• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

ZoddGutts

RLM will have to review Power Rangers first and somehow find a way to say something that provokes him into responding.

Doesn't that movie have like half a dozen writers? He may have written an earlier draft. If the movie is bad he'll just respond on he's own youtube channel.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just thought about this: if this GB movie had been made in the 90s and was directed by someone competent, it would have had Chris Farley, David Spade, and Norm MacDonald (and I say that as someone who never liked Chris and David, but Norm is awesome).

No idea who could have been in this nowadays because I don't watch TV anymore, but I'm guessing someone competent would have been able to find comedians like those that already have a great chemistry and it would have worked.

Boney

Banned
None of Landis' script made it into the final draft.
Surprise!

Somehow ended up listening to his Batman vs superman pitch and my head was spinning in circles trying to follow it. He's too over the top and can't structure properly. If he didn't have that last name he wouldn't be anywhere near where he is today.

komplanen

You mean rise?

I wasn't thinking straight.

maxresdefault.jpg

Cheerilee

Watching some old Best Of The Worst... Why did Jessi leave the show?

They never really talk about it. Supposedly she took a more invisible, backseat, behind-the-camera role in RLM, to the point where she doesn't even get credited anymore on the behind-the-scenes work she regularly does (she used to be the "producer" of Pre Rec, but not anymore), possibly because she got fed up with internet creeps acting creepy.

The meme is that she stole the keys to RLM's Patreon account and ran off to [insert exotic location here] to live the good life, leaving Mike a drunken, betrayed shell of a man.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I've never seen any of the Mad Max movies. Even the new one. I even avoided their HITB review of Fury Road because I didn't want to spoil myself. But should I bother avoiding this re:View too? I want more content. Ugh I should just watch them. But... I have no time. Too many internet videos to watch. Who has time for movies?

I think Fury Road is better but Road Warrior isn't obsolete because of it. Road Warrior is a fantastic film but Fury Road is expertly crafted in every facet.

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
I think eventually RLM puts out an opinion that suddenly alienates a fan and, by god, they may have just done it for me by calling Road Warrior obsolete.

obin_gam

I've never seen any of the Mad Max movies. Even the new one. I even avoided their HITB review of Fury Road because I didn't want to spoil myself. But should I bother avoiding this re:View too? I want more content. Ugh I should just watch them. But... I have no time. Too many internet videos to watch. Who has time for movies?

The Real Abed
Perma-Junior
(Yesterday, 08:40 PM)

No surprise these schlubs think Mad Max 2 is better than Mad Max 1.

Technically it is the better movie of the two. Overall it does has much better pacing a tighter narrative and editing. Also the bigger budget did help flesh out the movie universe more. The original Mad Max is still a masterpiece in low budget '70s era guerilla film making, but it still has its issues. It really showed the inexperience that Miller had as a film maker at the time, but also showed off of a lot of ingenuity as well. The original Mad Max was a self funded movie with no studio backing, while Warner Bros. supplied a $2million dollar budget for the second movie. Comparing Mad Max to Mad Max 2 is like comparing Sam Raimi's Evil Dead 1 to Evil Dead 2.

To me The Road Warrior does feel more grounded than Fury Road. It may be on a much smaller scale, but the movie still exhibits some pretty skillful filming, stunt driving and stunt work. The story is very simple and straight forward, but also captures a really desolate universe. Fury Road takes that premise and ramps it up to 11 with its $150 million dollar budget.

I like all of the Mad Max movies for completely different reasons, but I do feel like Thunderdome is the weakest link for me. Thunderdome does start out strong but I didn't like the direction in went in for the second half of the film.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

you should watch them. I would probably skip Mad Max, though. Just watch Road Warrior, Beyond Thunderdome and Fury Road.

i just didnt enjoy the first Mad Max at all, honestly. it was soooo boring until the end when it got good. the Interceptor is in it a lot, though.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Their opinions on the movie itself make total sense, although I disagree in some areas, but I can't help but feel like they miss a lot of the context around the whole controversy leading up to release. Meh

Boney

Banned
Was watching the ghostbuster hitb again and I just LOVE the tone in which Jay introduces the movie.

The most politically divisive film of the year

Their opinions on the movie itself make total sense, although I disagree in some areas, but I can't help but feel like they miss a lot of the context around the whole controversy leading up to release. Meh
Yeah they don't acknowledge the legions of mysoginysts but I think they just don't really know about it, since they come from a position of great admiration of the original and how this movie just apes the ip. To them it seems like the people that are angry are the fans that just thought the trailer looked terrible from the trailer and that started a feminism campaign for the movie to counter the negativity instead of the deep seeded mysoginy from online communities.

Either way it doesn't impact on the actual quality of the movie, which by all accounts seems incredibly juvenile and tacky.

Boney

Banned
The idea of it being obsolete is so alien to me. They obviously share a similar structure, themes and visual presentation, but road warrior will always be one of the best guerrilla film making out there and you appreciate in that context.

Fury Road is hands down the best mainstream movie to have come out in decades, and while it has a lot of craftsmanship put into it unlike present peers, it is being made with almost an unlimited scope. Which of course was even harder to realize with the way the went about it instead of cg and green screens.

Re:view however, other that Tremors which is a fantastic episode, really took a nose dive on the quality discussion. They really prepared for Tremors, especially Mike, and they (re) introduce you to the movie by covering the structure, techniques and pivotal scenes. The rest of the re:views however aren't prepared as well and are discussions loosely centered on the movie, having expected you to have seen it and doesn't have the in depth discussion. I feel it's partly because either Mike has been missing or he doesn't like the movie.

Either way, I wonder if they end up making a Plinkett review for Ghostbusters. The Force awakens one will be so boring. I want a Howard the Duck one first though!

Ashby

Road Warrior is more badass than Fury Road. And part of what makes it great is something Jay got wrong: Unlike in Fury Road, Max never gives a shit about these people in Road Warrior. The big reveal is that the tanker is filled with sand instead of gas. Max was such a piece of shit they had to trick him just like he was one of the bad guys.

megamerican

SMH at both of them saying Fury Road made Road Warrior obsolete. While it's a great movie, Rich actually made me realize what my disconnect with Fury Road was, it's just too composed. From the look to the action, it's just too pretty and too choreographed.

The Road Warrior just seems like a more dangerous movie. Fury Road never recreates that vibe even if every other aspect is heightened.

Cheerilee

To me The Road Warrior does feel more grounded than Fury Road. It may be on a much smaller scale, but the movie still exhibits some pretty skillful filming, stunt driving and stunt work. The story is very simple and straight forward, but also captures a really desolate universe. Fury Road takes that premise and ramps it up to 11 with its $150 million dollar budget.

Someone I watched Fury Road with was bitching about how they took things up to 11, and talking about how it all seemed to make some kind of sense in Road Warrior but it broke his suspension of disbelief in Fury Road.

I argued that it was acceptable in Fury Road because we live in a world where Road Warrior exists. Road Warrior shaped the way everybody looks at post-apocalyptic, and a Mad Max sequel didn't need to rock the boat, all it needed to do was turn things up a notch which is what they did and it was awesome.

I think Fury Road loses something if it just takes you from zero to 11. You need a Road Warrior to take you up to a 9 or so, and then once you've gotten used to that, Fury Road takes you up to 11. In that sense, Road Warrior can never be obsolete.

Fury Road made Beyond Thunderdome obsolete.

Someone I watched Fury Road with was bitching about how they took things up to 11, and talking about how it all seemed to make some kind of sense in Road Warrior but it broke his suspension of disbelief in Fury Road.

I argued that it was acceptable in Fury Road because we live in a world where Road Warrior exists. Road Warrior shaped the way everybody looks at post-apocalyptic, and a Mad Max sequel didn't need to rock the boat, all it needed to do was turn things up a notch which is what they did and it was awesome.

I think Fury Road loses something if it just takes you from zero to 11. You need a Road Warrior to take you up to a 9 or so, and then once you've gotten used to that, Fury Road takes you up to 11. In that sense, Road Warrior can never be obsolete.

Fury Road made Beyond Thunderdome obsolete.

It doesn't make me forget about Thunderdome. Thunderdome really isn't the same type of movie at all. It was going for a George Luca styled Star Wars adventure feel and had that weird storybook element to it. To be honest, it is a fascinating movie with an interestingly crafted world that is now pretty iconic. BT is still a little disjointed to me, but I have seen so many terrible third entries in movie series to know that this one still works. The bungee chord battle in the Thunderdome between Max and Blaster was incredible, Tina Turner was amazing as Aunty Entity and even provided a ballin' '80s soundtrack. But things always turn south when the children show up...

Fury Road really is a cross bread between Road Warrior and Thunderdome, when you look at it. It even makes a call back to Thunderdome and the War Boys are an obvious evolution of one of the feral children from Thunderdome. It is the genetic make-up of both those movies with a $150 million dollar budget behind it.

I think the action in Fury Road was appropriate for the return of this franchise. It was totally over the top, but still managed to retain a strong underlying narrative and world building. It balanced all those elements really well. Master film making. It was everything I wanted from a modern big budget hollywood movie.

Boney

Banned
Don't feel like starting shot in OT but I was wondering how the mysoginy and racist bubble didn't surface to mainstream levels when it came to The Force Awakens, but with Ghostbusters it felt like a prevalent narrative pre release. I suppose it being a terrible movie with a terrible trailer couldn't produce enough positive voices to drown out the hateful noise but it's still weird.

But having rewatched TFA yesterday, I still give it so much major props for casting and writing a great female and black person for the leads. Unlike GB where it's the whole basis of the pitch and that the movie is completely based on the concept that the GB are now women.

Don't feel like starting shot in OT but I was wondering how the mysoginy and racist bubble didn't surface to mainstream levels when it came to The Force Awakens, but with Ghostbusters it felt like a prevalent narrative pre release. I suppose it being a terrible movie with a terrible trailer couldn't produce enough positive voices to drown out the hateful noise but it's still weird.

But having rewatched TFA yesterday, I still give it so much major props for casting and writing a great female and black person for the leads. Unlike GB where it's the whole basis of the pitch and that the movie is completely based on the concept that the GB are now women.

I mean there were people upset about a female and a black being the leads in star wars just as there were people upset about an all female cast. The two majors differences were that TFA's trailer confirmed the old cast was back showing respect to the classic films while doing its own thing and the film creators ignored the haters to let the film speak for itself which in the end cause the haters to be completely drowned out. Ghostbusters 2016 by contrast had its plot leaked which combined with the first trailer showed the film paying little to no respect to the original and the creative team decided to lash out at the haters and make the film a "us vs mysognistic haters" thing which completely poisoned the well for all parties involved.

Ghostbusters also has a much smaller and more vocal fanbase compared to star wars who've been on a roller coaster ride waiting for a 3rd film for a long time. The combo or harold ramis death followed by the quick remake that seemingly didn't respect the films the fanbase loved (based upon the plot email leaks which ended up being true).

Sanjuro

Because the trailers sucked, also it is a comedy.

komplanen

Basically what BassForever said: Ghostbusters threw everything out: new cast, new uniforms, new proton packs, new car etc. Star Wars only really changed two people and everything else was the same. Heck they even made a feel-good little behind-the-scenes video where they showed how they're shooting on film and most everything was practical costumes and sets.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So either they aren't going to review Star Trek at all, or Rich talked his way out of not being a part of it since he hasn't seen it.

Cheerilee

The combo or harold ramis death followed by the quick remake that seemingly didn't respect the films the fanbase loved (based upon the plot email leaks which ended up being true).

I should point out that the sale of Star Wars to Disney followed by a new Star Wars movie was probably about as quick, but by this point many fans (especially in this thread) hated George Lucas, so they were happy about the idea of Disney disrespecting George, and then Disney still acted classy and pulled in just about the right amount of respect for George, saying that they were using ideas and outlines that he provided (perhaps the key to returning George's work to his prime, in the days when his work was more collaborative), and showing obvious respect to George's better, earlier works.

They managed to satisfy both George's haters and George's fanboys.

Star Wars handled this parallel better than Ghostbusters in just about every way.

Top Bottom