• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Rockk

I think I would like a horror/comedy anthology with Mike's parody ideas. "The Inside", "Silent Screams" and maybe one more (That gag shop murder idea from a BOTW episode perhaps). Don't try to drag out the concept like they did "Space Cop."

Have Rich Evans be the Crypt Keeper-esque character to tie the stories together.

And maybe Rich's one about a group of people trying to escape from a college art film.

Geeky

And maybe Rich's one about a group of people trying to escape from a college art film.

Yeah, I forgot about that one. The running gag through the short could be "What does it mean!?"

Four 20-30 minute ideas could be really good. Get in and get out with the premise and evenly space out the jokes and I think I would like it.

SpaceWolf

Banned
I think I would like a horror/comedy anthology with Mike's parody ideas. "The Inside", "Silent Screams" and maybe one more (That gag shop murder idea from a BOTW episode perhaps). Don't try to drag out the concept like they did "Space Cop."

Have Rich Evans be the Crypt Keeper-esque character to tie the stories together.

Genuinely saddened you left out "THE WALL".

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
shouldnt they just make ~30 min short films of these ideas instead? they could wrap it in something i suppose and make it like a tv show, but they'd take forever to make at the same time. and the rest of the shows would suffer from lack of content

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Mike's fake movies narration was amazing, so perfect.

"It's an old lady in the wall! She's the old house owner but didn't want to move out." lol

Shy

NEW COMMENTARY TRACK

a0382104373_16.jpg

https://redlettermedia.bandcamp.com/track/gremlins-1984-commentary-track
SON OF .......... beat me by a min.

So I want to just rant here because I don't know where else to do it.

My boss was offered the lead role in Tremors way back when. He turned it down because of the advice he was received was basically it was a C movie or something to that regard. I'm not him, but from my outsider POV it just looks like he still regrets it. Maybe I just read too much into those things, but it just bothers me and especially so when RLM did that video on Tremors (I enjoyed that episode too) recently.

Bleh.

Cheerilee

My boss was offered the lead role in Tremors way back when. He turned it down because of the advice he was received was basically it was a C movie or something to that regard. I'm not him, but from my outsider POV it just looks like he still regrets it. Maybe I just read too much into those things, but it just bothers me and especially so when RLM did that video on Tremors (I enjoyed that episode too) recently.

Bleh.

It happens. Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and went with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen instead, because he thought that movie looked more like a winner.

Connery missed out on a half-billion dollars because of that decision (Warner had offered Connery a percentage share of the profits that they never offered Ian McKellen, but he turned it down because profit-sharing on a bomb is worthless).

He concluded that if his judgement was that bad, then maybe he really was growing old and out of touch, and maybe it was time for him to retire.

aravuus

Good commentary. It was nice to watch Gremlins again after all these years. It was a lot more clever movie than I remembered, which the guys definitely liked to point out every 5 minutes.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks

Bleh.

there is no assurance that the movie would be as cult-classic as it is today with another lead instilled.

NEW COMMENTARY TRACK

Gremlins (1984)

As much as I enjoy their commentary tracks, they really need to put a time stamp on when to start the movie. In this case, It has to be synced up with the movie after the WB logo.

Well great, now I not only need The Inside, I need Gremlins in the White House with President Clamp, too.

President Clamp with Gremlins infesting the White House sounds amazing!

komplanen

As much as I enjoy their commentary tracks, they really need to put a time stamp on when to start the movie. In this case, It has to be synced up with the movie after the WB logo.
!

You mean like they said on the page (and for the page of every one of their commentary tracks):

*** Gremlins starts with the Warner Bros. Logo then fades right into a shot of Chinatown. No credits or anything else. You should hit play on the commentary track AFTER the Warner Bros. Logo and as the first shot fades in.

Cheerilee

NEW COMMENTARY TRACK

Gremlins (1984)

Mike: Do you remember when they made that surefire hit... uhh... Pan?
Jay: Oh yeah. Was that last year?
Mike: Yeah. Hugh Jackman as... is it Captain Bluebeard? Or whatever the fuck.
Jay: (laughing) Captain Hook.
Mike: Oh, it's Captain Hook. (laughing) Yeah, Bluebeard's a real pirate.
Mike: Yeah. What a hit.
Mike: It cost $300 million to make.
Rich: In other words, stay away from Peter Pan. It doesn't work.
Mike: Give up with Peter Pan already. When was the last successful Peter Pan film? Peter Pan?
Jay: The old Disney one? Probably.
Rich: Yeah.

How Tinker Bell Became Disney's Stealthy $300 Million Franchise
CvJE0bJ.jpg

Have the guys ever laughed as much in an episode of best of the worst as when Jay sets himself up for a gay joke and Mike fully uses it? Like they couldn't control their laughter for almost a minute if not more. It's in the alienator/alien from the deep/hands of steel episode

komplanen

Have the guys ever laughed as much in an episode of best of the worst as when Jay sets himself up for a gay joke and Mike fully uses it? Like they couldn't control their laughter for almost a minute if not more. It's in the alienator/alien from the deep/hands of steel episode

One of the best things to ever happen in any video.

Man, you have to wonder if they actually planned to have a Gremlins commentary track or just flat out went 'fuck it, we in Gremlinland now'.

I went ahead and also watched Gremlins 2 again, since the last time I saw it was on VHS still. So many references, including shitting on its own prequel. So awesome.
Also, while I did see it before, I never got the 'Dr Quartermass' office reference. That was a (productive) character written by Nigel Kneale, who also wrote the Halloween 3 first 'draft' in four weeks. He disowned it and it got retooled to some degree by the director, but I'm pretty sure a lot of it survived into the eventual movie. For some reason I've never actually seen any the Quartermass movies (1950's production though, so that's probably why).

And I really, reeeaaally want to see president Clamp now. I can see it now: The savior of New York, making America build again.
Until the gremlins return, find themselves out of the times in a gadget store ("TV!" and then discover it's flat and all) where they get bored (a first), until they discover... Youtube. "it's gonna be great! it's gonna great! hehehe!"
I mean, it would be relevant, and kind of within the 'found footage' assignment Max Landis got for it. Found footage isn't comedy though, since a character can't be in on the joke. But you could make some viral videos with it, so that might be fun. 'Gremlins in the White House' sounds more in the spirit of 2 though, while going in all those Die Hard wannabee's today.

Also, the effects of the gremlins melting and such still looks amazing.

Cheerilee

*Oh hey, Youtube is recommending me a RLM video I have never seen before! What could this be?*
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2lnI_XqHSU

Kill me

Seriously, how have I never seen this......thing

Fun story, the old lady is apparently Rich Evans' grandmother, who pretty much raised him, since Rich had a rocky path through life. She agreed to play along with Rich's silly friends.

One day several years ago, Rich was wandering around in a video store trying to decide on something to watch, and the guy behind the counter was a rare RLM fan who wasn't sure it was really Rich Evans he was looking at, so he dug up a tape of this and put it on the in-store TV to see if it would draw his attention.

Rich's grandmother had died. He got to experience the sensation of suddenly hearing her disembodied voice coming out of nowhere speaking gibberish, as he's minding his own business going about his day.

komplanen

Fun story, the old lady is apparently Rich Evans' grandmother, who pretty much raised him, since Rich had a rocky path through life. She agreed to play along with Rich's silly friends.

One day several years ago, Rich was wandering around in a video store trying to decide on something to watch, and the guy behind the counter was a rare RLM fan who wasn't sure it was really Rich Evans he was looking at, so he dug up a tape of this and put it on the in-store TV to see if it would draw his attention.

Rich's grandmother had died. He got to experience the sensation of suddenly hearing her disembodied voice coming out of nowhere speaking gibberish, as he's minding his own business going about his day.

Hahaha oh my God

This is the most Rich Evans story possible

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything

Oh my god.That story sounds just fucked up enough to be believable

It happens. Sean Connery turned down the role of Gandalf in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings and went with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen instead, because he thought that movie looked more like a winner.

Connery missed out on a half-billion dollars because of that decision (Warner had offered Connery a percentage share of the profits that they never offered Ian McKellen, but he turned it down because profit-sharing on a bomb is worthless).

He concluded that if his judgement was that bad, then maybe he really was growing old and out of touch, and maybe it was time for him to retire.

Yeah, but Connery already was a famous actor by that time. I do get your point though! :(

there is no assurance that the movie would be as cult-classic as it is today with another lead instilled.

From what he was saying, it was written for him in mind as the lead. I have no doubts they adjust those things and such, however from my extremely unique perspective, picturing him in Tremors instead of Bacon just cracks me up to no end! He's an extremely unique character, that's for sure!

Also, that latest HITB was my favorite one this year. I'm probably forgetting some gems though!

Top Bottom