• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the frustrating thing about RLM is that they are willing to just live in their ignorance and make no effort to even try to understand other people's views. It's just weird seeing them talk about this stuff when they clearly don't care about any of it and wallow in their ignorant white guy characters. It'd be better if they didn't bother mentioning any of that stuff altogether.

I mean didn't he make a joke when they were streaming Mr President that the bodyguard should just let Trump get shot? Maybe it was Jack. I'm sure one of them did.

If I had to guess, Rich is mostly apolitical (with a dash of "both sides") but at the same time is probably frustrated by how embarrassing Trump is.

Latimer

Banned
I think the frustrating thing about RLM is that they are willing to just live in their ignorance and make no effort to even try to understand other people's views. It's just weird seeing them talk about this stuff when they clearly don't care about any of it and wallow in their ignorant white guy characters. It'd be better if they didn't bother mentioning any of that stuff altogether.
That's why it's funny.

Tbh I pretty much agree with that when it comes to RLM this year. I guess BVS was fun. Even BOTW hasn't been doing it much for me lately, I dunno.

I blame Space Cop...!

I havent watched their Strange review yet because I'm waiting until I've seen it myself, but on this topic in general...

It's Mike. He's always been the driving force behind all this and the dynamic has changed as he has.

Previously he was more well rounded and nuanced with his critiques, acting as a challenger for Jay who was the more opinionated and sometimes downright finicky. I used to call Mike 'the above-average average' and Jay the 'artsy fartsy armchair authority'. Their dynamic typically had Mike leading dominant with Jay on the defensive. Mike was not shy about challenging Jay and Jay stuck to his guns in return. The tension enhanced the conversation.

Mike has gotten apparently burned out in the past year and his tastes have changed as a result. He hardly gives a shit anymore about anything except seeing something new and exciting, even if that takes the form of a trashy haphazard mess. He doesn't even make much of an effort to defend it, it just is what it is. He has more fun with a cheesy mess than he does with a good cookie-cutter. At least a cheesy mess makes him feel something if he laughs at it.

Jay on the other hand, without a dominant Mike to oppose him anymore, has cooled off a little and ended up closer to the middle. With Mike effectively saying "fuck it," they no longer challenge each other. Jay just politely waits for Mike to finish and then shares his very middle of the road opinion unopposed. They might rib each other a little bit but the tension isn't there anymore. Without the tension they dont dig into the nitty gritty, it becomes less like insightful critique and more like run of the mill opinion piece.

Jay is now often dominant as 'the above-average average' and Mike just don't give a fuck. I'm still in love with their channel and still find it very funny and sometimes insightful, but I would totally agree that it has lost its edge recently and you can trace it back to Mike.

Honestly if they want to get some of that magic back then I think they need to make Rich a major player. He's frequently around HitB but usually as more of a guest than a host. The reason being that Rich is a huge finicky asshole and he can effectively fill the role Jay used to fill. Jay is now more suited to the role Mike used to play in those conversations. You pit Jay directly against Rich one on one and you're going to get a lot of energy similar to classic Mike vs Jay.

I think Mike is more intelligently insightful than either of them when he wants to be, but that's not the case right now. Give him Rich's current role in HitB as a frequent guest (and as Real Plinkett) and let him continue to steer the ship behind the scenes as well. Maybe if he starts watching fewer movies he'll provide higher quality insight as he did before.

tl;dr These men are pawns.

Sanjuro

I havent watched their Strange review yet because I'm waiting until I've seen it myself, but on this topic in general...

It's Mike. He's always been the driving force behind all this and the dynamic has changed as he has.

Previously he was more well rounded and nuanced with his critiques, acting as a challenger for Jay who was the more opinionated and downright finicky. I used to call Mike 'the above-average average' and Jay the 'artsy fartsy armchair authority'. Their dynamic typically had Mike leading dominant with Jay on the defensive. Mike was not shy about challenging Jay and Jay stuck to his guns in return. The tension enhanced the conversation.

Mike has gotten apparently burned out in the past year and his tastes have changed as a result. He hardly gives a shit anymore about anything except seeing something new and exciting, even if that takes the form of a trashy haphazard mess. He doesn't even make much of an effort to defend it, it just is what it is. He has more fun with a cheesy mess than he does with a good cookie-cutter. At least a cheesy mess makes him feel something if he laughs.

Jay on the other hand, without a dominant Mike to oppose him anymore, has cooled off a little and ended up closer to the middle. With Mike effectively saying "fuck it," they no longer challenge each other. Jay just politely waits for Mike to finish and then shares his very middle of the road opinion unopposed. They might rib each other a little bit but the tension isn't there anymore. Without the tension it becomes less like insightful critique and more like run of the mill opinion piece.

Jay is now often dominant as 'the above-average average' and Mike just don't give a fuck. I'm still in love with their channel and still find it very funny and sometimes insightful, but I would totally agree that it has lost its edge recently and you can trace it back to Mike.

tl;dr These men are pawns.

I average seeing about two films a week at the cinemas. It's very easy to get burned out on the product.

Star Trek Beyond was a weird anomaly; Mike was genuinely excited and enthusiastic about a movie. That was gone immediately after that HITB.

This was for me as well. It was a really fun film and not what I was expecting based on all the pre-production complaints from the fanbase.

Shy

It's funny to white dudes exclusively. Good for white dudes I guess
Yeah, pretty much. They're veering into that "Get Er Done" guy whose name I can never remember. Larry the Cable Guy?
Yeah. *sigh*
xHqsn3M.gif

I'm getting pretty tired of their sarcasm about racism and shit like that. It sours the whole video when I see it every fucking time nowadays. It rings differently than their other dark humor.

inky

It won't affect him, so he'll continue to shrug it off and be an apathetic, politically inactive citizen. Such is democracy.

Cheerilee

Lol, Rich is going to get so much shit after tonight.

My prediction of Rich's response: "It's not my fault Trump became President. I didn't vote for him, I never encouraged anyone to vote for him, and he didn't win my State by 1/2 of a vote. I tried to warn you that Hillary wasn't good enough. You didn't listen."

Won't stop people from giving him shit.

It won't affect him, so he'll continue to shrug it off and be an apathetic, politically inactive citizen. Such is democracy.
Im politically inactive in this electoral college system. I see the point of every vote counts because there are X or Y people like me not voting due to being in a red state. But you can keep saying it and it won't change my mind. If my vote is only being used in a weight scale to see who will end up getting all of the points of the state, and the Republicans win every time by a decently large margin, I have no incentive.

inky

Im politically inactive in this electoral college system. I see the point of every vote counts because there are X or Y people like me not voting due to being in a red state. But you can keep saying it and it won't change my mind. If my vote is only being used in a weight scale to see who will end up getting all of the points of the state, and the Republicans win every time by a decently large margin, I have no incentive.

That's your choice.

I just realized they follow Sargon of Akkad on Twitter.

It's weird, considering that they've always come off as pragmatical first, rather than ideologically leaning. They talk a lot about diversity being a good thing, about how women are given limited types of roles etc etc.

But hey, they follow a lot of other good guys on Twitter, so I'm going to respect them.

MrHoot

I just realized they follow Sargon of Akkad on Twitter.

It's weird, considering that they've always come off as pragmatical first, rather than ideologically leaning. They talk a lot about diversity being a good thing, about how women are given limited types of roles etc etc.

But hey, they follow a lot of other good guys on Twitter, so I'm going to respect them.

If Hbomberguy taught me anything, is that you have to worry if you start seeing skulls put in evidence in the background.

It's always the fucking skulls

LakeEarth

I watched Space Cop this weekend. Well... that was something!

Obvious opinion, but if I just saw this movie and didn't know who RLM was, I'd probably find no enjoyment out of it overall. I did get a good laugh out of the scene involving Space Cop's second hostage situation from beginning to end.

Next on the agenda, Gorilla Interrupted. Oh boy!

Top Bottom