikes sobrietry were confirmed

NR1

I watched the Ghostbusters last night and absolutely hated it. Just horrendous, IMO. I would say I'm just as fanatical as Mike and Rich

I suspect Mike and Rich will hate it across the board. The spetical of the effects will turn them off. The crude jokes will not land for them-- I rolled my eyes when every lowbrow joke landed with huge laughs with the audience. The villian wasn't interesting-- aren't good heroes made by great villians? That's what makes the hero interesting? Cinematography was flat and boring. They may like the chemistry between the busters, but I never felt like their banter reached the original's level of greatness. I think the only thing Mike will enjoy is that it ended and that the originals still exist for him to love and watch... And perhaps a certain cameo by a certain actor that he clearly cares for.

Jay... Yea... It's hard to say what he is going to think. I think it will be more or less along the same lines as Mike, but maybe a bit more forgiving.

I enjoy GB2 and have never understood the hate that film gets. I would like the believe that they will both have a greater appreciation for that film now, but I won't hold my breath. I suspect that they will say despite all its flaws, at least the reboot attempted to do something different.

I want to see a Plinkett review of this and if Mike feels the way I do about it, I fully expect to see one after The Force Awakens.

I was pretty damn close, but hell, they didn't even give it a "despite its flaws..." to its credit. Without a doubt I laughed way harder during their 45 minute review of the film than the actual film.

Calcium

Banned
I was pretty damn close, but hell, they didn't even give it a "despite its flaws..." to its credit. Without a doubt I laughed way harder during their 45 minute review of the film than the actual film.

For sure. I had fun with the movie, but 90% of my smile/laugh reactions were "this is so dumb" kind of responses. I honestly can't remember an example of a good joke in the movie.

D

Deleted member 57681

Unconfirmed Member
Really, Jay hit the nail on the head there at the end. Yeah internet, you wasted your time.

imBask

Banned
Jay having to specify that there's no shame in hating that movie for the right reasons makes me sad, because he's right and some people don't understand that

I know they didn't mean it like that but I felt a small disturbance of the Force when they brought up the old Ghostbusters with the gorilla in it. It was like a millions of tweets were going off or something.

Oh wait it was just people harassing the black actress and calling her a gorilla on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg (happening right now)

There's a thread about it.

sigh.

They only now found out that show existed? It wasn't exactly secret.
You know, aside from the actual racism of it.

btw, what was the Die Hard joke?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I know they didn't mean it like that but I felt a small disturbance of the Force when they brought up the old Ghostbusters with the gorilla in it. It was like a millions of tweets were going off or something.

Oh wait it was just people harassing the black actress and calling her a gorilla on Twitter.

https://twitter.com/Lesdoggg (happening right now)

There's a thread about it.

That was brought up on Double Toasted a few days ago first.

edit: Haha, that ending was perfect. The last line of the HitB endings are always great.

Rydeen

Kind of surprised they were so pissed off about this movie.
I'm not. The first Ghostbusters is a movie that Mike feels a strong affection towards from his childhood, it's probably his favorite thing media-wise outside of Star Trek and the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sometimes I wish these guys had more connections in L.A. because I could see Mike being a great Ghostbuster in some alternate universe where he, Charlie Day, Hannibal Buress and Danny McBride were the new Ghostbusters picking up the mantle. That's my dream cast right there.

My wife and I were entertained for two hours and got quite a few laughs during that time...but the RLM review is on point and their criticisms are very valid.

It's not a well-written film, and it's not even a "good film", but it was a good time and whether or not you found it funny depends largely on what brand of comedy you like and what kind of mood you were in (and what your expectations were).

lmao Mike
"Except for those of you in China who want to see it, well you probably can't because your communist government thinks it's witchcraft."

jman2050

When Mike faked everyone out all I could think about was the "Nah I'm just kidding" gag from the Phantom Menace (or was it AOTC) review.

Boney

Banned
My jaw almost dropped when he said the " I loved it" in his guilty tone. What a fake out lmao. Fun review, the touch on how the trailers were even worse than the movie but it doesn't mean anything when the movie is juvenile comedy trash. It got Melissa Mcarthied into please god let it end type of movie. Seems pretty clear that Feig didn't know absolute shit about how to make this movie work. It's been said he pitched it but I'd assume Sony was begging for pitches in order to get one blockbuster after all the disasters.

Haven't seen it but other than we're gonna gender bend it with famous hip comedians (I love Kirsten Wiig), that's where the Feig stayed during the whole process. They mention the out of character improvisation. Most of the jokes seemed derived on gender identity and gender in culture, in the most simplistic and ham fisted way (queefs and dick shots really?). And the ghost busters element seems tacked on just because it's trying to be a bankable ip, disregarding the ip in it's entirety with such a huge tonal shift but taking as much imagery as humanly possible out of it.

Still bummed out about the nasty people that are mysoginy fueled and do hurtful things and that people need to end up sticking up for such a horrible product, but it seems to be the story of the year regarding movie production.

I'm not. The first Ghostbusters is a movie that Mike feels a strong affection towards from his childhood, it's probably his favorite thing media-wise outside of Star Trek and the original Star Wars trilogy.

Sometimes I wish these guys had more connections in L.A. because I could see Mike being a great Ghostbuster in some alternate universe where he, Charlie Day, Hannibal Buress and Danny McBride were the new Ghostbusters picking up the mantle. That's my dream cast right there.
The guys are too witty to be in Hollywood and their trademark black humor would have no place. Movie executives fuck everything up and promote yes men like Feig in this instance. And honestly why would you want to be part of the decaying corpse of Hollywood that's proudly creatively bankrupt. Even their good friend Max Landis writes terrible screenplays and he feels above the usual Hollywood garbage.

But! I'd be totally on board with that cast shape the movie. But then I remember that not even Charlie Day is safe from terrible movies.

Rydeen

The guys are too witty to be in Hollywood and their trademark black humor would have no place. Movie executives fuck everything up and promote yes men like Feig in this instance. And honestly why would you want to be part of the decaying corpse of Hollywood that's proudly creatively bankrupt. Even their good friend Max Landis writes terrible screenplays and he feels above the usual Hollywood garbage.

But! I'd be totally on board with that cast shape the movie. But then I remember that not even Charlie Day is safe from terrible movies.

Oh don't get me wrong I totally agree, but sometimes I wish these guys, especially Mike, could get a little more mainstream interest, mostly I wish and hope for them to succeed on their own terms, I guess. I'm glad at least people like Tim Heidecker and Patton Oswalt recognize their genuine talent and wit.

Oreoleo

Tangentially related to RLM, but I've become something of a Max Landis fan (his YT channel anyway) since his appearance on HITB so maybe some of you might also be interested to know that the movie he directed, Me Him Her, just hit Netflix in the past day or two. I'm gonna give it a watch right about now.

https://www.netflix.com/title/80096896

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
yeah no surprises for Ghostbusters. i hate melissa mccarthy, she is not funny at all.

i am surprised that Jay said Leslie Jones was the best part. the trailer made her look awful

TI82

Banned
Seems the movie, like Jurassic World, was created as a nostalgia farm for marketing money. And yeah, Melissa McCarthy is the female Adam Sandler except she didn't even have a good beginning.

I support strong women in entertainment but this seems to not be the next big hit.

Top Bottom