• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

Shy

No stream tonight because from the looks of things they're filming the Christmas BOTW.
Yeah, I'm in this exact same boat. I find PreRec to be pretty unwatchable
Yeah. 😞

I was dreading their review of TLG, because i already knew what they were going to say. (still haven't watched it yet) *sigh*

Cheerilee

No stream tonight because from the looks of things they're filming the Christmas BOTW.

Yeah. 😞

I was dreading their review of TLG, because i already knew what they were going to say. (still haven't watched it yet) *sigh*

They said the dog is an amazing technological achievement. The way it looks, behaves, everything.
They said you have to constantly fight the controls (by obvious design, but it still means you have to fight the controls).
They said the puzzles are too linear.
They took some shots at the art (after a spoiler warning), and the fact that art cannot have flaws, therefore these things that make no sense cannot be criticized.
They said that videogames can have art (it's an optional nice-to-have in a game), but a videogame fundamentally must have game. TLG is all art, no game.

DrSlek

They said the dog is an amazing technological achievement. The way it looks, behaves, everything.
They said you have to constantly fight the controls (by obvious design, but it still means you have to fight the controls).
They took some shots at the art (after a spoiler warning), and the fact that art cannot have flaws, therefore these things that make no sense cannot be criticized.
They said that videogames can have art (it's an optional nice-to-have in a game), but a videogame fundamentally must have game. TLG is all art, no game.

Also the story made no sense.

MrHoot

I can understand some of ther criticism, but as always they come of as incredibly shallow and simplisitc , which is why i could never really stomach pre-rec. They always come up as lazy and easily dismissive as long as it doesn't fit the narrow, simple expectation of what a game can be. I think the only time I liked one of their thing was for The Order, mostly because it presented itself a lot like a movie and so they were more in the "movie critic" stance than the game one

I find myself agreeing with many of their criticisms even if I'm more forgiving of the issues then they are for most games they review. The sonic review is the only one I can think of where I really disagreed yet their general premise (high speed and small screen is a bad combo) I can't disagree with either.

komplanen

Holy shit!

Why did no one tell me Dirk Gently's Holistic Detective Agency is so fucking good?

Max Landis just went up real fucking high in my books. Oh my god...

EDIT: I mean yes, Douglas Adams wrote the books, but I mean the show is really well done!

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Jay: good action, flat characters

Rich: yeah whatever. it was fine. already burned out for ep viii

Mike: best thing since Independent Day Resurgence

Not

Banned
I really enjoyed that last Best of the Worst. Cool to see "how the sausage is made;" not surprised it's all fake

Let's predict their review for the Rogue One.

Jay "It has some problems but it's enjoyable".

Rich "It's OK".

Mike "I loved it".
Everything I've seen from the trailers makes it seem like the movie will be ok, fairly enjoyable but not anything that will rank super high among star wars films.

I assume the guys will like it and say it's worth watching. But I doubt they'll say "mother of God it's among the best star wars movies. Go watch it now"

Sephzilla

I'm actually predicting Jay and Rich will like it more than Mike. They'll like that it's a more grounded "war" movie set in the Star Wars universe and Mike will be a little upset that there wasn't as much schlock.

Side note: I'm still perplexed that they don't like Independence Day but like Independence Day: Resurgence. The original movie is popcorn schlock in all of the right ways, the sequel was Star Wars prequel level trash

Rich "It's OK".

Mike "I loved it".

One of them will like it when they try to separate the overall plot of getting the plans, but will be taken out when they re-contextualize something that happened in Episode IV.

Sanjuro

Jay needs to like Rouge One. Rich needs to be snarky on Rouge One. Mike needs to hate Rouge One.

Otherwise RLM isn't for me and damn them to hell!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Rich "It's OK".

Mike "I loved it".

They will spend no less than 5 minutes complaining about something from the ending...

Tantive IV being at the battle rather than having the plans transmitted to them

Rich "It's OK".

Mike "I loved it".

I think that's a pretty safe bet for Jay. He's pretty stable lately.

Rich I'm having doubts about. Typically I assume he'll hate everything because his soul is dark and cold and angry, but this new movie seems just fan-fictiony enough that it might tickle the few remaining living cells in his neckbeard heart. You're probably still right.

Since this movie was a little more cheesy than TFA I'm assuming Mike will take kindly to it, just depends on how burned out he is by now. I'm inclined to say that he'll like it but he just might not give a shit anymore. I fear he might jump lump it into the same group as Marvel movies and dismiss it.

Schlorgan

I'm actually predicting Jay and Rich will like it more than Mike. They'll like that it's a more grounded "war" movie set in the Star Wars universe and Mike will be a little upset that there wasn't as much schlock.

Side note: I'm still perplexed that they don't like Independence Day but like Independence Day: Resurgence. The original movie is popcorn schlock in all of the right ways, the sequel was Star Wars prequel level trash
I can see that. He liked X-Men Apocalypse more than Civil War for that very reason.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
These hackfrauds stayed up til 4am filming their review last year but they can't be bothered to get it out on time this year too? Lazy bums

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
That last Wheel of the Worst proved my previous point.

WOTW is a shitty feature and they shouldn't do it. Every time it's WOTW and not BOTW it's a giant disappointment

NR1

Rich "It's OK".

Mike "I loved it".

I would say this is pretty on point. Rich may like it a little more than just "It Ok" though. I suspect Rich will appreciate the Easter eggs and lore more then the average person since he is pretty into then property, similarly with Mike. Jay will be the most critical, but will ultimately give it a pass. I expect him to say something snarky like, "Well, it's the best Star Wars prequel that's for sure."

I also suspect that their will be a lengthy discussion on the merits of this film even needing to exist. "Is this a story that needed to be told? The rebels stole the Death Star plans. We got it. Who cares? We know this already, do we really need a movie explaining in detail how this was done? Probably not, but it sells toys. Disney needs that sweet Star Wars money."

morningbus

Serious Sam is a wicked gahbidge series for chowdaheads.
6EhqmIH.jpg

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think Mike will love it, more than TFA, Jay too probably. Rich will say meh.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
i actually didnt mind the last WOTW. i enjoyed it just seeing what they had to go through.

as far as the last guardian, no opinion on the game itself, but you just cant take jack/rich's actual criticisms seriously. its a boring review when they both like a game, but generally games they both LIKE are pretty enjoyable to watch them play at least.

Top Bottom