• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

I don't know why people even want Plinkett reviews anymore to be honest. Their current stuff is a lot better.

there hasn't exactly been a proper new plinkett review so I'm excited to see how they'd do a modernized one. And now it doesn't just have to be Mike, it could have all of the guys contribute as characters in the review.

Since we are close, and since they already spent their, hopefully, only Ishtar joke, one last remark:

In the Warm Bodies / Movie 43 review, it was clear they hadn't seen anything Twilight when they mocked Warn Bodies. The thing is, Warn Bodies is a fine movie. It's actually funny and charming at times. Yet, they compare it to Twilight which is totally not close in tone or anything to that movie. They clearly did that without watching Twilight. It has always been a bad review.

Yet, they continue to do the same to Ishtar, and a lot of young and dumb kids who will never watch the movie parrot the same thoughts. Ishtar is fine. Move on, ya chumps.

fin.

kevin1025

Banned
Since we are close, and since they already spent their, hopefully, only Ishtar joke, one last remark:

In the Warm Bodies / Movie 43 review, it was clear they hadn't seen anything Twilight when they mocked Warn Bodies. The thing is, Warn Bodies is a fine movie. It's actually funny and charming at times. Yet, they compare it to Twilight which is totally not close in tone or anything to that movie. They clearly did that without watching Twilight. It has always been a bad review.

Yet, they continue to do the same to Ishtar, and a lot of young and dumb kids who will never watch the movie parrot the same thoughts. Ishtar is fine. Move on, ya chumps.

fin.

For me, watching Ishtar beyond the poor VHS quality trailer would take away my expectations of what Ishtar is.

But I do agree, Warm Bodies is a fine movie.

Cheerilee

... Soooo what was it?

Title: "Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars Episode VII_ The Force Awakens Review"

Mike's Mr Plinkett voice: "Star Wars The Force Awakens is the most disappointing thing since..."

[hard cut to Ishtar trailer]

[followed by an hour and a half of black screen and silence]

fin.
Ishtar isn't "fine", it's quite terrible, and quite forgettable (SF Debris used it as an example of one of the many "worst movies of all time" than are mercifully allowed to fade away into the background), and RLM hasn't really said anything about Ishtar, except to keep replaying it's theatrical trailer.

Title: "Mr. Plinkett's Star Wars Episode VII_ The Force Awakens Review"

Mike's Mr Plinkett voice: "Star Wars The Force Awakens is the most disappointing thing since..."

[hard cut to Ishtar trailer]

[followed by an hour and a half of black screen and silence]

Ishtar isn't "fine", it's quite terrible, and quite forgettable (SF Debris used it as an example of one of the many "worst movies of all time" than are mercifully allowed to fade away into the background), and RLM hasn't really said anything about Ishtar, except to keep replaying it's theatrical trailer.
I don't know who SF Debris is. All i know is that I saw Ishtar before the Internet made a thing about it. Before media made a thing at it. It's not the worst comedy of all time. It's not the best comedy of all time. It is an incredibly forgettable comedy. It is a fine comedy. It is something you watch you go, OK, and then you forget. The thing is, this is what most normal people do when they see a comedy. Any comedy.

The reason it is remembered is because it cost so much money, and because the star power attached to this movie. Should Warren Beatty have been in a better movie? Yes. Should Dustin Hoffman have been a better movie? Yes. Should have Elaine May have written and directed a better movie? Yes. And, is it no surprise that the female is forgotten in this movie? Yes.

Sorry, but I dictated this message to my iPhone and I'm not sure how well it turned out.

Rydeen

And, is it no surprise that the female is forgotten in this movie? Yes.

1beddc5fa5dd042074c66605ef1342fe.jpg
hey now, Isabelle Adjani is one of the most luminously beautiful women of all time. Art house film fans know her well for her roles in Werner Herzog's Nosferatu and Possession with Sam Neil, she just never became a mainstream celebrity in the international market.

Cheerilee

I don't know who SF Debris is. All i know is that I saw Ishtar before the Internet made a thing about it. Before media made a thing at it. It's not the worst comedy of all time. It's not the best comedy of all time. It is an incredibly forgettable comedy. It is a fine comedy. It is something you watch you go, OK, and then you forget. The thing is, this is what most normal people do when they see a comedy. Any comedy.

The reason it is remembered is because it cost so much money, and because the star power attached to this movie. Should Warren Beatty have been in a better movie? Yes. Should Dustin Hoffman have been a better movie? Yes. Should have Elaine May have written and directed a better movie? Yes. And, is it no surprise that the female is forgotten in this movie? Yes.

Sorry, but I dictated this message to my iPhone and I'm not sure how well it turned out.

SF Debris is a guy who primarily reviews Star Trek episodes. He's really good. I'd recommend his reviews to anyone.

A couple of years before RLM turned Ishtar into one of their running gags, Chuck from SF Debris reviewed Battlefield Earth, John Travolta's notorious Scientology vanity project, and he namedropped Ishtar (I never even realized it at first, it only clicked after RLM made Ishtar a thing by reminding us that it exists and then I happened to rewatch Chuck's Battlefield Earth review), saying that Ishtar was known as "that really horrible movie" until it became forgotten, but that Battlefield Earth is unlikely to be forgotten.

I can't say how the movie was perceived before RLM made the playing of it's trailer one of their recurring jokes, because it was never on my radar before that, but... it was on the radar of one of my most respected film critics, and he says "It was on a bunch of people's 'worst movies of all time' lists."

I watched it for myself a year ago, and came to my own conclusions about it (none of which were informed by the internet).

I reject the notion that it's a "fine" comedy. I grew up in the 80's. I've seen tons of 80's comedies, both then and now. Good, bad, and in-between. Ishtar is bad. It's really, really bad. It doesn't have "moments". Around fifteen minutes into the movie I frustratedly hit pause and asked myself when the first spark of anything was going to arrive, so I started paying attention and by the time the credits rolled I was actually amazed that there never was one.

Sanjuro

What the fuck? Someone flagged the new Plinkett review?! Now what am I supposed to do with all these warm toasty pizza rolls...

komplanen

It was pretty convincing, 1 hour and 27 minute runtime, spot on intro, identical subscriber youtube page(albeit with only 1 follower), then the Ishtar music starts playing....

Identical what? It wasn't RLM that published the video on their page? It wasn't them?

Then bleh who cares. I missed nothing.

Oh cool, it's been released! Saw a demo a year or two ago when it was a concept to be made, thought it was neat. Jack and Jill seem to be enjoying it too.
edit: and Karen.

It's basically just 'jump from truck to truck'.

Seeing as I really liked Max Landis on the last BotW, I'm glad he'll be coming on again. I think his excitedness played well off the guys usual dry, deadpan humour.

Also, how can you hate that episode? It gave us the conversation on Double Down, so it can't be bad.

BigAT

Seeing as I really liked Max Landis on the last BotW, I'm glad he'll be coming on again. I think his excitedness played well off the guys usual dry, deadpan humour.

Also, how can you hate that episode? It gave us the conversation on Double Down, so it can't be bad.

They're all Neil Breen alt accounts trying to suppress the hate.

Boney

Banned
Double down was funny in spite of Landis. But to be fair now that they're more acquainted, he won't be trying to make a point loudly to interject with everyone. Plus he was the one that brought Double Down to watch.

And it's better than Canadian Jim

Top Bottom