• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Red Letter Media |OT| of Movies, Murderers, and Pizza Rolls

the name "Jessi" was just mentionned on stream

This is not a test

I repeat, Jessi IS alive

I just assume at this point they're still friends with her but she just isn't involved at all with RLM. At least in the same capacity as before where her name was here and there in videos.

At least they said Rogue One was better than the prequels by a county mile

Coming from these guys it isn't very much praise though. I mean RLM specifically became popular because of how much they hate the prequels.

It's funny, that "masturbatory experience" thing they described at the end of the review will probably perfectly describe the people here waiting for them to shit on this movie too!

Seesaw15

LrHWDB0.png
*Rich Evans Laugh*

komplanen

They are so right about the movie that I almost feel embarrassed for not thinking about some of these things even though I noticed and felt them. The movie really has some of the most shallow-built characters in a while.

munchie64

Funny as hell review, even though I disagreed pretty heavily.

While a lot of what they say is true, their overall desires for what the film should have been just doesn't align with what I wanted.

TDLink

Some of what they said is true (the characters -are- dry, for example). But I disagreed with most of it. I think it's weird they praised TFA (and still do a bit in this one) and yet are complaining about the callbacks/"Fanservice" in this since they were much better integrated in Rogue One in general. The Darth Vader part at the end was the only major thing that was actually unnecessary fanservice, but it was good so I didn't mind it being in the film.

I especially disagree with them saying Star Wars is a very limited franchise just because it always has stormtroopers and Tie Fighters and X-Wings, etc. That stuff of course had to be in this movie because it takes place like a hour before ANH, but the franchise doesn't always need those things. They also said it's bad whenever it doesn't focus on that stuff (despite complaining about it) and showed Tales of the Jedi...even though Tales of the Jedi and the KOTOR games it spawned are fantastic and a perfect example of how expansive Star Wars can in fact be.

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.
I agree with a lot of what they're saying but lend towards the positive camp.

"Rogue One is the greatest Star Wars fan film ever made." is off the mark as a fan film would try to include more lightsabers with prequel style fights like most of them do

Some of what they said is true (the characters -are- dry, for example). But I disagreed with most of it. I think it's weird they praised TFA (and still do a bit in this one) and yet are complaining about the callbacks/"Fanservice" in this since they were much better integrated in Rogue One in general. The Darth Vader part at the end was the only major thing that was actually unnecessary fanservice, but it was good so I didn't mind it being in the film.

The fanservice in this is way more hamfisted. The first Vader scene had no purpose at all and all the cameos are distracting. Particularly because they try so hard to have everything look just like Episode 4, but then the tone doesn't fit Episode 4 at all. All this weird middle-eastern war imagery completely clashes with the goofy throwbacks and the Star Wars universe in general.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
It's funny, I agree with their review almost entirely, but I think it's a much better film than Star Wars 7. I have absolutely no desire to watch that movie again, yet I could probably sit through Rogue One again if I was forced to do so.

aravuus

Cameos/fanservice were awful in both movies, but I have to admit... I loved the last Vader scene in this. Otherwise I also think Rogue One's were a bit more hamfisted.

I more or less agree with them, particularly with Jay. I didn't hate the movie, the last 45 minutes of action kind of saved it for me cause it was mostly fun action, but I doubt I'll be thinking about this movie a lot after a couple of days. Definitely enjoyed VII more in the cinema, though I haven't had particularly much motivation to watch it again either.

While a lot of what they say is true, their overall desires for what the film should have been just doesn't align with what I wanted.

I think everyone having different desires in the new Star Wars movies is what it all comes down to if you're going like Rogue One and how it compares to The Force Awakens.

I'm more aligned with those hacks than Star Wars fans where I really wanted was a solid story-telling and characters and some cleverness. And, boy, I never agreed so strongly with the RLM than I ever had with any other movie.

bwahahaha I nearly spewed my drink when Mike said "When Vader turned on his lightsaber I heard so many
cocks getting hard
"

It's only a matter of time before Star Wars films have to be preceded by the "Let's all go to the lobby" snacks singing about not whipping your dick out in the theater like they did for the Aqua Teen Hunger Force movie.

Grinchy

Banned
Wow, before this HiTB, I just assumed this movie was exactly what they were describing. I thought it was a group infiltrating the death star to steal plans. I had no idea the plans were being held in some random place and it was a war movie. An Ocean's Eleven Star Wars movie sounds so fun compared to this.

TheSun

I may disagree with a lot of the stuff they said about the film(like the Donnie Yen bit) but I loved that Rich jig.

Overall I really loved the movie. I thought the two main leads were pretty uninteresting but the others made up for it. Tarken was really distracting too.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
I think it's weird to say that Star Wars can only have one tone, like they're admitting that they, as viewers with biases, are the problem? Rogue One lacks charisma but I think you can make this kind of dark tone work just fine with some tweaking.

I liked the movie, but I also am familiar with Gareth Edwards so I went into it just looking for "watch people do some things in neat sci-fantasy environments" and that's what I got. I think you need to be on-board with that kind of experience to like this movie, and they weren't. Oh well.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think it's weird to say that Star Wars can only have one tone, like they're admitting that they, as viewers with biases, are the problem? Rogue One lacks charisma but I think you can make this kind of dark tone work just fine with some tweaking.
They're right though - you don't really care about anything that happens, so the tone is kind of lost on you if you're not invested in what happens to the characters.

It's funny when they said Saving Private Ryan is a more "fun" film, because as cliche as it was, I can still remember some of the character moments. "Fubar? What's Fubar?"

Top Bottom