• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Shy

Double down was funny in spite of Landis. But to be fair now that they're more acquainted, he won't be trying to make a point loudly to interject with everyone. Plus he was the one that brought Double Down to watch.

And it's better than Canadian Jim
I like Max. (Jim and Colin too)

But max had nothing to do with RLM watching Double Down.

The reason the Hacks watched it was because of the B-movie film group started by the Pre-Rec chat.

It was one of the Co-Funders who found it, and showed it to all of us.
Then we wouldn't stop telling Jack and Rich about it.

Which convinced Jack (i believe it was) to watch the trailer for it. And he convinced everyone else.

Sanjuro

Wait, people are against having Max back? Who the hell cares.

These hacks could have any number of YouTube frauds using the format and still make an enjoyable program.

Boney

Banned
I like Max. (Jim and Colin too)

But max had nothing to do with RLM watching Double Down.

The reason the Hacks watched it was because of the B-movie film group started by the Pre-Rec chat.

It was one of the Co-Funders who found it, and showed it to all of us.
Then we wouldn't stop telling Jack and Rich about it.

Which convinced Jack (i believe it was) to watch the trailer for it. And he convinced everyone else.
Ahh interesting! I assumed he brought it since he seemed very familiar with Neil Breen. I don't pay much attention to Pre Rec so bummer. But what is this B-movie film group? Sounds yummie

Grinchy

Banned
Seeing as I really liked Max Landis on the last BotW, I'm glad he'll be coming on again. I think his excitedness played well off the guys usual dry, deadpan humour.

Also, how can you hate that episode? It gave us the conversation on Double Down, so it can't be bad.

It's arguably one of the best episodes of BoTW. I don't care a lot for him specifically, but I love him on the show. I can't wait for the next one.

Max was a great combobreaker for BotW, and we get do an update on how his change from 'assignment boy' to 'non-studio man' is working out. He's obviously now in a very different monetary league from RLM (for a while anyway), so that's gonna be interesting.
It's just nice to see the crew being invested into something completely different, since Max Landis is pretty much a classic extravert and they are so not that.

GdDmXIn.png

From the RLM reddit:
RLM just sent out an update with the Patreon plaque that they posted on Twitter. The update ends with:

"Also, this is completely random and totally unrelated to the post we made yesterday [referring to the troll update they sent with the teaser link again], but what's everyone up to this weekend?"

Everyone into the happening bunker.

Now that Pass Thru is releasing they will be 3 Neil Breen movies they haven't covered.
The stars have aligned for a Neil Breen dedicated BOTW.

komplanen

I disliked the idea of Max in a RLM video. Then they did it and I liked it despite his squealing voice. Now I kinda want him back.

I doubt I'll ever watch any of his movies, though.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
With that free Twitch subscribe each month that Prime gives you now, I'll toss it towards Rich and Jack every month. And I get a Pizza Roll™ by my name now!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I would have preferred the first two parts getting chopped off and released separately. I didn't need to see a re-litigation of the prequels.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i liked it. i guess it doesnt live up to expectations because you "expect" so much, but it is an interesting ribbing of the stuff going on around the movie and because of it.

I'll likely be disapponted because while I like Plinkett, RLM back in the days used to exclusively be Mike as Plinkett. But the family has so many shows now that I don't particularly care for Plinkett particularly more. I'd likely take a new Best of the Worst over a new Plinkett.

That was pretty weak. The first half felt like an unnecessary retread of the prequel flaws, and the second half felt like desperate reaching to say stuff about TFA

That was pretty weak. The first half felt like an unnecessary retread of the prequel flaws, and the second half felt like desperate reaching to say stuff about TFA

I think there's a reason they don't do these often. Take too much effort, too much time. The same jokes they can make with Plinkett they can make with a best of the worst only with more people.

Honestly this is probably them appeasing fans because they know it's their most popular series in views alone.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think he could have done more with the passage of more time and the additional contexts of Episodes 8 and 9.

I thought he had a good point about a lack of believable humanity in the characters (sometimes). And about how the years in-between Eps 6 and 7 would have been a more interesting story.

Really though, he needed an editor to talk him out of the first half, and to get him to drill down more on a thorough analysis of TFA. This ends up feeling like a collection of blog posts rather than a complete essay.

What's funny to me is that for all I talk about how much I prefer a more "balanced" level of offensiveness, this video more or less fulfills that desire (minus the "tranny" drop) and it still sucked

They should have cut the ring theory shit because it was completely fucking boring. And they should have rolled the part where they shoot down the pro-prequel revisionism into a segment contrasting it with what TFA does right.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think he could have done more with the passage of more time and the additional contexts of Episodes 8 and 9.

I thought he had a good point about a lack of believable humanity in the characters (sometimes). And about how the years in-between Eps 6 and 7 would have been a more interesting story.

Really though, he needed an editor to talk him out of the first half, and to get him to drill down more on a thorough analysis of TFA. This ends up feeling like a collection of blog posts rather than a complete essay.
TFA is so bland that there's nothing really to talk about though. It's why their review of the film in Half in the Bag was tepid endorsement.

And it's clear from all the remake reviews that they do (Blair Witch being the most recent) that they're more interested in talking about the idea of trying to "soft reboot" franchises and whore them out to the masses.

I'm smart enough to see a blatant soft reboot when it's presented to me, thank you very much.

Anyways did you guys watch The Thing prequel? It was totally originally and worth it~

jett

D-Member

It's not really desperate reaching, it's just stuff that has already been pointed out and discussed several times over. The video felt kinda unnecessary, and it wore out its welcome real soon. Maybe they fell prey to expectations.

It's not really desperate reaching, it's just stuff that has already been pointed out and discussed several times over. The video felt kinda unnecessary, and it wore out its welcome real soon. Maybe they fell prey to expectations.

they most definitely did. People WANTED a new Plinkett, and they knew that with a new Star Wars they wouldn't shut up until they did. Maybe now people won't be clamoring for another one anytime soon.

I wish he'd make more old movies Plinkett reviews.

I was really hoping it'd be a reverse Indiana Jones, where he talks about everything but TFA and eventually says "TFA is good but has some flaws, the end, send me an email on my webzone if you want me to send you a pizza roll"

I liked the video but I agree the first half should have been it's own video ideally released right around the time TFA was coming out ending with a "will TFA be good or will it be fucking crap" tease for an actual TFA review in the future. The second half was basically fine I think the biggest flaw is he didn't go Plinkett enough with it. For our first Plinkett review in years I was expecting something crazy outside of shitting on star wars which should have happened earlier in the video.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That ring section felt like it went on forever for what it ended up adding to the thing. Is this like back in school when I only had a page of a book report and needed two more?

Cheerilee

I think there needed to be an intermission between the first half and the actual TFA review. Or the first stuff should've been a teaser/appetizer released a couple days before the review, but I think the TFA review was a little weak, so a teaser/appetizer wouldn't have been a good idea, which is why I think an intermission would've worked best.

I think Mike really wanted to dig into the details of Star Wars Ring Theory, but there are quicker ways to say "It's bullshit made up by Prequel fans who are reaching."

I think Mike missed an opportunity to comment on the Darth Jar Jar theory.

And I expected Mike to bring up Bob Anderson when talking about how some list-makers think the Prequel fights are better than the originals. Bob Anderson's the legendary fight choreographer who worked on the Original Trilogy of Star Wars, and he's the John Williams of his craft. I think Mike knows who he is (he has to), since he used Die Another Day as an example of the kind of gritty, emotional fight choreography the Prequels could've used, and Die Another Day was another Bob Anderson-choreographed film, but RLM has never really mentioned him by name. George Lucas apparently wanted Bob Anderson to come back for the Phantom Menace, but Anderson said "Sorry, I'm in New Zealand working with Peter Jackson on shit like Boromir's Last Stand."

Top Bottom